• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
That's why you don't jump to conclusions. And you had a several people in this thread labeling people racists too over this. Let that be a lesson.
You'd be owning everyone had you not jumped to your own conclusions before seeing the tweets and then saying "lol there you go" like you won.

Are you even reading these tweets being posted? The guy now is shown to have a history of it based off his own tweets.

Yes, but you didn't know that.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Even after reading those tweets I still think the staff acted poorly here. Should've just served them as normal, if they tried to run off with the food then call the cops.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
I think this thread should be a good lesson on patience and not making assumptions. Given these individuals obvious history I do not blame her for the actions she took. As a business owner myself there is a huge yearly loss from theft. It gets very bad. You have to try your best to offset those costs. There are select individuals we have identified through camera footage and banned. Perhaps she should have outright refused service stating they have footage but I feel the end result would have been the same if not worse given the initial reactions in this thread. I understand however that it's impractical to take the wait and see approach in todays environment

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
They do. But she shouldn't have been a manager if she couldn't completely lose her shit over something that's relatively minor.
tbf, they were gaslighting pretty hard, not to mention threatening by recording. On top of that, this is after they supposedly got a free meal a week prior. I'd be pissed too.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong for anticipating a response to this dudes history over years of diner dashing? I keep refreshing his twitter. Last active an hour ago.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They do. But she shouldn't have been a manager if she couldn't completely lose her shit over something that's relatively minor.

Did she completely lose her shit though? Maybe she was just fed up with this happening in her store?

I knew this was suspect just from watching the first moments of the original video. It definitely sounds like these individuals have a history of not paying.
It looked like racism, the kind we see daily, which is why they put it online and why she was fired.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if chipotle has an actual policy in place for how to handle people that purposefully "forget their wallet" constantly

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Uh, those tweets look like stupid shit that teenagers say and do. Some of those tweets are from 4-5 years ago when the guy was 15/16.

This just smacks of when a black kid gets shot and someone digs through their social media to find "thug" photos.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's why you don't jump to conclusions. And you had a several people in this thread labeling people racists too over this. Let that be a lesson.

No, you were doing the usual concern/questioning thing and this was one of the very, very few times you happened to luck out.

That's all.

It looked exactly like all the other racist incidents we see every fucking day.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
wait so this guy actually figured out how to dine and dash at Chipotle wtf

or is he a klepto and keeps taking their sauces like a jackass

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
When I was a locksmith I had people look at me work and make their key only to have them say they didn't have any money. Strangely enough it happened when older people though, old white woman that I drove 30 miles to get to and this older black dude. So I kind of understand, but it's not really acceptable in this situation.
I had to take public transportation in nyc before too and I saw some kid get on the bus without paying. Pretty much ignored the driver and hoped he would think it wasn't worth the hassle lol.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing wrong with initially having the back of a black person who claims discrimination but is later proven to be a liar.

There is everything wrong with relegating the fact that black people continue to get discriminated against in the service industry as "outrage for outrage's sake," as if black people are largely lying about our experiences.

That SHOULD be the lesson people take away from this.

But we'll be doing this song-and-dance next week.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing wrong with initially having the back of a black person who claims discrimination but is later proven to be suspect on false pretenses.

There is everything wrong with relegating the fact that black people continue to get discriminated against in service is "outrage for outrage's sake," as if we are largely lying about our experiences.

100%.

OP
OP
Mr. X

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Manager deserved it. The way she talked down to them. Also those tweets mean nothing. You people are desperate to prove Chipotle was just. Imagine defending a Corporation over a people who just wanted food.
I'm not defending Chipotle or the manager. I use to be in the position, you just take the L in these situations even if they're repeat offenders.

Shit is a bad look that he's deleting old tweets and if he did this at other places, matter of time before those places speak up.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
You would prefer they call the cops on a group of black men? I don't think you thought this through.

Call the cops once they've committed a crime (running off with food they haven't paid for) instead of taking it upon yourself to change a company policy around before they've done anything? Yes, that probably would have been a better idea.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, how do you dine and dash a Chipotle? They don't hand over food at all until you pay. It's not a sit down restaurant.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, how do you dine and dash a Chipotle? They don't hand over food at all until you pay. It's not a sit down restaurant.

They sort of just leave the food there at the counter near the register. You can grab it and run pretty easily I imagine. Though that's more just outright theft than "dine and dash" I guess.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this was suspect just from watching the first moments of the original video. It definitely sounds like these individuals have a history of not paying.
Yup. I felt the same way but didn't initially say it because I knew I would have been labeled a racist. smh

The truth is they reacted to the manager in a way that was telling. When someone is wrongly accused of taking food without paying they're going to react with some surprise, but these guys didn't do that. Instead they just seemed irritated by it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

This part is still a mystery.

Like Subway which I've been too in the UK quite a lot over the years, you'd have to grab it from them at the till and run out the door.

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing wrong with initially having the back of a black person who claims discrimination but is later proven to be a liar.

There is everything wrong with relegating the fact that black people continue to get discriminated against in the service industry as "outrage for outrage's sake," as if black people are largely lying about our experiences.

Best post.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I felt the same way but didn't initially say it because I would have been told I was saying it because they were black. smh

The truth is they reacted to the manager in a way that was telling. When someone is wrongly accused of taking food without paying they're going to react with some surprise, but these guys didn't do that. Instead they just seemed irritated by it.

Then you haven't been paying attention well, because this looked exactly like the countless incidents we've seen of black people being "irritated" by racism.

Epilogue

Alt account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
So he recorded a "racist" encounter and had a twitter history of dining and dashing?

I guess stupidity knows no bounds.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Then you haven't been paying attention well, because this looked exactly like the countless incidents we've seen of black people being "irritated" by racism.
I wonder how they felt about the Uber driver who was berated by that self-admitted gay Trump supporter.

He didn't say anything. Must be more to the story then.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes I read the tweets but you had a stance long before that was posted, stop pretending you didn't.
You'd be owning everyone had you not jumped to your own conclusions before seeing the tweets and then saying "lol there you go" like you won.

Yes, but you didn't know that.
No, my stance from the very first post there's not enough information to available to to discredit the manager. Even corporate's statement led me to believe she was correct. You guys wanted to jump the gun and assume she was a racist and had no problem having her being fired and her face blasted all over social media labeled as a racist. We now know she wasn't being racist in this incident. My stance was to be neutral. Once I read the tweet that showed he dined and dashed, yeah, I changed it to believing the manager, like any reasonable person would. and even more tweets showed he's done it at Chipotle specifically. Now you guys should wipe that egg off your face and let it be a lesson learned. Know the full story before assuming.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Wow what shitty fucking assholes. Lots of real racism out there and these kids were stealing shit, got them fired, and tried to play the race card on the video. Fuck these assholes! They did handle it wrong though. You take their picture print it out and hand it on the wall. Then spread the message to other restaurants in the area.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I guess when they set it next to the computer to ring it up you snag it and run out.

This part is still a mystery.

Like Subway which I've been too in the UK quite a lot over the years, you'd have to grab it from them at the till and run out the door.
She didn't accuse them of grabbing food and running. They likely get to the register, with the prepared food sitting there, and then say they don't have their wallet, or they have a credit card they know will get denied. They then ask for a break, or promise to come back the next day to pay. A lot of places are not going to be assholes and throw out the food at that point, so they just let you take it.

They made no immediate denial of her claim though, and to me that's very telling.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
No, my stance from the very first post there's not enough information to available to to discredit the manager. Even corporate's statement led me to believe she was correct. You guys wanted to jump the gun and assume she was a racist and had no problem having her being fired and her face blasted all over social media labeled as a racist. We now know she wasn't being racist in this incident. My stance was to be neutral. Once I read the tweet that showed he dined and dashed, yeah, I changed it to believing the manager, like any reasonable person would. and even more tweets showed he's done it at Chipotle specifically. Now you guys should wipe that egg off your face and let it be a lesson learned. Know the full story before assuming.
Quote the post where I wrote anything about her or the story? I quoted your nonsense and only your nonsense. You were the creating hypotheticals to support your bias.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Even after reading those tweets I still think the staff acted poorly here. Should've just served them as normal, if they tried to run off with the food then call the cops.
Lol and? That doesn't prevent a damn thing.

Edit: I'm the GM of a restaurant. You confront thieves that's how it stops. Calling the cops straight up does not work.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
tbf, they were gaslighting pretty hard, not to mention threatening by recording. On top of that, this is after they supposedly got a free meal a week prior. I'd be pissed too.

Oh I'd definitely be pissed but you'd think a manager would be more calm *especially* when there's a camera pointed at her face.

Did she completely lose her shit though? Maybe she was just fed up with this happening in her store?

It looked like racism, the kind we see daily, which is why they put it online and why she was fired.

Honestly if she'd just told them she has them on camera stealing and was going to call the cops (I assume she should've had them on camera) she didn't really need to say anything else other than calling the police.

True.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
At this point in U.S. history how is "this looks racist" *not* the logical base stance for any of these instances? Sure, things can change, but it's like saying my cat didn't eat a bird when it shows up with a feather in its mouth. I mean sure it *could have* just picked up a feather, but it's history of devouring birds makes me skeptical.

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
They should have served them as normal.. They steal then you ban them from the store and call the cops.

I'm sorry I'm not going to treat a customer like crap on the belief he might steal a burrito the costs the store maybe 2$.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
You can grab the food and run, it's not like it's way out of reach... or the guy might have some sob story he tries to get food after he tells them he doesn't have money. He knows once the food is made it's going in the trash if they don't buy it... so hopes some pity get's them free food. Use an old card or whatever that you know will get declined... only have like a dollar on you.. and be all "man, fuck.. this is all I got.. will this work?"

Either way, manager didn't handle it right.. should have made the food and kept it in hand until they paid if they did this before.. or just deny service outright if it was truly them.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
So many twist threads recently.

These guys should be dragged from here to eternity. That's a lot of harm to do to a huge group of people just to try to justify some stolen chipotle. Dumbass.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the amount of times the cops are called on black people living their lives, including trying to get into where they literally live without being harassed or shot, I feel perfectly fine "wiping the egg off my face." Much like you were fine counting your chickens before they hatched.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

I've worked enough retail and customer service to get a good idea when people are trying to game or hustle the system. I'm also a minority, so it's easy to detect racist bullshit too.

I guess it depends on your experience and perspective.