• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunWukong

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Then why bring her up at all?
This is pretty thick coming from a person who thinks an Internet person just criticizing some common sexist tropes is the worst thing in the world and causes men to have to walk on eggshells. It's clear where you are coming from.

This isn't about "being controversial" being a big no-no in anyone's eyes. It's this particular "women make false rape accusations" shit that didn't have a single ounce of cleverness or insight into the topic in it. Louis CK is one of my favorite comedians and he handles controversial topics in controversial ways all the time and I have no trouble with any of it (that I've heard). But then again, even among his controversies, he hasn't said anything as idiotic as "I won't hire women because they'll just falsely accuse me of rape", at least not without something preseeding or following it giving it that required context or punchline that makes it funny (dark) humor.

Yes, I don't agree with Anita whatsoever and think she's a part of the problem with political correctness gone amok, but let's stay on topic.Your argument truly does boil down to Chris Rock tackling a particular subject matter in a way you personally didn't find appealing. Well, that's your own personal problem and doesn't speak ill to Chris Rock's joke in the slightest, you were just offended. And again, that's the point of being a comedian, taking on subject matter in a manner that will make some laugh and irritate others. There's nothing at all special about this particular subject matter other than it upsetting you in particular. This is how Chris Rock has always been, nothing changed with this joke he told.

Edit: The guy I'm replying to was the one who brought it up, I merely responded.

Last edited:

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Criticize all you want. People always have criticized comedians, and hopefully they always will, which will mean comedians are still pushing past accepted boundaries. I'm not willing to criticize Rock until I actually hear the entire joke, in his voice, with his delivery, in its final form. Some people that did hear it first hand thought it failed. Sounds like he needs to work on it or cut it. Only problem I had with the story is that he had people removed from his show.

You're undervaluing criticism, and I know you're doing so because you're inadvertently promoting a framework that makes genuinely criticizing comedy impossible. How? Criticism needs to be capable of being negative in order to be of substance; the idea that, in the case of comedy, it inherently implies some virtuous pushing of social boundaries negates that. Additionally, the "it failed" conceit seems like a conscious attempt to narrow interpretation of comedy to the question of "did people laugh?", and thus avoid the sort of analysis required for criticism of any depth.

People pull out all sorts of comedy-specific defenses to justify having such a high threshold for genuine criticism, but sometimes I wonder how distinct the impulse here is from the same one that makes people allergic to critical discussions around other forms of entertainment.

I...the jokes have to offend a group of people somewhere in the world, by their very nature. If they aren't offensive to someone, they probably aren't very good jokes on those subjects, tbh.

The central question here should not be about offense. Chris Rock's joke being good or bad does not revolve around the number of people it offended; the core thing being debated should be whether his joke managed to be more than trite, sexist nonsense premised on disproven and damaging conceptions about women and sexual abuse. If you only care about that latter thing to the extent that it might have "offended" some people, that's your problem, honestly.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
You're undervaluing criticism, and I know you're doing so because you're inadvertently promoting a framework that makes genuinely criticizing comedy impossible. How? Criticism needs to be capable of being negative in order to be of substance; the idea that, in the case of comedy, it inherently implies some virtuous pushing of social boundaries negates that. Additionally, the "it failed" conceit seems like a conscious attempt to narrow interpretation of comedy to the question of "did people laugh?", and thus avoid the sort of analysis required for criticism of any depth.

People pull out all sorts of comedy-specific defenses to justify having such a high threshold for genuine criticism, but sometimes I wonder how distinct the impulse here is from the same one that makes people allergic to critical discussions around other forms of entertainment.

The central question here should not be about offense. Chris Rock's joke being good or bad does not revolve around the number of people it offended; the core thing being debated should be whether his joke managed to be more than trite, sexist nonsense premised on disproven and damaging conceptions about women and sexual abuse. If you only care about that latter thing to the extent that it might have "offended" some people, that's your problem, honestly.

This is a great post.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I won't hire women because they cry rape for money" isn't very nuanced. It's saying "women lie about being raped". Given that he doesn't specify that it in actuality rarely happens, it comes across as if, to him, virtually all women lie about being raped.

That may be just a shitty joke, he may not actually believe that, but that's the message his attempt at humor sends - "don't believe women when they report rape".

That's a fair way to read it I suppose.

Again, it's not very well crafted comedy commentary as it stands. Pretty sure even Rock would admit that. He's testing out material in a small club.

But often, for comedy, you do have to imply broad strokes. The cliche stand up joke was "women, they loves to shop!"...doesn't matter what the % of women on the planet actually love to shop or not, nor does it really need to be quantified in the joke.

But I get how some people can feel any joke on this subject diminishes factual sexual assault accusations from men/women. It's a fair argument. I'm just disagreeing that he did something wrong here. It's the very place he should be testing out poorly worded commentary.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't work here either.

That's a valid, subjective opinion.

While others can have the opinion that the premise could work.

I do believe famous people are more susceptible to false accusations by the very nature of being famous *shrugs*. May not be statistically true, but certainly a believable premise.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
That's a fair way to read it I suppose.

Again, it's not very well crafted comedy commentary as it stands. Pretty sure even Rock would admit that. He's testing out material in a small club.

But often, for comedy, you do have to imply broad strokes. The cliche stand up joke was "women, they loves to shop!"...doesn't matter what the % of women on the planet actually love to shop or not, nor does it really need to be quantified in the joke.

But I get how some people can feel any joke on this subject diminishes factual sexual assault accusations from men/women. It's a fair argument. I'm just disagreeing that he did something wrong here. It's the very place he should be testing out poorly worded commentary.

I think it's fair to judge based on the whole context. But I also think the preview here, and the audience reaction, paints a poor picture of where this is coming from in Rock's mind. It's pretty toxic on its face.

Comedy should be both appreciated and criticized. You don't get one without the benefits and growth of the other. Calling him out for clarification as to who is the target of his joke - the abuser, the idiots who think false rape allegations are rampant, or the women he collectively believes lie about rape (if he believes this) - is part of that creative exchange. Comedians tell jokes, but the audience interprets them, and that's not in the comedian's control. Nor should it be. Otherwise, the comedian never evolves as an artist.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
That's a valid, subjective opinion.

While others can have the opinion that the premise could work.

I do believe famous people are more susceptible to false accusations by the very nature of being famous *shrugs*. May not be statistically true, but certainly a believable premise.

Most people defending Rock aren't even trying to argue it was anything close to a good joke...

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
"I won't hire women because they cry rape for money" isn't very nuanced. It's saying "women lie about being raped". Given that he doesn't specify that it in actuality rarely happens, it comes across as if, to him, virtually all women lie about being raped.
The article is 235 words long and Rock has two sentences quoted from a purportedly 20 minute set. We don't know if he specified/added a caveat or dealt in absolutes throughout the whole thing. The article is so sparse that its hard to say if those quotes are a good summation of the bit or just the most inflammatory portions.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Please keep this discussion about Chris Rock
Yes, I don't agree with Anita whatsoever and think she's a part of the problem with political correctness gone amok, but let's stay on topic.Your argument truly does boil down to Chris Rock tackling a particular subject matter in a way you personally didn't find appealing. Well, that's your own personal problem and doesn't speak ill to Chris Rock's joke in the slightest, you were just offended. And again, that's the point of being a comedian, taking on subject matter in a manner that will make some laugh and irritate others. There's nothing at all special about this particular subject matter other than it upsetting you in particular. This is how Chris Rock has always been, nothing changed with this joke he told.
Political correctness isn't "running amok." Treating women, gays, black people & other minorities as equal people and not relegating them to stereotypical roles & not using deragotary language of them is not "political correctness gone amok". It's basic human fucking decency. Wanting women to have capable representation in entertainment that is more than "sex object" and "helpless princess" is not "political correctness gone amok". Wanting black people/POC to have more roles other than "terrorist" & "gangsta thug" isn't "political correctness gone amok". Anita's arguments are not always flawless, but her aims of pointing out the rampant sexism in the video game industry & video games themselves to hopefully enact some change is perfectly reasonable.

Of course generalizations that women make fake accusations for money so commonly that a man should be afraid of hiring them are shit and that speaks ill of Chris Rock to make such a joke. Has got nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with general attitudes about the topics of sexual harassment & rape being as bad as they are and such simple observation feeding into that shit. I wouldn't have much problem with this "joke" if Chris Rock had preceeded it or followed it with something that justifies the usage of such a dumb observation, but at least based on the description here, he didn't do any such things.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, this is such a low-hanging fruit and an idiotic thing to say that it doesn't matter if it wasn't in some HBO or Netflix special but was just being tested out at some club. "Aren't women making fake rape accusations so common, lol" is as dumb & clearly idiotic a "joke" to make as "black people always stealing HDTVs, lol". Who on Earth would make either joke (in such simplistic form)? Like, at least have something deeper, complex and/or clever to add to it that wasn't already said by the VP of the US.

I'm sorry, but the article had only a one sentence quote of the routine from a random patron...and who knows if that quote is even worded accurately at all?

It's pretty disengenuous to lambast the material when relayed completely out of context and given second hand from memory.

MarkMcLovin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people here would have a heart attack if they went to see Frankie Boyle.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Heh, he tried a joke, it failed... it happens...

Larry David joked about the holocaust a few days ago... saw in some news that it was in bad taste, watched the skit. It was not even remotely as bad as stated in the article... got a good chuckle at one part but then it went forever and it got bad.. again , it happens.

Without watching the actual skit I just cant believe in articles that tends to misquote and all.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The article is 235 words long and Rock has two sentences quoted from a purportedly 20 minute set. We don't know if he specified/added a caveat or dealt in absolutes throughout the whole thing. The article is so sparse that its hard to say if those quotes are a good summation of the bit or just the most inflammatory portions.

See my post just above, where I say it's fair to judge from the whole context.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fair to judge based on the whole context. But I also think the preview here, and the audience reaction, paints a poor picture of where this is coming from in Rock's mind. It's pretty toxic on its face.

Comedy should be both appreciated and criticized. You don't get one without the benefits and growth of the other. Calling him out for clarification as to who is the target of his joke - the abuser, the idiots who think false rape allegations are rampant, or the women he collectively believes lie about rape (if he believes this) - is part of that creative exchange. Comedians tell jokes, but the audience interprets them, and that's not in the comedian's control. Nor should it be. Otherwise, the comedian never evolves as an artist.
And here you are, criticising the joke (albeit with limited info about the entire routine). And others are disagreeing with your criticism.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Political correctness isn't "running amok." Treating women, gays, black people & other minorities as equal people and not relegating them to stereotypical roles & not using deragotary language of them is not "political correctness gone amok". It's basic human fucking decency. Wanting women to have capable representation in entertainment that is more than "sex object" and "helpless princess" is not "political correctness gone amok". Wanting black people/POC to have more roles other than "terrorist" & "gangsta thug" isn't "political correctness gone amok". Anita's arguments are not always flawless, but her aims of pointing out the rampant sexism in the video game industry & video games themselves to hopefully enact some change is perfectly reasonable.

Of course generalizations that women make fake accusations for money so commonly that a man should be afraid of hiring them are shit and that speaks ill of Chris Rock to make such a joke. Has got nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with general attitudes about the topics of sexual harassment & rape being as bad as they are and such simple observation feeding into that shit. I wouldn't have much problem with this "joke" if Chris Rock had preceeded it or followed it with something that justifies the usage of such a dumb observation, but at least based on the description here, he didn't do any such things.

I don't understand the warning on this post, when discussing the overarching topics the warned poster touches on are related to the type of joke Rock attempted here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but the article had only a one sentence quote of the routine from a random patron...and who knows if that quote is even worded accurately at all?

It's pretty disengenuous to lambast the material when relayed completely out of context and given second hand from memory.
The audience reaction kind of tells a lot. Louis CK gets his shares of unbelieving gasps & such. I think there's one joke where the first sentence (or two) sounds like he's sympathizing/defending pedophiles, and that didn't get the warmest reaction from the audience at first, but eventually he manages to take the morbid joke to a conclusion that got the audience back in. The description doesn't sound like Chris Rock had too much to add to appease the people who were displeased with the beginning.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's a joke, but not a joke someone of his stature should make. It's a joke my uncle would make.
Not sure what was before or after this segment though. Maybe it was a lame joke, maybe it was just people not getting it again.

SunWukong

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User was banned for insisting on driving the topic to politics despite warning and posting an anti-"PC" manifesto. In a topic about Chris Rock.

I disagree entirely and so does the country, which I firmly believe is one of the many reasons Trump won. It was a pushback to how insanely politically correct the left had become over the past few years under Obama, whom I voted for twice just so you know. I'm not some right-wing maniac here and I'm black as well. Also, putting women, gays, blacks, & other minorities into games imo should not ever be the main focus, but something that comes as an afterthought after putting the focus on gameplay and story first. My problem, and those who share my mindset, is that you have people who make a huge deal about "inclusion" and "diversity", which becomes the driving point while the gameplay and story are the after thought. I don't think you should be looking to use games as a platform to push your idea on how accepting society should be, but to create a unique experience for gamers. I personally care less about being represent as a black american in a game as I do playing a game that's actually good. The two aren't mutually exclusive, but I've yet to see a single game where a fuss is made about "diversity" and "inclusion" that I found to be good. Quite the contrary actually, said games always seemed to be lacking because so much more focus was made on "sending a message".

You see what Chris Rock said as "making generalizations" when all it is, is Chris Rock being controversial and making a joke like he always does. It has everything to do with political correctness because you're offended by the joke. You can't be offended by a joke and then say it has nothing to do with political correctness, that's the very idea of what that term means, being offended over something you find not acceptable course of discussion or delivered in a way you'd find without taste. You found what Chris Rock joked about to be off limits and/or handled in a way you don't approve of. That's the bottom line here no matter how you try to spin it around. He did nothing wrong at all, he did his job as a comedian.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I don't understand the warning on this post, when discussing the overarching topics the warned poster touches on are related to the type of joke Rock attempted here.
The warning is not about the overarching topic, but specifically bringing another person unrelated to Chris Rock into this discussion. This is a discussion about Chris Rock, not Anita, so I would appreciate it if this did not turn this into a debate about her.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's always one...lol

Anyway, it ultimately comes down to comedy being subjective. If you're a dude, someone joking about how women lie about getting raped for money would probably be funnier/less annoying than if you were a woman, especially one who'd been sexually assaulted which is pretty probable given the numbers.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lets not try to silence comedians. It actually helps if he jokes about this, it makes people think. That's partly the point of stand up.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I disagree entirely and so does the country, which I firmly believe is one of the many reasons Trump won. It was a pushback to how insanely politically correct the left had become over the past few years under Obama, whom I voted for twice just so you know. I'm not some right-wing maniac here and I'm black as well. Also, putting women, gays, blacks, & other minorities into games imo should not ever be the main focus, but something that comes as an afterthought after putting the focus on gameplay and story first. My problem, and those who share my mindset, is that you have people who make a huge deal about "inclusion" and "diversity", which becomes the driving point while the gameplay and story are the after thought. I don't think you should be looking to use games as a platform to push your idea on how accepting society should be, but to create a unique experience for gamers. I personally care less about being represent as a black american in a game as I do playing a game that's actually good. The two aren't mutually exclusive, but I've yet to see a single game where a fuss is made about "diversity" and "inclusion" that I found to be good. Quite the contrary actually, said games always seemed to be lacking because so much more focus was made on "sending a message".

You see what Chris Rock said as "making generalizations" when all it is, is Chris Rock being controversial and making a joke like he always does. It has everything to do with political correctness because you're offended by the joke. You can't be offended by a joke and then say it has nothing to do with political correctness, that's the very idea of what that term means, being offended over something you find not acceptable course of discussion or delivered in a way you'd find without taste. You found what Chris Rock joked about to be off limits and/or handled in a way you don't approve of. That's the bottom line here no matter how you try to spin it around. He did nothing wrong at all, he did his job as a comedian.

Putting aside your other laughable commentary, one cannot make a unique experience for gamers by continuing to only cater to a small sliver of sexist, racist morons too afraid of The Other to embrace the creativity that diversity brings to the table. That way lies stagnation.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
This is the negative side of big comedians not allowing phones to record any audio or videos for their shows. This story from PageSix is based on first hand accounts and does sound like something that Chris Rock should have been booed off stage for, but not only do we not have confirmation of what Chris Rock said or didn't say in the story, but often in the case of comedy and skits it's important to hear the delivery and how the joke was said. But this PageSix story is being reported (and re-reported) as is and unless Chris Rock/someone releases audio, this is what we have to go with.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
This is the negative side of big comedians not allowing phones to record any audio or videos for their shows. This story from PageSix is based on first hand accounts and does sound like something that Chris Rock should have been booed off stage for, but not only do we not have confirmation of what Chris Rock said or didn't say in the story, but often in the case of comedy and skits it's important to hear the delivery and how the joke was said. But this PageSix story is being reported (and re-reported) as is and unless Chris Rock/someone releases audio, this is what we have to go with.

It's not a negative, it's a positive. If the material was intended for wide release, we would see it in his next special or he'd be touring it in massive venues. Not testing it at a drop in at the Cellar. He got the feedback from the audience, he doesn't need the entire internet jumping in.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, to bullies, sure.

Or maybe people can appreciate the absurdity of it. I was just listening to a podcast where the members were talking about going behind kids with Progeria and popping their heads. In addition to the hilarious delivery, it's funny for being so awful and something that no one would ever do. It's the same reasoning behind Aristocrats jokes.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't sound very funny but maybe the tone was different?

I personally don't want comedians to lay of certain topics. All should be fair game. They should be able to make a show about it and we should be able to criticise them for it.

And if he stops hiring females he can do so if he likes. I don't think it's reasonable but i understand it. Same thing with male kindergarten personell. I'm sure 99,99% of them won't ever harm a kid but i can understand that parents would want to take that risk. As wrong as this kind of thinking is.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jfc how many women who accuse someone of rape even get a payday? Seems like usually they get slut-shamed and that's that.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
What is he thinking? Stupid ass joke. It will embolden unfavorable stigma that people often heap towards successful women. I mean yea comedy and all that shit, but at some point you need to step back and see that some things are just too stupid to say.

Oct 25, 2017
Crack out the jokes about people being killed in churches, then.

I know you wanted this to look like the rest of your examples, but this one is actually feasible. The other examples involved wildly inappropriate venues or directly infringing on other people's rights. And while yes, there's definitely the possibility of SOMEONE finding some of those examples funny seeing as there's a lot of fucked up people in the world, I think it's kind of assumed we're specifically talking about words in a comedy setting.

As for your first example, Joan Rivers was making jokes about 9/11 THAT DAY. It's definitely possible to reference horrific current events and be successful at it.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
It's not so much in poor taste, but poorly executed, poorly scripted and poorly delivered.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I... don't even understand where he was going with that.

Usually when you tell an off-colour joke or venture deep into the darker teritories of comedy, you do it as a character or at least have a punchline. Where was his supposed punchline in stating something like this?

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Why? Punching down can be funny too.
I mean, to bullies, sure.
"Punching up" tests are a lens one can see cetain things through, but it's not all-encompassing and the up/down thing is not the magic key that unlocks being able to separate funny vs. unfunny jokes.

"Yo mama so poor when she goes to KFC, she has to lick other people's fingers!"
"Yo mama so fat her blood type is Ragu."
"Yo momma's so fat, when God said "Let there be light," he asked her to move out of the way."

Poverty and obesity are not funny, but the ridiculous image being portrayed is (well, arguably, I just grabbed some quickies), and there is a part of us that is capable of appreciating that despite the joke being at someone's expense.

Hell on 30 Rock it was practically a thing to make fun of Kenneth, who as a page was the lowest on the totem pole in the main cast.

It's just really not as simple as people would like to think. "Sarah Silverman is Jewish" isn't the whole story and neither is "punching down is never funny." It's more like "punching down reveals something about the person doing it" and it goes from there -- a heel character not only gets away with it but it can be essential to their characterization.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I believe comedians have the right to joke about anything. We all laugh at all kinds of things that would normally not be laughing matters. Poverty, slavery, the Holocaust, 9/11, natural disasters, people with disabilities, substance abuse, mental health, sex, crime, foreigners, immigrants, racial and ethnic minorities. You get the idea.

Part of making anything funny, especially serious topics, is subverting the audience's perception of those things. This can be done in a number of ways, through exaggeration, reducing it to an absurd or developing a comparison that highlights some kind of hypocrisy.

Comedy is an art as it is a pattern of logic. It has to make sense. You can't get from point A and immediately go to Z and expect to have a good joke or a good reaction.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I believe comedians have the right to joke about anything. We all laugh at all kinds of things that would normally not be laughing matters. Poverty, slavery, the Holocaust, 9/11, natural disasters, people with disabilities, substance abuse, mental health, sex, crime, foreigners, immigrants, racial and ethnic minorities. You get the idea.

Part of making anything funny, especially serious topics, is subverting the audience's perception of those things. This can be done in a number of ways, through exaggeration, reducing it to an absurd or developing a comparison that highlights some kind of hypocrisy.

Comedy is an art as it is a pattern of logic. It has to make sense. You can't get from point A and immediately got to Z and expect to have a good joke or a good reaction.

Women cry rape for money isn't subverting anything... it's reinforcing literally one of the most prevalent assumptions in rape culture.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why stop there, Chris? Why not follow-up with a kitchen joke and then seal the deal with a sandwich joke?

MarkMcLovin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
????
Can you provide an example?
Because I've seen a lot of him and don't think he'd try and make a joke about women lying about rape.

Christ where do I start.

OK, first joke named most brutal joke ever, which it isn't btw. It has child sex abuse, a touch of incest and animal fucking. All in one joke against a kid in the crowd.

Is that not worse or is a joke about a kid fucking a monkey whilst his grandad watches, not as bad as Rock's joke about not employing women to avoid false rape claims?

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I could see where the joke might be going but clearly it was poorly told. It's either go back to the drawing board or toss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.