• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
why not? It's been insulting my intelligence since 1999

41-village21.jpg

CT.329.png

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
The Last Jedi? Come now Chrono Cross wasn't that bad. Actually it was incredible (in many ways, yeah that pink dog thing not so much)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think there ever was much fuss about what CC did to the CT characters and lore and all that. not enough to be 'a thing'

like when people say "man zelda 2 gets so much flak for being different, but y'know i think it's actually great" when it's a pretty unanimously praised game all around save for one or two odd detractors

Oct 27, 2017
One thing no one can deny is that Chrono Cross has one of the best soundtracks ever. TLJ has nothing even 1/1000th that special. Even though Cross the game isn't that great, TLJ doesn't deserve to be compared to it.

True, love its soundtrack. Mitsuda is just too good. I've only ever fully played Chrono Cross once, and that was when it first released. I've made some attempts at a replay over the years, but every time I do I end up just switching over to a good game with a Mitsuda soundtrack.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well considering TLJ had a space car chase in light speed, which was completely ridiculous and not to mention bombs falling onto a ship in zero gravity and really misplaced humor that does not belong in a Star Wars film. Due to these and other factors I would have to disagree as ChronoCross is actually a good game and TLJ is a bad Star Wars film.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well considering TLJ had a space car chase in light speed, which was completely ridiculous and not to mention bombs falling onto a ship in zero gravity and really misplaced humor that does not belong in a Star Wars film. Due to these and other factors I would have to disagree as ChronoCross is actually a good game and TLJ is a bad Star Wars film.

Ships don't have zero gravity in Star Wars otherwise Han and co. would have been floating in the Falcon

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Y'all, I just gotta say thanks for making me go listen to the Chrono Cross soundtrack. I don't really remember everything I was going through when I played Chrono Cross for the first time, but this soundtrack pulls a lot of emotions out of me.

crossslide

Oct 27, 2017
A polarizing entry that some fans of the previous installment hate for "what it does" to classic characters, while other fans love it for how original and bold it was in trying new things and not rehashing old story templates.

Chrono Cross, just like The Last Jedi, has an aura of "controversy" despite the fact that most reviews, both from professionals and from fans, were actually positive.

I've always thought of CC as part of the same late 90s-early 00s trend of series or genre entries that try to subvert (or "deconstruct") the expectations of their series or genre as Metal Gear Solid 2 a couple years later. To me it's weird that much of the Last Jedi commentary - both positive and negative - doesn't seem to acknowledge the history of this sort of thing in geek media. Actually I think TLJ is a fairly mild example compared to something like MGS2, it's more akin to FFX or FFXII or FFXIII which all play against series expectations with their stories in less blatant ways. Stylistically TLJ also feels very much influenced by anime where it's common to play with expectations like this.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I haven't seen the Last Jedi yet to fully weigh in on this comparison (I don't care about Star Wars), but on its own merits I think CC is still a pretty interesting and worthwhile game.

A lot of the criticisms toward it have some validity but that's kinda the thing. CC is a game of high highs and low lows. IMO at its best it's more compelling and interesting than Trigger, but its low points really suck. Trigger is a more consistent game in terms of quality, and has a broader "feel-good" appeal to it compared to the darker and moodier feel of Cross.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Why wouldn't the mass of a huge starship pull in much smaller bombs that are being dropped from a smaller ship?

Also if you're gonna get snippy about the science not being perfect in star wars I hope you have your rant ready for how Luke is able to use an x-wing to fly from hoth to degobah to bespin with the fuel of a tiny one man fighter. Or how the empire was able to build a battle station the size of a small moon in 20 years that nobody has heard about. I guess the millions of people working on such a project stayed really good about that NDA and worked though some amazing crunch to get it done that quickly. Hell they made 70% of a second one in only a few years.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
These new star wars films are very bad. Not even bad. Very bad. Like kids cartoons in the 80s, they are essentially toy commercials. I... Can hardly identify what would make tlj more or less desirable to its fans but i understand it's divisive. Yes ive seen it.

Chrono Cross was like this wild shot of a series continuation. Its connections to ct were not as obvious as the differences. However it was a good game among it's stablemates of that era. It was as good as ff7 or 8. As good as tactics or vagrant story. Lofty company.

There has got to be a difference between divisise entry in a bad-popular series and a good-popular series. Maybe not, tho. Maybe the quality doesn't matter and this inevitably happens with popular things.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're standing in a spaceship in Star Wars and you drop a pen, the pen will fall and hit the ground. Now imagine if you drop the pen over a hole in the ground. Same thing for the bombs.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time. I bought Chrono Cross when it released, and I loved it. I remember being super hyped for it, and only slightly disappointed that it wasn't a direct follow up to Chrono Trigger, but I loved the game nonetheless. Fantastic game with an interesting story and fun characters.

It's definitely a divisive game, like Last Jedi was a divisive movie. Doesn't make either a bad game or film, but people like to go to the extremes when evaluating entertainment. Many easily equate "I don't like thing," to "thing is bad." And sometimes, yes, thing is objectively bad. A lot of the times it's subjectively bad.

I really need to replay Chrono Cross. It's been a while. I really wish the PS4 had backwards compatibility with PS1 games...

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Then why was TLJ one of the most critically acclaimed in the franchise and why is it consistently ranked as one of the top films in fan polls, including here?
Why would I care about its critical acclaim or fan polls? I watched it, I found some well made bits, some good scenes and some compelling characters, but I also found some horribly forced, utterly uninspired and simply poorly made bits. More of the latter ones than the former ones. I've also read several texts about the film, I recognise that maybe Johnson was trying to do some specific things with this movie (which might matter within the broader SW context, but since I don't really have much affinity for SW, I'm probably not the intended recipient of Johnson's efforts), but nothing I've seen or read has convinced me that it's a good film.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I recently did a laid back playthrough of Chrono Cross and honestly the biggest problem was simply that the game was not complete. The second disc is a single dungeon and the final boss fight, and several massive plot dumps done through text.

The game suffers heavily from square enix's "every game done in 2 years" policy of the time... So the end is cut probably 5-10 hours short and it lacks a lot of overall polish.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
I will never forgive Chrono Cross' horrible battle theme. Never. It might be the worst battle theme in any RPG, ever.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well considering TLJ had a space car chase in light speed, which was completely ridiculous and not to mention bombs falling onto a ship in zero gravity and really misplaced humor that does not belong in a Star Wars film.
I can't believe this shit is still being regurgitated so long after the movie came out XD

GrandHarrier

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross would have been a decent game had it not been a Chrono game.

Chrono Trigger is much better as a stand alone game that ignores Cross having ever existed as it adds nothing of value.

I never understood why people hate Chrono Cross because it wasn't a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger nailed a perfect ending (rare for video games) and I never felt the need to revisit any of the characters.

People who dislike Cross do so because its connection to Trigger exist solely as an exercise in "Remember all the characters from Trigger you loved so much? Please enjoy us shitting all over them and showing you how they all died horrible meaningless deaths lol."

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Cross would have been a decent game had it not been a Chrono game.

Chrono Trigger is much better as a stand alone game that ignores Cross having ever existed as it adds nothing of value.
Not only it is a direct continuation of Trigger, but it offers much of the themes that Trigger sorely needed (lack of consequence, no perspective in the story among them). Trigger is a stronger game for it.

Cross is much more of a sequel than actual sequels. That it isn't about Crono & friends doesn't change anything.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Haters be damned. Cross was great. I didn't hate TLJ either.

I guess I can see why you made the comparison. Both sequels for a lot of people subverted expectations of what the sequel was going to be and where the characters were going. People's views of them might change depending on how sequels turned out. Unfortunately its been so long for Cross that we probably won't get one.

Perhaps some remakes are in order.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not only it is a direct continuation of Trigger, but it offers much of the themes that Trigger sorely needed (lack of consequence, no perspective in the story among them). Trigger is a stronger game for it.

Cross is much more of a sequel than actual sequels. That it isn't about Crono & friends doesn't change anything.

Cross isn't really about anyone.

(In before someone says Serge and Kid, ignoring the 40+ other characters who are completely superfluous to the game.)

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I grew with Chrono Cross.

I dont give a damn about trigger whereas Chrono Cross is to me the best PS1 RPG after FF7.

It really depends which one you played first as a kid.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I barely know what Chrono Cross is except for a sequel to Chrono Trigger. Which I've also never played but have seen some of.

But The Last Jedi was really good. The looming expectation I had of reacting to it with anger and hate instead turned to happiness as I didn't understand what was supposed to be angering me at all. It feels good to feel good about things.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
My main gripe with Chrono Cross is the 30~ potential party members, but only only a handful of them get any actual character development or a role in the story.

Everything else is golden, though.

GrandHarrier

Oct 25, 2017

It literally goes out of its way to say, "All the characters you liked from the previous game? They all died horrible, meaningless deaths." The game literally didn't even need to include any mention of them whatsoever. It was just a gleeful "fuck you" to fans.

And what lack of consequence? Your characters literally shaped the course of evolution and history. Species and civilizations rose and fell because of what you did. The main character even dies and only "resurrects" (if you choose to (and then to be meaninglessly killed in Cross)) because of a time trick.

Cross goes out of its way to say "Lol Lucca literally dies in a fire."