• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Now we gotta get Blockbuster back.

That could've worked had they implemented it years sooner.

I remember I even considered trying them out at one point because it was nice to be able to go to a store to swap it out with something else.

Of course, by the time they actually put it in place, there were barely any stores left, lol.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they wanna be tigerdirect. Little to no warehouses theyre just a middleman website(like amazon for third party sellers).
What's funny is that they WERE TigerDirect. TD's parent company was the one who bought the Circuit City name after the bankruptcy, and the websites had the exact same listings. They sold the name to these guys in 2016.

Elginer

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
My first DVD player and DVD (Ghostbusters) was purchased at a Circuit City. I really liked them much more than Best Buy.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Ya know, if they come back and offer people a decent stock and if they don't have it they can guarantee 1 day delivery to their door step...and they offer decent deals on top of it.

That might entice me to shop there. But I don't really know what else would do well for them.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
retail truly never dies anymore, hell someone has montgomery wards back as ecommerce/catalog company. same for fingerhut and treasure chest. mervyns supposedly will relaunch locations in california this year.

i think city can carve out a niche for themselves, best buy has been doing fairly well and theres room for more in the space. non appeal retail is showing signs of life again. im guessing someone had to acquire the assets back though? last i read they were bought by compusa/tiger direct before going bust...

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
CC had the best deals before Amazon took over. Even with taxes, Amazon is getting worse and worse as time goes on. I hope they can compete somehow.

Oct 26, 2017
The Last Blockbuster remains one of the best fake twitter accounts on the platform:

Yeah, it actually used to be "Make it a Blockbuster night". Unfortunately for Blockbuster it generally had a slightly negative connotation since it usually meant you were stuck at home with your parents or alone. "Damn, I can't find anyone to hang out with, I might as well make it a Blockbuster night with mom and pop (or my cat)".

Whereas "Netflix and chill" was a perfect euphemism for casual sex for millennials as well as a good match for the burgeoning Tinder culture. Blockbuster just seemed old-fashioned in comparison.

That said, Blockbuster still had a much better movie selection 7 years ago than Netflix does today with their streaming content. And it hasn't helped that Netflix is slowly killing their DVD/Bluray business. There is a segment of the market that is still under served.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Just opened the paper there it was.

Edit- Dang Krejlooc

always on the last page someone beats me to it...never on the first few pages... always the last page.. such a cruel joke the internet is.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just opened the paper there it was.

Edit- Dang Krejlooc

always on the last page someone beats me to it...never on the first few pages... always the last page.. such a cruel joke the internet is.

I could sense you were about to post this. It was like a tingle in my bones. I knew I had to drop what i was doing and get to a computer and post that video ASAP once it started.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Well, H.H. Gregg went into the place of my old Circuit City meaning that space is now available! I feel like Circuit City was WAY ahead of Best Buy when it came to doling out crazy game deals.

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could understand them being revived as some manner of e-commerce site given the branding but I am absolutely flabbergasted that they would actually aim to reinvest in physical retail locations given both their own history and the current decline in brick-and-mortar retail.

I'm curious to know what the dimensions of their stores will be. Are they going for something smaller scale or are they intending to go big, like FYE and Best Buy?

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
I always loved Circuit City, the look and feel of the store, but the employees in every single one of the stores I ever visited were the dirt worst of all the retail stores I have ever been to. It was a constant battle every single time I had to interact with any of them. Even worse than it is with dealing with folks at Best Buy. Hopefully they change that aspect of the stores.

I could understand them being revived as some manner of e-commerce site given the branding but I am absolutely flabbergasted that they would actually aim to reinvest in physical retail locations given both their own history and the current decline in brick-and-mortar retail.

I'm curious to know what the dimensions of their stores will be. Are they going for something smaller scale or are they intending to go big, like FYE and Best Buy?

Once the stores closed they did get bought out, or something, and then had a new website launch using the old branding and logo and all of that. Now the CircuitCity.com site redirects to http://circuitcitycorporation.com/ and you get a popup that says "Something Amazing is Coming Soon!Join our VIP email list for special perks, early access and updates from Circuit City".

When did the relaunched website end where you couldn't order stuff from them anymore again? I don't know anyone that ever used it after the stores ended when it relaunched, but I know for a fact it was active in an attempt to use the branding.

EDIT:

Here is a story on what I'm talking about from back in 2009...

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...Systemax-Launches-New-CircuitCity.com-Website

PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Systemax Inc. (NYSE:SYX) today announced it has completed the acquisition of the Circuit City e-commerce business and launched the new and improved CircuitCity.com website. The new CircuitCity.com features low everyday prices, great deals, a wide selection of products, fast shipping, world-class 24/7 customer service, advanced search capabilities, and enhanced content, including photo galleries and videos of thousands of the most popular consumer electronics and computer products.

Richard Leeds, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Systemax, commented, "This acquisition and quick launch of the all new CircuitCity.com further solidifies Systemax's position as a leader in online retailing of value-priced, branded computers and consumer electronics. Circuit City is one of the iconic brands in U.S. electronics retailing with a 60-year legacy. With the longstanding leadership of our TigerDirect.com business and the growing contribution of our CompUSA business acquired last year, we think Systemax is uniquely positioned to best carry forward the great Circuit City brand in the online space."

On May 19, 2009 Systemax closed on its agreement to acquire certain trademarks, trade names, domains including www.CircuitCity.com, customer lists and information, and other intangible assets of Circuit City's e-commerce business. The purchase price was $14 million in cash plus a share of future revenue generated utilizing those assets over a 30-month period. Under the terms of the agreement, the minimum future revenue guaranteed to Circuit City is $3 million. The Bankruptcy Court issued its order approving the transaction on May 15, 2009 following a public auction conducted on May 11, 2009.

Last edited:

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lot of people don't remember that circuit city salesmen worked on commission and when Best Buy came in town they put CC out of business

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
As a former employee of both Best Buy and Circuit City, I always thought CC was a whole hell of a lot better. I am having a hard time seeing how this is a good idea for them, but I'll absolutely take a trip to a new store.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man, who needs Circuit City.

Someone tell me when CompUSA makes a comeback.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
That said, Blockbuster still had a much better movie selection 7 years ago than Netflix does today with their streaming content. And it hasn't helped that Netflix is slowly killing their DVD/Bluray business. There is a segment of the market that is still under served.

We're almost approaching a world where a Blockbuster could make a comeback. Maybe not even necessarily as a brick and mortar store but almost more like a service that is what Netflix was like 5 years ago.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I worked for Circuit City for a few years. Left about 5 years before they went out of business.

The writing was on the wall when I left. Rather than keep their own identity, they just kept trying to be more and more like Best Buy.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible, terrible timing as a B&M electronic store makes little sense in 2018. That said, I do wonder how they plan to disrupt said industry. At the end of the day more competition is not a bad thing.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Man, who needs Circuit City.

Someone tell me when CompUSA makes a comeback.

I worked Lost Prevention at the CompUSA in San Francisco...one of my first jobs. Had so much fun with the staff and Managers there. They also got commission for Laptop/Computer sales.

Was able to afford my first PocketPC, after it being open box item + plus Manager's discount. I was Juiced!

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
untitled-222.gif

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
"The IBM web commerce platform will allow Circuit City to expand offerings for a personalized shopping experience and enhance the product discovery journey."

WTF at that sentence

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
CC just have to be a red version of BB. they pretty much were up to date when the future stuff made changes even against amazon.

Oct 30, 2017
The biggest problem I had with CC was their floor staff were commission based for years. Walking in these people had an agenda to sell/up-sell you every time. I refused to go in because of that.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...-Selects-Skinny-Installation-Service-Provider

RISCO, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Skinny IT, a Frisco-based information technology (IT) service provider, today announced Circuit City has selected the company to be the consumer electronics retailer's installation services provider.

"Through this partnership with Skinny IT, we will now be able to provide that full-service turnkey option to consumers who need help in that final installation stage."

Using Skinny IT's new Services as a Merchandising SKU, or S.A.M.S., customers will have the option to have a field technician install their purchases for them. This post-purchase support will allow Circuit City to be a true full-service retailer for its customers.

"It is no longer enough for manufacturers and retailers to simply offer hardware and software for purchase. Consumers are demanding full-service support throughout the purchasing journey from buying recommendations to installation," said Sam Darwish, CEO of Skinny IT. "S.A.M.S. is a smart services automation tool that offers a higher level of services all retailers should look to provide. We are excited Circuit City has decided to offer this solution in their new services strategy and look forward to assisting the company in rolling it out this year."

Working as an extension of the Circuit City team, Skinny IT's field certified technicians will ensure customers have the appropriate equipment, install and verify the technology is working properly, while consistently providing the highest level of customer service. In most cases, the technicians can offer same day or next day appointments regardless of location. Skinny IT will also ensure Circuit City customer service representatives are equipped to answer potential customer questions during the purchasing process of the installation option.

"When we began determining how we wanted to structure the new Circuit City, we knew installation had to be part of our services to stand out among others," said Ronny Shmoel, CEO of Circuit City. "Through this partnership with Skinny IT, we will now be able to provide that full-service turnkey option to consumers who need help in that final installation stage."

Circuit City will roll out this new service offering in the first quarter of 2018 when it deploys its updated branding and storefronts. A phased roll out with more robust offerings, such as an e-commerce site option, will be expected in the coming months.

Interesting move.

Oct 30, 2017
I always loved Circuit City, the look and feel of the store, but the employees in every single one of the stores I ever visited were the dirt worst of all the retail stores I have ever been to. It was a constant battle every single time I had to interact with any of them. Even worse than it is with dealing with folks at Best Buy. Hopefully they change that aspect of the stores.

I recently went to Best Buy looking for your run-of-the-mill CD player. The employee said "we don't have much, but we have a few" and led me to the audio receivers. Then she left.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I bought my first DVD player at Circuit City back in the day.

It came with DIVX support of all things.

Then they gave me a $100 rebate check because they ended DIVX support less than a year later.