• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I've found this casting ad: http://www.nyt.org.uk/my-account/opportunities/film-theatre-and-tv-industry-castings

For anyone worried this will be white-only cast.

Whoever gets the role, I bet will get harrassed online by racist trolls...

She would have been harrassed and criticized regardless. Look at Iron Fist... casting was criticized for staying true to the source. it doesn't matter what they do for any character. People are going to complain because "reasons"

Pretty sure i've already seen a large group of people criticize Cavill for the Geralt casting on these boards alone.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Weird how we separate skin from hair.

Can you imagine being racist based on hair colour? Probably a star trek episode

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Is this really a problem in 2018?
Can't people grow the fuck up. I hate racists!

Yet somehow you're probably up in arms when a role gets played by a white male/female when ethnicity from the source material differs.

Heh, I wonder what the shitstorm is gonna be when we start to hear stuff from the Lord of the Rings project.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
She's Geralt and Yen's adopted daughter so what does it matter? Amazing opportunity for a young actor of color.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The creator said The Witcher is supposed to be a diverse world and he in fact hates that his books feature CDPR's artwork on the covers now. He'll probably be happy when the books get new editions featuring the cast of the show.

He really is still chewing on the fact he was so stupid and gave CDPR the rights in exchange for a slice of bread and a glass of water so they can make one of the best video game franchises ever and make a lot of money.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm all for diversity, but isn't her lineage kind of locked in being of Cintra/Nilfgaardian blood?

I haven't read all the books, but from what I've read, those bloodlines have been pretty ivory (happy to he wrong here).

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
This is based of the novels instead of the games right? Which takes place quite a while before the events of the games so Ciri would be around 13-ish.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I guess it's pretty normal for many to want the main characters to look as identical as possible to the characters in the video game. People have to be okay with this without being called racists.

I just want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly. If people want the show to be casted as close to the source material that the show is based as accurately as possible they're racist?

if you have a problem with a character being nonwhite?

yes, thats racism my guy

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for diversity, but isn't her lineage kind of locked in being of Cintra/Nilfgaardian blood?

I haven't read all the books, but from what I've read, those bloodlines have been pretty ivory (happy to he wrong here).
Yes, but Nilfgaardian in the books is slightly more ambiguous, since it's the southern regions, so colored Nilfgaardians are a thing. I can fully see them going for a colored Emhyr, too.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind, but I'm only a fan of the games so I don't know what the deal with the books is at all. I wonder if I would feel differently if I was a big fan of the character, though.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's Heimdall all over again. If a person's skin color isn't important to the story, it doesn't matter who plays them.

I don't remember a single person complaining about Idris Elba playing Roland in the Dark Tower movie.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly. If people want the show to be casted as close to the source material that the show is based as accurately as possible they're racist?

You have to ask yourself what it is you like about the source material so much that you don't want it changed in this regard though.

Is it the arc of the character and her motivations/beliefs? Because she can still have all of that regardless of her ethnicity.

Or is it something superficial?

OP
OP
Potterson

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Oh right. Surely you can cast other ethnicity in roles not already established?

Seems odd to change it from the game to the show.

Yeah, but that would be casting POC as some side character. I think the whole point of giving POC important roles (even if the original character was white in the source) is to make minorities less... minor. Like, to show they are NOT less important and are not marginalized. Although I'm from almost 100% white country so I might not fully understand it.

Of course I bet many Polish fans will be outraged.

But as I see it - Ciri being white was NEVER important. It's not her primary characteristic. So why not change it?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the casting is good it really should not matter but we know there will be that element that goes nuclear

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
She's Geralt and Yen's adopted daughter so what does it matter? Amazing opportunity for a young actor of color.
In the story she is the child of two, let's say, important people. If you change the race, you'll have to just make sure it matches with those parents as well (at least one of them, I guess). Otherwise it seems tad weird.
I think the stories assumed that Cintra was generally white (or at least the same race as the rest of the Northern Realms), so I guess they could make Emyhr also non-white?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of BAME, but that makes sense since it seems to be a UK thing. Was thinking it was weird how Hispanics weren't also singled out. :P

No problem with Ciri being a different race as long as her ashen-gray hair and emerald-green eyes are kept intact, those were always the biggest standouts in the books and the game. It'll be interesting to see if they make Nilfgaardians all be a minority.

Also, I'm really curious if she'll be more like book Ciri, game Ciri, or a little bit of both.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Yes, but Nilfgaardian in the books is slightly more ambiguous, since it's the southern regions, so colored Nilfgaardians are a thing. I can fully see them going for a colored Emhyr, too.
Cool good to know: surely the ashen hair part will be kept I'm thinking though.. that is somewhat locked in the books.

I can see Idris Elba as an amazing Emhyr...that would be bad ass!

Ryan7556

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Slight tangent, Idris Elba would have made an incredible Geralt.

wv4rte5bl9711.png

He did have the look of a Witcher in Thor: Ragnarok.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You have to ask yourself what it is you like about the source material so much that you don't want it changed in this regard though.

Is it the arc of the character and her motivations/beliefs? Because she can still have all of that regardless of her ethnicity.

Or is it something superficial?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care who they cast, I'm gonna watch the hell out of it. Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time and my wife loves the books. But , Ciri is white, that's just a fact. It's not up to me to decide what importance that plays in how she's handled as a character. When I heard there was a Witcher show being made, I assumed due to the source material that a white person would play Ciri.

It is what it is, it won't bother me to any extent, I just hope whoever they get kills it. But it is laughable to me that if you want people to be casted to match the source material your racist, people really love to apply that to as much as possible to a point it dilutes what it really means.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Wasn't she described as having off white/olive skin in the book? Maybe I'm missremebering. Not that it matters. If they want change her race it doesn't really matter.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What? How can this be? Isn't the character Polish?

*gets handed notes*

What? The books and games don't take place in Poland? Nobody is Polish? And there are minorities in Poland anyway?

*hushed voices*

It's a fictional world full of elves, dwarves and monsters? Magical genetic engineering too? Pfft! Make her blue then, what does it matter?

That said, Ciri does need to have white or ashen hair, it's part of the plot

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, people love their black people with white hair. Anime as fuck.

Edit: Yes, being irked by this makes you racist.