• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
I also have the gene that makes Cilantro taste like soap, so... agreed

Really sucks as someone who otherwise really likes hispanic food

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Figured this would be related to the soapy taste some people experience (like my mother in law).

Since it doesn't taste like soap to me, I like it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It tastes like soap to my SO and for some reason it's added as a garnish to like 98% of dishes in newer restaurants. Sorry that you've got to deal with it, as it's super annoying on our end as well.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017

tenor.gif

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Cilantro is one of the best flavors imaginable. You poor soul, that's like not seeing the color blue.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i always joke to my family that they are putting soap on there food since mexican food uses alot of cilantro

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
It's good with onions and lime as a relish for street style tacos and good in guac/salsa . I dont really use it outside of that. The bunches you get at the grocery store are way to big tho.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What if the people that taste it as soap actually like it and the people that don't taste it as soap don't like it.

Essentially, what if we can just eat soap.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have to take the time to peel the leaves off the stems. A lot of people just cut it all up, stems and all, because they're cold heartless bastards who are too negligent to properly show their meal the love and care it deserves.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
It tastes like soap to my SO and for some reason it's added as a garnish to like 98% of dishes in newer restaurants. Sorry that you've got to deal with it, as it's super annoying on our end as well.

Probably because, for most people, it's delicious, a delightfully citrusy-grassy-bright-yet-not-too-strong note that compliments many different dishes.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My dad has the soapy gene, mom doesn't but she just doesn't like it. I like it ok but I prefer it used sparingly.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
You're like me op. Most people taste cilantro differently. We're a small number of people who taste cilantro like soap.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I think its pretty good but its also one of the few ingridients that I skip in a recipe since its usually too expensive(nothing that breaks the bank or anything but I dislike using like a 5th of the price of a meal on a fresh spice), I tried to grow my own but it went pretty poorly.