• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
you've got to love the irony of the post shitting on China because they copied something that was made in.....China..

plus communist countries don't have copyright laws and everything belongs to the 'people'

to be honest i'm surprised it's taken this long to turn up.. I mean how long before we get our first iphone X clone?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically just a W10 tablet though.

What makes the Switch great is the software library. Also there doesn't seem to be a dock. (There's a mini-HDMI on the unit though.)

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
This is just sad at this point and theft of ideas.
I agree with the way the issue is addressed in this video:

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
Are they running KOF on Kawaks? Do people still use Kawaks to emulate arcade games?

EDIT: This thread makes me wonder what GPD has cooking.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
It's business. They're doing it to flip money. Maybe I'll get called out for this, but copying something successful is a good way to get attention on your product.

Most people will think they're "stealing intellectual property" but it happens more than people realise. How many McDonalds copy cats are there? If it's successful people will copy it. This isn't school, where copying is bad and you don't learn anything, in business, it can be useful.
Those are some really good points. The more I thought about it, I realize that very little is original or innovative when it comes to consumer electronics these days.

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
It's business. They're doing it to flip money. Maybe I'll get called out for this, but copying something successful is a good way to get attention on your product.

Most people will think they're "stealing intellectual property" but it happens more than people realise. How many McDonalds copy cats are there? If it's successful people will copy it. This isn't school, where copying is bad and you don't learn anything, in business, it can be useful.

I get your point, and it obviously usually pays off financially, but it being done by many others doesn't make it any better. My biggest issue with this behaviour is that they're just copying, often making a lower quality clone. That's not just taking inspiration then adding your own new technology which can be very beneficial to society as the Apple/Samsung phones rivalry has been(reciprocal), that's just offering the same product at best, in my opinion. In the long run this is a detrimental approach for the technical evolution.

OldLogos

Oct 27, 2017
What're the chances of being able to get one of these shipped to the states? Been in the market for a cheap-ish windows tablet.

HugoLiu

Oct 30, 2017
Not something that I will proud of as a Chinese, but I'm suprised that it only came out now considering how short the turnaround time is in Shenzhen.

OP
OP

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
What're the chances of being able to get one of these shipped to the states? Been in the market for a cheap-ish windows tablet.
Gotta wait for some company to make a bulk order and rebrand and sell them.
I'm not positive but I think someone contacted them and they do minimum orders of a 1000 units for $300 each so once its rebadged and sold to the public it'll be even more.
Woo group buy time!

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta wait for some company to make a bulk order and rebrand and sell them.
I'm not positive but I think someone contacted them and they do minimum orders of a 1000 units for $300 each so once its rebadged and sold to the public it'll be even more.
Woo group buy time!
Eh, a GPD Win seems like it would be a much better buy unless people really really want the exact Switch form factor.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Why doesn't China put forth effort to try and create something original instead of copying anything and everything? I'd call them lazy, but they sort of put in amazing effort on ripping things off quickly.

Because it's infinitely cheaper to copy a design that's tried and true and that others have spent the money on R&D instead. This only happens in China because their copyright laws are horrendous. I can guarantee you it'd happen anywhere else if they had similar laws.

maxresdefault.jpg

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised it took a year to copy after Switch was officially announced. I always thought such rip-offs would be out by April.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, was there any update on the patent lawsuit Nintendo faced over the the Joycons in california?

OP
OP

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, a GPD Win seems like it would be a much better buy unless people really really want the exact Switch form factor.
Well yeah but we could organize a group buy and have our own resetera console and then on the back we'll write "This does what Nintendo't".
Can't do that with the Win.
It'll be great and then we'll set all sorts of world speed records for Nintendo's lawyers.

Griz

Oct 31, 2017
Lancaster PA
Wow the youtube comments "look at wikipad, nintendo copied them", "this could threaten the Switch, PC has more games than any console ever made"

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just sad at this point and theft of ideas.
I agree with the way the issue is addressed in this video:

"Picasso had a saying -- 'good artists copy; great artists steal' -- and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." - steve jobs. but i get it, my opinion is that idea theft is ok, as long as you make it better and innovate further. i think china just misses the second point.

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
"Picasso had a saying -- 'good artists copy; great artists steal' -- and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." - steve jobs. but i get it, my opinion is that idea theft is ok, as long as you make it better and innovate further. i think china just misses the second point.

Agreed, that's how we thrive as a community.

I get your point, and it obviously usually pays off financially, but it being done by many others doesn't make it any better. My biggest issue with this behaviour is that they're just copying, often making a lower quality clone. That's not just taking inspiration then adding your own new technology which can be very beneficial to society as the Apple/Samsung phones rivalry has been(reciprocal), that's just offering the same product at best, in my opinion. In the long run this is a detrimental approach for the technical evolution.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I always wonder how much more difficult it would be if these companies didn't go to China for manufacturing and produced their stuff in a country that had better laws that protect against this kind of stuff. Also, do they get these clones the way they are because employees steal the "blueprints" and go and make their own? Or do they reverse engineer / wing it?

DoubleG

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Before seeing the pics I was like "yeah, there were controller add-ons for tablets before the switch...probably it's one of those", but damn. This is a blatant ripp-off.
Reminds me of these:

wiwi.jpg

digitron_wii_rip_off_by_sega32x.jpg

fake-wii-1.jpg

lol

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder how much more difficult it would be if these companies didn't go to China for manufacturing and produced their stuff in a country that had better laws that protect against this kind of stuff. Also, do they get these clones the way they are because employees steal the "blueprints" and go and make their own? Or do they reverse engineer / wing it?
its pretty obvious that companies see a financial benefit to manufacturing a product in china. the upside is better than the downside so far. i'm sure once the copycats eat into profits they'll care. or if the products are introduced into their domestic markets, which i doubt since they can sue on their home turf then. i think as long as the copycats are contained in china or are so far down market, manufactures won't care, heck it would probably cost more to sue a low end copy than to just let the copy die on its own. also, they probably reverse engineer or get leaked certain parts and processes.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well I hope children get to enjoy it since a Switch might be outrageously expensive over there.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017

China's expertise is in manufacturing, in fact hardly much of the developed world can compete. If you want to talk about innovation, China's is in production and assembly lines, materials, logistics, reduction of cost, monetary policies. That's why the products we get are still as cheap as they are now versus 20 years ago.

What we give up though is that all the money goes to China.

As for the 'idea' theft, well I'm sure they care when they are sitting in their Mercedes or Ferrari and flying first class.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017

It's not really a problem unless another company make the exact thing and that's why these things are usually pitched at a lower price point.

They can definitely reverse engineer it. Sometimes though in the case of things like iPhone cases where they have to be exact, they probably 'pay' somebody at the factory to leak it.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Why doesn't China put forth effort to try and create something original instead of copying anything and everything? I'd call them lazy, but they sort of put in amazing effort on ripping things off quickly.

They do. A few years back, Huawei had more patents than Ericsson, a company founded in 1876. So China is not just about copying others, even though stuff like this gets a lot of attention, obviously.