DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christian Cooper, the bird-watching Black man who was the target of false accusations during an encounter in New York City's Central Park in 2020, has a new TV show airing on National Geographic.

The channel announced this week that Cooper, a lifelong bird-watcher, will host a series called Extraordinary Birder. In the series, Cooper will take viewers into the "wild, wonderful and unpredictable world of birds," according to National Geographic.

"Whether braving stormy seas in Alaska for puffins, trekking into rainforests in Puerto Rico for parrots, or scaling a bridge in Manhattan for a peregrine falcon, he does whatever it takes to learn about these extraordinary feathered creatures and show us the remarkable world in the sky above," the network said in a statement.
The 59-year-old was thrust into the spotlight in May 2020 after Amy Cooper (no relation), a white woman with a dog, called the police saying he threatened her and her dog.

In a video recorded by Christian Cooper, Amy Cooper is shown calling the police, telling 911 dispatchers, "I'm in the Ramble. And there is a man, African American — he has a bicycle helmet. He's recording me and threatening me and my dog."

Amy Cooper was charged with a third-degree misdemeanor over making the false claim, but the charge was later dropped, given her lack of a criminal background.

More at:
www.npr.org

Bird-watcher wrongfully accused in Central Park video gets a bird-watching TV show

In the series, Christian Cooper will take viewers into the "wild, wonderful and unpredictable world of birds," according to National Geographic.

Lock if not new

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
That is rather bizarre but in a good way lol. I fucking love birds too so might tune in. Also, fuck Amy

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I honestly am shocked this didn't already exist for decades on like 6 am PBS.

But okay. Im assuming this isn't because of his incident but because he's a hardcore bird watcher with a good personality but I'm sure people will assume this is because of his contributions to the news.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Good for him.

Now hopefully this doesn't happen again while taping the show. =/

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's very sweet. Hopefully it does well and gets more people interested in birding. There is some justice in the world.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
not sure if they should have a reoccurring "Karen" character as an antagonist who has their incorrect presumptions about birds corrected each episode.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is cool and all but all this bird propaganda is really getting out of hand.

acruztic

Mar 10, 2020
This is pretty cool lol I watched a 10 minute video of him bird watching recorded by Good Morning America. I can see why he was approached to have his own show. Great personality and excitement for birds. I was kept engaged throughout the whole thing.

Edit: video also talks about the incident that took place with the woman who accused him.
m.youtube.com

After racist park encounter, Chris Cooper takes us birding in Central Park l GMA Digital

Chris Cooper’s encounter with a white woman went viral after he asked her to put a leash on her dog and she called the police claiming he was an “African-Ame...

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Happy for him. Love to see a shitty situation turned into something good.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
What a great outcome. I'm glad something good came to the person who was actually treated badly. Usually it's the racist/sexist/bigot/POS that ends up with all the benefits which fucking sucks.

All the best to him and his passion, he deserves it.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I am glad he ended up getting the last laugh, especially after he did not pursue charges and then she tried to sue him.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
LOL this was not the ending I expected!

Good for him, glad it everything worked out in this case (especially with how badly it could've ended...)

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
A bird is watching you right now
8241385133_4e0255fb14_z.jpg