• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
Why did she stay in this relationship? Seems all of this was at the start, had I had been the male best friend, I would have told her to get out, that the guy didn't respect her. (not trying to blame her for any of this, I just genuinely find it disturbing that someone can start a relationship this way, with someone who obviously doesn't want to be in this kind of relationship... I'm sure there is a kink like this, since this is basically 50 shades)

Edit: going to read the article and see whats up with this, maybe she thought he was joking? how long were they together... I need answers.

Edit2: "These were just a few of them. And I made the choice to accept his controlling behavior, as he'd just left his long-term girlfriend and I assumed that he was going through some serious emotional discomfort. This was a huge mistake."

That does clear up her thinking a bit. I can understand that and herself being a vulnerable target; because of past issues she mentions.

I can't understand guys like him, but he is the type of person I avoid in my life, you can't see people this way, especially those closest to you. It's like he views his partner as some sort of pet.
Have you ever fallen in love before? Ever fell in love with a toxic person (before realizing they're a toxic person)? Love is a mother fucker man, there is a reason the phrase "love is blind" exists.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Why did she stay in this relationship?
This is victim blaming, don't do that. People like Hardwick are likely master manipulators, this is what they do. They gaslight you and make you sound crazy while everything they say is completely rational, that's what they make you believe. It's hard to see that until you analyze things after the fact.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Hey people who don't read the articles... Read this part before making an ass of yourself:

Here is my answer: I believed that, to borrow an analogy from a friend, if I kept digging I would find water. And sometimes I did. Just enough to sustain me. And when you're dying of thirst, that water is the best water you'll ever drink. When you're alienated from your friends, there's no one to tell you that there's a drinking fountain 20 feet away. And when your self-worth reaches such depths after years of being treated like you're worthless, you might find you think you deserve that sort of treatment, and no one else will love you.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What you quoted in the OP is the mildest shit, things that could be dismissed as just a "weird relationship" that she could have left. The reality is SO MUCH WORSE. Y'all need to read the whole post because shit is not good. I know it's cliche' to do the whole "I never trusted/like that guy," as indication that you somehow always knew. But, with Hardwick I really did always figure something was up with him. Now I know, dude is scum.
I agree. My point was to get people to read the link. I think too often people quote salacious bits but in taking it out of context it loses impact.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
The first time I told him I loved him after 6 months of hoping he'd say it first, his response was (and I quote), "I think I love you too, f****t."

What does the last word mean? It starts with an f and ends with a t. Gosh I must be slow today.

Also, I think OP should just post the whole article, or at least include more info.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
All of it sounds shitty, except the wine part. I'd think if you're dating a recovering addict, you'd just want to avoid whatever triggers them out of respect, no?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone responding to me, I want to understand her thinking because it didn't make sense to me. Bringing up the question isn't about victim blaming, it's about understanding how someone can fall into this trap, which is literally the most important thing that can be gained from these sorts of articles, don't blame me that it's not in the OP. People are posting within moments of a thread going up, and you think they read the article before posting?

They're posting one liner posts that don't amount to much.

You went in on a full analysis leaning toward blaming the victim asking questions when you could have just read the article and got your answers.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah can we still not do the "I always knew there was something up with that guy" narrative. For every case of "I KNEW THEY WERE BAD" there's a case of "oh my god not them, they're my hero". It doesn't really help or add anything, just leads to people wildly speculating.

Oh, I know. I hate when people say that. But, this just happens to be that one time where it's true for me. Hardwick always seemed so eager to mingle with celebrities I totally saw him as someone that would stab his best friend in the eye to shake Norman Reedus' hand.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Wow I just saw he is 49 years old

He looks young for that age. I would have never guessed that.

And this story is awful.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The bit about him being obsessed with celebrity and ingratiating himself with famous people reads as very true to me. He always struck me as a parasite that was obsessed with becoming celebrity adjacent because he didn't have the talent or luck to become one himself. He was always just this vaguely charming white guy who squeezed every last drop of the currency of being an agreeable white guy afforded him.

I realized this was all armchair analysis and ultimately dumb to think, but the fact that it was spot on is chilling. This was a monster hiding in plain sight.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Reads like two incredibly insecure people, with the power dynamics leading to one of those turning into a piece of shit.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I've followed both on Twitter for years now. In hindsight you can definitely notice some of the things she mentions here. I noticed the pretty dramatic weight loss she mentioned in photos she has posted of herself. Also how Hardwick just about instantly bounced back into another relationship (with another famous, wealthy person which now shouldn't surprise you after reading Chloe's story) and married her.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What people don't often get (like the banned user) is this is how domestic abusers operate. Every time you hear someone go "why didn't they leave them", it's because these people will often cage their victims in mentally and socially. And then people will go "he was nice to me!"

People don't get that just because an abuser is kind to you that they now are unable to be mean to others. Abusers are kind to people they don't believe to be targets or useful for being targeted, and often intentionally do so to build deniability into their social structure. This is part of the reason why domestic abusers get away with it. They are often useful to the community around them (job, money, influence). People will "turn in" the victim to their abuser to protect their own ass or just reinvent reality to say the victim is stupid/liar.

Everyone that's heard "why didn't you leave him?" has also heard "why are you being so dramatic" , "why are you starting shit all the time with him", etc, when they attempted to get help to escape it or confide in somoeone. Often from the same people. You get abandoned fast because abusers do such absurd things that you feel embarassed to to tell other people the absurd stuff they do to you, and often will blame the victim for causing the situation.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The bit about him being obsessed with celebrity and ingratiating himself with famous people reads as very true to me. He always struck me as a parasite that was obsessed with becoming celebrity adjacent because he didn't have the talent or luck to become one himself. He was always just this vaguely charming white guy who squeezed every last drop of the currency of being an agreeable white guy afforded him.

I realized this was all armchair analysis and ultimately dumb to think, but the fact that it was spot on is chilling. This was a monster hiding in plain sight.

Yeah, that what I was talking about earlier. It's weird to have your dumb armchair analysis actually turn out to be true.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh, I know. I hate when people say that. But, this just happens to be that one time where it's true for me. Hardwick always seemed so eager to mingle with celebrities I totally saw him as someone that would stab his best friend in the eye to shake Norman Reedus' hand.
Same. I usually hate that shit too, but I'm gonna be hypocrite here because he really wore his pathology on his sleeve.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus that story is awful. I'm glad Chloe got out before things ended much worse. And fuck Chris Hardwick.

Oct 25, 2017
What people don't often get (like the banned user) is this is how domestic abusers operate. Every time you hear someone go "why didn't they leave them", it's because these people will often cage their victims in mentally and socially. And then people will go "he was nice to me!"

People don't get that just because an abuser is kind to you that they now are unable to be mean to others. Abusers are kind to people they don't believe to be targets or useful for being targeted, and often intentionally do so to build deniability into their social structure. This is part of the reason why domestic abusers get away with it. They are often useful to the community around them (job, money, influence). People will "turn in" the victim to their abuser to protect their own ass or just reinvent reality to say the victim is stupid/liar.

Everyone that's heard "why didn't you leave him?" has also heard "why are you being so dramatic" , "why are you starting shit all the time with him", etc, when they attempted to get help to escape it or confide in somoeone. Often from the same people. You get abandoned fast because abusers do such absurd things that you feel embarassed to to tell other people the absurd stuff they do to you, and often will blame the victim for causing the situation.
There's also the whole "he could kill me" thing.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how he is gonna try and approach this. I am usually one of the people on Era that has a wait and see approach to situations like this and wanna hear both sides before I make any kind of judgement, but there is just too many very specific details and situations in her letter for me to doubt this.

Specifically the claim about hospital visit and what he said to the doctor and her being blacklisted. As well as her being forced to alienate herself from her friends.

All of those things are easily corroborated and can be proven quite easily so there is no point in lying about it. So it sounds like she went through absolute hell. It's tragic what low self esteem and a belief in the good of others can do to someone. It's something that were hear about far too often.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Welp, time to toss out my Midnight stuff from when I was the winner on tag team Thursday.

The way he acts and talks about his regimens on his old shows I can totally see this. Glad I dropped nerdiest et all a few years back.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I have a huge backlog of Nerdist podcasts to catch up on.. this makes it easier to just delete my subscription

ReconYoda

Lupe’s Angel
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never saw him as capable of this but he did always seem to have a very fake "nice guy" vibe to him. Sounds like he was a monster.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Domestic abuse is the issue we kick under the rug. What percentage of our fathers hit our mothers? We don't need to condemn our fathers and hate them and "out" them, but we need to be aware this still exists and some men will continue to do it because their fathers showed them it was ok.

Edit: I also like how when the Ray Rice video came out and it was the first popular non-dramatized video of domestic violence and the response is shock. What do you think domestic violence actually looks like?

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
He always gave off this vaguely toxic vibe, but it sounds like he's way more horrible that anyone could have thought. He needs to be barred from anything tv or convention related going forward, at a bare minimum. I hope he is ruined.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Chris Hardwick so this comes as a shock to me. Can anyone become famous and not being a garbage person? I'm surprised because he actually talks about the #metoo movement in his podcasts and calls out the abusers.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah can we still not do the "I always knew there was something up with that guy" narrative. For every case of "I KNEW THEY WERE BAD" there's a case of "oh my god not them, they're my hero". It doesn't really help or add anything, just leads to people wildly speculating.
Yeah. I get it. For people it's a form of vindication.

But, as you said, it adds nothing. This is about a victim. Our focus should be on them to help them. It's just as bad as the " oh no. Actor accused of crimes of a sexual nature. How will I watch my favorite show now?" crowd.

If your response starts with "I" and it isn't about sharing a similar personal experience, stop.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Chris Hardwick so this comes as a shock to me. Can anyone become famous and not being a garbage person? I'm surprised because he actually talks about the #metoo movement in his podcasts and calls out the abusers.
He probably didn't think what he was doing was abuse. It's easy to call out other people, not so much to look at yourself.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've hated this dude for years, although my original reason was due to him mocking crowd reactions at Evo while hosting a show on G4. He always came off as very disingenuous. It's not at all surprising to hear he is a sociopath.

Sounds like there might have been rumors about all of this going around Nerdist

I have a feeling she won't be the first to speak up in support. Highly doubt Chloe Dykstra was the only victim.