• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well if you want to do what Chris Evans is attempting to do then you got to be able to sit down and talk to people you disagree with.
Lol. What is he attempting to do? Chris Evans' punk ass probably still doesn't understand why Black people took umbrage with his foolishness and chances are he doesn't care. There's nothing heroic or soul searching about reaching out to only fellow Whites you disagree with. None of that is character building.
Man seeing that shit was so disappointing. So many white "allies" were exposed on that day for tone-policing minorities once again.
Definitely. He's a permaclown lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the goal of the site was to show each person's claims for backing the platform they do alongside the evidence supporting their arguments. Naturally, the right will be made to look like the lying fools they are.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. What is he attempting to do? Chris Evans' punk ass probably still doesn't understand why Black people took umbrage with his foolishness and chances are he doesn't care. There's nothing heroic or soul searching about reaching out to only fellow Whites you disagree with. None of that is character building.

It's the responsibility of white people to educate bigoted white people.

I don't know the reference to him showing his arse, what's that about?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I thought the goal of the site was to show each person's claims for backing the platform they do alongside the evidence supporting their arguments. Naturally, the right will be made to look like the lying fools they are.
every circus needs a clown

when there's noone around

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I think it is important to talk to people you're disagreeing with. If even 5% of them change some of their views, it was worth it.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of the site is flawed from the beginning.

Can't wait for them to tackle lgbtq issues or climate change and try to both side those.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is important to talk to people you're disagreeing with. If even 5% of them change some of their views, it was worth it.
It does... but online is a terrible forum for the discussion, and giving a platform to certain opinions will almost certainly only help perpetuate them.

I have no faith that this site will succeed, and I believe it will do harm.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He's been working on this site for a while now. I remember a thread here (or maybe the other place?) Where a stink was raised cause people felt like Evans was "both sides"ing.
Personally I feel it's a noble endeavor to at least try to present the major platforms and ideas of both parties so people can have a place to refer to begin, as it says on the tin; A starting place.

The thing is he going to talk about the platform the GOP tries to put forward about family, small government and all that BS or is he actually going to confront them on their real platform of bigotry, intolerance, rolling the clock on any kind of progressive reform and so on. Like its all well and good to try and present the points of both sides but lets hope that they're the real points and not the gas lighting BS that the GOP is so well known for.

Edit: As to the pic in the OP I don't much care. I'm not expecting Evans to be a dick to a young fan.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
giphy.gif
What the hell is going on?? I need context.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a picture. She's not responsible for his policies. Imagine a scenario where Ted Cruz asks for a picture for his daughter and Cap said no.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this in opposition to everything Chris claims to stand for on social media?

you can talk and be friend with people with whom you don't share political ideas, its ok it's suppose to be that way in democracy, I know lately the political speech have been quite divisive but it's not suppose to be that way

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone actually sat down with a republican and talked about a topic with facts and arguments, and actually made him/her change their mind in a permanent way?

I know i've tried, and in my experience is worthless. These are people that don't work in science terms.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
OK kids, now I'll tell you the secrets we share among adults: sometimes you gotta work with people you disagree deeply with for a common goal.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this in opposition to everything Chris claims to stand for on social media?
When did he start claiming he's a Ted Cruz supporter or that he would never be in the same room as him?

A lot of naïveté in this thread because you guys like Captain America movies. What will the excuses be when the site launches and it's exactly as worthless as it seems it's going to be?
That he tried and failed? I don't see what the big deal is. Is he suddenly a right wing apologist/supporter??

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Has anyone actually sat down with a republican and talked about a topic with facts and arguments, and actually made him/her change their mind in a permanent way?

I know i've tried, and in my experience is worthless. These are people that don't work in science terms.
Personal anecdote but I have with one friend back in 2013, though my methods involved more showing the effects certain things had on people/the environment that he was shockingly ignorant of and left him slightly traumatized. He's changed completely since those times. Mostly his parents teachings really fucked him up, but he's at odds with them now when it comes to political/environmental issues.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Some views should not be given a platform at all. Many right wing views are regressive and actively harmful.

And what about of the paradox of not bringing this plataforms out in the open and having closeted fascists all around waiting for their perfect candidate? Which they finally had with Trump.

And Ted doesn't have from what I can recall views out of the tolerable range, yeah he's a right winger I don't share their ideas and don't like them but I won't actively ask to silence him.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And what about of the paradox of not bringing this plataforms out in the open and having closeted fascists all around waiting for their perfect candidate? Which they finally had with Trump.

That's not a paradox. I don't know what point you're trying to make here that counters the one I did?

Have you ever tried talking to a deep seeded racist/bigot/far-right person with facts and citations in a diplomatic way? How do you think this site will handle that any better?

And Ted doesn't have from what I can recall views out of the tolerable range, yeah he's a right winger I don't share their ideas and don't like them but I won't actively ask to silence him.

I was responding to your post that was making a generalization based off of this specific situation.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're never ever going to convince a right wing person to change their minds during a conversation just by presenting facts and arguments.

AOC talked about this a while back. It was not to make the person she was talking to change their minds there and then. Her approach was basically to just try and tell them how she viewed things and then move on. Maybe some of the people will think about what she told them, and maybe some of those that thought about what she told them will change their minds a bit on some things.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Ted Cruz is a shitty person, unfortunately he is also a Senator for Texas. Which mean he holds power and has a measurable influence on the US. He already has a giant platform for his awful views.

Texas was close to getting rid of his ass, but he still currently is affecting the way the country operates. That means for certain things in this country to get done, his vote might be necessary. So while you can't try to court his vote for certain issues, there may be some that actually help all of Americans. It's a good idea to try to figure those out. Which means actually talking to the guy. The other option is doing nothing and hoping he loses his elections. That's a years long strategy that looks unlikely to pay off. Maybe we can just distract him long enough that he does one less hurtful thing. Boy what a shitty reality we live in.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Ted Cruz is irredeemable, so I'm not sure what Chris hopes to accomplish here besides soften a shitbag's image to the millions of Marvel fans. I really hate this "let's meet in the middle and discuss our issues" because these people have no integrity and will absolutely not act in good faith toward pragmatism

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
He's starting a political website and is interviewing a bunch of people from various parties.
Related:

Caught up with @ChrisEvans and @MarkKassen this morning on the upcoming launch of #AStartingPoint, their new civic engagement project to help folks stay informed and break down hot-button issues. I'm glad to work with Captain America on this important, bipartisan mission.

I don't think we know the content of the interview, and he's ostensibly posing with a child fan...
I mean, the girl wanting to meet him has nothing to do with Ted Cruz's political views
Lol you make it sound like they went up and whispered hail hydra to each other.
He LOVED the Botham hug.
you can talk and be friend with people with whom you don't share political ideas, its ok it's suppose to be that way in democracy, I know lately the political speech have been quite divisive but it's not suppose to be that way
When did he start claiming he's a Ted Cruz supporter or that he would never be in the same room as him?

That he tried and failed? I don't see what the big deal is. Is he suddenly a right wing apologist/supporter??
There's zero reason to give Ted Cruz any platform or opportunity to present a humanized or likable PR moment. His daughter is not the issue. Chris doesn't have to be saying he's a supporter of a monster like Ted Cruz to be making a poor choice in giving him cutesy celeb parental bonding pics. It's like Jimmy Fallon deciding to be cute with Trump on his show during the campaign after already knowing he was a racist and misogynistic bigot. No need to play cute games for their followers to Like on Facebook.

And there's zero wrong with those here who are skeptical that Chris is going to do any justice to the kind of discussions and takedowns that should be done with Republicans.

Oct 25, 2017
We say that white progressives need to talk sense into white regressives because that burden shouldn't always fall to minorities, and then when we see a white progressive possibly trying to do that, we immediately suspect that they're up to no good?

Seems legit.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
We say that white progressives need to talk sense into white regressives because that burden shouldn't always fall to minorities, and then when we see a white progressive possibly trying to do that, we immediately suspect that they're up to no good?

Seems legit.
Talking to someone doesn't mean let them post social media humanizing PR with you on their profiles

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The ONLY way I've ever got through to a right-wing bigot is to spend an exorbitant amount of time asking THEM questions and talking about THEIR fears and managing to get them to relate to me as an LGBT person... and finally seeing how certain opinions can harm me, which allowed them to see me as a person, like them, and have some empathy.

And that took A LOT of effort, for me to actually spend time coddling a bigot who was doing nothing but spew hate at me. It took hours, of non-stop, incredibly careful discussion where I had to tip-toe around being too critical of their hate while stomaching a constant barrage of bile.

And that was on a SINGLE point.

And that was the ONLY way it worked. Using facts and citations ALWAYS gets called fake news now. The only time you can use logic, citations, and facts is on centrists playing "both sides", and you sure better be fucking air tight so they can't find a SINGLE fucking point to cling to to discredit your entire argument.

People ITT saying "we need to talk" are ignoring the fact WE HAVE TRIED THIS. We didn't go from 0 to "DEPLATFORM" in an instant, we tried... our parents tried... their parents tried... individuals try until they just can't try any more because it becomes clear you cannot educate a person out of their hate on an individual levle unless you give your entire fucking soul to every single point that is raised... and how does a human being, especially a minority under the constant barrage of hate, have the capacity for that in any reasonable way?

-

www.aceshowbiz.com

Chris Evans Slammed for Praising Botham Jean's Brother for Forgiving and Hugging Amber Guyger

Brandt Jean himself has been criticized by a lot of people for forgiving the white cop who killed his 26-year-old brother in his own apartment in early last month.

And this is the point black folk were raising earlier, and I fully understand why.

We're all human yes, and all hate comes from a broken place, but at a certain point the hate we spew is our responsibility and it should be met with condemnation UNTIL that person has PROVEN change...not because they're crying as justice is served. And even then, why should the victims ever consider doing this?

Chris might have good intentions at heart, but what he's doing is coming from a position of privilege that doesn't grasp just how dangerous many of these "opinions" and views are because he has not lived through the harm they cause. He will never feel that, he will never truly understand it, and his calls for conversation feel patronizing and blind to how giving a platform to certain ideals perpetuate real harm.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Yeah I'm sure some c-tier Hollywood actor is going to change republican mindset.
Also I'm sure Ted Cruz already sit down for dinner or whatever everyday with people He disagree with

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I feel it's a noble endeavor to at least try to present the major platforms and ideas of both parties so people can have a place to refer to begin, as it says on the tin; A starting place.
I think it's noble and misguided. The two sides that America has decided to allow representation (far right and center) are not the two sides that we should be conditioned to take for granted as the default and legitimate available world views.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's noble and misguided. The two sides that America has decided to allow representation (far right and center) are not the two sides that we take for granted as default available world views.
Fact. Anything that calls for real, progressive, lasting change is labelled as extremism while the centre and the right take the main stage.