• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Aw, that's sad. I really appreciated all his work in continuing research on his father's work and finishing some of his stories. Remember quite liking Children of Hurin.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The guy always seemed painstaking in how he handled his father's work. A good family legacy.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
RIP, I know a lot of people thought he was "uptight" for being so protective of his father's work but he put a lot of work in maintaining its integrity and his own research that is part of the greater work, he could've sold out the estate for a fuck ton of money if he wanted.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see him pass on.
He deserves tremendous respect for treating his fathers legacy with so much care, protecting it instead of simply trying to cash in on it. like a lot of heirs to famous artists.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
This is a big loss for Tolkien's work (both of them). He did an amazing job carrying the torch and not just living off of his inheritance.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

I'm very happy that he was able to see this come to fruition before he died. He seemed full of joy at seeing the tapestries.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rest now, son of Tolkien. May you see the sunrise in the west and walk upon soft green grass in the Gardens of Lorien.

Last edited:

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Big loss for the estate. Who carries on the works now? Wasn't one of the grandsons disowned? I recall that grandson put out a work of fiction like 15 years ago or something, but don't recall it ever amounting to much.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
L2woS95.gif

Rest in peace :( The Middle-earth legendarium wouldn't be what it is today without him. I can only hope the next generation of the Tolkien Estate can do half as good of a job as he did keeping his father's legacy intact.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
May you rest beyond the confines of this world, Christopher.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. Will always appreciate how seriously he took being the custodian of his fathers work. Pretty much everything he did helped to enhance it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Big loss for the estate. Who carries on the works now? Wasn't one of the grandsons disowned? I recall that grandson put out a work of fiction like 15 years ago or something, but don't recall it ever amounting to much.
He stepped down as director of the Estate a while ago now. His sister, wife, Simon Tolkien and Adam Tolkien are the ones who will carry the Estate forward.

There will be no further works released I presume. The Fall of Gondolin will be last posthumously published work by J.R.R Tolkien.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
He set the standard on how to curate and maintain an author's legacy.

Many would have inherited what he did and run it all into the ground for a payday, Hobbit Movie Trilogy-style.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
RIP

I never realized he was that old. He did a lot of good work perserving his fathers legacy.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP.

Did he have any children?

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I never realized how old he was. I mean, I should have, I guess. I suppose that I never really thought about it. Still, RIP.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

He and Simon reconciled
While his grandfather died in 1973, aged 81, his 87 year-old father is still alive and the pair have since "sorted out all our differences". He dedicated his latest book to him.

"I think I see life from a different perspective," he said.

"I guess I just feel lucky that I got the chance to put things right with my dad. I got the chance to tell him that I love him and I'm proud of him.

"But I'm grateful that he took the time to read my books and tell me that he liked them. That made me feel very fulfilled."

Oct 27, 2017
RIP

He did great work for the Middle-Earth universe. I've only read the LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit, but I'll definitely get around to reading Christopher's contributions one day.

Last edited:

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The importance of this man to what we know as the Tolkien Legendariun cannot be understated. That we even got a published Silmarillion out of myriad of unfinished (and sometimes contradictory) writings speaks to the quality of the work he did in taking care of his father's legacy. He set the standard.

RIP, Christopher. Mine was a brighter life by having known your father's work through you. NamƔriƫ.

"...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise."

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
"Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
RIP. He may have been a little too protective of his father's work at times, but no one can deny the passion and love he had for it. He truly cared about the world of Middle Earth. It was only through him that we got a much deeper dive into the lore of the world, and that was no easy feat. I hope he is remembered for years to come as the gold standard on how to handle a legendary author's estate.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
RIP

The Tolkien legacy shines to this day due to his own work and his curation of his father's work. I have so much respect for him

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
He approached J.R.R. Tolkien's unpublished work with an academic and philological seriousness that rival his father's own studies into ancient languages and manuscripts, and because of that we know more about the mythopoetic and philological development of Middle-earth than we ever would otherwise.

As a Tolkien fan it's hard to imagine a world without The Silmarillion, but without Christopher it doesn't exist.

RIP.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
One of my fondest moments in recent years was going to the forest in the summer with a copy of Morgoth's Ring and just marvelling at Christopher's analysis of his father's work. That was a lovely summer's day...

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Thoughts go out to his family friends.

He did a fantastic job maintaining the legacy of his father. I've been meaning to read the Silmarillion again for a number of years. I think I'll make that my next read.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I honestly did not know he was in his 90's. RIP, and glad he was able to live a long life. What he's done to keep Middle Earth going for a second lifetime has been wonderful.