• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Player 1

Oct 29, 2017
User was warned: finding rape jokes offensive doesn't make one a "snowflake", and your repeated emphasis on "lying" women is disgusting. Stop.
But you provided the example as if it's standard behavior and the norm...when it isn't

No I didn't. I just posted that some women do cry rape for revenge and/or money (factual truth) and I posted a very true case that's very close to home.

What limits? That's the same kinda misogynistic jokes stand up comedians have been doing since forever.

The limits of "what's accepted as jokes" in our society. Yes, some people do get offended and their feelings hurt but so what? People are so fragile today it's almost funny. "Oh, I got offended. I need my safe space before I melt away."

I'm with comedian Jimmy Carr on this one. People who get offended by jokes should grow up. I'm overweight and I hear jokes about being overwight from comedians but I don't care because I'm not a snowflake.

You should be able to joke about anything.

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's a comedian trying out new material. He's not on a gamergate twitter crusade.

With the right delivery, the idea of a paranoid schmuck jumping through a million ridiculous hoops to try to shield himself from false accusations could be funny. Either the delivery was subpar, the audience thought it as in poor taste, or both. It happens. Also would be nice if there were a video so that we could see the delivery. The account of what he said was I'm sure very paraphrased. And in the broader sense, if a comedian makes it his or her mission not to ever offend ANYONE EVER, they wouldn't be very funny.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Timing is fine. Joke needs to be reworked. Comedians try shit all the time and sometimes it bombs horribly. Ask lewis, Seinfeld etc. Even Rock himself.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
That explored the complexity of feelings for a man who both broke a lot of ground for black folk in show business/ provided a role model on TV for black families when there weren't many and was a total monster...

It's got a much clearer and meaningful thesis.

I fully agree, I just think the people saying there is no possible way to joke about rape and be funny are missing the mark.

It's an extremely volatile topic but that's what most comedians aim for. How you execute the joke is the key differentiator between what Chris is dealing with and how Chappelle's joke came across, both generally about the topic of rape.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was bad material but that's the point of these touring shows, is to try out material to see what works and what doesn't, to put together a good set for a cable special. He's probably had a ton of tone deaf duds before, that just were before everyone was a reporter with a video camera.

Tracy Morgan for example joked if he found out his son was gay he would stab him. I don't believe for a minute that is true, it's just a really terribly thought out absurd joke he was trying and after crowd reaction never tried again.

Material like this often builds to form a subversive argument against the basis of the joke itself when put into the larger context of the set, but when something bombs that badly you don't really find out where it was headed.

Comedians poke the audience to see what the limits of acceptable are. Good comedians observe that limit and learn from it in future performances while less good comedians don't learn from it and go on Twitter and whine about PC culture making their jokes bomb. Or in the case of someone like a Tosh or a Michael Richards have on stage meltdowns and take it out on their live audience.

Thanks for this I was about to type out something similar.

That being said I think the joke was in poor taste, but definitely seems to fit his style of comedy.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I fully agree, I just think the people saying there is no possible way to joke about rape and be funny are missing the mark.

It's an extremely volatile topic but that's what most comedians aim for. How you execute the joke is the key differentiator between what Chris is dealing with and how Chappelle's joke came across, both generally about the topic of rape.

Chappelle and Rock have both made murder, AIDs and centuries of oppression and suffering funny.

I don't know why this particular topic is off limits. I'm sure some people have personal reasons and experiences that justify such but it comes off as an arbitrary rule.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Chappelle and Rock have both made murder, AIDs and centuries of oppression and suffering funny.

I don't know why this particular topic is off limits. I'm sure some people have personal reasons and experiences that justify such but it comes off as an arbitrary rule.
It's not off limits. It's that it sounds like it wasn't funny and was built off a shaky premise. This post is a concise breakdown of why it doesn't work:
The problem with this joke is that the 'women lie about rape for money' isn't the joke. It's the premise upon which the joke is built ('Chris Rock's reaction is hilariously extreme'). Offensive jokes are, I would argue, okay. But the offensive part of this isn't the joke. It's the part that you have to take as true at face value for the joke to work. That's the problem with it.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It's not off limits. It's that it sounds like it wasn't funny and was built off a shaky premise. This post is a concise breakdown of why it doesn't work:

I was referring more to overall. Rape has always been more off-limits than any other subject.

Also, my problem with that problem of yours is that such things have in fact happened before and could very well happen with the current scandal.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with people being snowflakes. That term is so dismissive and gross.

Sure maybe jokes are a bastion, but even then you should be able to understand why people are upset by them.

Do you think you'd find a joke about a dead baby funny if you had just lost your own?

People are angry, hurt, traumatised because of sexual assault. The #metoo campaign just brought all of this to light, probably dredging up a lot of painful memories for survivors of assault and their loved ones, Chris is an idiot to think this joke would fly.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to see this in the context of the show. Chapelle was able to make that Cosby joke work but his dumb trans jokes were as bad as they originally seemed. Sometimes there really the comedy completely falls apart and when offensive comedy isn't funny or making a point it comes across horribly

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I was referring more to overall. Rape has always been more off-limits than any other subject.

Also, my problem with that problem of yours is that such things have in fact happened before and could very well happen with the current scandal.
That something happens doe not mean it happens regularly, often, or even infrequently.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
While this thread initially debated both the gravity of sexual abuse and rape and whether or not comedians should be allowed to joke about this, it has since steered off that subject and we are locking the thread as a result. Please note that we continue to welcome any serious debate on the matter of abuse in future threads, but do not make a new thread on Chris Rock unless new news are revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.