• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Only in America. From Google:

"Both cilantro and coriander come from the Coriandrum sativum plant. In the US, cilantro is the name for the plant's leaves and stem, while coriander is the name for its dried seeds. Internationally, the leaves and stems are called coriander, while its dried seeds are called coriander seeds."

It's purely a different naming convention.

That said, coriander is fantastic in Indian and Mexican food.
Ahh, good to know.

And yes, it taste great in both Indian and Mexican food.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I think getting rid of the soapy cilantro gene is the one case where eugenics is appropriate.

If this joke is in poor taste (like OP) let me know and I'll edit this post.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
how to trigger cilantro haters:

DMjkjtVV4AEsSum.jpg:large

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Coriander and Cilantro are two different things from the same plant.
They actually aren't. The whole thing (both leaves and seeds) is called Coriander in English and Cilantro in Spanish.

However in US due to prevalence of Mexican food and Spanish language, Cilantro caught on, but for some reason it was only used for the leaves while the seeds were still referred to as Coriander. So US basically takes two names from different languages meant to refer to the same thing (i.e. the whole plant), and instead uses them both to refer to two different parts of that plant.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
TIL genetics can make a herb taste like Soap.

Very interesting... as a mexican, cilantro is a mainstay.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Every time I get a scent of cilantro it always feels like a handful too much. Idk if that makes sense to y'all but it does to me.

I don't like it either tbh.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Tastes like soap to me, and also for my wife and daughter. We eat Mexican a lot, so you learn to live with it. I ask that they not garnish the plate with a handful of chopped cilantro, but I know it will be in every sauce and side dish. I'm surprised there are so many here with the bad gene, too. I'm usually met with skepticism that it's even a thing.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
I am unfortunately on team soap and it really does suck to know that the thing in front of you tastes amazing to virtually everyone else, but because of one small addition the entire concoction will taste vile.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I think it tastes really great!

Sometimes I get the soap taste.

What's wrong with me ._.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I generally don't like too much cilantro.

But I do feel it works well with certain foods.

But I never like it when they just dump a bowl of it on something.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I was about to jump in and double down agree with you, but then I realized I was thinking about sage instead of cilantro. I'm indifferent on cilantro.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of people are unfortunately genetically cursed when it comes to cilantro.

Thankfully I'm not and I love it!

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't we have a thread about people not liking tomatoes a couple of days ago? I know now it's mostly about genetics when it comes to cilantro but sometimes I get to think that many of you folks have the tastebuds of little children lol

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I taste soap. For those who don't, what does it taste like?

Edit: it was answered above. I love parsley.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Coriander for lyfe

Need a pinapple, tomato, coriander based burger/pizza, it will probably open a black hole of dispair here that no one can escape :p

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
First the guy that doesnt like tomato in burguers

Now this

What the fuck is going on ERA
Tomato hate is generally due to childish taste buds and most tomatoes most of the time being trash (here in the States).

Cilantro is genetic. Not to say it's 100% but the "soap" people have a gene that causes that taste experience.

So yeah, sorry about that gene variation. Shame to not enjoy the crisp, clean grassy taste of cilantro where it contributes oh, so much.