• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
There's people in Beyond who def have some controversy around their history for one reason or another, but the company is at least independent. There's also 321 Wrestling from the west coast that is on the same level of fun.

Bottom line is no company in wrestling, from a major perspective, is perfectively fine. Even some of the Joshi promotions in japan do sus shit (they sell photo books of their women). It's a matter of deciding which is one you're willing to look past their problems and enjoy.

I totally get that. I dont expect everything I do or enjoy will be free of controversy, political or not. Everyone has different breaking points.

Its fine if Chris is a republican or "non partisan", he can believe what he wants, and I would gladly keep watching AEW knowing that. But to bring on trumps son to promote his bullshit political book is a step too far for me.

Nov 2, 2017
Also, why is it every time one of these non-partisan, centrist dickbags brags about how non-partisan and centrist they are, they're only ever interacting with the worst of the right wing?

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I thought we knew this already?

Could've sworn it was already out there that Jericho is a crazy conspiracy theory guy who has extremely questionable guests on his podcast.

It only makes sense that he'd be one of these types.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guy can claim to be "non-partisan" and support Andrew Yang all he wants, but to even entertain the thoughts of one of the Trumps is a significant low.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Guy can claim to be "non-partisan" and support Andrew Yang all he wants, but to even entertain the thoughts of one of the Trumps is a significant low.

"Im non partisan" he says as he lets the president's shit bag son come on to promote his highly political propaganda filled book. Give me a fucking break.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling this too

damn I hate 2016-now

As I said, for US based weekly programming there is Beyond Wrestling on IWTV, or you can try something like 321 Wrestling on Twitch. GCW is probably the best promotion running right now but it's def not everyones cup of tea

There's CMLL and AAA in Mexico which also broadcast on Twitch

DDT/TJPW run weekly-ish shows but it's Japan based and can be hard to fit into peoples schedules

Riptide in the UK is doing some pretty cool stuff production wise and is a lot of fun

Oct 25, 2017
For real y'all, it's never been a better time to be a fan of wrestling as there is just SO much out there for anyone to get into. It's just a matter of what you're looking for

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
As I said, for US based weekly programming there is Beyond Wrestling on IWTV, or you can try something like 321 Wrestling on Twitch. GCW is probably the best promotion running right now but it's def not everyones cup of tea

There's CMLL and AAA in Mexico which also broadcast on Twitch

DDT/TJPW run weekly-ish shows but it's Japan based and can be hard to fit into peoples schedules

Riptide in the UK is doing some pretty cool stuff production wise and is a lot of fun

All depends on where you draw your own personal lines.

I'm sure you could look at any of these promotions and find some awful people holding awful view points.

It just comes down to where you draw the line for yourself when it comes to this stuff.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I'll save my opinion for after I listen to the podcast. Maybe Jericho will call Trump JR out on his lies.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017

I'm sure you could look at any of these promotions and find some awful people holding awful view points.

It just comes down to where you draw the line for yourself when it comes to this stuff.

Exactly. I dont blame anyone for not letting this affect them. But for me, seeing that picture with him and jr broke my brain enough to say nope.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested to see the audience reaction to this on the next episode. This is the kind of thing that nets you "go away" heat.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
I mean some of you guys do know that aew is own by like a big Trump supporter right?

Not fair to describe Shad Khan as a big Trump supporter. He's been pointedly critical of Trump in the press. Called him "the great divider."

He did give money to his inauguration though, which a lot of rich business-people do to any administration as a way to make nice. Icky but not uncommon.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to hate wrestling promotions for being a majority right-wing, then you might as well just hate wrestling period.

Even New Japan is based in a primarily right-wing country.
Yep.

Its everywhere, if you got to watch wrestling, you got to pick and choose which ones are too much for you and which ones you're willing to tolerate.

At this point WWE is waaaaaaay over my tolerance limit.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
There's people in Beyond who def have some controversy around their history for one reason or another, but the company is at least independent. There's also 321 Wrestling from the west coast that is on the same level of fun.

Bottom line is no company in wrestling, from a major perspective, is perfectively fine. Even some of the Joshi promotions in japan do sus shit (they sell photo books of their women). It's a matter of deciding which is one you're willing to look past their problems and enjoy.

321 Battle and Pro Wrestling Eve are both great and not run by anyone gross.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not fair to describe Shad Khan as a big Trump supporter. He's been pointedly critical of Trump in the press. Called him "the great divider."

He did give money to his inauguration though, which a lot of rich business-people do to any administration as a way to make nice. Icky but not uncommon.
The man gave Donald Trump a $1000000 donation. You can talk the talk all day but action speak louder than words and his actions show what he is truly all about. Not to mention stuff like this

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Expecting wrestlers to be woke and being disappointed... you guys crack me up!
AEW basically marketed itself as the woke wrestling company/opposite of WWE by making a big deal about representation, having LGBTQ performers, women's/Joshi wrestlers, calling out WWE blood money deal with Saudi Arabia, giving proceeds from one of its PPV's to gun violence victims, pushing a transgender wrestler, promoting workers rights when it comes to wrestlers via healthcare/time off, etc., etc., etc. Having their biggest current star chumming it up with Trump Jr. is giving a platform to someone who embodies the complete opposite of everything they are supposedly trying to promote and is actively giving a platform to a white Nationalist sympathizer and supporter. It's a slap in the face to their fans and anyone with common sense decency. You can't hide behind a "but I'm a centrist" bullshit defense either. You are either for or against common sense decency. There is no middle ground or grey area when dealing with fascists, white Nationalists, or Nazi sympathizers. You are either for or against them.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

Its everywhere, if you got to watch wrestling, you got to pick and choose which ones are too much for you and which ones you're willing to tolerate.

At this point WWE is waaaaaaay over my tolerance limit.

Like we've all said, there are lines for each of us.

For me, the line with WWE wasn't just that the top brass are cozy with Trump or that it has ties to Saudi or that some of the performers are bad people. I'm used to that when it comes to film and TV etc. As a person of color, every single thing I consume is ultimately tied to something extremely awful, so I'm used to having to pick and choose where my limits are.

For WWE, it's the fact that on top of that, the stories the show tells are often extremely racist and sexist on top of all the stuff I listed above.

All of this comes together to form a product I don't want to support on any level. No part of the show is untouched by the fundamental belief system of the people at top.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington

EVE.png

Give it a shot.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
AEW basically marketed itself as the woke wrestling company/opposite of WWE by making a big deal about representation, having LGBTQ performers, women's/Joshi wrestlers, calling out WWE blood money deal with Saudi Arabia, giving proceeds from one of its PPV's to gun violence victims, pushing a transgender wrestler, promoting workers rights when it comes to wrestlers via healthcare/time off, etc., etc., etc. Having their biggest current star chumming it up with Trump Jr. is giving a platform to someone who embodies the complete opposite of everything they are supposedly trying to promote and is actively giving a platform to a white Nationalist sympathizer and supporter. It's a slap in the face to their fans and anyone with common sense decency. You can't hide behind a "but I'm a centrist" bullshit defense either. You are either for or against common sense decency. There is no middle ground or grey area when dealing with fascists, white Nationalists, or Nazi sympathizers. You are either for or against them.

AEW are operating within an industry that has been overwhelmingly filled with carnie chuds for decades, and which operates on a "bootstraps" mentality. And is financed by a billionaire with a class interest in allying with fascists. Anything "woke" they do, even if well-intentioned, is ultimately spectacle.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I dislike this comment because I think we should expect anyone to not support nazis and be disappointed when they do, it doesn't matter who they are. Your comment kind of puts a level of blame on people who just want others to be decent. I worked in wrestling for years, and there is a lot of dumb shit in that culture, but without speaking up it's never going to change.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

I tried not to take this post personally, but as someone who tries to go to bat for progressive views and movements as much as I can and as a wrestler myself, I struggle to find any justification for this post other than you having an ignorant or otherwise narrow view of what kind of people enjoy/want to be wrestlers. I've been in locker rooms with all kinds of people, from nobodies up to hall of famers and current roster members of both major US companies, and while it is obviously anecdotal, my experience has not given me the same stunted viewpoint that you're offering up. The viewpoints have been as diverse as any other workplace I've been in. Again, anecdotal, but the kind of social views and bigotry typically ascribed to the right are nowhere near as common as people think within the space.

And for the record yes, I DO expect my locker room colleagues to not be pieces of shit, and yes, I have been vocal to them when they are.

I dislike this comment because I think we should expect anyone to not support nazis and be disappointed when they do, it doesn't matter who they are. Your comment kind of puts a level of blame on people who just want others to be decent.

This, too. The onus is on the person to be a good person, it should not be laughable to expect those from all walks of life to attempt to be good people.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
You know who doesn't host Trumps on podcasts?

THE ACE HIROSHI TANAHASHI JANUARY 5TH AT THE TOKYO DOME