• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not Christian so I wouldn't be able to say, but is it normal for a 'non-religious' person, especially an adult, to still attend church? Anyway, his words below.

Chris Pratt is seeking to change some widespread perceptions about his religious views.

The Jurassic World trilogy star told Men's Health in a new cover story that he's not nearly as religious as people think ("spiritual" might be a more accurate word based on his description, though he doesn't use it). Pratt also strongly criticized organized religion for its history of well-documented sins.

"Religion has been oppressive as fuck for a long time,"
he said. "I didn't know that I would kind of become the face of religion when really I'm not a religious person. I think there's a distinction between being religious — adhering to the customs created by man, oftentimes appropriating the awe reserved for who I believe is a very real God — and using it to control people, to take money from people, to abuse children, to steal land, to justify hatred. Whatever it is. The evil that's in the heart of every single man has glommed onto the back of religion and come along for the ride."

Pratt was also asked about reports that he attended Hillsong Church, which has its own long line of controversies.

"I never went to Hillsong," he said. "I've never actually been to Hillsong. I don't know anyone from that church."

The 43-year-old actor's public association with religion seemed to stem from one of his "nine rules" that he cited when accepting an award in 2018 at the MTV Movie & TV Awards. "God is real," he said. "God loves you, God wants the best for you. Believe that; I do."

Pratt told Men's Health: "Maybe it was hubris for me to stand up on the stage and say the things that I said. I'm not sure I touched anybody."

The subsequent backlash against Pratt made headlines in 2019 when actor Elliot Page slammed Pratt for attending a "infamously anti-LGBTQ" church, and then added on Twitter: "If you are a famous actor and you belong to an organization that hates a certain group of people, don't be surprised if someone simply wonders why it's not addressed. Being anti LGBTQ is wrong, there aren't two sides. The damage it causes is severe. Full stop. Sending love to all."

Pratt countered at the time that Page's comments "could not be further from the truth" and said he attends a church "that opens their doors to absolutely everyone."

Pratt confirmed to Men's Health writer Mickey Rapkin that he attends Zoe Church in Los Angeles, though not exclusively; outlets have vaguely described the church as a "Hillsong affiliate" or "Hillsong-adjacent."

The actor also noted he wept after getting backlash for praising his wife Katherine Schwarzenegger for giving birth to a "healthy" girl. "A bunch of articles came out and said, 'That's so cringeworthy. I can't believe Chris Pratt would thank her for a healthy daughter when his first child was born premature. That's such a dig at his ex-wife,'" he said. "And I'm like, That is fucked up. My son's gonna read that one day. He's nine. And it's etched in digital stone. It really fucking bothered me, dude. I cried about it. I was like, I hate that these blessings in my life are—to the people close to me—a real burden."

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Chris Pratt Clarifies Views: “I’m Not a Religious Person”

"Religion has been oppressive as f*** for a long time," Pratt says, and denies ever attending Hillsong Church.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think him being religious is the problem people should have with Chris Pratt.

junkee.com

Junk Explained: Why Does Everyone Think Chris Pratt Is The Worst Chris In Hollywood?

Chris Pratt IS the worst Chris in Hollywood and that's not up for debate.

www.youtube.com

Chris Pratt gets NAKED on Parks and Rec - The Graham Norton Show

"I know what I'm gonna do! I'm gonna drop my trou!"**New episodes of The Graham Norton Show premiere Saturdays at 10/9c only on BBC America!**Subscribe now: ...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird article, his name must be shit behind the scenes to be doing this

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped attending at 15. The millisecond I was allowed.

I'll never forget when I was like 7 years old and my parents finally got sick of the racist bullshit they had to endure at our Mormon Church (among tons of other disgusting shit). One Sunday morning they went up to me and sister and said "Kids, do you wanna go to church today?"

We both said "NO!" We all went to the movies instead and never set foot inside a church again.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with being religious.

He could have denied being a member of the church without telling an OBVIOUS lie about his religiousity.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have given him credit for saying "Christianity has been oppressive as fuck," but that's never happening.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Guy who talks about God frequently, so much so that he's known for it, claims to not be religious. Got it.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm not Christian so I wouldn't be able to say, but is it normal for a 'non-religious' person, especially an adult, to still attend church?

It's entirely normal, especially for a person who would still describe themselves as spiritual. People attend church for all sorts of reasons. Some people just go for the sense of community and there are a lot of people who flat-out don't believe in God or heaven and still go to church. It's always been this way.

Hell, there are religious leaders in all of the Abrahamic religions who have quietly expressed to various religious writers and historians that they don't believe in God or strict interpretation of scripture anymore.

(Not defending Pratt or anyone else here btw, just addressing your question)

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Like if you believe.

lol

Reminder about how Chris got into religion:

www.esquire.com

Oh Lord, There Goes That Damn Pratt Boy Again, Bless His Heart

You know! Parks and Recreation? Moneyball? Zero Dark Thirty? Guardians of the Freakin' Galaxy?! Married to Anna Faris? No? Well, then you're in for a ride.

We fall back, exhausted from our momentary emotional investment, and talk about female jockeys and using your mind to operate televisions and Pratt's modified margarita recipe (one part margarita mix, one part tequila, a quarter part whiskey, a quarter part Grand Marnier, lime) and his plans to go frog spearing with Willie Robertson, and how everyone is connected through God, he and I and that loser California Chrome.

He has proof.

"In Maui, about four weeks before I was discovered to go to California, I was hanging with my buddy. I wasn't quite old enough to drink, so we got somebody to go in and buy us some alcohol. This guy came by and was like, 'What are you doing tonight?' I was like, 'Oh, I dunno. I was just gonna wait out here, my friends are gonna buy me a bottle of Carlo Rossi and a sixer of Milwaukee's Best Ice. So he's like, 'Will you fornicate tonight?' I was like, 'I hope so.' 'And drugs and drinking?' It's like, 'Most likely, yeah. Probably all three of those things. I mean, at least two of them, possibly all three.' He was like, 'I stopped because Jesus told me to stop and talk to you. He said to tell you you're destined for great things.' My friends came out, and I was like, 'Hey, I'm gonna go with this guy.' I gave my soul to Jesus within, like, two days. I was stuffing envelopes for his organization, Jews for Jesus. I'm not even sure, at that age—I was nineteen years old—I knew what Jewish was."

A few days later, sober and filled with Christian Jew for Jesus vigor, Pratt returned to the beach. He ran into a friend, a pastor's daughter who was smoking meth and "whoring around," and told her what he'd been up to. She asked him to get her to church, he called his new sponsor on a pay phone, and she became a Youth with a Mission pastor.

"I feel a little bit like my entire purpose was to get her."

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
I'm not Christian so I wouldn't be able to say, but is it normal for a 'non-religious' person, especially an adult, to still attend church? Anyway, his words below.

I'm not going to defend Chris Pratt, but on the specific question, I know a few people who would call themselves "non-religious" who attend church. They go to what would be considered very "liberal" churches (generally Universalists), and they do so because they enjoy the community.

Oct 27, 2017
Three times before the rooster crows energy.

That said, spiritual but not religious is a very common statement among modern Christians.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Sorry, second he was like rural Americans don't get their stories told in Hollywood he gets the forever side eye.

Not to say he's a bad person, but he's obviously out of touch and coming from a particular angle.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe he is just worried that after the overturning of Roe, he needs to hide his extreme religious views if he wants to keep working in Hollywood. Otherwise he will end up like Kevin Sorbo.

Pratt has more fame and recognition than Sorbo ever did even at the height of his career in the 90s.

Methinks that he is getting ahead of a story about his church that might come out soon.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
TBH he may not have any connection to Hillsong, but he sounds very evangelical. Like if this is supposed to be some damage control, yet he still sounds kinda like a youth pastor here, he's probably plenty goofy upstairs regardless.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If he keeps that energy up and proves it then I can believe it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not too religious compared to whom???? o_O
I mean, have at it if he wants to do some good and change perceptions and promote some of the pointless stuff some Christian folk think are taboo, but I kinda doubt it RN.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a pretty standard "i believe in a God, but don't have a ton of love for organized religion" kind of statement that a lot of Americans make.

I treat actors like professional athletes, when it comes to their religious beliefs: you're living a blessed life, of course you think God is real and looking out for you.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere

Yes. I know this is gonna sound weird, but there is a sizable amount of Christians who do not consider themselves religious. Believing in Christianity, and even calling oneself a Christian, is not a religious matter. Religion in this view has nothing to do with "God's truth", but what the church does. What other denominations do. Most of the Christian people in my life attend church and call themselves Christians, but when asked about religion they are quick to say "oh, I'm not religious".

Antoo

May 1, 2019
dude seems to have some terrible views involving "both sides" based on who he follows on social media but why do people have to just make up shit in their head about the guy like how he is a pro-lifer? like there are perfectly valid reasons to criticize the dude. why resort to baseless speculation? especially when people that this site loves like james gunn is constantly saying he does not hold views like that and is actively promoting his shit (just shouted out his amazon show). gunn in fact is even in this damn article defending him hardcore.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Chris Pratt Clarifies Views: “I’m Not a Religious Person”

"Religion has been oppressive as f*** for a long time," Pratt says, and denies ever attending Hillsong Church.

Lol at him saying he was never religious and didn't know anyone at that church