• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cinefix is a pretty cool film-oriented youtube channel and they usually put out quality material, figured I'd make the first thread about them on here. I thought this list was interesting in that a few of these I didn't even know were remakes, and also because the idea of a remake usually gets a bad rap, so having a positive thread about them is a decent change of pace.

FYI, their lists aren't the usual stuff. Each position is not just a ranking, but a category unto itself. They also name countless honorary mentions throughout their videos, in case you're annoyed something in particular didn't make it in.

5.- Shot-for-shot - Funny Games & Funny Games
4.- Upgrade - LA Takedown & Heat
3.- Same Story, Different Interpretation - Nosferatu & Nosferatu: The Vampyre
2.- Same Premise, New Direction - The Thing From Another World & The Thing
1.- Just the Seed of the Idea - La Jetee & 12 Monkeys

What are your favorite remakes?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Shin_Godzilla_US_poster.jpg

I feel like Shin Godzilla could fit in categories 2 and 3

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha I picked like 3 of the 5 movies before even clicking on the thread. Good choices all around.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I guess The Fly doesn't make the cut because of the category divisions.

edit: yeah, its in the vid.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Gotta be The Thing for me. Such an amazing film with a harrowing ending.

Do they count reimaginings or foreign adaptations? Like with Infernal Affairs -> The Depahted or Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess the original Funny Games is every bit as irritating as the remake

Just as the director intended

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
That's a damn good list. Can't argue with 1 and 2. Even 3. The others wouldn't be on my list but they're still quite good.
Not sure what else I could add. Maybe The Fly or the 70s version of Body Snatchers.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Well, didnt know about cinefix before and after watchibg the video i thought it was great and going to subscribe.
So thanks jett!

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
That's a great list. Heat would be my GOAT then if you consider LA Takedown before it

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really even view The Thing as a remake since it's pretty much a straight adaptation of Who Goes There? Whereas The Thing from Another World is almost entirely different apart from the setting.

I'd give Nosferatu the nod for the best remake because it takes an already classic film and somehow makes it even better. Hoping it'll get a hat trick in this department with Egger's take coming up.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is Sorcerer there?

Both films are great, but that's one hell of a remake. I guess both that and The Wages of Fear could just be considered adaptations though.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like you do a list of these just from samurai to cowboy movies and back again, but

Yojimbo --> For A Fistful of Dollars

stands out the most for me. Which in turn gave us

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly --> The Good, The Bad, and The Weird

Even if in both cases I prefer the former to the latter, all great films.

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
Massive shout out for Cinefix - they do 'Top 5' lists as stealth ways to talk about different examples excellent film making techniques, it's never about five films in order of 'bestness'.

3:10 To Yuma and True Grit.
True Grit is a weird case as it's simply a new adaptation of the original book, rather than trying to do anything the original adaptation did, but the original did follow most of the book pretty closely, so it's got that weird effect of making the 2010 film seem like it's a remake when it's not.

I don't think I can abide by the video's assertion that The Good, The Bad, The Weird is in any way a remake of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. There's some minor plot similarities, insomuch that it's a western centering around three guys looking for a treasure, but that's about where it ends.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cinefix is great!

There's another youtuber AlternatingLine who goes into specific detail about remakes (at least back when he was posting regularly). You guys should check it out if you liked the Cinefix video.

Massive shout out for Cinefix - they do 'Top 5' lists as stealth ways to talk about different examples excellent film making techniques, it's never about five films in order of 'bestness'.
You hit the nail on the head, man. A year ago I thought they were just a competing channel to Watchmojo and other "Top 10" crap channels, but they are amazing at how they get indepth with filmmaking while making it interesting for casual fans.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Love their lists

Interesting how they considered readaptations of a same story as "taking the same basic plot and changing everything else" remakes ....