• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
"There's nothing they can't do, man," said the Captain America actor. "I'm sure it's going to have the exact same effect when Captain Marvel comes out and when the Black Widow movie comes out. Marvel just has the winning recipe, and they're kind of one step ahead of everybody else. I mean just looking at them, and I was just looking at things this morning about theseBlack Panther openings around the country this weekend and its gonna crush. Its gonna crush! Marvel knows what they're doing. They find great people. I just feel very humbled and lucky to be part of it."

Link

Will these movies about boring ass characters "crush" the box office like BP, era?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful, BP is way more badass and interesting than either of those 2. He stole the show in Civil War. Black Widow never stood out to me as the coolest character in any movie she was in.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Black Panther is a relatively boring character carried by a solid supporting cast. I don't see why they couldn't do the same with Captain Marvel and Black Widow.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Captain Marvel i agree. Black Widow, not even close.

Captain Marvel has too much content and, since i don't know anything about the movie, hope that they put the character in an cosmic context, similar to Guardian of The Galaxy, with cameos and references about both Kree and Skrulls (and maybe even The original Captain Marvel), and shit. But im guessing they are probably aren't gonna do anything and all the movie its gonna be on the earth.

Sasari

Oct 30, 2017
Captain Marvel and Black Widow are "boring ass characters"? I think they have a ton of potential. Natasha's dark past. Carol's military history not to mention the secret wars style hidden enemy of the Skulls.

Why do you think they're boring?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Chris seems like a great person all around, but I disagree with him on this. I don't think they would do the same numbers. Captain Marvel will probably do extremely well. Black Widow eh..

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
While they won't get BP numbers, there is no reason why they can't go to the box office and crush it

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Captain Marvel absolutely will be a huge hit. Black Widow? I think Marvel missed the boat on the BW movie by 5 years. Imagine if a BW movie came 8n 2012 or 2013?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah they could've if Wonder Woman didn't happen.

Black should've had a solo movie ages ago, she's an agent go do some mission impossible type movie.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Black Panther would have been considered one of those "boring ass characters not long ago," as would most of the MCU's star players. Guardians of the Galaxy was so obscure and unused even I had to look up what the hell it was when they announced that movie, and I've been reading comics since 1979. If there's one lesson to take from the MCU, it's that anything can work if presented properly.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I expect Captain Marvel to be a success but not Black Panther big. I don't expect Black Widow to set the box office world on fire.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Black Widow could be a really good spy film and Captain Marvel is a far more interesting character than Black Panther so i could easily see it being super successful. Hell, they made Guardians of the Galaxy profitable. A comic nobody outside comic book readers (and a lot of comic readers) profitable. A b-team series nobody gave a fuck about.

so we pitting women against black men now
Nobody said that. Those are the next round of non-sequel stand alone films.

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Captain Marvel i agree. Black Widow, not even close.

Captain Marvel has too much content and, since i don't know anything about the movie, hope that they put the character in an cosmic context, similar to Guardian of The Galaxy, with cameos and references about both Kree and Skrulls (and maybe even The original Captain Marvel), and shit. But im guessing they are probably aren't gonna do anything and all the movie its gonna be on the earth.
I believe shes facing off against the skrulls on there planet

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They will have some big release numbers, but I doubt they can reach BP figures. I would place them with an opening weekend between $80 - $150 million max to be honest.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing about what he says in the video that says he thinks Captain Marvel and Black Widow are going to be cultural phenomenons like Black Panther that will do +200mil in the opening weekend. Dude is just saying Marvel never misses and he's sure those movies will be good, too.

Sasari

Oct 30, 2017
I'm personally hoping Black Widow will be a passing the torch thing. Have Natasha find there are others from her class out there, has to try and turn them. Kill of Johanson at the end and give us a new character to get invested in.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Like others have echoed, the ship has sailed on that with Wonder Woman. It also doesn't help that Carol Danvers' comic counterpart is a thundering, relentlessly annoying bitch. Also, by the time a Widow movie would happen, the F4 and Mutants should be in full swing, and who honestly wants to see Black Widow over any of the major female mutants?

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
Black Widow could be a really good spy film and Captain Marvel is a far more interesting character than Black Panther so i could easily see it being super successful.

Nobody said that. Those are the next round of non-sequel stand alone films.
kinda obvious what the op is doing in context of those 2 films in comparison to bp

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think he is downplaying what BP achieved a bit lol...this won't be repeated anytime soon.

Then again you never know with the MCU. BP so far is unique. Wonder Woman in some ways already did what Captain Marvel and Black Widow are going for.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if they can do BP's success, but there's no reason they can't be big blockbusters.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The thing working against Black Widow is that there's already so many existing movies and television shows that have similar characters. Black Panther was incredibly different from anything out there, as is Captain Marvel. How are they going to differentiate it from something like Red Sparrow?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I doubt Captain Marvel will have similar quality, but seeing as how a Black Widow movie will presumably be a very grounded espionage thriller you can do some pretty solid stuff with that, sure.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Black Widow & Hawyeke combo movie could work, i believe. But not in the way they are represented in the MCU. Because they both sucks, and i like the Hawkeye of comics a lot.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a legitimate question will either of these movies have people donating and busing entire classes of children and church groups to go see the movie

OP
OP

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The thing working against Black Widow is that there's already so many existing movies and television shows that have similar characters. Black Panther was incredibly different from anything out there, as is Captain Marvel. How are they going to differentiate it from something like Red Sparrow?
Or even the iconic film Salt? Scarlett also doesn't have the ridiculous amount of talent necessary to pull of a solo spy film a la Jolie or Lawrence.

Oct 27, 2017
We just saw the third Thor movie (his fifth film appearance) make a huge amount of money. The idea that "the ship has sailed" on these movies because of Wonder Woman is absurd.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel is gonna make all the cash. Black Widow will be successful, but I'm not so sure just how much yet.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not going to count any Marvel movie out, but Black Panther's success isn't surprising. What was surprising (to us most blind fools) is just how huge it's turning out to be.

I don't think Captain Marvel is going to be a flop or anything, but Wonder Woman beat it to the punch in regards to having a the female centric blockbuster, just like Black Panther beat DC in having the black centric one.

Captain Marvel (and, well, Black Widow maybe) could surprise in other ways, but what BP is doing now is going to be hard to replicate again with what we already know is coming down the Marvel pipeline.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Chris seems like a great person all around, but I disagree with him on this. I don't think they would do the same numbers. Captain Marvel will probably do extremely well. Black Widow eh..

Such a weird thing to start a post with about disagreeing with someone regarding movies.

I definitely think Captain Marvel could do it. Wonder Woman numbers multiplied by the fact that it's Brie Larson, Sam Jackson, and MARVEL.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Black Widow would struggle, but why would/should Captain Marvel?
Captain Marvel likely has a much better chance than Black Widow due to her lack of involvement in the MCU thus far and fresher take a a super hero, though her doing Black Panther numbers would be quite the feat. Neither of those movies would flop, just probably not become the massive phenomenon pre-release ticket sale record breakers Marvel might want them to be.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The OP created this thread with the intent of simply telling people he doesn't like the characters and did it by linking to a clickbait site.

The video where Chris Evans says this was something Entertainment Tonight put up on the 17th -- the day the movie opened. Meaning it likely was filmed prior to that as well. He said this before we knew how massive of an opening it would be.

He was clearly just saying that both Captain Marvel and Black Widow can be hugely successful. He didn't say they will have a $240m opening weekend.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I could see Captain Marvel, but Black Widow...like, she never interested me in any of the movies she was in. She just seems like a generic cool spy character with tragic past, and her execution in the movies never really caught my attention.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Captain Marvel on International Woman's Day 2019 is going to be MASSIVE

i can't wait. MCU can't lose.

The OP created this thread with the intent of simply telling people he doesn't like the characters and did it by linking to a clickbait site.

The video where Chris Evans says this was something Entertainment Tonight put up on the 17th -- the day the movie opened. Meaning it likely was filmed prior to that as well. He said this before we knew how massive of an opening it would be.

He was clearly just saying that both Captain Marvel and Black Widow can be hugely successful. He didn't say they will have a $240m opening weekend.

i really admire how obsessed some kids are with hating on the MCU

imagine if they posted positively about the things they did enjoy instead

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like celebrities are literally taking thousands of kids who would never have gotten to see the movie before to go see it.

As much as I am rooting for both of these movies I just don't see them having that kind of cultural power and hype.

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
This is dumb for multiple reasons but the top of them is that you automatically assume that black women haven't come out for black panther in droves
okay, cream, i will entertain you in spite of past trangressions

im obviously referring to the leads and not the target demographic

Status
Not open for further replies.