• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I debated if I should be the one to make this thread or not, but it is new news.

Christophe Gans, the director of the 2006 Silent Hill movie (had no involvement with the 2012 Silent Hill Revelations 3D) sat down for a 50 minute video interview with JEUXACTU (French website) because his movie, Le Pacte des Loups (great film, one of Bloodborne's inspirations), is getting re-released into France theaters currently. Can see the interview here, but the video is region restricted for most territories (not France though), and the entire interview is in French:

However, there is a part of the interview where he talks very directly about Silent Hill. I got this confirmed by a few French speakers myself that this is what he was saying, but a proper written translation bringing attention to this was first provided by a very niche gaming site named, "Gamingsym", their article is here: https://gamingsym.in/christophe-gans-confirms-that-konami-is-working-well-on-several-games/

And Gamingsym's translation of what Gans says, which I've had confirmed is accurate from all who I've checked with. What he says:
In fact, what happens is that… And we know it, it's in the thing… The franchise (Silent Hill, editor's note) is going to be relaunched in terms of video games, and therefore the film will become part of a global policy. I believe that on a forum, someone deduced that and he is absolutely right; in other words, the film is indeed part of a whole. I'm not saying that it was Konami who asked us to make a new film, it just so happens that a few months before the start of the pandemic, we are at the beginning of 2020, with Victor Hadida, following the death of Samuel (Hadida, his big brother editor's note), we went through all the rights that Samuel had acquired and we said to ourselves… We have the Fatal Frame franchise and the Silent Hill license, we have to do something about it.
What I can say is that the film is rolling. I work with Konami. Konami's are all about it and I think they've been galvanized by the success of the Resident Evil 2 and 3 reboots, which are marvelous games, we have to give Caesar what belongs to Caesar.

In basic, he talks about how he's gained the rights to use the Silent Hill IP from Konami & the Fatal Frame IP from Tecmo officially, he's doing the Silent Hill movie first and it's "further along than just talks". He then says on online forums, there'd been deductions (rumors) that his film is part of a larger "Global Policy" for a revival of the franchise, and confirms the online rumors are true, that there's several Silent Hill projects in the works (even specifically confirms there's Silent Hill video games in the works). He also mentions Resident Evil directly, saying Konami had looked at the recent Resident Evil 2 Remake and other things for how to revive a horror IP. He didn't pitch his Silent Hill movie to be part of this initiative to revive the series, it just so happened the timing ended up working out so his film became part of a bigger multi-project effort to revive the series.

More smoke, as it were. Maybe too much smoke.

Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just the length of this rumor that makes me hesitant to fully believe it because we have been going back and forth on it for what feels like years, but man there's just waaaaaay too much smoke for there not to be a fire

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I JUST WANT TO SEE SOMETHING CONFIRMED.

this shit is torture now lol

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Until I see it, I won't believe it.

But then again, we are getting Persona on Xbox now, so anything in the world is possible.

Pico

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm isn't that enough for Konami to oust him of the project? lol
I like his movies and despite its flaws, his Silent Hill take was rather good. Allez Christophe !

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
start with one really good come back game and then work from there doods. this strategy almost never works out. you just end up stretching yourself out and everything ends up mid

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm isn't that enough for Konami to oust him of the project? lol

I don't think the Hollywood/Film Industry is nearly as secretive of their projects as the games industry. Unless there's an NDA at play (which I doubt) I don't think it's gonna be a biggie lol. Besides this SH revival initiative has been an open secret for years

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I bet that in the next Playstation Showcase we will see some of them.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm that this is exactly what he said in the interview.

And this is a fucking great interview, by the way. Coud listen to Gans talking about his passion projects for hours.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Cannot believe SH of all video games got such a tiresome rumor mill saga.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
giphy.webp

Can confirm that this is exactly what he said in the interview.

And this is a fucking great interview, by the way. Coud listen to Gans talking about his passion projects for hours.

Between this and Norman Reedus, Hollywood doesn't give a fuck.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Gans has Silent Hill and Fatal Frame? Crap :/ Can we have anyone else? Like...anyone?
Why Harry became Rose:

It quickly became clear however Harry never acted like a masculine character. He was constantly dizzy, fainting, talking to himself, screaming and in fact was very vulnerable. We didn't want to betray the nature of the game by changing the character's feelings and motivations, so we felt it was better to change to a female protagonist and retain all those important qualities. I don't want people to think that I have been "politically correct" because we changed Harry into Rose. There is no political correctness in Silent Hill.
—Christophe Gans

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Wanna remind everyone that Gans' Brotherhood of the Wolf is a fucking dope movie.

MV5BNTkxMjg5MDYtZDkyMS00NjFlLTk5YTItMWUyOTNkOTg4YmRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
These are the sort of leaks that are believable; someone who is divorced from the game industry just saying whatever because they either don't know it is meant to be a secret or they don't care. Its not like he is chasing clout or attention or anything, he is just making a casual statement in an interview.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Is.... is this Bloodborne?

Did we manage to join the two rumors finally?
Funnily enough, Gans' movie is one of Bloodborne's inspirations, so there is a bit of humor here in how directly he's tied to the horror gaming scene at this point (making two Silent Hill movies now, a Fatal Frame movie, made a movie that was one of Bloodborne's bigger inspirations, that hasn't been "officially" ever confirmed I think but it's really obvious when you see the movie).

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I want to feel sorry for SH fans but this shit is too funny

Last edited:

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
This sounds great. Was really disappointed he was out of the second movie. SH1 was pretty good. Also too much smoke about a new game to not be true.

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say Brotherhood of the Wolf is one of my fav films and I found it so random when it was up on Vudu's new releases within the last year. Of course I snagged a disc to digital discount and rewatched it.

A 4k release would be sweet.

Cool news btw, lol.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I wish they got someone more fitting than Christophe Gans to do the film, though. Silent Hill (2006) was unsubtle, tropey, and more of a slasher-ish blockbuster film than the psychological horror the games were.

Aside from that, my only concern is that I hope those quotes aren't saying Konami is copying the modern Resident Evil games and Resident Evil 2 directly.

My opinion on upcoming projects in general:
  • Rooting for the Masahiro Ito and Sony game the most.
  • An Annapurna Interactive Silent Hill definitely sounds interesting.
  • Less positive on the Bloober Team game.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they got someone more fitting than Christophe Gans to do the film, though. Silent Hill (2006) was unsubtle, tropey, and more of a slasher-ish blockbuster film than the psychological horror the games were.

Aside from that, my only concern is that I hope those quotes aren't saying Konami is copying the modern Resident Evil games and Resident Evil 2 directly.

My opinion on upcoming projects in general:
  • Rooting for the Masahiro Ito and Sony game the most.
  • An Annapurna Interactive Silent Hill definitely sounds interesting.
  • Less positive on the Bloober Team game.
This is just a bit of my opinion, but I'm keeping in mind that the 2000s were a rough period for horror films in general, they tended to go for this certain overtly color tinted look, with slasher elements mixed with over-the-top violence, certain filming techniques, etc. I think the 2006 SH movie sorta' reflected what a lot of horror in the 2000s looked like, just with enough SH influence & aesthetic over it to keep it a bit more interesting than some other output in the same year (and even though I know fans have big issues with the less interesting & more streamlined approach to the cult by basically making it a witch trial thing and making Alessa evil & a threat, the actual story of the movie is relatively easy to follow & well told, with some good character & narrative moments).

I can comment that your concern you don't need to worry too much about. While they looked at RE, there's also been to my understanding a lot of focus on what made Silent Hill itself good to begin with and strike with so many. To see how the various devs pull off their visions, but they are there to make Silent Hill games, and not Resident Evil games.

Sep 23, 2018
Cool, seems like good news to me!
Ive always counted myself as a fan of his first SH film. It nailed some of the aspects of the game visually and with sound design + music. The atmosphere was there and it seemed well cast overall so I'm optimistic about him returning to the series.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
This is just a bit of my opinion, but I'm keeping in mind that the 2000s were a rough period for horror films in general, they tended to go for this certain overtly color tinted look, with slasher elements mixed with over-the-top violence, certain filming techniques, etc. I think the 2006 SH movie sorta' reflected what a lot of horror in the 2000s looked like, just with enough SH influence & aesthetic over it to keep it a bit more interesting than some other output in the same year (and even though I know fans have big issues with the less interesting & more streamlined approach to the cult by basically making it a witch trial thing and making Alessa evil & a threat, the actual story of the movie is relatively easy to follow & well told, with some good character & narrative moments).
Christophe Gans is sort of like the Dario Argento of France in a way. He's a strong visual artist but a poor writer/storyteller, which makes him a bad fit for Silent Hill in my opinion. This can also be seen in his most recent film Beauty and the Beast (2014). The 2006 film did a good job with the aesthetics, but was otherwise a poor adaptation with a cheesy script.

Some of what he's saying about the new film sounds promising, though. He said that the first film felt "very 2000s" and he was impressed by how original and surprising some modern horror films have been, and he wants to make a Silent Hill film for modern audiences like that. If he's talking about films like Midsommar, The VVitch, The Babadook, Twin Peaks: The Return, ETC, then he at least has the right ideas/influences. My main concern is just whether Gans can pull it off.

Based on his statements about the town having intersecting dimensions like The Twilight Zone and being "ravaged by Puritanism," I'm not expecting it to be any better than Silent Hill (2006) in terms of lore accuracy. But hopefully it will be more faithful to the substance of the source material in ways the 2006 film wasn't.

I can comment that your concern you don't need to worry too much about. While they looked at RE, there's also been to my understanding a lot of focus on what made Silent Hill itself good to begin with and strike with so many. To see how the various devs pull off their visions, but they are there to make Silent Hill games, and not Resident Evil games
This is genuinely reassuring, thank you.