• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Some background: Monster Madness is a review series of short (3-10 minutes each) horror movies going back years. Typically, they post one per day in October, usually based around an overall theme. Previously they were all written and reviewed by James Rolfe, but within the past few years he has employed additional writers and producers that help with the scripts.

28 Days Later (2002) Review
Original video (original link (still up as of posting time): https://odysee.com/@Cinemassacre:b/01---28-Days-Later:2)

Video comparing the similarities

Original review (written in 2003)
www.filmcomment.com

Review: 28 Days Later

(Danny Boyle, U.K., 2003)

They've removed the video from their site and issued the following statement:

NOTE from Justin Silverman:
Sadly this video had some plagiarism accidentally, so we're fixing the video.

As a statement:
"Yes, those sections in the video are WAY too similar to that 2003 article I saw posted.
I figured out what happened after talking with James and retracing our steps.
The 28 Days Later script has been in draft for like a decade. The doc also had notes in there, including quotes and reviews from when the movie came out and over the years, see how it's been perceived over time… but, these notes clearly got mixed in, HOPEFULLY fucking accidentally… but I'm still figuring that part out. I notice a lot of the items were verbatim, so, yeah, hopefully a mistake. A few people helped us with a few of these scripts, so, I'm now knocking heads and checking everything else.
I am NOT happy about it and plagiarism is NEVER okay. I should have personally been more on top of this as producer, I'm sorry. And in all my years of doing this, it's the first time it's happen… but it won't happen again. I know how much Monster Madness means to the fans, myself, and James.
Lastly, I want this script completely re-written and fixed by the end of the month too, as a make-good. James had a lot of personal stories in there too he wanted to get across, and this situation muddied those stories. I apologize."

EDIT:
Happened two more times since
www.resetera.com

Cinemassacre (AVGN/James Rolfe) Caught Plagiarizing Latest Review (Up: Was an accident)

It happened again... And again... https://www.resetera.com/threads/cinemassacres-monster-madness-returns-with-cinemassacres-monster-madness-around-the-world-31-episodes.493419/page-2#post-74530719

Last edited:

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
gangs-of-new-york-daniel-day-lewis.gif

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So it was one of his writers that messed up?

Not good especially since they decided to go more into it this year compared to previous years :(

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Title needs more clarity. I seems like it was James. It was a writer for Cinemassacre and the writer apologized.

Jul 27, 2020
They havent even put up a new one today. They have this guy Newt '''writing''' all the CM MM this month, james just reads it, newt plagiarized the whole series most likely.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Plausible explanation. I can see how maybe they had put the original review in there as a reference but over time forgot it wasn't something they had originally written. At least they responded quickly and (seemingly) honestly.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of that isn't even interesting stuff - it's like, just a basic description of the plot. And then on the other hand, the phrasing of some of the social commentary analysis seemed very unusual for him in the video, so seeing that it was ghost-written (and swiped to boot!) adds up.

Not a great sign, honestly. I buy that it wasn't something the organization at large was intentionally doing, but I don't think you accidentally steal wholesale for a script like that without knowing, so SOMEONE was cutting corners. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to scrap/rework the whole thing, because if there's plagiarism in the first video, there's definitely going to be more of it.

Oct 25, 2017
I can believe it was an accident. James has been clean for a long time.
That said, if James is leaving even Monster Madness to Screenwave? Then that's sad. I can understand AVGN, but Monster Madness was always something he was passionate about. Getting the chance to really nerd out about horror movies. It really does feel like he's trying to make Cinemassacre "corporate"
And I can see somewhat understand. James is over 40 years old now, he has kids, he can't exactly do everything on his own now like he did in 2007. But at the same time, he really should be involved more if stuff like this slips through the cracks.

Sliver

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really buy it to be honest. The slight word changes to make it sound better on video were done when, exactly? 10 years ago when James "compiled" his notes and reviews, or recently by a new writer? Pretty embarrassing and annoying, was always a fan of these videos from way back and thought they were something James did personally.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Doesn't James no longer write his own material? So yeah it's more his team/producers that fucked up.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Still pretty dumb for James to hype up bringing back a classic series only for the first episode to expose the fact he didn't even give his own opinions on it.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
The explanation actually does sound legit and I do feel bad for James, especially cause he was so stoked on this project.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
What is accidental plagarism?
it seemed like they had notes for this episode lying around for a long time. Presumably created by someone else, before the script for the episode was written by someone from Screenweave. If the original notes didn't clearly mark original content from reference material, then it's easy to see how the new writer could mix them up and essentially plagiarise existing reviews without noticing.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Still pretty dumb for James to hype up bringing back a classic series only for the first episode to expose the fact he didn't even give his own opinions on it.
Rolfe did a great state of the union video a few months ago breaking this down. AVGN and Cinemassacre have been a business for a while now with him as the spokesperson and asked folks not to begrudge it since he wants to provide for his family.

they probably cut a deal to bring it back for this 'odysee' thing

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lol what an accident.

Is James just a mouthpiece for other people's writing now? That's what I'm getting out of the statement from his producer. I was kinda excited for Monster Mandess this year but finding out he's not writing anything makes me not even want to bother.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017

lol what an accident.

Is James just a mouthpiece for other people's writing now? That's what I'm getting out of the statement from his producer.

Yeah this is the main horrible thing, not the accidental plagerizism, which I can believe of James since this is the first case I've heard in 15 years of that and he's prolific

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is the main horrible thing, not the accidental plagerizism, which I can believe of James since this is the first case I've heard in 15 years of that and he's prolific
I personally got no doubt James isn't to blame. Other than not being on top of the content he's putting his name on. Oh well.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
lol what an accident.

Is James just a mouthpiece for other people's writing now? That's what I'm getting out of the statement from his producer. I was kinda excited for Monster Mandess this year but finding out he's not writing anything makes me not even want to bother.

the non-AVGN stuff I've heard him narrate sounds like he's reading a wikipedia and is bored out of his mind anyway, idk what people get out of this channel.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He hates doing the videos but they pay his bills, it's kind-of a sad state of affairs.

the non-AVGN stuff I've heard him narrate sounds like he's reading a wikipedia and is bored out of his mind anyway, idk what people get out of this channel.

It seems like it's been that way for a while for most of the Cinemassacre content.
Personally I had long unsubbed from his channel but someone here posted his recent C64 video and I really enjoyed it and thought maybe things were better now. But seems not.

more accidents
OP
OP
alr1ght

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It happened again...
I've only gone through the first half of the video paying attention to quotes, but here is the plagiarism so far, in order:

1) "Bad Taste is the story of four men from a government agency trying to deal with an alien invasion of a small New Zealand town" - https://screenagewasteland.com/bad-taste-1987-review/

James quote from video: "Not those boys, but these four men from a government agency trying to deal with an alien invasion in a small New Zealand town" (1:39)

2) "Like Peter Jackson who directed, co-written, acted, edited, cinematography and did the special effects" - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092610/reviews - post by user lost-in-limbo:

James quote from video: "So Jackson handled acting, writing, directing, cinematography, editing, and special effects for the film." (2:06)

3) "He's bloodthirsty (his interrogation methods include pounding a bayonet into Robert's heel while hanging him upside down off a cliff), clumsy, funny and a little too full of himself" - https://screenagewasteland.com/bad-taste-1987-review/

James quote from video: "He's bloodthirsty, clumsy, funny, and a little too full of himself" (2:28)

And again...
www.resetera.com

Cinemassacre's Monster Madness Returns with Cinemassacre's Monster Madness: Around the World! (31 Episodes)

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemassacre/comments/pzlsen/the_monster_madness_28_days_later_episode_is/hf21b7y/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 Justin Silverman has commented on the plagiarism.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020
Yeah the whole issue seems to be hiring quality people, but I really do wonder what James works on that he can't even do a relatively slapdash version of Monster Madness now. He doesn't have a full time job apart from site content right (and not working on another full feature length movie?)?

He hates doing the videos but they pay his bills, it's kind-of a sad state of affairs.

Curious based on what, and what is his actual passion? Making full movies?

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
The Bad Taste example is iffy until you get to the last quote. Id imagine overlap happens a lot when people describe movies plots and moments in them in reviews.

The other examples are pretty damming tho.

Oct 25, 2017
So not only was the planned Bad Taste review plagiarized, but so was The Host.
Best move is to probably cancel posting the rest of the videos. Do some major reorganization because this shit is foul.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Was Screenwave involved in these? I know they've taken over a lot of behind the scenes stuff in AVGN so James can be more present with his family.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Best move is to cancel monster madness at this point, scrap the plans for this year and maybe do a few episodes at the end of October once the screenwave team has redone the scripts from scratch and made sure their reviews are actually original.

This whole situation is the most damning for James and his content. James is clearly a good guy, but clearly he needs to hire better people to write for him.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah the whole issue seems to be hiring quality people, but I really do wonder what James works on that he can't even do a relatively slapdash version of Monster Madness now. He doesn't have a full time job apart from site content right (and not working on another full feature length movie?)?
Curious based on what, and what is his actual passion? Making full movies?

I think he's just inefficient with his work flow. He did a behind the scenes videos a while back and remember thinking there's much easier ways to do what he's doing.

Anyway he's back to doing nerd full time with the podcast, movie content and his band taking up time as well. I think he said he has a couple short film ideas in the works too. A lot of people have a hate hard-on for screenwave but James still does a lot of the work and has control over his content ideas. Screenwave is there for production support especially on the more elaborate videos. Every third or so nerd video has been noticeably more complex. It seems like he's having fun infusing his love of movies into the nerd videos.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Is that really a surprise? It was a movie based on a crude internet show about a basement dweller that plays old crappy games. The audience was limited to the existing AVGN fanbase and not much else.

Just because it was a lore movie doesn't mean it had to be terrible. The AVGN movie is awful and the only reason it doesn't get ripped to shreds more is because James is a nice guy that people genuinely like. If James was a punk like his old pal Doug Walker I'm sure we'd see a lot more video essays on the avgn film.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who remebers the state of youtube when he was masive and everyone was copying what he did this is deeply ironic.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising that more episodes are guilty of the same thing.

Just because it was a lore movie doesn't mean it had to be terrible. The AVGN movie is awful and the only reason it doesn't get ripped to shreds more is because James is a nice guy that people genuinely like. If James was a punk like his old pal Doug Walker I'm sure we'd see a lot more video essays on the avgn film.

Regardless of the quality of the movie, it's a huge accomplishment that it got made at all. It's just crazy thinking about it, that James' video shitposts spawned a feature-length film. I didn't like it at all, but I'm glad he got to make it.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I feel bad for James on some level since this is probalby more the writers fault but at the same time - he probalby should have checked the scripts more closely