• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Extremely level headed take from a prominent content creator for 40k. This is Bricky. He runs the Adeptus Ridiculous podcast, puts out lore summaries for beginners, and participates in the various tournaments. He spends the video tearing down the most common complaints regarding the change.

View: https://youtu.be/9pBJb_OjxEI?si=R7-60Gq1OEzGm7_z

TLDR; He doesn't care that the change was made but he doesn't like the way they did it. He would rather them have jumped in with both feet with models and maybe a book instead of a brief excerpt. He also hates the embarrassing response from the vocal minority of chuds hating this. He hates that the chuds get the most spotlight when the vast majority of the hobby doesn't care about these changes or even supports them. It gives the hobby a bad name.

He also makes a passionate appeal to women who are interested in the hobby, but are put off by the idiots on social media. He assures them that they are the minority. The regular everyday players and crafters are good people. He also says that some of the best crafters and painters in the hobby are women. He wants to see more of them join.

Last edited:

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
If there's any 40k lore that's worth complaining about it's everything involving the Primaris Marines. Made me miss the days when the plot never progressed.

Oct 26, 2017
since we have a bunch of warhammer people in this thread, what is a good novel to start out with? awhile ago i heard something about the emperor being dead but their body is still used to spread magic or some shit. it sounded interesting, is that 40k?
Arbotor Ian has literally just released this video, he also has other "for beginners" style videos.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF9uVsY9Fwo

Long story short, 40k is a setting more than a consistent linear narrative.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
sometimes i feel like a unicorn being a super geek in one fandom. When changes happen I am like "Ok" and move on.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I'm biased, because it's the 5th edition Necron codex (after playing Dawn of War) that got me into Warhammer, but I remember how pissy people were at Matt Ward for SO long over this and the Grey Knights codex.
As someone who was pissy about it, I have to admit. The Nu-crons fit better in the progressing storyline than the old-crons would have. So I have to shallow my pride and admit that I was wrong.

The Dreadknights are still lame tho...

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
since we have a bunch of warhammer people in this thread, what is a good novel to start out with? awhile ago i heard something about the emperor being dead but their body is still used to spread magic or some shit. it sounded interesting, is that 40k?

Just pick a book that features a faction/thing you like and go from there.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Horus Heresy is a good start if you want to know where it all started (and then went wrong).

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
Why? They make perfect sense?
Where to even begin.

First there's the way they and their creator are introduced. Cawl is some guy we've never heard of that shows up out of nowhere and immediately proceeds to aid in resurrecting a Primarch, announce that he's actually said Primarch's super secret ally from 10k years ago, that he has created an army of super-super soldiers kept in storage this whole time that are just plain better in every way and that he also improved the entire Space Marine arsenal while he was at it because why not at this point.
He reads like an Ad-Mech Mary Sue. The entire Ad-Mech with its quadrillion members over its whole existence is utterly useless compared to this one guy. Most Magi can't even create a better bolter let alone everything else. Cawl is an anomaly on the scale of the Emperor himself.

The Primaris themselves in their total superiority feel like something a kid came up with. Someone came up with the ultimate super-soldiers so this kid goes "yeah, well I have super-duper soldiers +1 and they can totally kick your soldiers' butts".

More subjectively, I highly dislike the design of the new weapons and armor. Sleeker, rounder, more tacticool and futuristic. Everything looks closer to something the Tau would make than it used to be. Space Marines are supposed to be knights with guns, not soldiers with swords. The artstyle of 40k is one of the best and most unique things about it and GW's ruining it. A Space Marine in mark 7 armor holding a bolter (not a damn bolt gun) used to be iconic, now it's nowhere to be seen.

Perhaps the worst thing about the Primaris (and Cawl) is that they're simply thematically wrong. A key part of the setting is that humanity's glory days are behind it, especially when it comes to technology. It was an important enough part that the standard intro outright stated it. "Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned". Not anymore apperantly. You know what used to happen when they tried to make better Marines with science? The Lamenters. They're the result of the Ad-Mech seemingly fixing the Blood Angels but they were cursed because the universe itself won't tolerate progress. Now that's proper 40k.

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Where to even begin.

First there's the way they and their creator are introduced. Cawl is some guy we've never heard of that shows up out of nowhere and immediately proceeds to aid in resurrecting a Primarch, announce that he's actually said Primarch's super secret ally from 10k years ago, that he has created an army of super-super soldiers kept in storage with whole time that are just plain better in every way and that he also improved the entire Space Marine arsenal while he was at it because why not at this point.
He reads like an Ad-Mech Mary Sue. The entire Ad-Mech with its quadrillion members over its whole existence is utterly useless compared to this one guy. Most Magi can't even create a better bolter let alone everything else. Cawl is an anomaly on the scale of the Emperor himself.

The Primaris themselves in their total superiority feel like something a kid came up with. Someone came up with the ultimate super-soldiers so this kid goes "yeah, well I have super-duper soldiers +1 and they can totally kick your soldiers' butt".

More subjectively, I highly dislike design of the new weapons and armor. Sleeker, rounder, more tacticool and futuristic. Everything looks closer to something the Tau would make than it used to be. Space Marines are supposed to be knights with guns, not soldiers with swords. The artstyle of 40k is one of the best and most unique thing about it and GW's ruining it. A Space Marine in mark 7 armor holding a bolter (not a damn bolt gun) used to be iconic, now it's nowhere to be seen.

Perhaps the worst thing about the Primaris (and Cawl) is that they're simply thematically wrong. A key part of the setting is that humanity's glory days are behind it, especially when it comes to technology. It was an important enough part that the standard intro outright stated it. "Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned". Not anymore apperantly. You know what used to happen when they tried to make better Marines with science? The Lamenters. They're the result of the Ad-Mech seemingly fixing the Blood Angels but they were cursed because the universe itself won't tolerate progress. Now that's proper 40k.
Their "superiority" varies from book to book. They have the physical tools to be better, but they lack real world experience. In the books they are bested by traditional Space Marines on several occasions. The Custodes are also shown to consider them to be not that different. So it's not like they instantly made the older marines instantly obsolete. They are also the only reason the Imperium is still standing. So there is that as well.

Cawl coming out of the blue is par for the course in 40k. New characters are introduced all the time. Also the reason he is so intelligent and so much better than the others of his order is explained in detail in one of his books. He is not just a normal member of the Ad-Mech. His long lifespan is also explained in that same book.

The aesthetics part is just going to vary from person to person. I don't mind the changes. Nothing needs to stay the same forever.

Kordovas

Dec 10, 2023
Nothing in the lore has ever stated that female Custodes couldn't exist like the stated reason why space marines are only male. The creation of both are quite different. Space Marines are mass produced compared to Custodes individual process starting from infancy.

5619352_687561_elzunix_female-custodes.6c8e901a3974c27508db25c537a64210.webp

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
There Was A Female Space Marine but The Emperor decide goes full male later (real life reason is The Miniatures sold poorly)

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Some men are just extra pathetic aren't they.

These are the same chuds that cry when modern takes on their childhood IPs (mostly cartoons and hollywood movies) "go woke", not realising that the story, lore or setting of all those products was just an excuse written with the only premise of maximising the sales of toys and merchandising since that's where the actual money is, and if they have to retcon all kind of stuff or start over to make sure that there's proper representation and that the biases from 20/30/40 years ago are not a liability to sell more toys they will, not giving a shit that some maladjusted nerds made a story crafted to sell toys their personality.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
The Primaris themselves in their total superiority feel like something a kid came up with. Someone came up with the ultimate super-soldiers so this kid goes "yeah, well I have super-duper soldiers +1 and they can totally kick your soldiers' butts".
If it's any consolation, the book Harrowmaster (Alpha Legion focus!) had a fun take on Primaris. The Alpha Legion is basically like "What the fuck is this?" when they first run into the Primaris for the first time and immediately try and figure out what the fuck is going on. A lot of what they say is basically what you're saying, amusingly. They also figure out weaknesses for the Primaris, though, which is fun....basically that because they're entirely new chapters of them, they're very tough and skilled, but also very much rookies. Their tactics aren't the best and they don't have the experience the prior versions have and the Alpha Legion exploit this to kill a lot of them / capture their bodies.

It's a good book.

Separately, I agree with Bricky. The introduction of female Custodes was done in a terrible fashion, even by GW standards, and was supremely embarrassing....but I also don't give a shit. I like helmets on my models so it never mattered either way to me. Bricky's take is honestly what I see the most of, the Chuds *are* a minority.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a video on YT the other day ranting about Games Workshop, but it wasn't even about this. He spent twenty minutes making comparisons to other franchises and pointing out that practically everything in 40K is just a mishmash of LOTR and Dune. In effect, saying how dumb it is to swear by lore that wasn't even really original to the Warhammer universe in the first place. Which kind of does circle back around to this current argument, really.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a video on YT the other day ranting about Games Workshop, but it wasn't even about this. He spent twenty minutes making comparisons to other franchises and pointing out that practically everything in 40K is just a mishmash of LOTR and Dune. In effect, saying how dumb it is to swear by lore that wasn't even really original to the Warhammer universe in the first place. Which kind of does circle back around to this current argument, really.
It always circle around the tenant "this is my place, newbies are tolerated in my place until it start to become their place. Then things get weird and scary to me".

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Should have used the Primaris project as an excuse to introduce lady marines but alas.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Should have used the Primaris project as an excuse to introduce lady marines but alas.

All this should have been done a long time ago, but alas, for the longest time they didn't mind the incel and nazi money and it feels like they're running around like headless chicken because it's the year of our lord 2024 and it's now when they realised that those chuds are kneecapping potential growth and driving away new people.

I mean, you just have to look at MTG. Even with all the woes and the usual corporate meddling by Hasbro and all the hate thrown towards WOTC, there's more people playing MTG than ever after they decided to increase representation, make sure they didn't fall into stereotyped tropes for such representation, and made the effort to weed as many chuds as possible out from the community. And yes, correlation doesn't mean causation and the growth comes from many other avenues and not just "going woke" but it only highlights how ridiculous these dumbasses are when they threaten to stop spending money. They're such a small minority and prevent so many other people from interacting with the hobby with all the noise they make that companies (and stores) are actually happy to see them go.

Edit: I mean, for a real world example, some months ago there was an uproar here because there was a big tournament (not sure if it was fantasy, AoS or 40K, honestly) and some chud brought an army decorated with nazi-adjacent symbology (the typical "it's not a swastika so there can be some level of deniability but everybody knows what is it") and several people refused to play, and the TO disqualified those people for refusing to play and let the nazi fucker in the tournament. How do you expect a woman or anybody part of any kind of minority read about that incident and not cross off "miniature gaming" from a list of potential hobbies forever?

Last edited:

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Edit: I mean, for a real world example, some months ago there was an uproar here because there was a big tournament (not sure if it was fantasy, AoS or 40K, honestly) and some chud brought an army decorated with nazi-adjacent symbology (the typical "it's not a swastika so there can be some level of deniability but everybody knows what is it") and several people refused to play, and the TO disqualified those people for refusing to play and let the nazi fucker in the tournament. How do you expect a woman or anybody part of any kind of minority read about that incident and not cross off "miniature gaming" from a list of potential hobbies forever?

You sure you aren't thinking of that tournament in Spain back in 2021? And if so Games Workshop released a pretty strong statement that hate groups had no place in the hobby

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
You sure you aren't thinking of that tournament in Spain back in 2021? And if so Games Workshop released a pretty strong statement that hate groups had no place in the hobby

Yup, it was that one. 2021? God damn where the hell does time go. I was aware GW made that statement, I just was so sure that this event happened after that. But still, the most important part is that damage was already done since the outrage already flew all over social media.

Edit: and also my post regarding GW running like headless chicken is mostly for the idea that, even if they already showed these people the door, they're still scrambling for ways to push them outside, hence the whole mishandling of this situation on their side (just a side story, no minis to go with it, the "everything is canon" tweet...)

Last edited:

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a person that collects Custodes this has zero impact on me. I'm more excited to see the art and custom miniatures fans make.