• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017

vastking_g800_7.jpg

vastking_g800_2.jpg

vastking_g800_6.jpg

https://www.windowscentral.com/vastking-g800-nintendo-switch-windows-10-gamers
As reported by Notebook Italia, Chinese manufacturer Vastking has debuted the G800 – a portable gaming tablet clearly drawing heavy inspiration from Nintendo's handheld.
The Vastking G800 comes with an 8-inch IPS display at 1920 x 1200 resolution, a 1.1GHz Intel Pentium N4200 processor and RAM configurations of 2GB, 3GB, 4GB or 6GB. The device also offers 32GB of embedded storage as standard, expandable via an SD card. The device also offers WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity and 3,400 mAH battery. Other features of the tablet include a gyroscope and 2-megapixel front-facing camera. Across the top of the device, USB-C, USB-A, micro HDMI and 3.5mm audio can all be found, alongside a dedicated volume rocker.
The external wireless controllers are what makes this tablet truly unique, both usable when detached and connected to the side of the tablet. Utilizing WiFi connectivity, these controllers offer a traditional controller layout, with triggers, buttons and two thumbsticks.
As of right now, Vastking is currently looking to license this design to other organizations, ahead of a formal release. No release window or pricing has been announced at this point in time

http://notebookitalia.it/vastking-g800-gaming-tablet-windows-10-apollo-lake-controller-25937
Update: Removable controllers have raised some discussion in the gamer community, so you need clarification on how they work. The two "Joy-Con" models do not have a physical connection to the tablet but connect via WiFi 2.4GHz as well as many other wireless PC devices via an integrated receiver directly inside the tablet.

Big question is build quality since I can't find much on Vastking, how well the controllers work without connectivity issues and how well the device can manage heat without throttling and how much the price for one of these will end up being.
I'm also curious about how the controller connection works since they say it uses wifi instead of bluetooth.
Compared to the GPD Win's Z8750 cpu the N4200 has a lower clock (1.1ghz vs 1.6ghz) and slightly lower turboboost frequency (2.5ghz vs 2.56ghz) but it has a later generation Intel graphics with a higher turbo frequency (.75ghz vs .6ghz) and 18 execution units instead of 16.

I'm having issues using search on this site so if its already been posted please lock.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Pentium N4200 is better than the x7-8700 by a bit, but I'm still more enchanted by the possibility of the GPDWin2 having an m3/m5.

Plus, I've learned my lesson with virtually unknown Chinese OEMs in the past. Never heard of Vastking.

Oct 27, 2017
And people wonder why most systems aren't released in China and when they are they're super heavily modified and pared down

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Why doesn't China put forth effort to try and create something original instead of copying anything and everything? I'd call them lazy, but they sort of put in amazing effort on ripping things off quickly.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can't get much more blatant than that. Wonder how well it works and what the cost will be. Battery life will also be something to look at.

Mr G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
As long as they have no support for games, and if it's just a tablet it will be forgotten the moment it releases.

Should've read better it's a Windows device, what kind of games would you be able to play with these specs?

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame there isn't a solid handheld windows gaming solution.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If they sell the joy cons separately, I'll buy them. It'd be great for WASD movement without a keyboard. My mouse has a shit ton of buttons on it, so I could use a bootleg joycon natively with Windows for movement, crouch, and jump, and that would be perfect.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Pentium N4200 is better than the x7-8700 by a bit, but I'm still more enchanted by the possibility of the GPDWin2 having an m3/m5.

Plus, I've learned my lesson with virtually unknown Chinese OEMs in the past. Never heard of Vastking.

I'm super excited for the GPD Win2. Hopefully it's affordable. This device is by a company I've never heard of and will likely be just another Chinese tablet. I'll wait for the inevitable YouTube reviews.

OP
OP

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't China put forth effort to try and create something original instead of copying anything and everything? I'd call them lazy, but they sort of put in amazing effort on ripping things off quickly.
In the end there are tons of Chinese companies in China which has fairly lax copyright laws for oversea companies so for a dozen companies that are coming up with their own device you'll have another that is ripping something else off.
Not all Chinese companies are like this but its a lot easier for companies to imitate a succesful device than gamble on a unknown.

That said it would be hilarious to buy one of these and put it in a Switch box as a present for someone.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

As long as their legal system continues to not give a shit about international intellectual property rights they have no reason to stop doing it. Why waste money on R&D when you can just shamelessly ripoff foreign ideas without any consequences? It's not laziness, it's just business.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I love the Switch concept and am excited to see it applied elsewhere. For a while now, I've been saying that I wish Android phones and tables had removable controllers, or at least a controller option e.g. Xperia Play, and this device could really fit that, assuming Android can be installed on it (Android-x86?). And if not, it could be a great Windows indie machine.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

They do. They just aren't as successful, since other regions are so far ahead in terms of brand awareness and market penetration.

The difference is copyright laws. If the US suddenly adopted China's lack of respect for intellectual property, you better believe there'd be knockoff Switches out by Christmas.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Now I get those comments about not revealing NX early in order to avoid someone stealing the idea.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be almost impossible to reach the buttons using that joycon-like as a single controller.