• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
As far as I understand, Pip was fundamentally broken on the original launch (something about turning off your PlayStation reset the stats), and when they tried to fix it in the remaster they broke something else related to his growth rates, and since he's never been "working," they had to reexplain how he's supposed to work in the patch notes. I think a guide on him listed these ages ago, it's just that they've never been able to fix it properly.
Thanks for that. I guess it makes sense that they'd want to explain it again. They must want people to actually use the character now that it's fixed.

They did basically nothing for the original version (they just ran the textures through a machine learning upscaler and then put those in with no optimization or touching up) and I'm guessing they only optimized the textures because people were mad about how bad the game was.
So if I understood this right, they optimized the textures in a previous patch, right? Do we have any comparisons for that? Or the option to play without the AI upscaling?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god this framerate on Switch is freaking me out after 30 hours of ~20fps last year.

Cool to update this before the spiritual successors (Baten Kaitos) get a remaster in a few months.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Sweet, I bought on Switch last year but only played the first hour or so.

Will add to play list once the patch releases.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
So if I understood this right, they optimized the textures in a previous patch, right? Do we have any comparisons for that? Or the option to play without the AI upscaling?
There was no patch prior to this one. The backgrounds were (poorly) upscaled when the remaster first released and it doesn't look like this patch does anything to improve that. There is a "Classic" graphics option that let's you play using the original unedited backgrounds (which I think look better but ymmv), but without modding the game, you're then also forced to use the original character models and portraits. The so called "imitation pixel font" used in the Classic mode looks pretty bad, too.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
99% of the patch notes is about pip wtf is this https://www.jp.square-enix.com/cc_rd/update/

did they spend a year on PIP?

The developer who worked on this:
xNDDA8S.png

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
It seems to be a locked 30 on the field and 60 in battles now?

Between this, Wild Arms 2, and Legend of Dragon it's a good time to be a PS1 JRPG fan.

Now I just need more free time.....

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Played Chrono Trigger years ago but I've never played Cross.

Now that it's patched I'll be grabbing this next time it's on sale on PSN.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
Super excited to see this is running well. I just did a replay on a xrgb mini, so it will be nice that my next playthrough won't have the screen disconnect every time I hit the menu button

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
There was no patch prior to this one. The backgrounds were (poorly) upscaled when the remaster first released and it doesn't look like this patch does anything to improve that. There is a "Classic" graphics option that let's you play using the original unedited backgrounds (which I think look better but ymmv), but without modding the game, you're then also forced to use the original character models and portraits. The so called "imitation pixel font" used in the Classic mode looks pretty bad, too.
I see... thanks a lot for the explanation. I appreciate having the option to play with all the original assets, because I'm still disappointed with how most remasters now try to delete any trace of non-sprite pixels. Like how Megaman Zero Legacy Collection forces you to see AI upscaled portraits and cutscenes regardless of what filter mode you're using.
But I agree that it makes no sense to not let you mix things up by just changing the backgrounds and leaving the rest the same, since that way everyone could find their sweet spot and be happy. The new portraits do look nice from what I've seen.

I'm not sure why S-E is having so many font problems lately tbh. You'd think they could just take the font from the original game and upscale it without filters.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
So, with the patch, is this the best way to play the game? Assuming you are using the Classic graphics, how authentic is the experience? That's what interests me in particular. Are 60fps battles not a little overkill for the animations?

It seems like the game has never been on a sale up to this point, so I guess it's not too surprising that there isn't one to go with this patch. Better to squeeze some extra money out of people jumping on the performance enhancement lol.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Bandai Namco don't fuck up those Baiten Kaitos remasters. The Tales of Symphonia Remaster has definitely gotten me worried...

I remember someone pointing out the trailer in the Japanese direct was running at 60fps as opposed to the NA/EU which seemed to have been encoded at 30, so there's hope.

I mean they already dropped Origins' god-tier dub and I'm still picking it up day 1 regardless so they got me by the balls

Wilk

Jun 2, 2021
I remember someone pointing out the trailer in the Japanese direct was running at 60fps as opposed to the NA/EU which seemed to have been encoded at 30, so there's hope.

I mean they already dropped Origin's god-tier dub and I'm still picking it up day 1 regardless so they got me by the balls
NA/EU getting that 30fps version. Could you imagine the outrage lmao. All jokes aside that is an excellent sign and great to hear

Eternal Flame

Oct 26, 2017
Your Dreams
I bought this at launch (I Think?), but held off on playing it for real. Just some quick run through the first areas, but wow, battles are looking so smooth now. Looks great! Might have to start up a real play though now. Glad they patched it. Makes me wish the FF8 remaster would at least make the backgrounds in battles and world map looked at least as good as the characters.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the battles run better than in the original PS1 version? I remember that scrolling the Elements menu always felt a little bit laggy.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like another update got pushed to make make battles 60 FPS on all platforms except for Switch

SQUARE ENIX | The Official SQUARE ENIX Website - CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMERS EDITION - Patch Notes March 2023

Welcome to the official SQUARE ENIX website. Find all the latest news and updates about your favourite games and upcoming releases.
It says only the final battle is 30fps on Switch.
Also "set to a maximum" so there might be slowdowns.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
So how is it on Switch now? It's finally on sale on the eshop, if it's fixed I'll get it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, so long as you don't ardently expect Cross to be Trigger 2, there is a lot to really like. It's a uniquely original experience with tangential connections to Trigger, but focuses on creative new concepts for the genre. Thankfully its strengths were celebrated and it's wise to approach with an open-mind.

So how is it on Switch now? It's finally on sale on the eshop, if it's fixed I'll get it.

Tested on Switch and it runs great. Higher fps in battle(60 with some light hiccups), but fluid. World traversal is also very fluid and smooth, just moving your characters is night and day in comfort and feel from before or compared to ps1. Likely better on PS5, but don't have that to compare. Switch version is largely what I think we all hoped and expected in terms of performance.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Pretty sure I'm grabbing this on switch(it and saga frontier are my sale grabs I think)

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Man do I get this, given I've already played it before, multiple times.

or do I get unsung masterpiece The Quiet Man

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Really pleased with the update, feels so much better and a far easier recommendation to make to folk now.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
So how is it on Switch now? It's finally on sale on the eshop so it's
Tested on Switch and it runs great. Higher fps in battle(60 with some light hiccups), but fluid. World traversal is also very fluid and smooth, just moving your characters is night and day in comfort and feel from before or compared to ps1. Likely better on PS5, but don't have that to compare. Switch version is largely what I think we all hoped and expected in terms of performance.

Thank you, I'll buy it then!