• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just found these tweets reporting that the Chinese Nintendo Switch games that are being published by Tencent and sold for approximately $40 each are region locked to the Chinese Tencent Switch system, the Chinese Switch can play imported Switch games but online won't work for imports, international Switch systems will not be able to play Tencent Switch games:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So its basically iQue all over again, but maybe with Tencent it will have a wider catalogue. Kinda sucks for Mainland China. I would think in 2019 these kinda practices would be done with, but this does explain how the major console manufacturers never have and possibly never could gain significant market share over there.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So its basically iQue all over again, but maybe with Tencent it will have a wider catalogue. Kinda sucks for Mainland China. I would think in 2019 these kinda practices would be done with, but this does explain how the major console manufacturers never have and possibly never could gain significant market share over there.
Well, at least you can play imported games this time.
Iirc with iQUE you only could play dowloaded games.
I think the N64 chinese version had a rewritable cartridge that you had to take to a stand to put the games in.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Well, at least you can play imported games this time.
Iirc with iQUE you only could play dowloaded games.
I think the N64 chinese version had a rewritable cartridge that you had to take to a stand to put the games in.
It's more like the iQue GBA and DS models, which let you play physical games from any region.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
It's like like the iQue GBA and DS models, which let you play physical games from any region.
Didn't know that.

EDIT: I was right about the N64 version:
Games for the iQue Player are stored on a 64 MB flash card which is contained within a cartridge that plugs directly into the controller/console. Games were purchased at a special "iQue depot", where games could be downloaded onto the cartridge and played later, in a similar manner to the Famicom Disk System, Satellaview, Nintendo 64DD and Nintendo DS Download Play. Games could also be downloaded by connecting the iQue to a PC.
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQue_Player

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Censorship

Chinese government is pretty strict so all content has to go through certification

So the reason Chinese switches can play games from any region, but Chinese games won't work outside of China is Chinese government censorship? How does that make sense?
The reason almost certainly is that the games are much cheaper in China and Nintendo don't want people outside China importing the cheap games.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
So the reason Chinese switches can play games from any region, but Chinese games won't work outside of China is Chinese government censorship? How does that make sense?
The reason almost certainly is that the games are much cheaper in China and Nintendo don't want people outside China importing the cheap games.
Oh i skimmed over, thought they could only play chinese games, my bad, idk whats going on then

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
Oh i skimmed over, thought they could only play chinese games, my bad, idk whats going on then

What's going on is Tencent have managed a deal where they can sell cheaply to the Chinese market without Nintendo having to "worry" about the rest of the world's pricing being affected by export from China.

It's grey import market control.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
What's going on is Tencent have managed a deal where they can sell cheaply to the Chinese market without Nintendo having to "worry" about the rest of the world's pricing being affected by export from China.

It's grey import market control.
Yikes, so much for no region locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.