• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Was quite surprised by this, I wonder what else he will be involved with

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
We are one step closer to a minions x mario x rabbids crossover of our dreams.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Still don't know what this is exactly supposed to mean for Nintendo in the future, but it seems huge.

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
Basically means he'll be on the board of directors but not a Nintendo employee. It's not uncommon, but I think he'll be the only outside Director for Nintendo?

That's quite interesting. It does mean that they really trusted him to make him part of the directors. Hopefully this means good results for the mario movie.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Basically means he'll be on the board of directors but not a Nintendo employee. It's not uncommon, but I think he'll be the only outside Director for Nintendo?

There are currently three other Outside Directors, so he'll be the fourth. Notably though he is the first non-Japanese one, I think.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Illumination Xenoblade

E0iu7WqUcAEPpwO

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
What does outside director mean in terms of the company?

He will be there in the board of directors meetings (maybe twice a year) where top strategic decisions are discussed. It's not uncommon for big companies to have an external view.

As far as Nintendo goes, I can only think of Howard Lincoln and Reggie Fils-Aime being the only previous non-japanese members of the board.
I also think I remember non-Nintendo employees entering the board of director is a fairly new thing for Nintendo. Like just when Shuntaro became president.
If people can confirm I'm not sure of all of this.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm guessing Illumination is giving that Nintendo movie their all. Which is great to see since the current feelings on them in the animation community is that they're pretty soulless/safe when it comes to their current works barring the first despicable me.

Should make for a nice redemption arc going forward in that aspect

OP
OP
Oregano

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I looked up their other outside Directors out of interest and it looks like they have

Asa Shinkawa - legal counsel
www.nishimura.com

Asa SHINKAWA | People | Nishimura & Asahi

Asa SHINKAWA's profile, representative work, awards, N&A newsletters, seminars, publications, news, education and professional experience.

Katuhiro Umeyama - accountant/auditor
gb.wallmine.com

Katsuhiro Umeyama Net Worth (2024) – wallmine.com

Katsuhiro Umeyama has been serving as Independent Director in Nintendo Co., Ltd. since June 2016. He is also a member of Audit Committee of the Company. He i...

Masao Yamazaki - accountant/auditor
gb.wallmine.com

Masao Yamazaki Net Worth (2024) – wallmine.com

Masao Yamazaki has been serving as Independent Director in Nintendo Co., Ltd. since June 28, 2018. He is also a member of the Audit Committee of the Company....

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess they're definitely going to be doing more than just the one movie.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Illumination is giving that Nintendo movie their all. Which is great to see since the current feelings on them in the animation community is that they're pretty soulless/safe when it comes to their current works barring the first despicable me.

Should make for a nice redemption arc going forward in that aspect
Illumination pulling a "Into the Spider-verse" equivalent with the Mario movie after a long run of "Emoji Movie"-tier entertainment would sure be something.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Beyond movies or tv series, a company like illumination could help with all the cg work and cutscenes you find in games, they have the tools, talent and software to help.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They must really like what Illumination is doing.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond movies or tv series, a company like illumination could help with all the cg work and cutscenes you find in games, they have the tools, talent and software to help.
What makes you think Nintendo doesnt have access to resources and know-how these things ? Its just not something they are too interested in otherwise it would be in more of their games ala Smash Bros.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Massive vote of confidence. I guess the next Nintendo movie will be by them as well

Comcast is gonna spend big on tbis

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
What makes you think Nintendo doesnt have access to resources and know-how these things ? Its just not something they are too interested in otherwise it would be in more of their games ala Smash Bros.
Of course they have the ressources, but if illumination has already all the characters modelized, rigged and animated for the movie, it's may be a substantial gain of time and ressources to ask them to do some CG's for the next Mario Party; instead of making another company re-do all the work from scratch or doing it in-house.

They already use many partners to do modelling and animation on all their games. I think a close partnership would be beneficial for both Nintendo and illumination.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they have the ressources, but if illumination has already all the characters modelized, rigged and animated for the movie, it's may be a substantial gain of time and ressources to ask them to do some CG's for the next Mario Party; instead of making another company re-do all the work from scratch or doing it in-house.

They already use many partners to do modelling and animation on all their games. I think a close partnership would be beneficial for both Nintendo and illumination.
There are plenty of cheaper studios who do the same work and already work with Nintendo - again the main point is that these things arent missing from Nintendo games because they cant afford them or dont know how to produce them...its just a lack of interest otherwise these things would be in the game.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017

In most of their games they don't use any pre rendered cgi anymore. And I'm sure they already have high res. models of every character. Also art style in every game always differs a bit from each other. You can't just use the same models for every scenario.

But what I see that the movie could help redefining the characters by giving them more depth with showing more emotions or better animation quality (which isn't exactly Nintendo's strength). Also it could do much on how a more story-driven game could work and expanding the worldbuilding of the mushroom kingdom. If the movie is a success, it could inspire Nintendo in their future games, which could in the best case even revolutionize their approach to their IPs.

Last edited:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I generally dislike Illumination's output, but with Nintendo believing in them to this extent and working closely to develop movies that are at the very least respectful to the franchises they adapt I'm on board to see what they deliver.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Illumination never did anything great with the Dr. Suess license, I'm still not expecting anything from them with Mario.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
...They don't want to wait for the movie to actually come out and see the audience reaction? Seems like a premature decision imo, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I fully believe that the Super Mario film has the potential to be the highest grossing film of all time. Everybody and their mother is going to see it.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely zero faith in what Illumination does. They have admitted that all they do is make kids movies as cheap as possible as quickly as possible, quality be damned.

No thanks.