• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Religious means relating to or believing in a religion. Frequently attending organized religion isn't required to be religious, and it doesn't matter if they say they aren't because that's what the word means. He's certainly said enough for us to know he was basing his beliefs on Christianity rather than any other.
I'll quote myself from a while ago, because I said the same thing you did:
It's not a measure of how strong they believe in their faith. They don't consider themselves "religious" because they don't consider themselves followers of a "religion," but followers of God.

Like someone else posted, many say "it's not a religion, it's a relationship."

Now, you and I may say that's semantics and not a accurate understanding of what the word "religion" means. And we would be right.

I'm just saying he's not trying to pull some sort of Jedi mind trick in this interview, this way of talking about their faith is something a lot of Christians commonly do.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh.

Astro, this whole conversation stayed because you said you didn't know Pratt "supported the GOP," which is a specific political party.

I read that, and thought you had misinterpreted some of the other posts in here, and thought Pratt had been public with concrete support of a specific political party.

So I said that, while we have reasons to believe that he is conservative in his beliefs, he has not made a public endorsement of "the GOP," the specific political party.

You interpreted that as me running cover for Pratt, and became pretty combative, and as far as I'm concerned, without cause.

You argued that Pratt following conservative figures on Twitter, and wearing a shirt with a 300 year old phrase used by all sorts of political groups on the right, not just the GOP, constituted public support of "the GOP."

To which I said, ok, because it's not really an argument that I had any meaningful objection to, and I didn't really have any interest, desire, or reason to continue the conversation. I was fine accepting that was your perfectly reasonable thought process, and ending the discussion there.

You have since posted over and over again, continuing your aggressive posture towards me over an argument that I never actually engaged in, going so far as to try to get into the weeds over what the phrase "wasn't without merit" means. I have clearly tried to end this conversation multiple times. I do think Pratt is a conservative, I am not interested in defending his honor, and I am not fighting with you. Please stop.
Firstly, sorry, but that "sigh" is not justified.

Your intiial comment was nonsense, it doesn't matter how much you reason othwerwise. You said "He doesn't publicly support the GOP", but ANYONE following those figures and wearing those slogans supports them publically.

This is not being pedentic, it is an important thing to acknowledge.

If you can't see how some of your responses to me, espeically that "ok", didn't come across as dismissive then I don't know what to say about that, I'll leave that point there. This is a public forum though, and my responses have been perfectly fair.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Firstly, sorry, but that "sigh" is not justified.

Your intiial comment was nonsense, it doesn't matter how much you reason othwerwise. You said "He doesn't publicly support the GOP", but ANYONE following those figures and wearing those slogans supports them publically.

This is not being pedentic, it is an important thing to acknowledge.
Ok. I understand your position, I will not be responding to you further.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I understand your position, I will not be responding to you further.
Just don't go around saying "He doesn't publicly support the GOP" when he's following the people he does and wearing the slogans he is, and we won't need to have this conversation at all.

It is incredibly frustrating seeing people say that.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I'm not a religious person.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to finishing building my 20-foot cross.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
A dude who constantly posts Christian stuff, talks about the Bible, wears don't tread on me shirts, and followed all of the worst of the worst in Hitler youth recruiters on social media, and people still like "come on guys, there isn't a video of him specifically saying he's a republican.". This is some next level gas-lighting. If there was a picture of him in a Trump hat mother fuckers would be like "relax people, there are other people in the world besides Donald Trump with that last name, we don't know where he got that hat and people assuming he supports Republicans are being hysterical"

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
A dude who constantly posts Christian stuff, talks about the Bible, wears don't tread on me shirts, and followed all of the worst of the worst in Hitler youth recruiters on social media, and people still like "come on guys, there isn't a video of him specifically saying he's a republican.". This is some next level gas-lighting. If there was a picture of him in a Trump hat mother fuckers would be like "relax people, there are other people in the world besides Donald Trump with that last name, we don't know where he got that hat and people assuming he supports Republicans are being hysterical"
What? Who is he following, or was following?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Right?

So fucking frustrating.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
agreed.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
He could come out and say he's proudly pro-life and people would be like "you're misconstruing what he is saying, he meant he supports the LIFE of the pro-choice movement and wants it to live on. Plenty of regular guys who support women say stuff like this all the time, relax."

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
After reading what he said, I feel like some people are perhaps misinterpreting what he said (admittedly in a kinda clumsy way). He very obviously is religious by most peoples definition of the word. As evident from his own comments and social media. But he's trying to make a distinction between himself and his definition of a religious person.

That being said, i'm not sure how useful a distinction it is since I don't think any person would describe themselves as religious using his definition. It seems to me he is trying to draw a line between himself and the more blind evangelical types he is often thought of as being.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
A video would come out of him at the capitol riot and people would say he was just there signing autographs or some shit and telling us we have big "bitch eating crackers" mentality over him

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
A video would come out of him at the capitol riot and people would say he was just there signing autographs or some shit and telling us we have big "bitch eating crackers" mentality over him
LMAO

He could get appointed to Trump's next cabinet and people would be like "there have been plenty of non-republican members of the cabinet over the years, relax, just because he is on Trump's cabinet doesn't mean he supports the GOP."

He's not a very good liar.

Didn't he start a Parler account like right before it went down in flames because of the Capitol riot?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Ben Shapiro, PragerU, Turning Point, Candace Owens etc. Didn't follow any other political accounts BTW.
Seems like he has dropped Prager and TP (though they were there), but still has the other ones, plus Tucker Carlson, a bunch of Republican politicians, etc. And yeah, no progressives or Democrats (other than those in Hollywood).

Oh and he follows Tulsi, which really just helps paint the complete picture.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yep he definitely had a Parler acct. Inb4 "a celebrity using a popular social media app doesn't mean anything!! It's his job to promote!!"

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
My question is why does it matter to me if he's a nice guy in private? Why should we listen to his celebrity friends saying he's not an asshole when, you know, they're his (totally not biased I'm sure...) friends? What he does in private or how he treats his friends doesn't matter at all to me, or any of his fans. What DOES matter is the support (or lack of) he shows various causes, who he endorses, who he follows and what he posts on social media etc. And his complete radio silence about his right wing nutjob of a brother already says enough. It's pretty easy for a celebrity to at least publically distance themselves from a "problematic" family member, yet he doesn't. Instead of doing this whole "I'm not religious" thing he could have just made a bland "I support human rights"-esque statement and most people would stop giving a shit.
Like, there are a TON of Hollywood conservatives that keep their mouths shut to appear neutral and their actual political views hidden from the public. Chris Pratt fucked up by being so public with his christianity in combination with his twitter follows and lack of stance on literally any political issue for the last few years.

Also idk why he is trying to push the CP nickname, it already has several meanings, none of them appropriate as a nickname.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Just don't go around saying "He doesn't publicly support the GOP" when he's following the people he does and wearing the slogans he is, and we won't need to have this conversation at all.
Well, I guess technically, he follows people who are to the right of even the GOP on average, so he's even worse than that.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad that people are pointing out the "I'm not religious, but in a relationship with God" crap.

Man I remember spewing that nonsense when I was a part of that "born again Christian" thing.

Last edited:

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
jesus-niles.gif

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
If you directly or indirect support organizations or have friends that actively hurt people, you are a bad person.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I guess technically, he follows people who are to the right of even the GOP on average, so he's even worse than that.
Lol you have a point, but then is the modern GOP really rhag much different? Feels to me like those far-right talking points have become brazen calling cards for the GOP for a while now.

He only called God "good" though - he could have called him "great"!
Yeh, he's not THAT religious.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
2 weeks ago:

"God is so good".

Nothing againt his religiousness in theroy, but him trying to say he isn't is absurd lol.

Unfortunately shit like this has become so ingrained in normal English vocabulary that people would still argue that this isn't exactly religious lol

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
The only reason this seems to get so much attention isn't so much the religious aspect, it's just how painfully obvious of a PR campaign this is to change up his profile. Given the timing of what's going on with the country, just like, come on my guy. Read the room.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The only reason this seems to get so much attention isn't so much the religious aspect, it's just how painfully obvious of a PR campaign this is to change up his profile. Given the timing of what's going on with the country, just like, come on my guy. Read the room.
Really he should have just said nothing. He's starring in two of the biggest movies this summer, people in the industry like him and he gets work constantly, and the overwhelming majority of moviegoers didn't know or care about him maybe being a Christian Republican. Like I'm probably more aware of this stuff than 80% of moviegoers and I had no idea until this thread his brother is a 3%er, but the news cycle draws attention to that stuff. Twitter posters making dunks really hurt his feelings I guess.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Nice try cunt. Following the likes of PagerU and Ben Shapiro says plenty about you. No need to smokescreen you bitch.

Apparently also followed Tucker Carlson. LOL

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Well a lot people White Knighting for him here now look VERY dumb...

You expect a privileged straight white conservative Christian man to be that self-aware???

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Gunn just retweeted this

Full article

www.menshealth.com

How Chris Pratt Became the People's Chris

Blockbuster movie star. Beloved coworker. Stand-up dad and all-around good hang. So why is Chris Pratt the subject of so many Twitter pile-ons? He has some theories.

"Maybe it was hubris. For me to stand up on the stage and say the things that I said, I'm not sure I touched anybody," he offers, and he gets why people were put off. "Religion has been oppressive as fuck for a long time," he says as we walk over a tiny footbridge, the words spilling out in an emotional tidal wave. "I didn't know that I would kind of become the face of religion when really I'm not a religious person. I think there's a distinction between being religious—adhering to the customs created by man, oftentimes appropriating the awe reserved for who I believe is a very real God—and using it to control people, to take money from people, to abuse children, to steal land, to justify hatred. Whatever it is. The evil that's in the heart of every single man has glommed on to the back of religion and come along for the ride."

Say what you will about Pratt, but these are big ideas he's openly wrestling with, and it's something I can't imagine another celebrity in his shoes saying. The situation wasn't helped by Pratt's alleged association with the celebrity church Hillsong, whose official policies contain what can generously be called non-LGBTQ-affirming statements. After Pratt casually talked about his faith with Stephen Colbert in 2019, the actor Elliot Page called him out.

Pratt issued a statement at the time: "It has recently been suggested that I belong to a church which 'hates a certain group of people' and is 'infamously anti-LGBTQ.' Nothing could be further from the truth. I am a man who believes that everyone is entitled to love who they want free from the judgment of their fellow man."
What he didn't say then—and what he tells me now—is: "I never went to Hillsong. I've never actually been to Hillsong. I don't know anyone from that church." Okay. Why not say that at the time?
"I'm gonna, like, throw a church under the bus?" he replies, before reconsidering. "If it's like the Westboro Baptist Church, that's different." No one's suggesting that. But he could have, ya know, read up on Hillsong. Pratt tells me he attends Zoe Church, but I'm not sure the distinction will satisfy his critics. Zoe, also popular with celebrities like Justin and Hailey Bieber, was founded by pastor Chad Veach. He executive- produced a 2017 film that equated "sexual brokenness" with "same-sex attraction." Pratt also mentions that he doesn't go to Zoe exclusively. When it came time for Lyla to be baptized, he and his wife chose a norm-y Catholic church in Santa Monica where she worshipped as a kid.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gunn just retweeted this

Full article

www.menshealth.com

How Chris Pratt Became the People's Chris

Blockbuster movie star. Beloved coworker. Stand-up dad and all-around good hang. So why is Chris Pratt the subject of so many Twitter pile-ons? He has some theories.

Whilst character recommendations can be a good thing to judge a person, it can also be completely meaningless or in fact counterproductive.

Anyone who has ever dealt with horrible people in their family or people close around them have probably seen others swear that they are a nice. It's a cliche at this point but fucking serial killers had people saying how shocked they are because they were so nice.

I also have lost a lot of respect for some of the MCU lot as a group of them will quickly jump to defend Pratt but remain silent when Larson is getting bombarded with misogynistic bullshit.