• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
In the three videos I saw in the OP, staff other than the manager is interacting with them like they know whats up. I don't know. Obviously it's hard to know for sure just based on whats here, but I don't think this is a clear cut case of the manager being racist, and I don't think that she should have been let go personally.
Yeah I agree pretty much, I think she was in a tough spot if she knew those people but also should have known as a manager what the protocol was from corporate what to do in that situation so I can't really fault them for firing her either if she didn't follow it.
Not at all. What I'm saying, and what she should have done, is refused them service and explained why. Full stop. Nothing else added.
The "pay first" freestyle is where she messed up. Honestly, that was odd even at the point of this ride where everyone thought the boys were telling the truth.
If they are known thieves I don't get why they would have even entertained making them food

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that's the way it went, talk about iron fist...

Unless this manager has a track record of screwing up, it's wrong to fire her because she slipped up one time in a rare instance.

Sh, "slipped up" in a way that could have caused the company a horrible PR issue and perhaps lost revenue. Every company in the world is going to fire you in that instance.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
What sucks about this is that moments like this happen to people who aren't lying at all, and this is gonna do nothing but hurt the ones who legitimately have it happen to them.

These guys are assholes, but the restaurant did handle that the complete wrong way. Retail employees are always told to avoid doing this kind of thing because it will almost always end badly.

Oct 25, 2017
I read through a few pages not all of them. Again, you're all about the jobs. Though you did post initially about asking what the lady's end game was, but you never particularly seem to care about the obvious racism on display.

Like I said, you seem to care more about somebody losing their job than racism occurring. And I don't think I'm taking a leap in logic here considering you already said you wait until all the facts because outrage can cost somebody a job.

Now me personally, I'm fine with assuming that racism has occurred until proven otherwise. In this case I was proven otherwise. It does suck for that lady though.

She losing her job was indeed the great bad that happened in this case.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well, you are indeed busy

You are the one in this thread making false accusations, and when asked to show proof you magically ignore the posters asking.

So either you have an agenda, or you just trying to see if you can dig yourself out of the hole by reaching the other side.

Either way you haven't contributed anything to this thread other than your bias, and frankly insulting viewpoints.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yes it was. But the initial discussion was taking issue about people assuming racism occurred and those that don't because they care about the other person's job more.

Look, maybe I'm wrong about you, I certainly could be. If that's the case, I'll just say that I look forward to not reading about job concern in the next thread like this.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
well, you are indeed busy

Gonna cut yourself with all that edge.

You are the one in this thread making false accusations, and when asked to show proof you magically ignore the posters asking.

So either you have an agenda, or you just trying to see if you can dig yourself out of the hole by reaching the other side.

Either way you haven't contributed anything to this thread other than your bias, and frankly insulting viewpoints.

Spot on. We're just going to get "no, you" responses now though.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
So lemme get this straight

• White Woman Worker hates seeing this group of Black People Thieves come in
  • Decides to try to make them pay this time because she's tired of them stealing stuff and wants the restaurant to get money
  • Black group gets mad they ain't gettin' to filch nothin so they roast her on twitter
  • Turns out twitter has receipts of them actually dine and dashin
  • People find out and be like lmaooooo
  • Lady still gets lambasted by Chipotle for jokingly trying to make them pay up front to get them to realize that "I know u steal stuff pay me"
I mean there ain't no right party in here anywhere fam

Woman should have just tried to get them to pay after making food and worked with management to keep them watched, it ain't about race it's about my damn tabasco sauce disappearing every Friday

Black group ain't broke but don't want to pay for chipotle? damn. pay up or go home

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
What does it say for customers who have repeatedly not paid in the past? Keep allowing them to do it?

You refuse to serve them and state why. You don't make up a rule about having to pay first if that isn't company policy. This situation is the exact reason those policies are usually in place. I'd still like to see her re-hired.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Oh yeah right of refusal is totally a thing a company's workers can do btw if you suspect the people you're helping are thieves, liars, or drunks

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Is it though?

Because if I'm the district manager and I'm watching this footage...even outside of the potential racism I'm seeing a store completely amuck. I see staff laughing at and/or directly engaging the problem customers, and I see a manager completely freestyling policy and then shying away once she's lost control. These boys are liars, that's established. But people steal from busy fast food restaurants all the time! Chaotic shit happens all the time, and as a manager you have to be ready to assume control of the situation and, you know, manage it. So if I'm her boss looking at this, the thing I'm ultimately thinking is, "Ok, so, the next time some rowdy customers come in and try to pull a fast one, and there will be a next time, is this what you're going to do?"

Oct 25, 2017
I mean. It was cheeky. I'm not putting that on her and I've already dialed back like a lot of others have. But how do you expect a bunch of minorities ITT to react when the first couple pages are full of hypotheticals.
Exactly.

Eh, given the reaction the past few pages I should say I'm not surprised. But I doubt I'll interact in threads like these in the future given how absolutely shittier some of the posts are.
I shouldn't justify why I reacted the way I did with regards to this video, but hey, that's where we're at.
Thought some would know better, fuck 'em.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Is it though?

Because if I'm the district manager and I'm watching this footage...even outside of the potential racism I'm seeing a store completely amuck. I see staff laughing at and/or directly engaging the problem customers, and I see a manager completely freestyling policy and then shying away once she's lost control. These boys are liars, that's established. But people steal from busy fast food restaurants all the time! Chaotic shit happens all the time, and as a manager you have to be ready to assume control of the situation and, you know, manage it. So if I'm her boss looking at this, the thing I'm ultimately thinking is, "Ok, so, the next time some rowdy customers come in and try to pull a fast one, and there will be a next time, is this what you're going to do?"

It is the great bad for her because now she's out of a job and her identity is plastered across social media. It's bad for Chipotle, but not a "great bad" because compared to food borne illness outbreak...stock price is fine. Bad for the kids because they're just kids and kids will make unwise decisions like this and now it'll follow them.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

Eh, given the reaction the past few pages I should say I'm not surprised. But I doubt I'll interact in threads like these in the future given how absolutely shittier some of the posts are.
I shouldn't justify why I reacted the way I did with regards to this video, but hey, that's where we're at.
Thought some would know better, fuck 'em.

The fact that "fake outrage" was actually mentioned here...like this shit doesn't happen all too often. Tell me to open my eyes all you want, but being a POC I can only see it from one point of view.

This piece of shit just so happened to be that, piece of shit. Still don't regret my initial take tho.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Is it though?

Yup. I've never worked Food Service but I've worked a lot of retail and it was extremely odd to me that the woman who appears to be the manager or at the very least the shift lead/supervisor completely avoids the customers and lets her employees engage them instead. I've never ever seen someone in a supervisory position relinquish control of a situation to employees after they've engaged. That's the exact opposite of how it's supposed to happen.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean. It was cheeky. I'm not putting that on her and I've already dialed back like a lot of others have. But how do you expect a bunch of minorities ITT to react when the first couple pages are full of hypotheticals.
What hypotheticals are you referring to? Ones based on observation of the initial video where the lady accused the guys of not paying, and their initial reaction isn't even to deny what she's saying is true?

It seemed like a dead giveaway to me.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I wouldn't say she was acting wild.

I think most of us have been in a situation where things can go wrong quickly. And telling them to pay first would've been reasonable...if there wasn't a camera in her face with them jeering and obviously antagonizing.
So we agree?

I don't know. I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to be tactful in a situation like that, regardless of who was antagonizing me. It sucks she got fired. Hopefully they offer her job back with some additional training on how to better handle situations like this.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They wouldn't even service them until they paid. What is this? Oh, they dine and dashed before? That is theft.

How they get their food before when they didn't pay?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What hypotheticals are you referring to? Ones based on observation of the initial video where the lady accused the guys of not paying, and their initial reaction isn't even to deny what she's saying is true?

It seemed like a dead giveaway to me.

Why are you so hung up on their initial reactions?

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
This topic is the perfect microcosm of why black people have to be perfect at all times.

It just takes one negative act by a black person to bring out the "See we told you there is no racism" reactions from people.

Like clockwork

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
Wow, those guys were pieces of shit for trying to paint it as though the workers were being racist. I'm glad it backfired on them, but it sucks that the manager lost her job when she was just trying to do the right thing. The fact that there were trying to paint this as a race issue is insane.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This topic is the perfect microcosm of why black people have to be perfect at all times.

It just takes one negative act by a black person to bring out the "See we told you there is no racism" reactions from people.

Like clockwork

Exactly it's fucking disgusting. But it allows me to always add more people to my ignore list.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like clockwork

Are people actually saying that though? I mean it seemed like a cut and dry case of racism to me before the other stuff came out.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Wow, those guys were pieces of shit for trying to paint it as though the workers were being racist. I'm glad it backfired on them, but it sucks that the manager lost her job when she was just trying to do the right thing. The fact that there were trying to paint this as a race issue is insane.
If the manager had done the right thing here she'd still have a job.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I forgot to add that this will also be brought up whenever something similar happens or any situation that involves racism.

"Hey remember those guys at chipotle, maybe we shouldn't jump to conclusions and wait for the facts guys!"

"What if this is like that thing at chipotle, where those guys were lying?"

Because one bad act by one minority gives people carte blanche right to label all minorities or doubt their stories just the same.

No one ever tries to discredit a white person's story by referring to a past incident involving a member of his race though. Funny that.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people actually saying that though? I mean it seemed like a cut and dry case of racism to me before the other stuff came out.
Same, my initial impression was racism when I clicked on the thread initially, didn't have anything to really add to the discussion since it seemed like a plain, banal, "all black people look the same" case of racism. Then I saw the title update, looked at the tweets, and thought to myself "oh god the right wing is going to be using this for eons."

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
So some dine-and-dash grifters tried to set up a scam based on the "X while black" trope, but it backfired.

Be careful, kids. We may laugh at the credulity of the Christian right and the Qanons, but to a grifter everybody is a mark.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Because it was a dead giveaway of someone who is being deceptive.

Repeating back her line "you never have any money", and not even attempting to deny it was true is very telling.

Not by itself it isn't.

It could easily be an incredulous reaction. You've never seen someone so baffled they repeat what they just heared?

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Just kids being kids. They don't look like they're 10 anymore, hope it follows them a good long while and they learn something but I doubt it.

I knew people who did immature, potentially damaging stuff like this late into their teens, even very early twenties. But they changed, "grew up" so to speak. So I can't help but sympathize with them. My empathy lies with the fast food worker who barely makes enough to get by and puts up with people who are even MORE disagreeable than those you find in retail, and you break your body physically doing that job. She was being harassed, make no fucking mistake about that, and she broke corporate policy and is now out of a job. That sucks.

Basically, this is a complete shit show.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to add that this will also be brought up whenever something similar happens or any situation that involves racism.

"Hey remember those guys at chipotle, maybe we shouldn't jump to conclusions and wait for the facts guys!"

"What if this is like that thing at chipotle, where those guys were lying?"

Because one bad act by one minority gives people carte blanche right to label all minorities or doubt their stories just the same.

No one ever tries to discredit a white person's story by referring to a past incident involving a member of his race though. Funny that.
Yeah it sucks.

The bolded just isn't true, though. White women's stories of sexual assault and rape get doubted because of stories of the extremely rare cases of women who made it up. If a white man is accused of being racist or a sexual predator, but denies it, most people will assume he is racist or a predator because there are a lot of stories about racist and sexually predatory white guys.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the manager had done the right thing here she'd still have a job.
One consistent theme in LP training from my time working at a few major chains was that you've gotta be subtle. They handled this all wrong, but I wonder if they even have a documented procedure to deal with a situation like this - who dines and dashes at Chipotle?

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Absolutely. I hope the manager gets her job back.

Deleted member 19739

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't buy the story from the very beginning, especially since the girl employee seemed very poised and adamant that the customers had a history of not pay. I didn't want to say anything though as that can be misconstrued as victim blaming here

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
One consistent theme in LP training from my time working at a few major chains was that you've gotta be subtle. They handled this all wrong, but I wonder if they even have a documented procedure to deal with a situation like this - who dines and dashes at Chipotle?

Yeah, that's still the oddest thing about this to me. I mean, at every Chipotle I've been to, you don't even get your hands on your food until you've paid.

There's just no read of this situation that doesn't involve the manager fucking up. Which is probably why, ultimately, she lost her job while her staff only has to sit through retraining.