• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://medium.com/@skydart/rose-colored-glasses-6be0594970ca
searched and didn't find anything

I know normally posts and threads quote lots of excerpts but I think in this case people really need to read the entire source

i'll post the opening

Our relationship started out poorly. Within 2 weeks, rules were quickly established. Some of these included:

1. I "should not want to go somewhere at night". My nights were expected to be reserved for him, as he had a busy schedule. This alienated me from my friends.
  2. I was to not have close male friends unless we worked together. All photos of male friends were to be removed from my apartment. This was heartbreaking for me, as my best friend happened to be male.
  3. As he was sober, I was not to drink alcohol. Before we began dating he said, "I noticed you have a glass of wine with dinner. That's going to stop."
  4. I was not to speak in public places (elevators, cars with drivers, restaurants where tables were too close) as he believed that people recognized him and were listening to our conversations. Our dinners out were usually silent, him on his phone.
  5. I wasn't allowed to take a photo of us. (Eventually, he softened on this rule, but was very stern about me asking permission.)

If he's welcomed at Comic Con it will send a clear signal on how they view women

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
I read this earlier and didn't realise it was about Hardwick...it really recolours him into an entirely terrible human being from my point of view.

It reads like she was treated as sub-human....I just do not get how someone could to that to another human being.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never liked this guy and always found him annoying. Still kind of a surprise to hear that he's controlling and abusive though.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All kinds of fucked up. Is Chloe Dykstra related at all to the old philles baseball player

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Entering a thread about domestic abuse with victim blaming rhetoric without reading OP.
This reads like something straight out of 50 shades of grey.

Wtf. What a psycho control freak.
Why did she stay in this relationship? Seems all of this was at the start, had I had been the male best friend, I would have told her to get out, that the guy didn't respect her. (not trying to blame her for any of this, I just genuinely find it disturbing that someone can start a relationship this way, with someone who obviously doesn't want to be in this kind of relationship... I'm sure there is a kink like this, since this is basically 50 shades)

Edit: going to read the article and see whats up with this, maybe she thought he was joking? how long were they together... I need answers.

Edit2: "These were just a few of them. And I made the choice to accept his controlling behavior, as he'd just left his long-term girlfriend and I assumed that he was going through some serious emotional discomfort. This was a huge mistake."

That does clear up her thinking a bit. I can understand that and herself being a vulnerable target; because of past issues she mentions.

I can't understand guys like him, but he is the type of person I avoid in my life, you can't see people this way, especially those closest to you. It's like he views his partner as some sort of pet.

Last edited:

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Why did she stay in this relationship? Seems all of this was at the start, had I had been the male best friend, I would have told her to get out, that the guy didn't respect her. (not trying to blame her for any of this, I just genuinely find it disturbing that someone can start a relationship this way, with someone who obviously doesn't want to be in this kind of relationship... I'm sure there is a kink like this, since this is basically 50 shades)

Edit: going to read the article and see whats up with this, maybe she thought he was joking? how long were they together... I need answers.

You say you don't blame her but you're really putting the majority of the blame on Dykstra with all of this qualifying language. Abuse is really corrosive towards someone's self image and sense of control.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

you absolutely are

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Guy seemed annoying as hell from that show he was on, but never thought he was a real life psycho.

Absolutely HATED him in that stupid TV show he had (where random low level celebs would watch YouTube vids and comment on them).
It always came on right before (or after) a show I used to watch (Daily show? I forget what channel it was) and his delivery of the show name was like nails on a chalkboard. Couldn't fast forward or turn the TV off fast enough when it came on.
Edit: Midnight it was called.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, maybe read the article before saying stupid shit like this.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I would not have expected this from Chloe Dykstra because only watching her the last couple years I would have never have guessed anyone could harm her cheerfulness in such a profound way.

I saw the picture before talking about her gains from being anorexic but never knew the context. Fuck Hardwick.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Downplaying emotional abuse, victim-blaming.
If things like that were happening within 2 weeks I don't get how someone can stay with the person for 2 years, unless he physically threatened her from being able to leave it's just odd, i'd leave the relationship if things were so bad early on.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Abusers fish around for people they can control like this. Eventually they find somebody vulnerable enough to put up with their shit for a while.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

She literally covers it in the post. One step ahead of the victim blaming.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Chris Hardwick is the only celebrity I've ever argued with in the comments of his podcast about how he talks about himself too much, so I'm not surprised that the neurosis that he puts on display so regularly infected his personal and romantic relationships.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
PS: To the man who tried to ruin my future: A sincere and heartfelt apology could have made my last four years a hell of a lot easier. The person I used to date would try to sue me due to pride- I would not recommend it. I have audio/video that will support and prove many of the things I've stated in this post. I've chosen not to include it for your sake, in the hopes that the person you've become will do the right thing.

She's a bigger person that I am. I would release that shit. Glad she's out of that relationship. And fuck Chris. I hope his life is fucked after this.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this trending on twitter. It's been so long since I watched talking dead that I thought this was about someone else.

Read the whole article and it's just chilling. The part where she's in a hospital bed recovering from surgery and the first thing he asks the doctor after learning she'll be okay is how long before he can have sex with her was just unnerving, especially considering her mother was in the room. I'm glad she's in a happier place now. Loved the bit at the end about her having receipts if he tries to attack her.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne

Edit2: "These were just a few of them. And I made the choice to accept his controlling behavior, as he'd just left his long-term girlfriend and I assumed that he was going through some serious emotional discomfort. This was a huge mistake."

That does clear up her thinking a bit. I can understand that and herself being a vulnerable target; because of past issues she mentions.

I can't understand guys like him, but he is the type of person I avoid in my life, you can't see people this way, especially those closest to you. It's like he views his partner as some sort of pet.
Did you read to the end? Either way you should be able to infer why pretty easily. Human behavior isn't always rational dude.

Oct 28, 2017
The guy from the walking dead show? That guys a bottom tier talent. He must have thought he was something special to act like that.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone responding to me, I want to understand her thinking because it didn't make sense to me. Bringing up the question isn't about victim blaming, it's about understanding how someone can fall into this trap, which is literally the most important thing that can be gained from these sorts of articles, don't blame me that it's not in the OP. People are posting within moments of a thread going up, and you think they read the article before posting?

Abusers fish around for people they can control like this. Eventually they find somebody vulnerable enough to put up with their shit for a while.

Yeah that is exactly what seems to have happened.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Did you admit to not reading the article after you decided to start by victim blaming?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What you quoted in the OP is the mildest shit, things that could be dismissed as just a "weird relationship" that she could have left. The reality is SO MUCH WORSE. Y'all need to read the whole post because shit is not good. I know it's cliche' to do the whole "I never trusted/like that guy," as indication that you somehow always knew. But, with Hardwick I really did always figure something was up with him. Now I know, dude is scum.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a completely different person than what he appears to be on camera. What a shame.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I know it's cliche' to do the whole "I never trusted/like that guy," as indication that you somehow always knew. But, with Hardwick I really did always figure something was up with him. Now I know, dude is scum.
Yeah can we still not do the "I always knew there was something up with that guy" narrative. For every case of "I KNEW THEY WERE BAD" there's a case of "oh my god not them, they're my hero". It doesn't really help or add anything, just leads to people wildly speculating.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What you quoted in the OP is the mildest shit, things that could be dismissed as just a "weird relationship" that she could have left. The reality is SO MUCH WORSE. Y'all need to read the whole post because shit is not good. I know it's cliche' to do the whole "I never trusted/like that guy," as indication that you somehow always knew. But, with Hardwick I really did always figure something was up with him. Now I know, dude is scum.
Yup. The worst parts, by far, are not in the OP.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should have bailed the instant this sentence was uttered.
I think people downplay abusers language and arguments as this was actually communicated. I'm sure he played up the sympathy angle around him being an alcoholic and her potentially hurting his sobriety to exert control over her