• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Prepare to return to the ultimate medieval battlefield - and experience the thrilling continuation of the narrative of the original Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

Closed Alpha:

The Chivalry 2 Closed Alpha starts March 2020. Sign up through the mailing list at
http://chivalry2.com/alpha

Can't wait for Alpha? Play Chivalry 2 early at PAX East 2020 in Boston, USA - February 27 to March 1. Find our 36-player setup at the Tripwire Interactive booth #18011 at the Boston Convention Center.

For more information on Chivalry 2 as it becomes available, please visit
http://www.chivalry2.com

Source: Chivalry 2 Steam announcement

Pretty disgusting and scummy if you ask me. I hope the Steam community tells them to fuck off honestly.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
lol fuck that. Super scummy to take an exclusive deal and just use the other platform for testing

EDIT: Seems like it was just for advertising, which I still don't like but it is less worse than using the platform for testing.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
How do I access and play the Alpha?

The Chivalry 2 Alpha is available on the Epic Games Store. You must have an Epic Games account. Once given your Alpha key (see above) you'll be able to redeem the key by opening the Epic Games Launcher, clicking on your username in the bottom left corner, and choosing 'Redeem Code'. From there the Alpha will begin to download into your Library.

chivalry2.com

Chivalry 2 Closed Alpha FAQ - Chivalry 2

Sign up at https://chivalry2.com/alpha Join the Discord: http://discord.gg/chivalry2 What is the Chivalry 2 Closed Alpha? The Closed Alpha for Chivalry […]

Advertising it on Steam is still pretty shitty, but it looks like it's being run on EGS.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Isnt this game being made by a different team from the original. maybe im misremembering but they had a beef with the Morhau devs or something.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
I see nothing about this closed alpha being on steam. It's just a news post on steam telling people about their upcoming closed alpha.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The closed alpha test is not being conducted *on* Steam, it is being conducted on the Epic Games Store: https://chivalry2.com/2020/02/20/chivalry-2-closed-alpha-faq/

Chivalry II FAQ said:
How do I access and play the Alpha?

The Chivalry 2 Alpha is available on the Epic Games Store. You must have an Epic Games account. Once given your Alpha key (see above) you'll be able to redeem the key by opening the Epic Games Launcher, clicking on your username in the bottom left corner, and choosing 'Redeem Code'. From there the Alpha will begin to download into your Library.

What you linked is just a news post about the sequel on the news page for the first game, which is available on Steam. Since the first game is on Steam, the developers probably figured owners of the first game would want to know any information regarding the sequel.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I respect the struggle, nothing to get upset about lmao

also, where does it say that it's a Steam only thing
I reported it to change the title but nothing to be upset? I mean if you're gonna do anti-consumer shit and are promoting to the same people you are doing it to then... thats still scummy. No need to give them any space to advertise a closed beta on EGS on a platform that epic is throwing away money to delay releases on.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Still pretty shady to do this. Imagine advertising an Xbox timed exclusive on the PlayStation store.

Don't @ me about any false equivalence bullshit. I don't give a fuck.

Further clarification from a Tripwire(publisher) representative regarding this topic.

Yoshiro

Nov 14, 2017
Just wanted to chime in on this thread as I work at Tripwire (the publisher for Chiv 2). We've asked our partners at Valve about this very topic and their stance (along with ours) was that players of the game that plan to get it on Steam will want to be informed about it as well.

In terms of what is happening, the alpha and beta will be run on the Epic Game Store.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought one of the prominent positives to go with Epic was that it would increase the visibility of games? At least that was what people were telling me, because being an open Market and allowing everybody to freely publish games was suddenly "bad", "unfair" and good games had no chance. Also communities and build in forums are unnecessary and it is better to rely on external solutions.

Seems like the devs think otherwise and steam + the community hub is pretty important to promote your games.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Just wanted to chime in on this thread as I work at Tripwire (the publisher for Chiv 2). We've asked our partners at Valve about this very topic and their stance (along with ours) was that players of the game that plan to get it on Steam will want to be informed about it as well.

In terms of what is happening, the alpha and beta will be run on the Epic Game Store.
Well Valve don't lose anything from this i suppose but the customers on steam do have to wait a year for a game they really wanna play. Iam pretty disappointed at Valve for allowing this honestly. They just aren't strict enough with this exclusive BS.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

Thank you for the clarification.

Hopefully the thread title is corrected to avoid unnecesary hostility.

Yoshiro

Nov 14, 2017
I thought one of the prominent positives to go with Epic was that it would increase the visibility of games?

I think people were misconstruing other comments to you based on what I've seen from us and other developers. EGS as a platform does provide visibility bonuses in a store front where you are not competing with the hundreds of new games that release on Steam these days every month. That is the comment I know that has been made.

However in terms of engaging with fans/potential fans, most developers I am aware of will reach out to all places on the internet to at least read what is being talked about and provide the news if not directly engage in those locations. If there is one thing I have personally seen is that many internet communities have become very tribal and players/fans tend on engage in "their prefered location" over coming to official channels to discuss a game these days, and I am not implying there is anything wrong with that, it just is what it is.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I'm of the opinion that Valve should let idiots like these alone and continue advertising on their platform. (It will eventually come to their own platform for their benefit in the future)

If they did crack down, Timmy and a bunch of dumbass journalists will have weeks worth of hot takes and hit pieces about how oh so "abusive monopoly" Valve is.

So yeah, just leave them alone.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I thought one of the prominent positives to go with Epic was that it would increase the visibility of games? At least that was what people were telling me, because being an open Market and allowing everybody to freely publish games was suddenly "bad", "unfair" and good games had no chance. Also communities and build in forums are unnecessary and it is better to rely on external solutions.

Seems like the devs think otherwise and steam + the community hub is pretty important to promote your games.

This is literally just an info dump for a beta for an unreleased game and you are going on about visibility for smaller games on a bloated marketplace?

Steam has a visibility problem for smaller games and this is completely unrelated. That's a different topic about how many games are getting released nowadays and the viability of the indie market in all of games and not just any specific storefront.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I'm of the opinion that Valve should let idiots like these alone and continue advertising on their platform. (It will eventually come to their own platform for their benefit in the future)

If they did crack down, Timmy and a bunch of dumbass journalists will have weeks worth of hot takes and hit pieces about how oh so "abusive monopoly" Valve is.

So yeah, just leave them alone.

What valve does on its own platform is well in their right unless they're bullying devs or asking them of doing something unfair.

In end these sort of things only encourage more promotion of EGS exclusive games on steam while the customers on the same platform to face the consequences and wait a year to play their favourite games. If this move angers some journalists and most of all a hypocrite like Tim Sweeny then nothing of value is lost honestly.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is literally just an info dump for a beta for an unreleased game and you are going on about visibility for smaller games on a bloated marketplace?

You call it information, and I call it promotion.
You call it bloated, I call it free to everybody.

We have very different perceptions here.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Valve shoud really come off with a way to stop shit like this.

Not the first time and it won't be the last.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Valve shoud really come off with a way to stop shit like this.

Not the first time and it won't be the last.
Valve isn't going to stop this because overall they dont care and the PR of taking it down would be worse, cause Epic and Games Media would find a way to blow it up to an Anti-Valve storm.

Like how Games media somehow blew up a Steamworks TOS change from 2017 as them cracking down on EGS exclusivity, the EGS didnt exist in 2017.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares? Like why is this even an issue? It's blurb to their followers to tell them how to access. Valve doesn't care, so why do you?

But yeah we should definitely break out the pitchforks and harass the developer or something.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I don't think it's scummy; the game will be on Steam eventually and Valve allows and encourages developers to take advantage of their features. This is only going to play well for Steam in the long run, nobody is really being hurt or taken advantage of.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The other day I saw a game talking about their Nintendo Switch version in their announcements, I fainted on the spot.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
f there is one thing I have personally seen is that many internet communities have become very tribal and players/fans tend on engage in "their prefered location" over coming to official channels to discuss a game these days, and I am not implying there is anything wrong with that, it just is what it is.

I don't disagree, I just learned that having an official channel that is build into the store allows me to stay informed about certain games in an easy and convinient manner. Games are often ongoing projects today, staying up to date everywhere is sometimes not easy.
For example: I didn't play Total Warhammer 2 for a month and reinstalled it today. I was greeted buy an information about the latest beta patch and some other news. That kind of stuff is very convenient to me.
The Steam community hub is also pretty helpful when it comes to troubleshoot games, it helped me out dozen of times.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well Valve don't lose anything from this i suppose but the customers on steam do have to wait a year for a game they really wanna play. Iam pretty disappointed at Valve for allowing this honestly. They just aren't strict enough with this exclusive BS.

No. They don't HAVE to wait a year. They can chose to buy it on the EGS. They may prefer not to but it's bollocks to suggest the game isn't available to them. This forced Balkanisation is a crock of shit.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've got clarification the Steam post was just an update, it's still running on EGS, not Steam. So that's the end of that

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Who cares? Like why is this even an issue? It's blurb to their followers to tell them how to access. Valve doesn't care, so why do you?

But yeah we should definitely break out the pitchforks and harass the developer or something.

Its helping them promote a game thats involved anti-consumer shit on the same platform thats being targeted by Epic and the people using this platform are being targeted as well. Ofcourse this is fucking scummy. If you don't care then w/e but don't come here and tell me that it doesn't matter for others.

I don't think it's scummy; the game will be on Steam eventually and Valve allows and encourages developers to take advantage of their features. This is only going to play well for Steam in the long run, nobody is really being hurt or taken advantage of.

That eventually is a YEAR. Not a month. Not 6 months but a YEAR. its a huge amount of wait time when it comes to games releasing and the amount of players stay involved with it post release. Its feels extremely shitty to wait for game this much that you intended to play at launch, in its essence, a year is a HYPE killer. Either you forget about buying that game and its existence for a considerable amount of time or buy it on a barebones platform which you really wanted to avoid buying on.

No. They don't HAVE to wait a year. They can chose to buy it on the EGS. They may prefer not to but it's bollocks to suggest the game isn't available to them. This forced Balkanisation is a crock of shit.

You mean to say they are forced to choose EGS, a platform that lacks basic features to be a digital platform on as compared to steam to play games on and as a store also?

IDK what your standards by which you consider EGS OK as compared to Uplay/Origin/GOG that have pretty much got the basic of basic features working and done in whereas EGS still has issues launcher wise and epic are required to fix it sometimes game-by-game basis.

The real question is considering how much difference of features is between steam and EGS, why do you think Steam customers would wanna buy on EGS when traditionally they've been playing on steam and played chivalry 1 on steam too. Its a PvP game mainly and it had built up a community there. Its not as simple as you think when it comes to choosing to play this sort of game on a half-baked platform especially when its an online game where the community matters and not it being a single player game.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Don't feel right for a company to utilize Steam's tools to market EGS exclusive alpha access on a platform which they've been paid to withhold their game from by Epic. It's like having your cake and eating it. But if Valve allows it, companies can go right ahead I guess.

As an EGS excluding person, I wouldn't care to know about anything to do with specifically just the EGS release/access, and I'd consider it irrelevant and off-topic for the Steam store page. But it's not that big of a deal. It's like, mildly offputting.

Last edited:

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
You call it information, and I call it promotion.
You call it bloated, I call it free to everybody.

We have very different perceptions here.

Different perceptions indeed, though I am one of those weirdos that thinks the EGS is just another desktop icon even though I vastly prefer Steam.

Visibility isn't a Steam specific problem, it's an everywhere problem. Steam is just most talked about since it has the most games from a legacy standpoint and has the most new games which exacerbates the problem. Valve is actually putting a lot of effort in trying to combat it because it's a very real problem that doesn't go away because EGS doesn't have forums. For some smaller games, going on EGS could be a boon. It's always easy to assume that the launch on Steam would go well, but the markets for each are very different mostly because EGS has the leeway of not having a lot of competition on the store itself do to being too new.

It will eventually plague EGS as well, but for right now it can be a great way to stand out from the crowd especially when they offer to front some of those development costs and your mortgage payment is due.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Developer use Twitch to promote their game despite it not being available for Twitch Games.

Developer use Skype or Discord to promote their game despite it not being available for the Microsoft Store, Discord Games app, or Game Pass.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a great look for the developers but I don't think that Valve cares that much about Epic anymore.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Developer use Twitch to promote their game despite it not being available for Twitch Games.

Developer use Skype or Discord to promote their game despite it not being available for the Microsoft Store, Discord Games app, or Game Pass.
Traditionally Skype, Discord weren't PC game launchers like STEAM. Discord and Skype are Communication and chat services.. I don't understand the point of comparing these to something like Steam which is a pure Digital content platform for games....and has been for the past decade.

And well you named twitch... TWITCH..its a game streaming platform dude like cmon..

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I actually think it's kinda cool Valve is allowing it. Shows that they aren't fazed by the exclusivity stuff and that they aren't trying to lock things down to their own store, which is what the "Steam is a monopoly" people might have thought.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a demo for FF7R on xbox but no game for a year. There'd be firefighters on this forum for the flames

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That sounds like a good way to draw the attention of the angry mob that will review-bomb anything that's related to EGS exclusives...

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Traditionally Skype, Discord weren't PC game launchers like STEAM. Discord and Skype are Communication and chat services.. I don't understand the point of comparing these to something like Steam which is a pure Digital content platform for games....and has been for the past decade.

And well you named twitch... TWITCH..its a game streaming platform dude like cmon..
Steam community forums are forums.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.