• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Link:
During the presidential debate in South Carolina on Tuesday, Sen. Elizabeth Warren used some of her speaking time to remind voters that former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg allegedly once told a pregnant employee of his to "kill it"—"it" as in the fetus. Longtime MSNBC host Chris Matthews was, by all indications, appalled by what he heard. But it wasn't the part about Bloomberg's alleged discrimination that seemed to disgust him—it was that Warren was making such a fuss about how she believed the woman was telling the truth.
When Warren joined Matthews live after the debate, he directed the conversation toward Warren's comments about Bloomberg's alleged discrimination and essentially asked her the same question over and over. He let her answer only to then ask it again in different words: "Do you believe that the former mayor of New York said that to a pregnant employee?"; "You believe he's that kind of person who did that?"; "You believe he's lying?"; "You're confident of your accusation?"
When Warren shot back at Matthews with statements like "Pregnancy discrimination is real," he responded with phrases like "Sure, I agree that …" and "Yeah, I know," but you've got to wonder: Does he know? This dynamic was perhaps most striking when Matthews asked, "And why would he lie?," referring to Bloomberg. Matthews quickly went on to answer his own question: "Just to protect himself?"

How is he constantly this dumb? Why is he still on the air?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
He continues to be scum, though he has hit another gear of awfulness this election cycle.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Has he always been like this? I feel like a handful of years ago Matthews was someone we'd be applauding for some of his takes but god damn he's lost the plot.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Chris Matthews is a fucking clown and NBC should be ashamed to employ him.

"People just don't LIE! Everyone here is a paragon of virtue!"

Get fucked, he should be booed off stage forever.

I know people dislike Chris Mathews here but It's called playing "devil's advocate", something reporters commonly do. He does this a lot.

That's a REALLY shitty way to play devil's advocate. He's trying to get Warren to say, on TV "Bloomberg is a liar". She's already said he's a liar in slightly different words, but he wants that soundbite.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
stuff like this not only happens, but has been under reported if anything

people are worried about their jobs, and not only that, they are worried that their names might be dragged through the dirt for making a scene/making a stand, making it impossible for them to get hired in a similar field

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Has he always been like this? I feel like a handful of years ago Matthews was someone we'd be applauding for some of his takes but god damn he's lost the plot.
I don't recall him being this bad before, but I've never watched him regularly. My exposure to him has largely been catered through people posting clips in a few forums. I just can't bring myself to sit through a full episode of any political punditry show.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
It sure doesn't come off that way to me at all.
As I said earlier he's always been this way. I've been following his career for 30+ years, not saying it's right or wrong, this is just his style. Probably seems out of touch and tone deaf (and I'd agree).

I never said he was a journalist, he just has a style like the older journalists, considers himself a centrist and built his career around criticizing liberals. This is pretty mild for him.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Chris Matthews has always been boisterous and a dick, but the last couple years he's become kind of a toxic asshole. He should have retired years ago, he's trying to be some kind of John McLaughlin type character.

snl McLaughlin for fun

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
An old white male lying to save his own skin?

giphy.gif

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Chris Matthews knew what he was doing. Warren handled that question miserably though. "Believe women" is a great mindset, but by just saying she believes the accuser she's not cutting down Matthews he-said-she-said bullshit. She should've pointed out that there was an actual witness besides the accuser.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Chris Matthews has always been boisterous and a dick, but the last couple years he's become kind of a toxic asshole. He should have retired years ago, he's trying to be some kind of John McLaughlin type character.

snl McLaughlin for fun

He'll disagree with anyone who he considers liberal just to disagree. It's a tiring interviewing style.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Matthews the one whose promo is all grandstanding about "when are we going to stop all the mudslinging and get on with governing?"

Hypocrite.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Does this guy ever stop being an insufferable, moronic dipshit?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It feels like Chris Matthews could end up being fired or quit from MSNBC any day and end up at Fox News, ala Lou Dobbs when he left CNN for good.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know people dislike Chris Mathews here but It's called playing "devil's advocate", something reporters commonly do. He does this a lot.

Nah you can't even go for that line of defense since Matthews genuinely believes Bernie is lying and that he will execute people in central park. He even explicitly told Michael Moore such when Michael promised that he wouldn't be sent to a guillotine

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get this turd off the air. The brownshirt bullshit should have been enough to get rid of him. And take fucking Carville with you.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Warren recently just lie that Bernie told her a woman couldn't be president? "Why would she lie? Just to protect herself?"

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Just retire you dipshit. I can't believe this man gets paid millions of dollars to talk to people, and is so bad at it.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
"Just to protect himself?"

You mean the main motivation for lying that all humans have, and have always had for as long as we have walked and talked? Yeah, that, probably. Let's go with that, Chris.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

how do you know she didn't. It was a he said/she said argument between her and Bernie and she was willing to die on that hill and we will never know (most likely it was interpreted differently between both parties). Different story. At least use her native ancestry gaffe

Considering Bloomberg's gaffes, are you willing to die on the hill that Warren arbitrarily is lying about a guy who's lied already? Im still laughing at his, "stop and frisk was wrong" when he went to the bat for it for DECADES up until..he decided to run this year. You believe that shit?

There's other documented acts of him being a dick, but Warren might be the liar here