• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I mean just look at a few of the games Obsidian has made and it's very obvious how they have to pay their fans to praise their mediocre products while trashing on other good devs such as Bethesda and Bioware:

Kotor 2
Significant downgrade to Kotor 1, worse story, worse character, filled with bugs, unfinished, universally agreed by critics to be worse than Kotor 1

New Vegas
Somehow looks worse than Fallout 3, Map feels empty/flat and uninspired, location of interest in New Vegas map = a small shack. No sense of exploration whatsoever, filled with bugs, unfinished, universally agreed by critics to be worse than Fallout 3

POE
Worse than Baldurs Gate in every way possible. Broken magic system, broken stat system at launch. Map lag. Huge amount of filler content with actual fanfic level writings. Graphics from 1995

Tyranny
Dumped by Microsoft for good reasons since this game is so bad. There is a reason why Obsidian has trouble finding publishers.
Did you know it was LucasArts that made the decision to change Kotor 2 release date? The game was originally to be released 2005 but it was changed to December 2004 forcing Obsidian to finish the game in a short time frame of 14 to 16 months. Blame the publisher not the developer.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
So you think the reason that these publishers aren't working with Obsidian anymore is because Obsidian is turning down the work? Lucasarts offered them KOTOR 4, Atari offered them NWN3, Bethesda offered them another Fallout and Obsidian said no to all these projects? I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here? That it's a nice place for the employees? That has nothing to do with anything I said.

FWIW, they did briefly work with Bethesda on Prey 2 pre-Arkane so the aftermath of New Vegas couldn't have been that bad.

Nov 3, 2017
The Codex isn't pro-right or pro-left. The site has practically zero moderation so you can say whatever you want and you have to handle the idiot posters yourself.

Of course it's neither.

Though if you want to enjoy your time on the Codex, it helps immensely if you think calling people "f******s* and using emoticons depicting greedy jews is imperative for a sensible discussion.

It also helps if you think that everybody you lable as feminist, globalist or (much worse) someone who likes romance options in RPGS are the scum of the earth.

It's also a great idea to believe that gamergate is a valiant effort to fight in the defense of video games against normies, feminazis and people who like romance options in RPGs.

It's also helpful if you see the gaming world as a small island of sensible defenders (with yourself on it) battling against the darkness of idiocy and "decline" (all other people and all other webpages and 99% of all developers and publishers).

But other than that, it is totally neutral and has no political leaning

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

The site itself, and by that I mean the ownership and moderation team, doesn't seem to have a particular political leaning. I've been a member since 2009 and no-one has ever sanctioned me for my left-leaning or right-leaning opinions. You are describing the part of the userbase that is indeed part of the alt-right. The site is effectively a free-for-all, you either have to get used to everyone being able to say anything, even vile shit, or start mass-ignoring people. For many people it might not be worth it but I've had a lot of fantastic discussions over the years about RPGs with people who really know their shit.

Anyway, this discussion is not really on topic so shoot me a PM if you want to discuss this.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The Codex isn't pro-right or pro-left. The site has practically zero moderation so you can say whatever you want and you have to handle the idiot posters yourself.
It definitely isn't the worst place on the Internet like people try to make it (It isn't, let say, /pol/). I mean, I post there and I'm definitely not alt right lol. There are also a lot of good posters which is why I don't like to group everyone together.

But the Codex's reputation is 100% deserved, you can literally read stuff like "We need another holocaust" in a RPG discussion and no one will bat an eye. You had people genuinely upset at the mere existence of homosexual NPCs in Original Sin 2 and people's beliefs tend to ster discussions in certain directions (Discussing Siege for example was pretty much impossible for a long while, because "politics" had completely overtaken the threads).

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
The site itself, and by that I mean the ownership and moderation team, doesn't seem to have a particular political leaning.

So... what? The community as a whole (and this does not mean every individual member) has a very clear ideological orientation. If half the patrons at a bar were wearing KKK robes, would you tell a non-white person that anyone can drink there, they just have to deal with the shitty customers themselves?

But anyway, yes this is off-topic.

Hopping_Mad

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Australia
Of course it's neither.

Though if you want to enjoy your time on the Codex, it helps immensely if you think calling people "f******s* and using emoticons depicting greedy jews is imperative for a sensible discussion.

It also helps if you think that everybody you lable as feminist, globalist or (much worse) someone who likes romance options in RPGS are the scum of the earth.

It's also a great idea to believe that gamergate is a valiant effort to fight in the defense of video games against normies, feminazis and people who like romance options in RPGs.

It's also helpful if you see the gaming world as a small island of sensible defenders (with yourself on it) battling against the darkness of idiocy and "decline" (all other people and all other webpages and 99% of all developers and publishers).

Did you get banned from the forum? Cause you sure sound like it.

Oct 27, 2017
Funktion I'll say this and stop less we get into Godwin's law but your court argument is basically the same one people make against anyone making allegations (sexual assault, whatever). If this really happened they would have proof and would've taken it to the courts. Life isn't always that easy and sometimes companies fuck you and there's realistically nothing you can do about it when you have obligations to not abandon your family to spend years trying to win a court victory.
Without wanting to go OT, you know why this whole thing "clicked" with me, and I keep saying labour and business disputes are not usually as clear-cut as described?
Earlier on this thread I was even "accused" of siding with Obsidian, because of my appreciation of their games. But that's not really it.

I basically have to deal with crap like this day in or day out. I am a co-owner of an accounting firm. Both from experiences with my own firm, and from clients firms (in which we are involved, because we process their wages and fiscal obligations), labour disputes, or owners/shareholders disputes are a mess. I can tell you I keep hearing stories such as the one Chris is telling (as an employee), and usually what's missing from the story is people not showing up, people abusing co-workers and/or management, people not working, and so on. Do companies sometimes screw up their employees? Sure. But people forget the opposite happens, and it's much more frequent than you may believe. Much, much more. But yet, people always side with the employee.
I had people coming in asking me for work. They say they were fired from their previous job without reason, without proper pay, the previous boss made them work unpaid hours, would do this, would do that, their former co-workers would abuse them, and so so. After a while, I find exactly why their previous employer fired them, because I have to do so myself. These people just don't want to work, or can't work in a team. And I'm sure they'll be going to their next job, repeating the same thing, but this time about me. Some people are just faultless, it was all their former employers fault.
One thing I was always curious about Chris: we was a co-owner of Obsidian, and an employee. Yet, he kept working, and showing up on games from outside companies. He almost appeared to have spend more time working on other games, from other companies, than his own. How did that happen? Did his fellow co-owners agree to this, especially considering they apparently wanted him to sign a non-compete clause when he left? It sounds like a very strange working agreement.

And again, since I mentioned it before, regarding that whole "de-ownered" thing, I will stop short of saying it's a load of crap, because I'm used to European legislation, and this is a US company.
I'll tell you that, to me, the whole thing does not make sense. If it was in Europe, I would tell you that was a complete fabrication, he had to accept to sell his stake in the company, agree on the price, and so on. There would be no way what he described (being "de-ownered" without choice, without payment/compensation, without a say) is true.

As for the whole "someone's wife is being paid without working", that is shady! Fraud! They are evil!
Yeah, right. This is the kind of thing that is done by pretty much every company, big or small, in order for the company and/or people involved to pay less taxes. No company, and I do mean, no company, doesn't use whatever they can, in order to pay less taxes.
Probably, you have the husband earning less than they should, and they declare the wife as earning the rest of his wages (so it doesn't reach a certain threshold that would mean paying "x" % more taxes), in order to save on taxes, for example. It's hard for me to speak in detail, without knowing the whole thing, but much of what Chris described as shady management sounds like a very twisted re-telling of things that happen in pretty much every company.
And I have no doubt some of those things ended up being in Chris (and fellow owners) benefit, while things were OK between them, since it allowed them to declare more costs, and pay less taxes. But now, since things went south, it suddenly turns shady, and he knows nothing about it.

It's one thing that is common to all of Chris claims: management did this, co-workers or project leads did this, I had no say, I did not agree, I had no choice, I earned nothing from it. If we found out exactly what happened, I doubt things were as clear-cut, and one-sided as he claims.

Last edited:

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
It's one thing that is common to all of Chris claims: management did this, co-workers or project leads did this, I had no say, I did not agree, I had no choice, I earned nothing from it. If we found out exactly what happened, I doubt things were as clear-cut, and one-sided as he claims.

I appreciate getting the perspective of someone who actually deals with this sort of stuff in real life. And I agree very very much with he quoted part; his narrative is so wildly self-serving, self-martyrizing (is that a word?) even, it beggars belief.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck would you get banned from the Codex? By being too polite to people?
Spam mostly.

Or if you make the effort and are obnoxious in a truly unique way for years.

The management usually just prefers to fuck with you by restricting your posting in some funny way, trolling you with a custom title (or every custom title at once) or the most horrid fate of all - redirecting you to the RPGWatch.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
He does this four days before a massive game release for Obsidian? Come on, man.

If you check the article this has been an interview ongoing since 2016. I guess it's more on the Codex fault (and maybe Avellone not thinking things through with answering questions immediately).
It hasn't made the "big news" so I don't think it will have any impact in Obsidian at all.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
So you think the reason that these publishers aren't working with Obsidian anymore is because Obsidian is turning down the work? Lucasarts offered them KOTOR 4, Atari offered them NWN3, Bethesda offered them another Fallout and Obsidian said no to all these projects? I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here? That it's a nice place for the employees? That has nothing to do with anything I said.
You realise Bethesda did work with Obsidian again after New Vegas, right? After Bethesda fucked over Human Head, Obsidian were the ones they hired to try and finish Prey 2. Square Enix also worked with them after Dungeon Siege 3 came out, on a new Deus Ex. Sure, neither project came together but it's proof there isn't some kind of ridiculous bad blood between them.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck would you get banned from the Codex? By being too polite to people?

My experience, since the internet began, is that most forums have a certain 'vibe', and that if you operate on a different 'frequency' then you're going to run into trouble regardless of the forum rules.

I know nothing about this 'codex' place, but it sounds like it fits the above definition - that you sort of have to be a specific type of person to fit in there.

Funnily enough, I'm willing to bet that this codex place does have 'rules', and that the people who enforce those rules do so 'proudly' and actually believe they're maintaining a certain standard.

Jerry Orbach

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, that's what you do when you have legitimate claims, and claim to have the money to do so. Courts exist for a reason. You surely don't resolve your problems on an internet forum, or by going out and insulting, or assaulting a person.
I definitely think Chris should stop assaulting people, I don't care what the stretch goal promised.

Hopping_Mad

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Australia
My experience, since the internet began, is that most forums have a certain 'vibe', and that if you operate on a different 'frequency' then you're going to run into trouble regardless of the forum rules.

I know nothing about this 'codex' place, but it sounds like it fits the above definition - that you sort of have to be a specific type of person to fit in there.

Funnily enough, I'm willing to bet that this codex place does have 'rules', and that the people who enforce those rules do so 'proudly' and actually believe they're maintaining a certain standard.
Or they could have been such a dirtbag that even codex couldnt tolerate it. They are on best behavior here and shitpost elsewhere.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
The site itself, and by that I mean the ownership and moderation team, doesn't seem to have a particular political leaning. I've been a member since 2009 and no-one has ever sanctioned me for my left-leaning or right-leaning opinions. You are describing the part of the userbase that is indeed part of the alt-right. The site is effectively a free-for-all, you either have to get used to everyone being able to say anything, even vile shit, or start mass-ignoring people. For many people it might not be worth it but I've had a lot of fantastic discussions over the years about RPGs with people who really know their shit.

Anyway, this discussion is not really on topic so shoot me a PM if you want to discuss this.

If you run a site and consistently tolerate slurs and supremacy, you're not neutral.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, people on Codex forums threw a hissy fit about Beamdog adding a few graphical options to the Infinity Engine remasters for people with sight problems. You have to be some special kind of asshole to get mad about it.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Lmao people like you always do the "shoot me a PM" thing

No one is buying your shit, dude.

I don't give a fuck how "fantastic" your discussions have been. If you willingly participate in a website that tolerates bigotry and slurs, you're as bad as the rest of them.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would also bet money that a ton of people who post there are incels.

Brood_Star

Oct 27, 2017
...which doesn't attract certain individuals at all. By this argument, 4chan's /pol/ isn't right or left either!!!!!!!

Like, it was literally the biggest hotbed for certain GamerGate issues at one point. I get it, I lurk and post there once in a blue moon, but this is past willfully turning a blind eye territory and straight into delusion. There are a handful of devs and and posters who are not strictly alt-right, and the rest is just "sjw" and "cuck" spam

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Some (white men) are willing to ignore all the blatant bigotry and hate on the Codex because there are people there who can talk shop about RPGs, but trying to whitewash the place is ridiculous. It is what it is.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Some (white men) are willing to ignore all the blatant bigotry and hate on the Codex because there are people there who can talk shop about RPGs, but trying to whitewash the place is ridiculous. It is what it is.

And it leans that way cause it makes it unbearable for most people who don't lean that way. If you don't moderate against it, you allow it to take over. I used to mod a motorcycle forum that for a while the owner really wanted to allow free speech. I argued that we should at least stop the hate speech because it was chasing other people away and that I knew of at least one person personally who did leave cause of it (it was a forum for riders of Washington state and east side is really conservative). I mean we had at least one person talking how they did want homosexuals to die (though most didn't get that extreme). Eventually he did have to concede that we needed to put a reign on it cause he wanted it to stay open to everyone and it was getting pretty hostile to gay people even with some of us arguing against those people.

Sometimes if you don't moderate you are going to end up with a forum full of people who lean one way. Cause if you are feeling outnumbered by people who you really can't agree with it makes the forum unpleasant and you'll leave, leaving others like you to feel even more outnumbered. And honestly, if you really cared and didn't agree with that level of hate, you will eventually put a reign on it. As I said, the owner didn't want to censor but even he agreed it was getting too far and put a stop to it on that forum. At some point if you own or moderate the forum and you don't put a stop to extreme talk, I'd say it's pretty likely that you probably agree with it.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any interest in Obsidian games and stuff they put out zeroed.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why Avellone posting the same thing here or on Reddit for example would suddenly make it true and sensible, but not when it's somewhere else.
Devs feel more welcome on some more specialized forum's, even if they disagree with some opinions/tendencies.

I mean it's the difference between posting it on something like r/gaming and r/kotakuinaction, isn't it? I don't necessarily agree that his response is tainted based on where it is currently, since the site fits his work, but it certainly could affect how he presents things.

Did you get banned from the forum? Cause you sure sound like it.

...your response to someone listing multiple valid reasons for seeing a forum's community as being wildly misogynistic, homophobic, antisemitic, etc. is really "you're just angry cause you totally got banned from it lol"? Seriously?

What are you even implying- that it's not actually that bad? That they could only care about it being that bad if they got banned?

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Any interest in Obsidian games and stuff they put out zeroed.

Throws the baby out with the bath-water. Sure, all the rank and file programmers and script editors and animators totally deserve the game they're working on to fail because of possible senior staff and management issues.

Honestly, if what Obsidian have done/are doing offends people, raise your voices for things like unionisation of the games industry, transparent hiring/firing practices and an acceptance of things other industries regard as norms, like full job descriptions.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
...which doesn't attract certain individuals at all. By this argument, 4chan's /pol/ isn't right or left either!!!!!!!
I don't see what's so hard to understand about Alexandros' post.

The way I interpret his point is with this question:

Does a poster actually get banned for posting liberal opinions on Codex or /pol/ ?? I do not visit either place so I don't know, but it sounds like Alexandros is saying no you do not.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
sounds like 4chan /vg

Twig

Oct 25, 2017

Does a poster actually get banned for posting liberal opinions on Codex or /pol/ ?? I do not visit either place so I don't know, but it sounds like Alexandros is saying no you do not.
Community moderation through things like dogpiling and ostracization is 100% a thing. Not getting officially banned by a moderator is nice or whatever, but you can still feel alienated by the views of the majority.

It even happens around here, sometimes. People post that they feel unwelcome because they have unpopular viewpoints. Mostly assholes posting borderline alt-right bullshit in my experience, but still.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

There is zero push back to hate speech, even from the forum community. It's not a community where there you have some people spouting vile bigotry but at least an equal number of people calling them on their shit. No one speaks up.

Seriously if you haven't been to the forum, you really can't judge.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Community moderation through things like dogpiling and ostracization is 100% a thing. Not getting officially banned by a moderator is nice or whatever, but you can still feel alienated by the views of the majority.

It even happens around here, sometimes. People post that they feel unwelcome because they have unpopular viewpoints. Mostly assholes posting borderline alt-right bullshit in my experience, but still.

There is zero push back to hate speech, even from the forum community. It's not a community where there you have some people spouting vile bigotry but at least an equal number of people calling them on their shit. No one speaks up.

Seriously if you haven't been to the forum, you really can't judge.

I perfectly understand you two's points.

My point is there is a technical difference, between owners/mods actually banning posters with liberal opinions, versus not. That's all.

I went to Codex once a long time ago, and I didn't feel any desire to go back. But I don't see why people can't seem to interpret Alexandros' post, lol

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey

This is an irrelevant question that does not speak to the general atmosphere of the forum. A forum dominated by bigoted viewpoints is still dominated said viewpoints regardless of who they don't ban. Lack of moderation in itself is a bias. Apologizing for bigotry by saying you could just ignore it is a really bad response. Some people (white men) are just willing to accept hate to get their RPG talk, but that doesn't excuse the Codex's deep seated issues.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Some people (white men)

Why put it in parenthesis if you're going to be so blatant about it

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I mean, despite it all, Obsidian losing Avelone was probably a huge morale dump as he is considered one of the best writers in the biz. I'm sure that whatever happened between them it would have to be pretty irreconcilable for both of the parties to cut ties like that, so I could see that it would have to be something as serious as what he accuses for it to happen.

My honest hope though is that Avelone doesn't just continue to flit from project to project, becoming "human stretch goal" as it were. That's a disservice to his talents. Hopefully, he can find a new home somewhere where he feels more appreciated.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone defending the RPG Codex needs to think long and hard about what forces they're allowing free rein just because they're passionate about a certain set of videogame mechanics.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, I said that the discussion about RPG Codex is off-topic but I don't want it to seem like I'm avoiding your questions. If a moderator says that it's ok to continue that discussion here I will answer to every single person that quoted me.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
There is some merit to discussing what was it about RPG Codex facilitated his speaking out but I honestly doubt it's the politics. I think the fact that the dudes worship the ground he walks on may have contributed to him being pretty loose-lipped during and post interview. It probably felt a bit like sitting around the pub shit talking to anybody within earshot. But the internet is forever, unfortunately.

It would say that it is also really unfortunate that there are people on that forum that seem to be going after Obsidian in a more proactive manner so, well, there is another reason why that particular medium seems to be a poor choice of venue. If you want to make an argument that that is because of their culture I think that's also fair.

Beyond that, I don't think it's worth discussing it more. I'm pretty sure people are abundantly clear what they happen to be about there. But I'm just one voice.