• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/christopher-nolan-dunkirk-oscars-movies-tv-spielberg-1202607836/

"At a time when there's all kinds of storytelling around, movies that gravitate toward things that only movies can do carve out a place for themselves," Nolan tells Variety during a wide-ranging interview at this year's Toronto Film Festival. "As a director, I try to show people things they've never seen before."

"We're thrown on the beach with these characters without knowing much about them," says cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema. "Everything comes at you, and it's immediate and visceral. We took away anything personal or sentimental."

He has, after all, refused to work with Netflix and accused the streaming giant of trying to shut down theaters, calling its decision to forgo cinemas for a straight-to-subscriber launch "mindless." But he's since softened his tone, insisting he chose his words poorly during a media tour for "Dunkirk." He went so far as to email Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos an apology.

"I should have been more polite," admits Nolan. "I said what I believe, but I was undiplomatic in the way I expressed it. I wasn't giving any context to the frankly revolutionary nature of what Netflix has done. It's extraordinary. They need appropriate respect for that, which I have."

"My entire adult life they have released straight-to-video films," he says. "As a filmmaker, when I was starting out in the '90s, your nightmare was the straight-to-video release. There's nothing new about it — what's different and new about it is selling it to Wall Street as innovation or disruption."

"Every other industry, whether it's the car industry or whatever, controls when a product is launched. The idea that the film business should forget that and just throw everything together at the same time makes no sense," Nolan says. "It's not good business, and people will realize that eventually."

Nolan, however, refuses to believe the downturn is systemic. People love going to the movies, he says. It's just a question of scheduling. The lack of a "Suicide Squad" in August depressed box office returns, he argues, but another "Star Wars" film in December will help end the year on a high note. Yet he concedes that the drive on the part of studios to deliver consistent returns makes them cautious. It all leads to a glut of superhero franchises (a model that treated Nolan quite well with the "Dark Knight" trilogy) and not enough brave new things.

"You have to have a healthy balance," he says. "Along with giving people what they liked before, you have to offer them surprise."

Long article

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I love Christopher Nolan movies but it seems like he is biased due to past history about how content is released these days.

The theatre used to be a special experience but for most people I know they only go to the movies when they are excited about the movie and don't want to wait for it to hit redbox or whatever. Many of us have good movie viewing setups in our home. It's too expensive to go.

For me, going to the theatre is an inconvenience that I only put up with once a year or so for movies that I need to see asap.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
He's incredibly off base with saying digital is not good business, and eventually people will realize it. People aren't going to magically have more time. Convenience will always win. I get his bias towards the old ways but c'mon, man.

I think it's a lot easier for Nolan to appreciate the virtues of theatrical exhibition when he's not having to face the same kind of obstacles that the public at large do, and it borders on him not having any kind of perspective into those issues at all. The bit about him asking Spielberg for a barely-screened print of Saving Private Ryan is really telling in that regard, as does him using the comparison point of how the book industry still does an initial hardcover release for a book before a softcover, ignoring the impact that e-books have had on that industry and how it's been able to adapt.

And as someone who absolutely treasures the theatrical experience above all others for watching film, VOD and streaming have been crucial for me to expand my horizons even further in appreciating the medium as an artform, especially for foreign films that never have any hope of leaving the NY/LA stomping grounds. I don't think he realizes how transforming and truly beneficial digital has been for film lovers.

Last edited:

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I literally wouldn't be able to see half the movies that I want to see annually without digital platforms. I don't think Nolan and his ilk understand how dire the theater experience is outside of big cities.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Nolan, but I have to admit that his newer movies didn't grab me like his older ones. Memento, Prestige and Batman Begins made him what he is today, for me personally, and not TDK, Inception and Interstellar.
Nevertheless he is still a great director, who I admire and his movies are still good.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its a weird thing, i go to the theater almost religiously(imax too but i find im enjoying the movies i wait for the bd releases a lot more.
i actually enjoyed valerian at home, for whatever reason and im damn near certain id hate it if went out to see it

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable, he's used to a certain format. And obviously he's a director that can command huge fee's for his services, so probably worried that will go away or change.

Yeah, resistance to change.

Fact of the matter is though, it's working because people are paying for it. And people can't be as bothered to pirate when you pay £6 a month and stream everything in your house.

People are fed up of paying £15 a movie and having to go out to the cinema and sit with other people. And Netflix has made some fucking great content.

Not dissimilar to the music industry pushing back on stuff like Napster back in the day. Blew up in their faces though. They had a chance to have a say in all of that stuff and got greedy, now they just moan about Spotify.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Nah fam. I dig his movies as much as the next guy, but I wish I didn't have to go to a theater to see new movies. What Netflix is doing is great and the first studio that steps up to the plate with a solid distribution model for "home theater" experience, I'm there day and date.

I understand that's difficult with huge $200m films, but the VOD model would perfectly fit many of the best films of the year. Ladybird and Three Billboards are in theaters now. Let me watch them in my bed.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theater will always be the optimal viewing experience for me. Watching the original Blade Runner on the big screen recently just cemented that for me.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
I think his one main point Nolan is saying is that there is a less clear distinction between a theoratically released movie and a straight-to-video movie with Netflix movies as they're all released on the same platform. There isn't like a different category for a high budget Netflix movie and a low budget one, they're all just Netflix movies which then leads to the user being less likely to experience the arguablely better made films.

Another argument is most likely that watching a Netflix movie only allows you to watch it at home and so the makers of the film are less likely to both with the high end visual and audio presentation that you would mainly get to appreciate when watching the movie in the cinema. For example, watching Dunkirk for the first time in the cinema made the experience all that more powerful which wouldn't have been the same if I was to watch it at home for the first time. Being that Nolan always goes the extra mile with this by using iMax cameras and using as little CGI as possibly, I can see which this is a concern of his as Netflix is kind of a competition to cinema which is something that he's very passionate about.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix movies aren't (all) straight to vid type stuff. Still seems like old man yelling at clouds type complaining about a recent phenomena.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't Netflix or the market, it's Nolan being resistance to change while not realising that people are getting sick of having to go out and spend load of money on tickets prices+overpriced snacks and then having to deal with other people ruining the movie experience.

There's a reason why Netflix and other streaming services are popular with the market, it offers them value for money.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't he receive a cut of whatever Netflix makes if he were to produce some films for them?
He doesn't need to care about that. He's about the purity of the viewing experience as it has been known until Netflix and the like came along. It's just goofy to me. It's an inferior experience in all ways except the size of the screen if you have a nice setup at home. I get his position, but naw.

Mario's Nipples

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
France
He doesn't need to care about that. He's about the purity of the viewing experience as it has been known until Netflix and the like came along. It's just goofy to me. It's an inferior experience in all ways except the size of the screen if you have a nice setup at home. I get his position, but naw.
The cinemas is, sadly, a dying thing. It's far easier, much cheaper, and more comfortable to stream at home. Not necessarily Netflix, either, but services like FandangoNOW and Vudu. Nolan needs to realise that home cinema is the future. As you said, with the right set up, the experience can be far super than a trip to the cinema.

I think his one main point Nolan is saying is that there is a less clear distinction between a theoratically released movie and a straight-to-video movie with Netflix movies as they're all released on the same platform. There isn't like a different category for a high budget Netflix movie and a low budget one, they're all just Netflix movies which then leads to the user being less likely to experience the arguablely better made films.

Another argument is most likely that watching a Netflix movie only allows you to watch it at home and so the makers of the film are less likely to both with the high end visual and audio presentation that you would mainly get to appreciate when watching the movie in the cinema. For example, watching Dunkirk for the first time in the cinema made the experience all that more powerful which wouldn't have been the same if I was to watch it at home for the first time. Being that Nolan always goes the extra mile with this by using iMax cameras and using as little CGI as possibly, I can see which this is a concern of his as Netflix is kind of a competition to cinema which is something that he's very passionate about.

Your first comment seems strange since it's assuming that DTV films are, by nature, inferior experiences to ones that get theatrical releases. This wasn't necessarily true even back when they were a new idea and especially now, with how much investment has gone into those kinds of films from companies like Netflix and Amazon, the line between them has been completely obliterated. Secondly, a budget hardly dictates quality, given that the most widely praised film of all of last year, Moonlight, was made for less than $2 million and it was a one of the best looking films of that year, easily.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Your first comment seems strange since it's assuming that DTV films are, by nature, inferior experiences to ones that get theatrical releases. This wasn't necessarily true even back when they were a new idea and especially now, with how much investment has gone into those kinds of films from companies like Netflix and Amazon, the line between them has been completely obliterated. Secondly, a budget hardly dictates quality, given that the most widely praised film of all of last year, Moonlight, was made for less than $2 million.
Well this is why I said "arguably better"...albeit spelt wrong. Sure there are great low-budget and straight-to-video movies but I'd argue that there are far more bad movie within those categories than high budget cinema released movies. Again, just my opinion but I felt this is what Nolan was suggesting.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I literally wouldn't be able to see half the movies that I want to see annually without digital platforms. I don't think Nolan and his ilk understand how dire the theater experience is outside of big cities.

Boom.
I get what Nolan is saying, but honestly his perspective feels really out of touch with why streaming services really work for the consumer.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think I'll skip Scorsese's DTV Netflix release.

Edit: More seriously though I do think there is maybe something to the point that film's intended to be shown on the big screen have traditionally possessed a different visual language than DTV movies or TV shows. I would say that's mostly due to budget, shooting schedules, talent attracted, commercial focus, history of their respective mediums etc rather than any deliberate film making decision to artificially limit oneself to work within the limited screen space. Much of this has changed over the past decade. I know many disagree but for me, good films when viewed on the small screen remain as engrossing as my experience of watching them on the cinema screen. The difference lies in the communal experience provided by the cinema theatre.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an inferior experience in all ways except the size of the screen if you have a nice setup at home.
As you said, with the right set up, the experience can be far super than a trip to the cinema.

What is your nice/right setup?
IMAX-Loudspeakers-resize.jpg

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think Nolan is full of shit comparing Netflix to "Direct to Video" trash entertainment. Fukanaga's Beasts of No Nation is just as worthy as any other film.

Declining ticket sales is because of the advent of better technology. Until the late 2000s everyone pretty much had crappy 480p TVs and seeing a film in the theater just was a better experience where you could be fully immersed and see every detail. Now everyone's pretty much got 1080 and if you've upgraded in this last year probably 4K. Home's can do a solid job of letting you fully enjoy a film.

Now I bought a MoviePass subscription and absolutely love it because I like seeing films that are new, it's fun to post on the internet my thoughts on it. But that service is a mere $10 a month giving me the ability to see a movie everyday. If it wasn't for MoviePass the only film I probably would have seen in the theaters was The Last Jedi. Because the theater experience is only worth 3 bucks to me, where in the 2000s it was easily worth $10 hell sometimes $15 for admission.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
There is quite a big issue with costs and the cinema too. Everything is priced according to block buster event films and the big experience, when actually for a lot of films I'd just like a decent screen and the focus a cinema gives you. I'm not happy forking out £20-30+ for two people when a HD rental at home is £5 for everyone you can fit round the TV though. It's detrimental to certain types of film too, because they can't get the revenue they used to from a cinema release because people don't see the value in seeing a drama at £10-£15 each.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
People love going to the movies, he says

Is this really true? It's not for me at least.

Every time I go to the cinema it's a 50/50 on whether you'll be sat next to someone apparently just there to have a chat (My main memory of watching Dunkirk is asking various people to stop talking). The food and drinks are awful and expensive, and you have to get there at the right time, but they don't actually tell you what time the movie starts, you have to guess how much advertising they'll play beforehand. Not to mention how expensive tickets are nowadays, for me and my flatmates to go to the cinema together probably costs about as much as 4 months of our Netflix sub, if not more. Need the loo? You'll just have to miss part of the movie.

If there was an option to watch movies at home day one I'd take it 100% of the time. No big screen and sound system, but it's worth it for avoiding all the hassle of going to the cinema. It's an awful experience compared to watching a movie on Netflix.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I like going to the cinema when everything goes smoothly, but man sometimes people really get in the way of enjoying a good movie.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact is that ticket sales have been stagnant/decline for well over a decade now. This summer, even including Nolan's Dunkirk, had the worst ticket sales in TWENTY-TWO YEARS. The low cost and high availability of streaming and on-demand programs is huge, and the wait for movies to go from theaters to home in HD quality is shorter than ever. In the 80s, you had wait 10 months to get a crummy VHS. Now I stream a 1080p cut of American Made 90 days after its OW. Movies are movies, no matter the format(although if you watch them on your phone, you're a monster). In the comfort of ya own home, with no loud kids or excessive snacking or cell phones going off.

And I hate the insuitation that a Netflix film is some cheap direct-to-video crummy release. Netflix has given $125 million dollars to Scorsese to do a gangster epic starring Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, and Harvey Keitel. There's a new Coen Brothers western mini-series coming in 2018. Will Smith starring cop thriller cost them $80m and debuts this month. Netflix(and Amazon) have backed some of the most original, daring, and best pictures of the last few years, working with Damien Chazelle, David Ayer, Bong Joon-Ho, Duncan Jones, Park Chan-Wook, Terry Gilliam, Noah Baumach, Woody Allen, Richard Linklater, Gareth Evans, Jeremy Saulnier, Dee Rees, etc. The cinematic world is better off having more work from these directors than going through the tired, risk-averse Hollywood system and trying to get their films made.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love films and games and I want to enjoy both at highest quality available. That means going to cinema and playing nonexclusives on PC. So I agree with him, and I hope there are lot of people like me so that the theatre experience can be sustained.
Loved Dunkirk in true 70mm Imax, I had to drive 90 kilometers for it but it was 100% worth it, if only more films were such experiences.

That said I am lucky in that people in my country are apparently well behaved, because in the 50+ films I saw in cinema in the last couple years, only once did I have morons there disturbing others. It was during Guardians 2. The film itself was pretty bad in its second half too, surprisingly.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming platforms (and cable networks) are starting to really benefit the lower and mid budget market to an extent now

Netflix has been enticing a lot of talent who I imagine have had their problems in the last few years with the bigger studios in getting certain things made.

I could totally see lynch getting a movie made for Netflix in the next few years. Or seeing Mann or Soderbergh end up making a movie on that service for their next project

Nothing beats the theater tho imo but I like how much opportunity Amazon and Netflix are giving right now to artists.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is this really true? It's not for me at least.
It is for me.
When I first started working and was making good money with no bills I was at the theater nearly every Thursday at midnight(by myself even).

I have had to cut back but im there for every big movie in the year, especially stuff like Star Wars the theater and audience make up like 75% of the enjoyment personally.
Imo the theater experience can make even technically low tier stuff(or already great stuff) better.

Food being ridiculously overpriced is the only negative imo, it just keeps going up and up every year.

Last edited:

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they cut ticket prices in half, I might be willing to give this the time of day.

Meanwhile, back in my private home where I can smoke, drink alcohol, use an actual kitchen, can pause or rewind with ease, and have no contact with the general public, having neither to check my behavior nor tolerate theirs, I'm enjoying many forms of digital, on-demand content representing a whole strata of quality types for the discerning snob.