• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Very nice! I look forward to see what they'll have in development (hopefully very soon) and that they're still open to working with Sega (and vice versa).

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, that logo needs a redesign. While obviously not nearly as bad, it has the same "feel" to it as some other Sonic-adjacent logos, which is not a good thing.

gDryCGr.jpg

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
While the logos of Mania were made by PagodaWest Games, Headcannon and Christian Whitehead (And Hyperkinetic on Mania Plus), there were a whole bunch of people, like Hunter and Brad, who were massive parts of the game, but were effectively contractors on the bottom line. This is effectively bringing them under a true studio banner, along with Dave (Hyperkinetic's original CEO) and Tom Fry (Pagoda West's original Art Directer and Co-Founder) which helps all the people under it.

Doesn't mean they're not working on other stuff either, Whitehead has been working in part on Freedom Planet 2's 2D Framework. As a collective they can come on for Mania 2, or they can go make whatever they want, really.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what Simon Thombley/Stealth is doing since he's not a part of this collective? Working on his own game under Headcannon I presume.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
SEGA fucking wasted the opportunity to do a followup to Sonic Mania.

Anyway, I hope Evening Star can make something amazing. They probably will.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I don't see how this precludes Sonic Mania 2. If anything it makes it easier to hire the team again.

Oct 31, 2017
Evening should be orange and purple and Star should be white and gray. Also just simplify the overall look of the logo and it might be decent. Current version ain't so hot.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if this were 20 years ago i would hope to hear a sick midi rendition of evening star from knuckles chaotix playing on their site

either way, really excited for whatever this team makes next. more sonic would of course be very welcome, but i have no doubt they could make something cool all their own as well.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I'm guessing we'll see a new IP first then another classic Sonic game. Not sure why people assume that this means there's not gonna be a Mania successor.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Retro alerted me that the Evening Star track was also used in the ill-fated prototype Sonic 4 on the Megadrive Sonic Crackers. And we know how the Mania team love their obscure Sonic references. Could this mean Sonic Mania's successor is a true sequel with all-original levels? One can dream.

SXSW will probably confirm if Sega's working with them - and thus may confirm this theory. Guess we'll see then.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Of fucking course SEGA let them go. It must be their working MO these days to only make bad Sonic games and chuck any signs of success.

I wish Christian & co. all the best with their new studio. Sounds like they're working on something cool.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
These men have my trust, so I'll buy whatever they decide to make next.

In regards to SEGA, them being under one studio might actually make it easier to outsource to now versus contracting everyone individually.
That's actually what I was thinking. In theory, it should be easier to contract them for Sonic Mania 2.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome news. And as great as Mania was and I'd be all over Mania 2, I hope these guys do their own new game first. They deserve to own a bigger piece of their success.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
If Sega's suits were smarter, they'd buy them out and christen these guys as the new Sonic Team.

Not until Evening Star can prove they can resurrect Billy Hatcher, too.

Sonic Retro alerted me that the Evening Star track was also used in the ill-fated prototype Sonic 4 on the Megadrive Sonic Crackers. And we know how the Mania team love their obscure Sonic references. Could this mean Sonic Mania's successor is a true sequel with all-original levels? One can dream.

SXSW will probably confirm if Sega's working with them - and thus may confirm this theory. Guess we'll see then.

If it was any other collective, I'd make a joke about reaching, but it's Whitehead & crew. These are the guys that snuck in the exact buzzing from the disastrous Sonic Mania reveal stream into the game itself after beating a TV Studio level. It's weird to permanently name your company after a one-time tease fr a new game, but I'd buy it being an intentional Sonic Crackers nod.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I loved Sonic Mania I want those guys to make new things and not be stuck making nostalgia bait forever.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Why are folks in this thread interpreting this announcement as "confirmed: Christian Whitehead isn't doing Sonic Mania 2"?

Yes, they have their own studio now but couldn't SEGA now hire this studio to make the next game similar to SORA working on Smash Bros Wii U and Ultimate?

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Mania 2 almost sounds like a given; easy money, and establishes the studio name with at least one successful title. I look forward to what they do next

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Shit Ken Penders, isn't he the dude that tried to sue Sega for the rights to all the shitty characters in the sonic comics? Lol

Successfully sued. He managed to get the rights to his characters and completely kill the Archie Sonic comics, which is why IDW publishes the Sonic comics now.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Jesus, I can't believe or understand that he won.

I can. Archie never copied their contract with Penders & lost the original, so they couldn't refute his bold claims in court. It's that simple.

Thankfully SEGA had enough ammunition on their side to counter his "Evil Sonic is my own original character" claim.

388px-SonictheHedgehog_Archie_US_024.jpg

Pictured: Evil Sonic. Also Evil Tails & Evil Sally, plus their "good" counterparts. Robotnik's right, though, I can't tell the difference between the good guys & the bad!

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I can. Archie never copied their contract with Penders & lost the original, so they couldn't refute his bold claims in court. It's that simple.

Thankfully SEGA had enough ammunition on their side to counter his "Evil Sonic is my own original character" claim.

Pictured: Evil Sonic. Also Evil Tails & Evil Sally, plus their "good" counterparts. Robotnik's right, though, I can't tell the difference between the good guys & the bad!
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks, what a gigantic fuck up.

Man, that evil character shit is such b.s glad he didn't get away with that huge reach. A character in a different costume isn't a new character.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Why does this affect chances of sonic mania 2? Sega hired all these folks for the first one, they certainly aren't all internal sega devs.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Why does this affect chances of sonic mania 2? Sega hides all these folks for the first one, they certainly aren't all internal sega devs.

It doesn't.

Sega can outsource Evening Star just the same they outsourced the same group of people individually like they did for the first Sonic Mania.

The only difference in this case which makes things easier is, now they can subcontract to Evening Star the company as a whole instead of individual contracts split up of many people.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
May they shine bright like a chaos emerald.

I like the new name.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Oh look, it's Original the Character.

I hope Evening Star makes a game out of him!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am certain this actually makes a followup to Sonic Mania a lot more likely honestly. Working with a dozen or whatever random designers was likely a logistics nightmare.

I would prefer they make their own original IP in the meantime before returning to Sonic though. I also hope that if they return to Sonic that it is not a Mania 2. I rather see them make a new one from the ground up or perhaps look into remaking something like Triple Trouble or Chaotix.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what Simon Thombley/Stealth is doing since he's not a part of this collective? Working on his own game under Headcannon I presume.

Knowing him he's more than content just working under his own brand and doing his own projects, though I imagine he'd gladly team up with Evening Star for another SEGA-funded Sonic game again no problem.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The most important part of this news that people aren't processing: Simon Thomley, the father of the Sonic Hacking scene and undisputed king of Sonic knowledge, didn't leave Headcannon for this.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
They were flexing so hard on Sonic Team Sega wouldn't allow them to do Mania 2. Don't worry guys, well get Sonic Mania 2 from Sonic Team instead. I hope Sega knows what its doing.

I looks forward to what the team does next. I'm all for a 2D Sonic clone that can compete with Freedom Planet and the like.

Oct 29, 2017
Great news! Nice to see Christian Whitehead finally get to found a studio of his own; instead of having to do everything adhoc.

I'm expecting great things to come from this!

The most important part of this news that people aren't processing: Simon Thomley, the father of the Sonic Hacking scene and undisputed king of Sonic knowledge, didn't leave Headcannon for this.

That's what surprised me the most. I was expecting to see him there...

Suppose it's always possible that he might join them later, or might work with them as a freelancer. Perhaps he just values his independence too much to join them as staff?