• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Always thought the original design was a little too Stardew so this is a vast improvement in quality and differentiating itself.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
going isometric really allowed them to give the world more detail.

Any estimate on the release date? I wonder if it can already be wishlisted on GOG.

Jun 26, 2018
According to their site they are dedicated to not having crunch. That is an amazing pledge and something that deserves attention and praise.

If only they paid their developers fairly...

www.resetera.com

A dev who worked "hundreds of hours" on Starbound wasn't paid a cent by Chucklefish, along with other unpaid workers after being promised pay

More on Twitter if you click through and see the whole comment chain. Confirmed by multiple other workers, and many of the employees were promised money. Please see this Twitter comment chain:

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
can't deny the GREAT increase in detail but... i kinda prefer the old? the new visuals lost some of their identity and i almost can't see the characters.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I like both art styles, don't really have a preference I think. I can't wait to play this, hopefully it comes out this year or next.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has definitely passed the point of being able to live up to the hype. All we can hope for now is that the game turns out decent enough

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Preferred the original but it's still looking good. Excited for this to come out.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about those character sprites, but the level of environmental detail is lovely.

Guess they went isometric when they nailed down what the game design actually was.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prefer the old style, much cleaner. Curious to see it in motion. Will depend on gameplay too, I suppose. If you're mostly standing around in dialog trees and not trying to navigate around, this is fine.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
That's a enormous change, changing prespectives on a sprite game midway is crazy.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
LF1G9FM.png

Took me a while to realize I was parsing these houses wrong in 3D.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this game looks so damn good. this and silk song are probably the two unreleased games I'm most excited about

OP
OP
Finaj

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Stardew Valley valley people right? If so, can't wait to try it.

Not exactly. Chucklefish published Stardew Valley, but it was developed by ConcernedApe.

Chucklefish seem to be handling development and publishing duties this time. They also developed Starbound and Wargroove.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
the isometricness + weird proportions make this look worse to me
i was vaguely interested before but i don't think i am now

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Excited to play it, hope it's more Harry Potter than Stardew though

Oct 27, 2017
LF1G9FM.png

Took me a while to realize I was parsing these houses wrong in 3D.
Glad I'm not the only person who was caught off on this. I initially saw the inner roof the sides of the buildings on the left/right (and they were connected only at the point at the top) before I realized it was a triangular roof. I think it's the lighting doing it or maybe the angles are slightly skewed. I dunno

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Looks incredible. I was a little let down with the original look but this is a really nice surprise.

Can't wait for this, and whatever the Stardew 1.5 update includes. (Also: has ConcernedApe announced their new game yet? or is it still under wraps?)

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I had this mixed up with Witchmarsh, and thought they had done a really radical change in style. lol
www.kickstarter.com

Witchmarsh

An action RPG set in 1920s Massachusetts. Create and manage a team of investigators in a story-driven supernatural mystery.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
First thing I thought of (and I didn't even play this so I'm not sure why) is that the new style gives me Habbo Hotel vibes lol.

PHXUS2_SWWzaM0zXDX8cC5YH_scLcaWeXIJSjXBKMUuiTKcfF5OZgNvns22W0dikG1c5yI0mn3mfzkDZmnndjTUaKdKFb68_1JJJiNWy3WMV1XDups_Wi5I_WEytnrXoJFajvYKxbg

Excited to see it in motion, think that might help a lot.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I... Kinda prefer how it looked before. Had more personality, the new looks is very detailed but looks fairly generic. I was hesitant to make the Habbo hotel comparison, but it's already been made lol

Still excited for the game, anyway.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did it look like before?

Here's a bunch from another thread;

Nice, we can use this as the "unofficial official thread" from here on out and I don't have to keep necro-bumping the old one. Excellent job on the first post!

Let's get some of the old development screenshots in here too, then;

NM7Kydt.jpg

DhG7c2p.jpg

CuBS8i4WEAEX_ZW.jpg

CupFdJnWcAAeIwq.jpg:large

CuvmQG2WgAEhhQK.jpg

Short demo video, mostly showing lighting; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWXwbonGH3Q

And here's two articles on it;
http://www.pcgamer.com/new-details-and-screens-from-stardew-valley-publishers-magic-school-rpg/

http://www.pcgamer.com/chucklefishs-magic-school-rpg-more-details-on-dating-combat-and-influences/