• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Square Enix PR said:
Mobile Version of Timeless Classic Also Receives Update to the PC Features
LOS ANGELES (Feb. 27, 2018) – Widely hailed as one of the greatest video games of all time, the definitive version of CHRONO TRIGGER® is now available for the first time on STEAM®. This version features:
  • Two Extra Dungeons – Includes the mysterious "Dimensional Vortex" dungeon and "Lost Sanctum" dungeon that first appeared in the Nintendo DS® and mobile releases
  • CHRONO TRIGGER Limited Edition - Those that purchase the STEAM version until April 2, 2018 will receive the following digital bonuses for free:
    • An enchanting and specially edited digital song file containing a medley of five songs: "Far Off Promise," "Wind Scene," "Battle with Magus," "Corridors of Time," and "Chrono Trigger"
    • Composer Yasunori Mitsuda's digital liner notes
    • A collection of six stunning PC wallpapers in varying sizes
  • Updated Graphics and Sound – While keeping the atmosphere of the original, this version features optimized visuals designed for modern PCs and a re-recorded soundtrack under the supervision of original composer Yasunori Mitsuda.
  • Updated Controls - Optimized PC experience that supports both controller and mouse/keyboard configuration
  • New Autosave Feature - Automatically saves while still featuring the original title's Save Point function

In conjunction with the release of the STEAM version, CHRONO TRIGGER for iOS and Android may also receive a major update which brings all of the enhancements in the PC version to mobile devices. Additionally, CHRONO TRIGGER is also now available on the Amazon AppStore beginning today, bringing the title to an even wider array of mobile platforms.

The mobile version of CHRONO TRIGGER not only features the updated graphical and sound enhancements, but also brings retina and cloud save features as well as AppleTV support to this version.

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Looks like it has some of the content from the DS version?

Experience the 'Dimensional Vortex' and the 'Lost Sanctum' dungeons
The Dimensional Vortex: a mysterious, ever-changing dungeon existing outside of space and time. What wonders await you at its center?
The Lost Sanctum: enigmatic gates in prehistoric and medieval times will lead you to these forgotten chambers. Meet the challenges presented to you and long-lost secrets may be revealed...
Alright, this is pretty cool.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

The Dimensional Vortex: a mysterious, ever-changing dungeon existing outside of space and time. What wonders await you at its center?
The Lost Sanctum: enigmatic gates in prehistoric and medieval times will lead you to these forgotten chambers. Meet the challenges presented to you and long-lost secrets may be revealed...

Graphics and sound
While keeping the atmosphere of the original, the graphics have been updated in higher resolution. As for the sound and music, under the supervision of composer Yasunori Mitsuda, all songs have been updated for an even more immersive gameplay experience.

Comfortable controls
Whether you play with a gamepad or a keyboard, the controls have been updated for a more pleasant gameplay experience.

Autosave
In addition to saving at a save point or choosing to quit from the menu, your progress is saved automatically while traversing the map.

---

soo are these the DS version dungeons?!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Figured it'd be the phone version. I think it's the only main reason we have been seeing so much PC support from Square with these older games.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
this looks like shit

ss_13ffdf40e86c161948a575e25f6c6c184423aeb6.600x338.jpg
Compared to what they did to FFV and FFVI it's goddamned perfect.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah pretty cool that they brought the DS version plus additional stuff. Will buy once again. Hope this means something....:(

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. Holy shit. Wtf. Holy shit. Been looking for the DS version forever, but it's only sold for super high prices on Ebay and such sites.

Oh my god.

Can't load the Steam store.

hgsdfhdfg

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why bother announcing the release of Chrono Trigger on PC?
It's like anyone cares about that game or something...

Oct 29, 2017
What's this I'm readying about enhanced visuals? They look like the original SNES sprites (which I certainly don't mind, I can't think of a single JRPG remake that looks better than its original 2D version, except maybe FFIV PSP)

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
wut

Stealth release of the mobile port with DS content but with a gunky filter, and they think I'll buy it now just to get a soundtrack and liner notes both readily available? That's not going to work. It's great to see the game up on Steam finally, and I'll probably get this at some point if there's a way to disable the filter and apply a better one, but I can't say this release excites me.

After all, I'm already almost done with my DS copy. The side-quest part of the game's just so good.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awful, why can't Square Enix just bring the original versions of their games instead of shitty mobile versions, it's infuriating.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
If possible I hope there is a way to turn off the smoothing (look, I get that those will be some FAT PIXELS if blown out to anything above 240p, but I would rather that than the smoothing), but yea - it definitely is nicer than what was done on those FF mobile ports (I will only ever purchase FF6 on Steam if there is a way to remove the filters, otherwise no sale).

Very cool to have an official release on PC now though, even if it is just a simple port of the mobile version (which is based on the DS version...which is an update of the SNES game [cause it didn't have the FMV from PS1 release right?]).

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017

Graphics and sound
While keeping the atmosphere of the original, the graphics have been updated in higher resolution. As for the sound and music, under the supervision of composer Yasunori Mitsuda, all songs have been updated for an even more immersive gameplay experience.

Comfortable controls
Whether you play with a gamepad or a keyboard, the controls have been updated for a more pleasant gameplay experience.

Autosave
In addition to saving at a save point or choosing to quit from the menu, your progress is saved automatically while traversing the map.

---

soo are these the DS version dungeons?!

Yes. They are also optional if you don;t like the new change. There is also a new ending for this version if its based on the DS version.

If possible I hope there is a way to turn off the smoothing (look, I get that those will be some FAT PIXELS if blown out to anything above 240p, but I would rather that than the smoothing), but yea - it definitely is nicer than what was done on those FF mobile ports (I will only ever purchase FF6 on Steam if there is a way to remove the filters, otherwise no sale).

Very cool to have an official release on PC now though, even if it is just a simple port of the mobile version (which is based on the DS version...which is an update of the SNES game [cause it didn't have the FMV from PS1 release right?]).

The DS version have all the PS1 contents including the FMV plus new contents without the loading time.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
haha wtf

for the people who have played this version, can yall report on the performance and technical tidbits of this? like is it buggy at all?

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
WTF??!!!! WHAT? WHAAATTTT???

Ok...deep breath.... I've got this on SNES and DS, still picking this up on steam.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
out of fucking nowhere. So, is it a limited time game? Wtf that is what it is implying. Oh well, time to buy it -we need that remake a la DQXI

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Press release

LOS ANGELES (Feb. 27, 2018) – Widely hailed as one of the greatest video games of all time, the definitive version of CHRONO TRIGGER® is now available for the first time on STEAM®. This version features:
  • Two Extra Dungeons – Includes the mysterious "Dimensional Vortex" dungeon and "Lost Sanctum" dungeon that first appeared in the Nintendo DS® and mobile releases
  • CHRONO TRIGGER Limited Edition - Those that purchase the STEAM version until April 2, 2018 will receive the following digital bonuses for free:
    • An enchanting and specially edited digital song file containing a medley of five songs: "Far Off Promise," "Wind Scene," "Battle with Magus," "Corridors of Time," and "Chrono Trigger"
    • Composer Yasunori Mitsuda's digital liner notes
    • A collection of six stunning PC wallpapers in varying sizes
  • Updated Graphics and Sound – While keeping the atmosphere of the original, this version features optimized visuals designed for modern PCs and a re-recorded soundtrack under the supervision of original composer Yasunori Mitsuda.
  • Updated Controls - Optimized PC experience that supports both controller and mouse/keyboard configuration
  • New Autosave Feature - Automatically saves while still featuring the original title's Save Point function
In conjunction with the release of the STEAM version, CHRONO TRIGGER for iOS and Android may also receive a major update which brings all of the enhancements in the PC version to mobile devices. Additionally, CHRONO TRIGGER is also now available on the Amazon AppStore beginning today, bringing the title to an even wider array of mobile platforms.

The mobile version of CHRONO TRIGGER not only features the updated graphical and sound enhancements, but also brings retina and cloud save features as well as AppleTV support to this version.

The new CHRONO TRIGGER STEAM launch trailer is available at: https://youtu.be/2fl-AylaHY8