• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe it has been that long already
chris-farley-2.jpg

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The toy car bit in Tommy Boy is still one of the funniest things ever

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I unexpectedly saw the pictures of his corpse the other day which I didn't know existed. Really wish I hadn't seen them.

Just continues to blow my mind that my wife works as a mortician every day.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still remember his final interview with Conan a few weeks before he died. Dude was just a sweaty, disheveled mess of a man. The signs were there, but no one was able to act on them.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RIP

He would have been perfect for either a Rob Ford or Donald Trump biopic.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I sometimes think about how his career would've panned out if this didn't occur. Dude had every quality of a great comedian.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I read his biography written by his brother a few years back, his death still hits me the hardest of all the celebrity deaths.

Oct 25, 2017
I loved him as a fan of my childhood, my parent was literally sent me a sad news about him and I was cried like a baby. He would be 53 if he was alive today.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Christ I was only 10? I feel like he was a major part of most of my life. I've seen Tommy Boy, Black Sheep and all the other films he appeared like Airheads, Coneheads, Wayne's World, etc a thousand times it feels like, not to mention watching every episode of SNL he was a part of probably a dozen times each thanks to Comedy Central rerunning them 24/7 for years.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I sometimes think about how his career would've panned out if this didn't occur. Dude had every quality of a great comedian.

Not sure if true but I read a rumor years ago on AICN (so grain of salt) that he was in talks to do a possible film about the life of silent film era comedian Fatty Arbuckle at some point before he died. There was a special on A&E years ago that quoted him as saying he didn't like Beverly Hills Ninja because it made him feel 'fat and disgusting.' :( He was desperate to do more serious roles at some point so the Fatty Arbuckle rumor could be true.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if true but I read a rumor years ago on AICN (so grain of salt) that he was in talks to do a possible film about the life of comedian Fatty Arbuckle at some point before he died. There was a special on A&E years ago that quoted him as saying he didn't like Beverly Hills Ninja because it made him feel 'fat and disgusting.' :( He was desperate to do more serious roles at some point so the Fatty Arbuckle rumor could be true.

He was also the original voice of Shrek but the movie was far different when he was involved to what we eventually got with Mike Myers.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It has been 20 years?!? He died when I was 9 years old. His movies were a cornerstone of my childhood movie experience. His death was way to soon and he could have easily been still a funny comedian today.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This is one case where it feels that long if not longer, I'm not sure why. I was pretty young when he died, but have grown to appreciate him more as I've gotten older.

Rest in peace, sir.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I was 9. I found out he died in the Hancock building a few hours before I was supposed to perform in with my class in the annual Christmas pageant. I think I was the first to hear about it. Man, we loved watching him in Tommy Boy an Black Sheep growing up.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I caught this live back in the day, and it's still IMO one of the greatest sketch comedy bits of all time.

20 years though? Hard to believe. RIP to the fat man in a little coat.

Not everyone knows that the Matt Foley sketches were written by Bob Odenkirk of Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, and Mr. Show fame.

WOhWrEc_d.jpg

Bob actually played Matt Foley in Chicago before Farley did, and has referenced how seeing how Farley elevated the character made him consider doing something other than comedy, because Farley was so insanely good in the role.

I recommend reading The Chris Farley Show to anyone who's interested in his life. Lots of funny stories in there. It's a real shame that we lost him so early. It still feels so fresh and preventable to me.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The source of the leaked picture is the escord he had hired. He was dying on the floor, unable to move, and she came back, stole his watch and laughed, took a picture of him and ran off. She bragged and laughed to her friends the day after that, the last thing he said to her was "Don't leave me alone, please" . She tried to shop around the pictures to tabloids.

Last edited:

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
The source of the leaked picture is the escord he had hired. He was dying on the floor, unable to move, and she came back, stole his watch and laughed, took a picture of him and ran off. She bragged and laughed to her friends the day after that the last thing he said to her was "Don't leave me alone, please" . She tried to shop around the pictures to tabloids.
Jesus, that's horrible. If I ever knew that, I blocked it out.

Got a mirror or such for this? Can't be viewed outside US/Canada it seems.

Nothing yet, at least nothing worth posting. There's a lot of truncated clips and "Best Of" lists with narration over the dialogue (what's the bloody point of that?) but seems like the full sketch isn't available outside of the official channel.

It's the first Matt Foley Motivational Speaker sketch from the 90's -- Living in a VAN down by the RIVER. If you've got a youtube alternative available it might be there instead.

Edit: The documentary "I Am Chris Farley" is also worth watching if you can find it.

Oct 25, 2017
Such a damn shame, I remember being floored when I heard the news at the time. I hated reading later on that he was so lonely all the time, and always felt the need to be "on" to make up for his weight and not being happy with himself. He was very similar to John Candy in that regard, they both felt very sad and very lonely when the cameras were off. When they weren't being the "funny fat guy" they didn't feel like anyone wanted them around.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such a damn shame, I remember being floored when I heard the news at the time. I hated reading later on that he was so lonely all the time, and always felt the need to be "on" to make up for his weight and not being happy with himself. He was very similar to John Candy in that regard, they both felt very sad and very lonely when the cameras were off. When they weren't being the "funny fat guy" they didn't feel like anyone wanted them around.

This is a lot of comedians. They use humor to make everyone around them happy while they themselves are miserable but never show that side if themselves.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Jay Mohr's book, Gasping for Airtime has some funny/crazy stories about Farley. He would probably not have done well in the #metoo era.