• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
www.eurogamer.net

What it's like to develop a game for Xbox Series X - according to the creator of Chorus

Microsoft has just announced a raft of third-party Xbox Series X games, and among them is Chorus, a new fast-paced spac…

What is it like to develop for the Xbox Series X compared with the Xbox One? Are things easier for you now? Is it throwing up interesting challenges?

Johannes Kuhlmann:
I've got to say, the transition from coming from Xbox One to Xbox Series X was straightforward. We felt right at home on the new devkit. There weren't any particular challenges.

You have way more freedom. You don't have to worry about the framerate as much. You can instead crank it up to a higher framerate. In the end it's easier to develop for Xbox Series X than any other console.
So where do you stand on the teraflop debate? Do you consider teraflops to be the single most important thing when it comes to the power of a console as a third-party developer? Or is there more to the debate than that?

Johannes Kuhlmann:
There's definitely more to the debate than that. I can't really speak on any number differences, but what I know is we do have the game running and it looks very promising already. But what we always see with any console generation is we first have to learn how to handle the hardware, how to handle the software, and how to make the best use of it.

If you have a difference in teraflops, but then have an operating system or firmware that doesn't allow you to take advantage of this, then it's not going to be of much use. So there's definitely more to the debate. It definitely depends on how you can make use of hardware and software.

Lots more interesting quotes in the interview, so its a good read.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting article. I remember watching a Digital Foundry video a while back in which the DF guys said that developers have told them the PS4 tools were easier to work with than the XB1 ones, so I wonder if Microsoft have made progress in that regard. It could have been hardware-related too, I know the original Xbox One has a weird RAM setup that is nowhere near as straightforward as the PS4's.

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting article. I remember watching a Digital Foundry video a while back in which the DF guys said that developers have told them the PS4 tools were easier to work with than the XB1 ones, so I wonder if Microsoft have made progress in that regard. It could have been hardware-related too, like how the original Xbox One had that weird RAM setup that was nowhere near as straightforward as the PS4's.

I would assume getting away completely from ESRAM is incredibly helpful.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Massive computation headroom does that for you.

4K60 is good to see too.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also had the impression he was only talking about xbox consoles.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
The context is Xbox consoles, not PS5, which makes the thread title misleading.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Its a literal quote from the answer. If he meant Xbox, he would have said "any Xbox console"
He literally says:

How would you describe the differences in making the game for Xbox Series X versus PlayStation 5?

Johannes Kuhlmann:
I can't really go into details compared to PS5. We are of course looking into that as well. But for now, we've been focusing on the Xbox Series X.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Well they are very direct. "We don't have any Xbox Series X unique features." Also you might want to add the part where they are not comparing to the ps5.

Oct 25, 2017
i mean, its basically a pretty beefy current modern pc so not surprising

IF i wasnt going high end pc next gen again i would fuckin 110% be buying this system. its pretty impressive on paper even if it costs $550USD, thats still a steal considering the power youre getting

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The question asked by the interviewer was:

and when asked about PS5 later in the interview, the developer could not comment.
And then he replied and make the point for all the consoles they worked with?

It could be either way I think. Like it could be talking about how a next-gen having so much more power especially on the cpu makes it easier to develop. But it could also be a way to compare with the Ps5 indirectly saying that they barely needed to do anything to get the game reach the target framerate on SX but are having to do so on PS5 (Though the fact that he answers this before being asked about Ps5 makes it less likely)

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like he's saying it's the easiest because the system is so powerful you don't really need to worry about the types of tweaking and concessions you needed to with current gen systems

Joo

May 25, 2018
OP could update the thread title so people don't cling to it. We really don't need any more misleading statements. The developer is specifically stating that out of all Xbox's, XSX is the easiest one to develop for and that he can't give comments on PS5.

The thread title is an answer to this question: "What is it like to develop for the Xbox Series X compared with the Xbox One?"

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Good article title edit is now wrong though since the dev never said that

can't really wiggle out of any other console

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
This is getting ridiculous, even a slight mis-step (or was it?) has some up in arms.
Can't say anything against muh preferred console...yada yada. People don't say any console when talking about a specific family that's just not how linguistics works but I'll let people who don't speak 6 languages argue otherwise

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting ridiculous, even a slight mis-step (or was it?) has some up in arms.
Huh? I was just quoting the fucking article. No reason to misquote the devs. They were asked about the Xbox one vs series x and they answered. Just a little farther down the page they state they are not comparing the series x to the ps5. Jesus people need to relax.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Huh? I was just quoting the fucking article. No reason to misquote the devs. They were asked about the Xbox one vs series x and they answered. Just a little farther down the page they state they are not comparing the series x to the ps5. Jesus people need to relax.
He was agreeing with you in a way but language doesn't work like how you're implying

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, it's a game of inches around here. Cool article, they seem generally pleased.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Lol, it's a game of inches around here. Cool article, they seem generally pleased.
Yes they do, this was the best part;

I can actually go and say, we are targeting 4K, we are targeting 60FPS, and I think I also got that as well. And maybe the last little thing I was also hoping for was ray tracing support in hardware. And as far as I know, I got that as well.

We all know consoles run more efficeintly than PC's but damn, at the rumored $500 price tag that's pretty good.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Good article title edit is now wrong though since the dev never said that

can't really wiggle out of any other console
In what way? He was very clearly asked about things regarding only Xbox. He said that he can't comment anything regarding PS5 to a question asking about comparisons with the ease of development between PS5 and XSX. Wouldn't he precisely give a comment about PS5 if that "any other console" would also include PS5?

We don't know if they even have a PS5 devkit or how much they've spent time with it if they do. The article is great, but let's not jump into conclusions.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Yes they do, this was the best part;

I can actually go and say, we are targeting 4K, we are targeting 60FPS, and I think I also got that as well. And maybe the last little thing I was also hoping for was ray tracing support in hardware. And as far as I know, I got that as well.

We all know consoles run more efficeintly than PC's but damn, at the rumored $500 price tag that's pretty good.
We are getting monsters for sure am excite

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Is Chorus the one with the spaceship? This and Ascent were the only ones that really got me interested

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
In what way? He was very clearly asked about things regarding only Xbox. He said that he can't comment anything regarding PS5 to a question asking about comparisons with the ease of development between PS5 and XSX. Wouldn't he precisely be giving a comment about PS5 if that "any other console" would also include PS5?

We don't know if they even have a PS5 devkit or how much they've spent time with it if they do. The article is great, but let's not jump into conclusions.
Yes, you might be right. The oddity is that the PS5 comparison question comes after that, so it could easily mean a slip up and he remembered his NDA or something. Or maybe not. We'll never know.

In the end, both consoles will probably be a lot easier to work with than prior generations given the similarities with PC. Maybe Xbox has a slight advantage with the sustained clock speeds and stuff like that, I don't know because I'm not a developer. Both are fair game most likely.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
In what way? He was very clearly asked about things regarding only Xbox. He said that he can't comment anything regarding PS5 to a question asking about comparisons with the ease of development between PS5 and XSX. Wouldn't he precisely give a comment about PS5 if that "any other console" would also include PS5?

Have you ever heard someone say everything when they meant one singular set of things? I know six languages and have never heard someone use that figure of speech to refer to one thing or a specific set of things. Therefor my deduction would be that the Dev slipped and attempted to walk it back in the follow up question.

You could be right that they only meant Xbox devices but again that would be a very odd choice of phrasing

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I think the title really needs to be updated before people get mislead.
Though, I think SX should be easier, even if the difference is basically nonexistent.

But both consoles are using the exact same architecture, no differences between them like esram, and SX has a stronger cpu, gpu and higher bandwidth, the apis are also increasingly similar. And on Ps5 there's the point of variable clocks (which either is something that the developer has to take account for, which would make it intrinsically less easy, or not in which case it would be just as easy as SX)

So you have two incredibly similar consoles and one is just stronger which makes it easier to hit the target performance.

Edit: Which may be a moot point for most games, but for specific scenarios like pushing higher framerates could be harder to pull off.