• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
If you did not know, the Chinese government stopped approving games for launch in the world's largest country back in March 2018. This also include games from local developers. There were many reasons behind this action, such as the concern for game addiction, "inappropriate" content, and etc. 6 months after the stoppage, game approvals resumed and the civil unit in charge, State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television of The People's Republic of China, recently revealed the first 80 approved games.

According to the list of 80 titles, there were no big titles, especially none for Tencent Games and NetEase, China's largest game companies. There are 6 PC games, 6 browser games, 1 PlayStation 4 game, and 67 mobile games.

Source: https://mmoculture.com/2018/12/spec...-list-of-80-games-approved-after-6-month-ban/

No Tencent and Netease games appearing on the list is really interesting to see. I wonder why is that.
Lock if already posted.

EDIT #1:
''12月的审批名单,唯一的游戏机类-PS4——人类拯救计划 ''

Just found it, that one PS4 game is Animal Force (人类拯救计划 ) for PSVR. The official Chinese title is ''Human Rescue Project'' for some reason.

ps4rlzjjh.jpg

Seems like a fun game I guess.

Funny because Knack is the only game that got passed back in 2015.

Last edited:

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Can you imagine being the only new PS4 game in 6 months, in a country of 1.4 billion people.

$$$$$

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ye as someone already mentioned, most games are already available via the black-market (which is huge and widely available). I have some friends who went back there after graduation, and they usually end up playing games before me lol.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
China is a near flawless dictatorship. Death camps, harsh restrictions on speech, no freedom of press, planting Han-Chinese in Tibet to change their culture, attempting to integrate Taiwan into their country. Oh, and video games. Fuck 'em.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
China is a near flawless dictatorship. Death camps, harsh restrictions on speech, no freedom of press, planting Han-Chinese in Tibet to change their culture, attempting to integrate Taiwan into their country. Oh, and video games. Fuck 'em.

Without wanting to derail the thread, the bolded text is not happening. Han-Chinese don't like the hights of Tibet and Tibetans still constitute the majority there. What you're probably referring to is Xinjiang/Uyghuristan.

On topic: Chinese console gamers don't really care. The majority of the games come from Hong Kong anyways.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
What is the Playstation 4 game allowed was life of black tiger?

I wish that China didn't look attractive to companies because in the end foreign companies are always at a disadvantage in China.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they just create a US account and buy credits on the internet for it and download the game to their PS4s?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
According to my Chinese ex the 广电总局 is basically everything that's wrong with their country. (Actually she called it can*er but hey let's not do that here)

Does anyone know what the one PS4 game is? The list is in Chinese.

The list didn't show platform of the title and the publishers are all replaced with Chinese publishers so all of them could be that PS4 game...do you know which one is the PS4 game? I can translate if I know which one it is.

EDIT: Just found it, see my post below.

This is basically how we feel right now.
001.jpg

They have over 2,000 ballistic missiles aimed at us, to say that life in Taiwan is exciting is an understatement.

Last edited:

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

Just found it, that one PS4 game is Animal Force (人类拯救计划 ) for PSVR. The official Chinese title is ''Human Rescue Project'' for some reason.

ps4rlzjjh.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMTHEFOX

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

ps4rlzjjh.jpg

Yeah, you're right. I just looked up the chinese title on Google Images. WIll update the original post to reflect this.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
They must be very serious about this if they're willing to damage big Chinese companies in the process. I wonder how long it'll last (I suppose not everyone in the party is happy with this situation).

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
The black market is still very open and vibrant in China. There are dozens and dozens of games shops in certain districts in Shanghai (Xujiahui being the biggest). I bought my PS4 back in 2015, and I've been able to get any physical copy of a game I want. As someone mentioned in this thread, sometimes we can get them a day or two before the global release date*. Who knows how long it will last though. The current leadership in Beijing have been very successful in censorship, so all it would take is pressure on city mayors to shut these places down, and they would be gone tomorrow. I guess they have bigger fish to fry, but I don't doubt for a minute that it will become very difficult to get banned games in the near future.

I'm leaving Shanghai, and moving to Seoul full time in March, so luckily I won't have to worry about China's crazy, ever-growing censorship. Another added bonus is how insanely fast and cheap internet is in Korea. It's a beautiful thing after living behind the Great Firewall, and using VPNs for years.

*English copies of Japanese games that were released in HK before the west can prove difficult to get as there's little demand for strictly English translated games (think an American physical release) in China. English copies of DQ11 took almost two weeks to arrive at game stores here, for instance.