• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
You are factually incorrect. I genuinely feel bad for those that got a critical botch on that particular roll of the genetic dice.

Last edited:

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
It's absolutely perfect to top off some dishes that has lots of flavour punch but lacks a final brightening touch - like a good indian curry.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Cilantro is dope
Gene improving tech advancements in the future will fix the broken

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
The taqueria here doesn't put cilantro on things because they season the food properly and it doesn't need it.

I don't know what this even means. Cilantro is an enhancement regardless of other seasonings.

it's crazy. reminds me of the well-done steak threads where people say "the chef should know how to season to make it more juicy".

I love those. "There's an art to cooking a well-done steak properly." As though there's some magical technique to it. I usually ask them for their secret, but have yet to get a response. :)

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Thats a sad bummer for you. For me it tastes like the embodiment of freshness. Thats the only way I can describe it.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Cilantro is like genuinely my most disliked food thing. Can't stand it at all, instantly ruins a dish.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, cilantro os awful, but I have no problem with the existence of food I don't enjoy. The issue here is that too many restaurants liberally sprinkle it on their entrees even though 10% of the population think it tastes like soap. It should always be an optional garnish. When I see it mentioned on the menu (like as an ingredient in a burrito), I ask for it to be left out, but it's often thrown on to dishes with no warning. Just a bizarre business decision.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
My girlfriend absolutely hates it but I've had it plenty and don't even know what it tastes like enough to form an opinion one way or another.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people out here thinking people willingly putting soap flavored plant on their food smh

cilantro is great

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird...I love cilantro, but when I heard about some people tasting it as soap, it triggered something from when I was a kid

When I was young, my Mom would sometimes order shrimp with lobster sauce from the chinese take out place...sometimes she would share some with me, which I liked, but would sometimes get a soapy taste.

Is it possible I "grew out of it"? Or they used some other type of cilantro?

Alls I knows is I definitely love it now

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
It's the best. It's a cheat code. Sprinkle it on anything and it gets 50% better. It's the most magical ingredient I could think of.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
it's crazy. reminds me of the well-done steak threads where people say "the chef should know how to season to make it more juicy".
Exactly. Seasoning has nothing to do with your doneness preference or your genetic disposition.
Not to mention, it's like taqueria use cilantro as a flavor crutch to make their food good when really all it is is an enhancement. There's nothing more perfect than a taco de asada with salsa verde, onion and cilantro, literally the perfect bite.

PipefishUK

Oct 25, 2017
I just looked up courgette and that appears to be another name for zucchini, not eggplant.

EDIT: lol, you can't fool me with your edits!

Yeah, first results said Aubergine. More said Courgette.

Hang on, what's Zucchini? Oh a Courgette?

An Aubergine is the purple thing that's emoji is a euphemism for a penis. A Courgette is the weird green Cucumber but not a Cucumber thing.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know there was a genetic component to wrong opinions. That sucks. I can't imagine having that and growing up Latino. I would have never been able to eat 70% of my mom's dishes.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to kind-of taste the soap flavor of it once when I got, like, 3 whole, raw leaves of it in my mouth at once, so I can kinda understand why the soap gene people hate it, but I generally don't have that problem and it's one of my favorite herbs.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
giphy.gif

It really makes certain kinds of food completely inedible.
This.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
North Indian good depends on coriander, which is used in both fresh forms as a garnish and in powered form as grinder by coriander seeds.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Having said the above, there ARE times when I can manage it if the cilantro is fine enough and the rest of the ingrediants strong enough to cover it, but it still tends to leave a lingering bad taste for awhile. Soups/stocks or things heavily flavored by them are almost always a no-go. I tried Pho once on someone's recommendation, but they had so much cilantro on it I may as well have been washing my own mouth out with Irish Spring soap.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
I wasn't aware that cilantro tastes like soap for some people. Grateful it ain't me, I couldn't live without it as a Mexican.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Coriander and Cilantro are two different things from the same plant.

Only in America. From Google:

"Both cilantro and coriander come from the Coriandrum sativum plant. In the US, cilantro is the name for the plant's leaves and stem, while coriander is the name for its dried seeds. Internationally, the leaves and stems are called coriander, while its dried seeds are called coriander seeds."

It's purely a different naming convention.

That said, coriander is fantastic in Indian and Mexican food.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Yea it tastes like mild soap to me, but I wonder how it must tastes for others.