• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
So when the story lets you emotionally abuse a ghost to make her answer your questions and it's as effective as not engaging in abuse, you think that's not taking a side?

I mean...that could totally be true.

In many games you can choose to kill your way through a situation, or try to do it diplomatically, or just try to sneak through. Obviously not all these options are as moral as others, but each are just as effective.

Also I'm not sure how your example relates to politics exactly.

We can deal with your patronizing attitude right away if you wish. I certainly did not imply they should not talk about it if it is indeed much later.

I understand people are scared but It will certainly help if victims speak about it as soon as possible. That way it is documented and if others come forward it helps build even more evidence. Talking about it years after the fact introduces many variables. Foggy memories, evidence that might no longer be there, witnesses that may have been around at the time, etc. There is a reason why having a jury who knows none of the details beforehand is ideal.

While what you are saying seems rational, it's ignorant.

Literally everyone knows it's not optimal to wait. That doesn't change the fact that when it happens to you the world flips upside down and the trauma of trying to get it reported only adds to the pain in a very significant way you have no business judging. As that other poster before me said, your psyche goes through a loop.

Gosh like dude when it happened to me it took me two years before I could re-open the issue mentally and realize I was abused at all. It made me sick when the connection hit. I literally threw up. I'd tried to bottle up all those feelings to get by before. I didn't even realize all the things my brain was doing to help protect me. And that's two years later, and all I wanted in that moment was to die. Telling someone was the last thing on my mind, let alone being anything I'd wanted to do. And at that point there was no point. I had no idea where they were. It's an immense amount of emotional energy to expend. I'd have no idea what I'd even want to have happen. Nothing legal would be proven. It would raise issues with my own family as letting them know would make things so, so, so much worse.

It is so much more complicated than you understand. Obviously these people getting caught immediately would be so much better. People who don't get caught tend to get bolder. We get that. All of us get that. But it isn't helpful to point out.

I think something that I haven't seen expressed and didn't understand until it happened to me, was how utterly naked reporting trauma makes you feel, which, when you have experienced trauma, is the absolute last thing you want. Aside from the fact that my family would probably vilify me in some way if they knew the things that happened to me, even with total support I would eternally be the kid in the family who was sexually abused. I don't really know how to explain how horrible that sounds. How naked and exposed and vulnerable that would make me feel. It would make it feel more real, more out there in the open. Being manipulated into things I did not want to do is the most humiliating, compromising....I don't have a word for it, kind of thing.

I've typed out a number of other things and deleted them a few times. Probably just isn't best if I keep rambling on about this.

Shit's complicated.

Last edited:

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Not everything needs to be a morality play. And that's not even the worst thing you/the practical incarnation have done.
Not to mention that the moral imperative to not emotionally abuse someone is not grounded in it being ineffective.

In general, getting into the minutiae of what's depicted in games Chris Avellone wrote for is missing the forest for the leaves on individual twigs. His real-life behavior and how it affects real-life people is what's at issue.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing NV is more Sawyer than Avellone.

Fucking hell.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
EegGDVq.jpg

Fucking ew. This and Ansel Egort has me hating talented people who are coincidentally sexist, harassing douchebags.
Reminds me of that Fallout 2 (possible) companion who could rape you if you have low intelligence and play as a female.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I never cared about Avellone and I'm glad he is gone if he did that stuff but are we now getting scandalized by... fiction? I'm missing something?
I mean good writer or not your mind has to go there if it makes it into a game. Like seriously think about that scenario "she's dumb, I'll rape her" or "dumb women get raped". Think about the amount of effort put into that. It is not just fucked up, it's twisted on so many levels.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
So when the story lets you emotionally abuse a ghost to make her answer your questions and it's as effective as not engaging in abuse, you think that's not taking a side?
The abuse of Deionara is categorized as "evil" (Literally shift your alignment to evil). Planescape is general allows you to do some pretty monstrous things to your companions as part of the role play, and this is without getting into the Nameless One's past. I feel like people are reading too much into these behaviors, which are just a way to let people play an evil character and extend to pretty much any RPG that allows you to play an evil character.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I mean good writer or not your mind has to go there if it makes it into a game. Like seriously think about that scenario "she's dumb, I'll rape her" or "dumb women get raped". Think about the amount of effort put into that. It is not just fucked up, it's twisted on so many levels.

That DLC is mainly by josh sawyer so i dont get why people are linking it to avellone
You have Lonesome Road to look for conspiracy theory links, Ulysses is literally an Avellone self-insert

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

What. The. Actual Fuck.

Jacqui Collins used to do marketing for Adult Swim Games (that's how I came across her) and now PR for Riot Games.

I'm glad Chris is being pulled from partnerships with other developers. A few folks here were going off at me for wanting to boycott his upcoming games but something good came out from contacting those devs.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, it's called fiction and it's meant to shock sometimes. Shocking, I know.

And, as it was said by another user, it was mostly Sawyer. You don't have to go there to create fucked up characters.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chris is an incredible writer who helped raise the bar in videogame writing. (He certainly is far better than anything Neil Druckman has ever done).
Hes also a piece of shit.

You can have both. Also, fuck off with the people who "Always knew".Nobody besides the people directly involved "always knew".

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Myron. He is portraited as a complete shithead and i dont possibly know why anyone on earth would want to have him as a companion. Not that it makes it any better. Fallout 2 is a product of the times, theres also a similar distasteful scene with a super mutant and some toys you can partake in

Nov 1, 2017
DFW, Texas
I love me some CancelERA. I'm still waiting for the "he wasn't a piece of shit when he wrote Planescape Torment" defense league, as well as the always constructive "I can separate my enjoyment of art from the problematic pieces of shit that produce them". I mean Triumph of the Will influenced some shot compositions in Star Wars, so Nazi propaganda can't be that bad, right?

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Oh man, this is just terrible. I love his writing style and character development. Used to be so excited when he went freelance to write for different studios. I'm really torn up about this. :(

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I mean...that could totally be true.

In many games you can choose to kill your way through a situation, or try to do it diplomatically, or just try to sneak through. Obviously not all these options are as moral as others, but each are just as effective.

Also I'm not sure how your example relates to politics exactly.

While what you are saying seems rational, it's ignorant.

Literally everyone knows it's not optimal to wait. That doesn't change the fact that when it happens to you the world flips upside down and the trauma of trying to get it reported only adds to the pain in a very significant way you have no business judging. As that other poster before me said, your psyche goes through a loop.

Gosh like dude when it happened to me it took me two years before I could re-open the issue mentally and realize I was abused at all. It made me sick when the connection hit. I literally threw up. I'd tried to bottle up all those feelings to get by before. I didn't even realize all the things my brain was doing to help protect me. And that's two years later, and all I wanted in that moment was to die. Telling someone was the last thing on my mind, let alone being anything I'd wanted to do. And at that point there was no point. I had no idea where they were. It's an immense amount of emotional energy to expend. I'd have no idea what I'd even want to have happen. Nothing legal would be proven. It would raise issues with my own family as letting them know would make things so, so, so much worse.

It is so much more complicated than you understand. Obviously these people getting caught immediately would be so much better. People who don't get caught tend to get bolder. We get that. All of us get that. But it isn't helpful to point out.

I think something that I haven't seen expressed and didn't understand until it happened to me, was how utterly naked reporting trauma makes you feel, which, when you have experienced trauma, is the absolute last thing you want. Aside from the fact that my family would probably vilify me in some way if they knew the things that happened to me, even with total support I would eternally be the kid in the family who was sexually abused. I don't really know how to explain how horrible that sounds. How naked and exposed and vulnerable that would make me feel. It would make it feel more real, more out there in the open. Being manipulated into things I did not want to do is the most humiliating, compromising....I don't have a word for it, kind of thing.

I've typed out a number of other things and deleted them a few times. Probably just isn't best if I keep rambling on about this.

Shit's complicated.

This should basically be threadmarked as one of the most understandable and coherent explanation of how much harder it is to experience that level of abuse than most people can remotely understand without either having gone through it themselves, or possessing a truly rare level of empathy.

In a similar vein, it's why even 'nonviolent' cases of harassment, racism, sexism, transphobia/homophobia, or just general bullying can have such caustic effects : the abusers are inflicting often heavy psychological and emotional anguish on their victims, and part of that pain can make even processing it and reporting it extremely daunting.

Our society which has tended to victim blame and exhort "punch the bully in the mouth/pull yourself up by your bootstraps" oorah kind of attitude is absolutely a part of why this stuff is so toxic.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
That explains why he was slowly removed from the places he worked at.
I thought it was because he's often an ass to people but it's disgusting to see that it's even worst than that.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Myron is a recruitable companion and the creater of the drug "Jet". When you approach him as a female character with low intelligence (which has unique dialogs and locks you out of 90% the quests because people can't understand you nor can your character understand them), he drugs you if you don't leave and implicitly rapes you. See the dialog:
oxnoGEK.jpg

Mdc1DEq.jpg

X37ga38.jpg

Brah

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
User banned (permanent): registering to defend sexual assault
Hi everyone, I want to start by saying two things:
- in no way I condone sexual assault or inappropriate sexual behavior;
- I fully respect victims who decide to come forward and share their experience.

That said, I don't understand the magnitude of the outrage that these recent accusations have sparked, especially in this thread. I want to be clear: I don't think Avellone's behavior was positive, I just can't understand why everyone is treating him like a sex offender when no one publicly accused him of that.

To my knowledge, these are the accusations against him (not in chronological order):

He is accused of groping another woman while in a relationship. This is not something you should do and it obviously is reprehensible, but to the best of our knowledge he didn't do anything else after being told to "stay the fuck away from her". So he might be a shitty boyfriend and a very bad situation reader, but not a sex offender.

He is accused of getting drunk with a woman and then trying to have sex with her, but she specifically says that she refused him and he accepted her rejection. Again, he may be very bad at social interactions, but he didn't rape her and I'm not the one saying that he didn't: the very same woman who is accusing him is doing it.

He is accused of getting drunk with other women and then disappearing with them for the night. This really isn't even an accusation, it's just speculation. Mind you, I'm not saying that she is lying, I'm just reading exactly what she wrote:
Other nights, I watched him do the same to other girls, some of whom looked FAR younger than me in my late 20s (at the time, and I have always looked young for my age). He would disappear with one or another, come back, then come back to me. The entire con.
Where that "do the same to other girls" means get drunk with them and then go to his hotel room. What this entire phrase means is that he had casual sex with young-looking women, nothing more. Since they were drinking, we can exclude that they were minors, so I can't see any meaningful accusation here.

He is accused of being a shitty boyfriend and treating her girlfriend in disrespectful ways. As I said, that's obviously wrong, but this has nothing to do with sexual assault. I have been a shitty boyfriend in the past, but then I acknowledged my errors, I worked on myself, I improved and now I am in a healthy and happy relationship. Having been a bad boyfriend in the past can't be enough to completely destroy someone and erase him from existence.

He misinterpreted a message and, thinking that a woman wanted to have sex with him, he awkwardly told her that he was interested in her. "Also I need a third-wheeling exit strategy" can easily be misread as a flirtatious text, especially at 1 am and especially if you are drunk. I didn't pursue her after her rejection, so, again, while this may be inappropriate, it's not the behavior of a monster and a sexual predator.

Since these are the only accusations against Avellone so far, your reaction in this thread seems extremely disproportionate to me. You are treating him like a monster, a sex predator, a sexual abuser and even worse, but no one accused him of that.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This should basically be threadmarked as one of the most understandable and coherent explanation of how much harder it is to experience that level of abuse than most people can remotely understand without either having gone through it themselves, or possessing a truly rare level of empathy.

In a similar vein, it's why even 'nonviolent' cases of harassment, racism, sexism, transphobia/homophobia, or just general bullying can have such caustic effects : the abusers are inflicting often heavy psychological and emotional anguish on their victims, and part of that pain can make even processing it and reporting it extremely daunting.

Our society which has tended to victim blame and exhort "punch the bully in the mouth/pull yourself up by your bootstraps" oorah kind of attitude is absolutely a part of why this stuff is so toxic.

It is good for the victims sake to try and help them feel capable of standing up for themselves, but yes it must come with understanding that the kind of suffering the victim experience directly makes their faculties for standing up for themselves difficult to access.

I'm really glad that post was understandable. I tend to ramble with that shit. I don't know how well it can be understood if you haven't gone through it, but maybe it can be appreciatead.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
- I fully respect victims who decide to come forward and share their experience.

That said, I don't understand the magnitude of the outrage that these recent accusations have sparked, especially in this thread. I want to be clear: I don't think Avellone's behavior was positive, I just can't understand why everyone is treating him like a sex offender when no one publicly accused him of that.

To my knowledge, these are the accusations against him (not in chronological order):

He is accused of groping another woman while in a relationship. This is not something you should do and it obviously is reprehensible, but to the best of our knowledge he didn't do anything else after being told to "stay the fuck away from her". So he might be a shitty boyfriend and a very bad situation reader, but not a sex offender.

He is accused of getting drunk with a woman and then trying to have sex with her, but she specifically says that she refused him and he accepted her rejection. Again, he may be very bad at social interactions, but he didn't rape her and I'm not the one saying that he didn't: the very same woman who is accusing him is doing it.

He is accused of getting drunk with other women and then disappearing with them for the night. This really isn't even an accusation, it's just speculation. Mind you, I'm not saying that she is lying, I'm just reading exactly what she wrote:

Where that "do the same to other girls" means get drunk with them and then go to his hotel room. What this entire phrase means is that he had casual sex with young-looking women, nothing more. Since they were drinking, we can exclude that they were minors, so I can't see any meaningful accusation here.

He is accused of being a shitty boyfriend and treating her girlfriend in disrespectful ways. As I said, that's obviously wrong, but this has nothing to do with sexual assault. I have been a shitty boyfriend in the past, but then I acknowledged my errors, I worked on myself, I improved and now I am in a healthy and happy relationship. Having been a bad boyfriend in the past can't be enough to completely destroy someone and erase him from existence.

He misinterpreted a message and, thinking that a woman wanted to have sex with him, he awkwardly told her that he was interested in her. "Also I need a third-wheeling exit strategy" can easily be misread as a flirtatious text, especially at 1 am and especially if you are drunk. I didn't pursue her after her rejection, so, again, while this may be inappropriate, it's not the behavior of a monster and a sexual predator.

Since these are the only accusations against Avellone so far, your reaction in this thread seems extremely disproportionate to me. You are treating him like a monster, a sex predator, a sexual abuser and even worse, but no one accused him of that.

Pretty much everything you've said here is shitty but one thing is so monumentally stupid that I had to point it out, groping someone is sexual assault in law and you can be prosecuted for that, so yeah, he would be a sex offender for that alone.

Brah

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Pretty much everything you've said here is shitty but one thing is so monumentally stupid that I had to point it out, groping someone is sexual assault in law and you can be prosecuted for that, so yeah, he would be a sex offender for that alone.
It really depends on the situation. Groping someone who doesn't want you to do that is obviously wrong, but there's nothing wrong with groping someone if there's consent. Maybe I misread that tweet, but it seems to me that she specifically says that he stopped as soon as she told him to stop.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
It really depends on the situation. Groping someone who doesn't want you to do that is obviously wrong, but there's nothing wrong with groping someone if there's consent. Maybe I misread that tweet, but it seems to me that she specifically says that he stopped as soon as she told him to stop.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with groping someone if they've consented.

And if they haven't consented, that means that person has been sexually assaulted. Ergo, Avellone sexually assaulted someone.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
This behavior is wrong and immoral even before one is asked to stop. That's sexual assault unless you get consent beforehand.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
OK but Avellone didn't write Honest Hearts, he headed up the other DLC expansions but not the one in the picture.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Karissa did not consent to making out with him. He made out with him without her consent. She also believes he might have gone further if not for her period. Being drunk is not an excuse.

Then she sees him doing the same to other girls and is concerned and notices a pattern.

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He is accused of groping another woman while in a relationship. This is not something you should do and it obviously is reprehensible, but to the best of our knowledge he didn't do anything else after being told to "stay the fuck away from her".

If you're told to stay the fuck away, I presume that he didn't gain consent. LOL.

"Hi, I believe all survivors and believe that sexual assault is wrong but I'm gonna defend this man because all he does is shitty activity but he's hasn't actually sexually assaulted anyone. All he did was grope someone and sent sexual messages!"

Get your head out of your ass.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I undestand some of your points, except one: If he groped her without any kind of consent ( which seems to be the case) thats straight up a crime. Its sexual assault. We are talking about jail time here.

Oct 25, 2017
Uh so about this

Apparently Chris named her without her consent, she DMd him asking him to remove her name because she didn't want to be involved. He didn't take them down and she can no longer DM him.

Her full post is here

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Poster with username 'Brah' coming in with the worst, most cliché of hot-takes. Could you be anymore of a stereotype? Jesus Christ. Are you a troll?

Last edited:

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Chris named her without her consent, she DMd him asking him to remove her name because she didn't want to be involved. He didn't take them down and she can no longer DM him.

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Obviously not the same type of situation, but he was publicly dragging people into his beef with Obsidian/Feargus back when as well. Trash person remains trash.

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's super interesting that Hardlight evidently stopped working with him a while ago and he was only involved with the project for a short time. Considering how his name was publicized during the reveal of Bloodlines 2 I kind of doubt the intention was for him to have such a small role.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
It's super interesting that Hardlight evidently stopped working with him a while ago and he was only involved with the project for a short time. Considering how his name was publicized during the reveal of Bloodlines 2 I kind of doubt the intention was for him to have such a small role.
When it was revealed, he tweeted out that he had been involved with the game years prior. Reckon it's highly likely that his stuff didn't agree with Mitsoda and Ellison's creative vision for the game... stuff I'm guessing that was stupidly edgy and tone-deaf regarding the many women characters that populate the World of Darkness.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
A bunch of games I really like probably blinked away forever. RIP KOTOR 2 and Planescape: Torment.
The revelations into what went on at UbiSoft is the most severe MeToo in gaming story of the week so far but this isn´t too far behind and the one that will affect me the most. Him being an ashole isn´t new, read up on his ugly divorce from Obsidian, but wow. I am glad that Avellone got as thoroughly canceled as he was this week by his current employers. Dying Light 2, System Shock 2 Vampires 2 are thus safe to pick up for me.
He was on all sorts of podcasts I listened to. I know how his voice sounds like. I read design docs by him. Sigh.

Why aren´t there more comments about him on Era? He should be pretty well known in the PC and RPG space. He is well known in Germany. GameStar.de tore him apart but the comment section had to be closed. Severe accusations indeed:
www.gamestar.de

Sexuelle Belästigung: Vorwürfe gegen RPG-Legende Chris Avellone

Chris Avellone erschuf Star Wars: Kotor 2, Planescape: Torment und andere RPG-Meisterwerke. Doch nun gibt es schwerwiegende Anschuldigungen.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Ending his silence by suing two people and ignoring the other allegations? Even if the incident mentioned in the new blog is untrue, this feels like attempting to sweep all the other allegations under the rug by picking away at the one they perceive to be the weakest claim.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Ending his silence by suing two people and ignoring the other allegations? Even if the incident mentioned in the new blog is untrue, this feels like attempting to sweep all the other allegations under the rug by picking away at the one they perceive to be the weakest claim.

There's also nothing there. He keeps repeating he has proof/receipts but he doesn't show any.

He says the initial allegations were posted on a weekend to hurt him more, and he does the same today.

This stinks.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
later in 2020, Karissa started deleting a large section of her past Twitter postings, almost 60,000+ tweets. She did this a short while after some of her older, questionable posts that contained conflicts with her original accusations were discovered in her timeline
damn

Status
Not open for further replies.