• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

will0wis

Nov 1, 2017
Brazil
I don't understand how so much people doesn't get the context of that letter.
In RE2, Chris is in Europe, hiding and searching for Umbrella's Headquarters there. This letter about getting mad puss isn't about him getting mad puss. He's talking in codes. He talks about going under a lady's "umbrella", he tells Barry to stay away so the girls won't cry (Barry's daugthers) and ask Jill to tell Claire that everything is okay, so she won't search for him and get in danger, which she does.

As much as I love my Chris-As-A-Gay-Bara-Daddy fantasy, that's how I read it too.

And Claire's reaction showed that she noticed something was up. I mean, that's the whole context of Code Veronica happening.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
What is this thread? no one is taking about finding RE7 files in REmake 2 and instead just talking about their favorite versions of Chris...

RE5 Chris is the correct answer

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
What is this thread? no one is taking about finding RE7 files in REmake 2 and instead just talking about their favorite versions of Chris...

RE5 Chris is the correct answer
There ain't much to otherwise discuss. Chris didn't look anything close to that in 1998, so this is clearly a model for a non-canon mode they've yet to reveal. That, or it's a whole lotta nothing, and that model is just there because.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Honestly question but after seeing this is Chris's face model the most changed character model in the series?
His actual face model is probably the most consistent in the series. Seriously, if you take his face it's mostly the same just higher poly. In those images, the only one that's different is 7's.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
wow, never noticed, that REmake Chris looks exactly like he did in CV.
That's not a picture from Code: Veronica, it's from the CV scenario in Darkside Chronicles.

This is Code: Veronica Chris:

chris-redfield.png

His worst design by far.

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love my Chris-As-A-Gay-Bara-Daddy fantasy, that's how I read it too.

And Claire's reaction showed that she noticed something was up. I mean, that's the whole context of Code Veronica happening.
IT's both. Chris knows people that know him know he's gay so the girl thing is big ole red herring to disguise his coded message

will0wis

Nov 1, 2017
Brazil
IT's both. Chris knows people that know him know he's gay so the girl thing is big ole red herring to disguise his coded message

I really want to believe that lol

The amount that some folks care about fine differences of visual design in what, at bottom, is a generic action movie look is strange.

Now concerns about changing voice actors, that I understand.

The overall military/action movie "look" certainly didn't change, but the models did. Its different people and it's jarring when compared to what we had before. If he didn't say he was "Redfield", nobody would ever know that was Chris... It could be literally any random military agent, and that's exactly the problem here. A random military agent is not the Chris Redfield people knew.

It's ok that people arbitrarily prefer one over the other (or simply not care at all) since it's still the "same character", but the concerns are completely understandable and valid imo.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Chris literally had one model in years 2002 - 2009 (REmake, Umbrella Chronicles, Darkside Chronicles) and another one, which was an evolution (buffed version) of that model, in years 2009 - 2017 (RE5, RE6, Revelations, Mercenaries 3D, MvC3, MvC:I -- and I'm not even counting all the guest appearances). Even the Vendetta version was based on RE6 look (just with different art style).

ITT, people think getting buff shrinks your eyeballs.

Oct 25, 2017
ITT, people think getting buff shrinks your eyeballs.
I literally want a hit of the drug where the remake model doesn't look like the CV one but does look like the RE5 one.

why is gold edition labelled as 2006 in that chart. lol?

The current model doesn't look like re5-6 chris but kinda looks like the remake one. I think it was an (unsuccessful) attempt to bridge the two looks in the shift to a photogammetry based, more realistic style.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I literally want a hit of the drug where the remake model doesn't look like the CV one but does look like the RE5 one.

The current model doesn't look like re5-6 chris but kinda looks like the remake one. I think it was an (unsuccessful) attempt to bridge the two looks in the shift to a photogammetry based, more realistic style.
Typical Capcom, trying to sell you on disc DLC before they have even printed the disc....smh.

Did Capcom really not see the huge backlash against RE7's Chris? For fuck's sake.

I was gonna use this exact gif before seeing your post.

Yeah, you can't have Chris without Roger voicing him. He's the definitive voice for the character.
He's Batman now. Don't have time to be saving Racoon City's broken down ass.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

RE5 Chris literally used the Remake face model as a base.

NqOFws5.jpg

TynL1F0.jpg

RE7 Chris looks like trash and nothing like any of the previous iterations.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Not only does Chris look awful in RE7, but it doesn't make sense how he changed so much in a short amount of time, since Resident Evil Vendetta takes place not too long before RE7.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I always called buff Chris cliffy b Chris. He could slot right into GOW with no alteration.

Kinda dumb to redesign the character after being the most consistent character since re5.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
You didn't count Code Veronica and he looks different there.

Yes, I omitted CV because REmake was the point where characters started looking like real people (well, not counting RE1 intro/endings). CV still had that cartoonish art design.

Capcom started using real model's faces to create characters back in REmake (hence Julia Vorth as Jill). In an interview about REmake's development someone from the team (don't remember who, maybe Mikami) said that with this level of graphic fidelity, they need to have face models since characters look so realistic that someone could sue them with "hey, that's my face in your game!".

The point is that he has had several design changes. In the launch trailer for RE5 people couldn't tell that Chris was the protagonist until much later.

The RE5 trailer Chris was just a prototype look. As people already pointed out, Chris' final face in RE5 (and thus Revelations and RE6) is based on REmake Chris. They just buffed him, modified him (shrinken his eyes for some reason) and changed the hairstyle. Just like RE5 Jill is REmake Jill with longer hair and bigger nose (for some reason).

And even if you insist that REmake Chris looks nothing like RE5 Chris, that's still only one design change in 15 years (2002 - 2017). But he still has a similar face features and dark hair. Unlike RE7 Chris, who suddenly has a long face, blonde hair, and looks nothing like his previous two major iterations.

The "I'm Redfield" moment at the end of RE7 was meant to be the "Is that you? :D" moment from the end of RE3, where Barry suddenly appears in the helicopter and saves Jill. Instead it was a literal "who are you?" moment for a lot (all?) players who were confused by an appearance of a character who looks and sounds nothing like Chris Redfield they had knew for the last 15 years.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
« Chris redfield looked the same except for the part where the most critical features were changed around » will never fail to amuse me.

Saying this is the same design from 2002-2017 is downright ridiculous

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
RE5, 6 and 7 Chris all look terrible. The new one barely resembles him especially with the random change to his hair colour. If they darkened his hair and gave him more of his classic colors it would look so much better.
RE5 Chris literally used the Remake face model as a base.

NqOFws5.jpg

TynL1F0.jpg

RE7 Chris looks like trash and nothing like any of the previous iterations.
I understand they used the same model but I don't know why people keep saying the eye shape is the only change. RE5 changed his eye colour, his eyebrows aren't as long and they are shaped differently, his lips are longer, his ears are smaller and his skin is slightly darker.

Side by side they look like completely different people and it doesn't help with the roid look. If they kept his eye shape and colour i think roid chris would look a lot better. Pierre looks more like classic Chris and is hotter.

Greenzxy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand they used the same model but I don't know why people keep saying the eye shape is the only change. RE5 changed his eye colour, his eyebrows aren't as long and they are shaped differently, his lips are longer, his ears are smaller and his skin is slightly darker
Going to a gym can do that to a person

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
RE5, 6 and 7 Chris all look terrible. The new one barely resembles him especially with the random change to his hair colour. If they darkened his hair and gave him more of his classic colors it would look so much better.

I understand they used the same model but I don't know why people keep saying the eye shape is the only change. RE5 changed his eye colour, his eyebrows aren't as long and they are shaped differently, his lips are longer, his ears are smaller and his skin is slightly darker.

Side by side they look like completely different people and it doesn't help with the roid look. If they kept his eye shape and colour i think roid chris would look a lot better. Pierre looks more like classic Chris and is hotter.

Maybe Chris is a skrull that can't decide on a look?

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Apart from 7's atrocious redesign all versions of Chris have some level of consistency. It's baffling they want to stick to this new one. He may as well be a completely different character.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart

Even if it was only the eyes that they changed, that's a pretty significant defining part of a face.

F41v9UY.jpg

2NTZ4Vb.jpg
rgqwsQk.jpg

Jul 24, 2018
Yes, I omitted CV because REmake was the point where characters started looking like real people (well, not counting RE1 intro/endings). CV still had that cartoonish art design.

Capcom started using real model's faces to create characters back in REmake (hence Julia Vorth as Jill). In an interview about REmake's development someone from the team (don't remember who, maybe Mikami) said that with this level of graphic fidelity, they need to have face models since characters look so realistic that someone could sue them with "hey, that's my face in your game!".

The RE5 trailer Chris was just a prototype look. As people already pointed out, Chris' final face in RE5 (and thus Revelations and RE6) is based on REmake Chris. They just buffed him, modified him (shrinken his eyes for some reason) and changed the hairstyle. Just like RE5 Jill is REmake Jill with longer hair and bigger nose (for some reason).

And even if you insist that REmake Chris looks nothing like RE5 Chris, that's still only one design change in 15 years (2002 - 2017). But he still has a similar face features and dark hair. Unlike RE7 Chris, who suddenly has a long face, blonde hair, and looks nothing like his previous two major iterations.

The "I'm Redfield" moment at the end of RE7 was meant to be the "Is that you? :D" moment from the end of RE3, where Barry suddenly appears in the helicopter and saves Jill. Instead it was a literal "who are you?" moment for a lot (all?) players who were confused by an appearance of a character who looks and sounds nothing like Chris Redfield they had knew for the last 15 years.
What does them having real faces have to do with anything? The point is that even with the introduction of mocap faces, you could still tell that Jill, Barry and the rest, in the Remake, are who they are because of their clothes, or their distinct hair style etc. Claire for instance having a ponytail and a red hacket, Leon's DiCaprio looking haircut. Chris' most eye catching feature are the colours on his clothes, anything else about him looked nothing like his previous iterations. He just strikes me as generic white soldier boy. Having said that, I'm not really that big of a fan of his RE7 design either, it is at least a step up from hiring a balloon salesman as his personal trainer.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
RE7 Chris looks like Chris if he

-Relapsed on his alcoholism after the ending of RE6
-Stopped hitting the gym
-Had a hard life
-Is nearing the wrong side of his 40's
-Had his face stretched out like a piece of taffy

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, so is the world of Resident Evil moving in real time with the actual real world dates? So Chris, Claire, Leon, and everyone else is really over 20 years older since their first appearances?

I just figured things was like the world of SF where Ryu and Ken are probably in their mid to late 30's despite the fact that they should be 55 now.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so is the world of Resident Evil moving in real time with the actual real world dates? So Chris, Claire, Leon, and everyone else is really over 20 years older since their first appearances?

I just figured things was like the world of SF where Ryu and Ken are probably in their mid to late 30's despite the fact that they should be 55 now.
Resident Evil 7 takes place in 2017. Supposedly it is still in the main timeline continuity (I see posts stating they confirm either way, so I'm unsure), so it has been 19 years since Resident Evil 2. Which is 2 months after Resident Evil 1.

Chris was born in 1973, so in theory that would make him 44 as of Resident Evil 7.