• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
UK
You would be wrong then. Why are you automatically a racist if you disagree with an artistic choice? Yes, it's ultimately their choice to make, and that's FINE. I don't like it, simple as that. Am I boycotting the show? No.

I would feel the same way if for example they made a GTA San Andreas show based on CJ and the actor was white. I don't want to watch the show and have that feeling in my brain constantly screaming "that's not Ciri, that's not CJ."

That actress could nail the character completely. It's not going to change how I feel about it.

The fact you have to make up a hypothetical because you can't think of one genuine example of either of the things I mentioned proves my point? I mean if you cared at all you could just Google whitewashing and post an article like this.

Also I didn't call you racist because you have an issue with a black woman potentially being cast as a fictional character, I called you racists because your reasoning was "Diversity for the sake of diversity" which is generally only a take that racist people have because they never have issues with racial minority roles being portrayed by white actors or all white casts.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The fact you have to make up a hypothetical because you can't think of one genuine example of either of the things I mentioned proves my point? I mean if you cared at all you could just Google whitewashing and post an article like this.

Also I didn't call you racist because you have an issue with a black woman potentially being cast as a fictional character, I called you racists because your reasoning was "Diversity for the sake of diversity" which is generally only a take that racist people have because they never have issues with racial minority roles being portrayed by white actors or all white casts.

Enjoy the ignore then. Don't have time for presumptuous bullshit. I'm not a racist.

Oct 25, 2017
Every society improves the more diverse it is. Diversity is a fantastic thing. The less homogeneous we are the better we are as a culture and people. This proven time and time again.

What kind of diversity are you talking about? If its culturally for example in my country and others in latin america historically it has been a huge disadvantage to move forward and create a united identity that would allow the nation to move forward instead having the different cultures trying to impose themselves over the rest, the native american people being the ones that have suffered the most from it becoming second or even third class citizens in their own land.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
In the English translation of The Lady of the Lake, there's a passage after the arrival of the Nilfgaardians in chapter 9 that goes, "The officer looked at Ciri, and his eyes burned in the slits of the helmet, noticing and registering everything. The paleness. The scar on her cheek. The blood on her sleeve and hand. The white streaks in her hair." I wonder how paleness is worded in the original - is it in reference to her general skin color or more her temporary appearance as a result of her ordeal?

There are a couple of other descriptions I happened upon reading The Time of Contempt wherein Ciri is taking a tour of Gors Velen and she's described as being "white with rage" and "white as a sheet" at differing points. I wonder here, too, if the English translation is faithful to the original or if it just uses expressions not present in the Polish.
In those cases it's literally "the paleness," "paling in rage" and "pale as a corpse."
While one could say that it doesn't actually describe her complexion, personally, I don't believe that an author who completely omitted any mention of skin tone diversity would use those words to describe a person of darker complexion.
He seems to have made some progress since then, but at the time he definitely defaulted to white.

Sapkowski's elves are "traditionally" white, and Ciri is supposed to resemble them, along with the fair-skinned women in her family (her grandmother's hands are described as literally white).
In addition, her double was described as "extremely pale," which would be one of the reasons she was chosen to impersonate Ciri.

White with rage and white as a sheet are not absolute descriptions, but relative. The expressions could be used on a person of any ethnicity. Same with pale, for that matter.

Generally speaking the books visually describe a person as much as is relevant the first time you meet them. That it took until the ninth chapter to offhandedly be described as pale shows how little importance her paleness is.
Well, not quite, her paleness makes her resemble an elf and she's mistaken for an elf on page two... and that's from behind (also, that's seven books in).

Last edited:

Deleted member 43462

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
Don't really care, a good actor is a good actor.

But I do find it interesting, that Witcher is a Polish series, which means it reflects its own history and culture. I would feel iffy if a white person played a Japanese character in an adaptation of a Japanese property (ie. Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell for example).

However, I guess this gets into the whole territory of adaptations (localizations) etc. As well as authors intent. If they are on board with a different interpretation, then right on.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really care, a good actor is a good actor.

But I do find it interesting, that Witcher is a Polish series, which means it reflects its own history and culture. I would feel iffy if a white person played a Japanese character in an adaptation of a Japanese property (ie. Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell for example).

However, I guess this gets into the whole territory of adaptations (localizations) etc. As well as authors intent. If they are on board with a different interpretation, then right on.
ghost in the shell is a fictionalized version of a japanese city in the future. Therefore, makes sense people would be Japanese.

Witcher is NOT Poland.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I have black friends who thinks Ciri should be played by a white person because of the source material. Are they racists? Because people call me a racist when having the same opinion.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In those cases it's literally "the paleness," "paling in rage" and "pale as a corpse."
While one could say that it doesn't actually describe her complexion, personally, I don't believe that an author who completely omitted any mention of skin tone diversity would use those words to describe a person of darker complexion.
He seems to have made some progress since then, but at the time he definitely defaulted to white.

Sapkowski's elves are "traditionally" white, and Ciri is supposed to resemble them, along with the fair-skinned women in her family (her grandmother's hands are described as literally white).
In addition, her double was described as "extremely pale," which would be one of the reasons she was chosen to impersonate Ciri.

Well, not quite, her paleness makes her resemble an elf and she's mistaken for an elf on page two... and that's from behind (also, that's seven books in).

Thank you, I appreciate the insight.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have black friends who thinks Ciri should be played by a white person because of the source material. Are they racists? Because people call me a racist when having the same opinion.
I mean, you did compare making Ciri non-white to fattening up Gerlat several pages back, so, I dunno? Do your black Norwegian friends know you equate people of color to being overweight?

But no, wanting Ciri to be white doesn't make anyone racist, I'm brown and in my group circle there are plenty of them who want her to look like she does in the game, while some of them would love to see an actress of Arab/Persian/Indian descent playing her. That's ok, no one is racist for wanting Ciri to have a specific skin tone, be it white or non-white. You see, the issue here is that some of the people who want her to be white can't help it but unveil their ugly views on why do they truly want her to be white, and those racists are trying to lump themselves with people who'd like to see Ciri portrayed the way she did in the game to make it seem like people here are calling everyone who wants her to be white racist.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Lol come on if the AUTHOR HIMSELF is okay with it, what's with all the fuss? If ANYONE has the highest authority to decide whether something is okay or not with a story, it's the person that created it originally.

Who are you really if you are acting all fussy about this? Do you own The Witcher? Do you create The Witcher? If not, then please kindly do shut up and just go with it.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Lol come on if the AUTHOR HIMSELF is okay with it, what's with all the fuss? If ANYONE has the highest authority to decide whether something is okay or not with a story, it's the person that created it originally.

Who are you really if you are acting all fussy about this? Do you own The Witcher? Do you create The Witcher? If not, then please kindly do shut up and just go with it.

The author was obviously silenced by NDAs and has been threatened that SJW brigades will kill his entire family if he speaks out against it. Or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
You are confusing the points i made. As I said in the first sentance, adding PoC actors is all good, but Ciri is a special case because of her heritage and its ramifications in the story in the source material. The second point was about something different, the tendency to group all white people into the same category and not distinguishing between different countries and cultures, instead just reducing it to a simple racial argument, ie white/non white, and then through that making them complicit in americas inequality problem.
since this is all imaginary you could change her race and nothing in the story would change as long as you kept her maternal bloodline, hair and eyes

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
hey sabrina, second part of the claim is true, i'd just like to come back on this:

Of course diversity enriches the lore. When has a homogenous culture ever enriched the lore of a world? This has the author's blessing, so it shouldn't even be a question.

diversity always enriches the lore, but then they could have introduced new characters or even make Geralt spend his adventures in south Nilfgard. It's not like the lore is totally deprived of any group regarded as oppressed in our world, so locations and more fictional characters was always a possibility.
They actively chose to reshape a character while there were tons of other ways to go. So the « why » question is entirely legitimate (even if we don't have definitive confirmation yet)

and if someone could redirect me to where Andrzej Sapkowski gave his blessing, that'd be nice, because on many occasions he mentionned he was not involved in any production aspect.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
and if someone could redirect me to where Andrzej Sapkowski gave his blessing, that'd be nice, because on many occasions he mentionned he was not involved in any production aspect.

The person who's writing the script has reported on Twitter about her conversations with the author. If we believe her (and bloody hell why shouldn't we?), she has his full blessing to change ethnicities as she sees fit.

I wouldn't expect Sapkowski to directly say anything on the matter. He's approaching GRR Martin's levels of bitterness about people adapting or discussing his work.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
ghost in the shell is a fictionalized version of a japanese city in the future. Therefore, makes sense people would be Japanese.

Witcher is NOT Poland.

mmh... i disagree on both statement. fictional character in future tokyo does not mean main chars should not be white or anything else than japanese. going this road we could very well imagine that a future tokyo would hold much more diversity than it has today.
i hate that johanson got the main role tbh, but im just saying the argument you're pushing is not valid. By extention, both Ciri's parents are from a region in the lore where people are white skinned, males sense Ciri would be white skinned.

also witcher is not poland, but choosing to change a character's look down to its ethnicity in a well established lore requires more justification than doing nothing. For Ciri as well as Kusanagi, if that justification is not there, people will question.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
also witcher is not poland, but choosing to change a character's look down to its ethnicity in a well established lore requires more justification than doing nothing. For Ciri as well as Kusanagi, if that justification is not there, people will question.

The elephant in the room here is the perception that white people are over represented in media. Which leads to "what may be fine for one group, may not be fine for another".

Depending on where you stand relative to that statement, "every minority role should be respected in adaptations, white roles are for everyone to take" may be a perfectly reasonable take.

It's not a two way street.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
The person who's writing the script has reported on Twitter about her conversations with the author. If we believe her (and bloody hell why shouldn't we?), she has his full blessing to change ethnicities as she sees fit.

I wouldn't expect Sapkowski to directly say anything on the matter. He's approaching GRR Martin's levels of bitterness about people adapting or discussing his work.

i think he's not saying anything also for legal aspects. in another interview he said he's shutting his mouth because of potential financial retaliations.

now as for the script author, she's probably not lying (she could have said nothing at all, but saying the opposite would have been embarassing if the question was asked her.), and it's fine in any case.
that does not answer the « Why » question

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
The elephant in the room here is the perception that white people are over represented in media. Which leads to "what may be fine for one group, may not be fine for another".

Depending on where you stand relative to that statement, "every minority role should be respected in adaptations, white roles are for everyone to take" may be a perfectly reasonable take.

It's not a two way street.

whether or not i agree to that statment is debatable, but it's off the point im trying to make.
Performing a major change in a character's assets, look, origins is always a bold choice that is always subject to critics, whatever « way off the street » we're speaking of.

Now if we pull the ethnicity representation in the debate (we're somewhat mixing oranges and apples, but why not), there were still plenty of ways to address that. The fact they went down that road specifically means they actively want to change the lore instead of enriching it.
and it also actively displaces the « Why » debate from lore considerations toward socio-cultural considerations, and they pretty much knew it at the time they made that decision.
(which leads to another « why » question i guess)

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
It's just this tweet thread:

While he obviously supports a more diverse setting, he's never been quoted as saying anything about changing any specific character and we don't even know what the showrunner is planning regarding Ciri, as all of this is based on a fairly vague casting ad.
There's also a catch in quoting Sapkowski's approval as a statement of intent - the man simply doesn't want to have control over any adaptation and as such he gives them permission to change anything they want.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm not following the tv show news closely, but what other casting news do we have besides Heny Cavill? Do we have Yen or Jaskier yet? Any other supporting character? Has Ciri casting call been confirmed?

I think I read in this thread that shooting starts soon or am I way off?

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
It's just this tweet thread:

While he obviously supports a more diverse setting, he's never been quoted as saying anything about changing any specific character and we don't even know what the showrunner is planning regarding Ciri, as all of this is based on a fairly vague casting ad.
There's also a catch in quoting Sapkowski's approval as a statement of intent - the man simply doesn't want to have control over any adaptation and as such he gives them permission to change anything they want.

Yeah Sapkowski didn't want anything to do with Witcher games either. He took the money and said, that they can do what they want. It's their adaptation.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
whether or not i agree to that statment is debatable, but it's off the point im trying to make.
Performing a major change in a character's assets, look, origins is always a bold choice that is always subject to critics, whatever « way off the street » we're speaking of.

Now if we pull the ethnicity representation in the debate (we're somewhat mixing oranges and apples, but why not), there were still plenty of ways to address that. The fact they went down that road specifically means they actively want to change the lore instead of enriching it.
and it also actively displaces the « Why » debate from lore considerations toward socio-cultural considerations, and they pretty much knew it at the time they made that decision.

The "why" is probably mostly related to the fact that the series has to be broadcast in the US as its main market. It's an entertainment product; Sapkowski may very well have written his books with his overwhelmingly white polish audience in mind, and that's fine, but Netflix is shooting the adaptation with a diverse audience in mind, and thus giving a lot of attention to representation, and that's also fine.

That's why the "product representing the culture" argument is a double edge sword: the fact that the Witcher is a polish book series and thus "resembles" its audience despite being a work of fiction justifies the adaptation "resembling" its intended audience, which is not (in any shape or form) the polish market exclusively.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017

Why do you consider the hue of the characters skin a "huge" change?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Sapkowski didn't want anything to do with Witcher games either. He took the money and said, that they can do what they want. It's their adaptation.
This is how all stuff like this should be handled. Different interpretations of source material lead to great creativity.

I'm also looking at you Disney.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If N'Jobu was recast as a white person wouldn't you feel that was a huge change?
Black-Panther-Characters.jpg

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Terrible example that only exposes your own racist views.

This is a very bold claim to say the least, i think he just tried to illustrate what I was trying to say. The illustration was wrong. Does not mean the person is racist.

I did not say that. I said it as a general rule: undertaking major changes always leads to questions. Obviously the Ciri case has more context to that so a simple change of hue carries more changes.
If you change ethnical origin of a character (be it prime or secondary), it means the whole chararcter background most likely gets changed, not only in the lore itself, but as suggested by many, toward people in real life who took partly ownership of it or identified themselves to that character. And again, from base story Ciri is descendant from white ethnicity background, so for the script writer this also cascades on more parts of the lore/backstory

If a color was just a color, we would not have had the favorable context for such conversation to begin with.

To take on our friend's bad example, if one of the characters in Black Panther (not the main one, but a substantially important to the plot, with an already established look and background) was turned into anything else than black, people and fans would have asked for an explanation and that would also have caused an uproar.
And I now don't see that as a false equivalence. The way that equivalence is treated is a different story. As our buddy Visanideth said earlier, relative to many people this is not a 2 way street.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Clearly a false equivalence.

That would be more than changing skin color.

Terrible example that only exposes your own racist views.
My point would be that Witcher largely represents slavic white polish culture as a fantasy. Black Panther is sort of a representation of black afro-american culture as a fantasy setting.

Like, don't get it mixed, I'm open to a new interpretation of Witcher as a new show, but I don't think it's shocking that people are surprised changes of diversity are applied. Frankly we don't know what to expect of the direction save for the odd casting of Henry Cavill, but prior to the announcement I think most assumed a TV Show would be like the games or the books in tone and style. If Ciri is a POC then there's an inherent depictive difference already.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
You're gonna get banned, mate...just look at this thread history.
I assume you've already reported me. So much for honest belief, but someone would have to point out what is so wrong about what I think. I'm being 100% honest about these statements. If expressing this would do that, frankly I wouldn't want to be here anyway. That's not a healthy place for discussion when the topic is friggin about a change in skin color, a topic for discussion on a board where you discuss things. I mean, jesus.

But alas, as a Netflix show I see this as an americanization of Witcher anyway, so a change in direction is suitable in that sense.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I assume you've already reported me. So much for honest belief, but someone would have to point out what is so wrong about what I think. I'm being 100% honest about these statements. If expressing this would do that, frankly I wouldn't want to be here anyway. That's not a healthy place for discussion when the topic is friggin about a change in skin color, a topic for discussion on a board where you discuss things. I mean, jesus.

No man I never report people because I don't believe in bans. I don't think you racist, either.

Regarding the argument of a white Black Panther, that comes about every 2 pages, the reasoning of why is a false equivalence is that race is an integral part of that character, and that is not the case regarding Ciri.

Ciri would be the same character if she had a different skin color , whereas Black Panther would not.

Not seeing that makes you racist? I don't think so. I hope that you see the difference now, though. Or maybe soon.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I mean, you did compare making Ciri non-white to fattening up Gerlat several pages back, so, I dunno? Do your black Norwegian friends know you equate people of color to being overweight?

But no, wanting Ciri to be white doesn't make anyone racist, I'm brown and in my group circle there are plenty of them who want her to look like she does in the game, while some of them would love to see an actress of Arab/Persian/Indian descent playing her. That's ok, no one is racist for wanting Ciri to have a specific skin tone, be it white or non-white. You see, the issue here is that some of the people who want her to be white can't help it but unveil their ugly views on why do they truly want her to be white, and those racists are trying to lump themselves with people who'd like to see Ciri portrayed the way she did in the game to make it seem like people here are calling everyone who wants her to be white racist.
That's very well put.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
That's very well put.
That's fine, but to say Witcher's likeness to slavish polish culture, let alone polish history, despite being fiction is not a stretch, and to say that Ciri being white as a part of what makes that depiction authentic is not a stretch or "racist" in my opinion.

It's so easy and so sensational to pull the racist card and 70% of passer-bys will believe it the second they see it.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Oh right. Surely you can cast other ethnicity in roles not already established?

Seems odd to change it from the game to the show.

Why would it seem odd?
The Witcher series, mainly due to the lack of diversity in the source material, never placed much emphasis on racial diversity(apart from fictional races) so the characters, in that regard, are basically empty canvases.
Perfect preconditions to mix things up and modernize and improve upon the source material.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
You're gonna get banned, mate...just look at this thread history.

I actually pretty new in Era forum in general and i've only be discussing Dreams, a bit of no man sky, and quantic dream employee issue. But this thread does not give a good example from external people POV

I dont know about Absband's history tbh, but in the last page he just made a clumsy swap between to works of fictions. If even making that comparision = racism, then that thread is going in the wrong direction, in a sense that the question is actually not even debatable anymore.

We're talking fiction, we're talking work of arts, we're talking passion and good stories, we're talking about respect or twist of original piece/book/source material.
In my opinion, at no point should cultural and ethnicity representation consideration have so much influence over the turn of the discussion aka, it's an argument among others, not above and that should not decide who has the right to speak and who hasn't simply for suggesting a comparison.

It's just my personal view, but 'm totally ok that people would drag this realm of arguments even more into the discussion. But this will inevitably lead to bans.

Solo Kazama

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Well in polish media tehre is information that young Ciri will be casted as young polish girl (young polish actress).
So I bet "normal" Ciri will be also like in the book/game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Ciri would be the same character if she had a different skin color , whereas Black Panther would not.
A big part of Witcher as a story goes beyond the characters. Same goes for Black Panther in my eyes. That franchise depicts a futuristic chunk of society where afro-americanism of that age and fiction is explored and celebrated. Witcher isn't a celebration perhaps, but it is a likeness to polish culture and history as a slavic, white society. Removing that from it takes away its ability to delve into that in the same way that Lord of the Rings would lose its WW2 cues if you decided to change the ring and mordor into a different scenario where it's just orcs and humans fighting for territory. The "whiteness" to Witcher isn't EVERYTHING, that is part of its thesis, but the slavish polish perspective is, and you inevitably lose that as imagery by making the cast diverse and the theming progressive.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
My point would be that Witcher largely represents slavic white polish culture as a fantasy. Black Panther is sort of a representation of black afro-american culture as a fantasy setting.

Like, don't get it mixed, I'm open to a new interpretation of Witcher as a new show, but I don't think it's shocking that people are surprised changes of diversity are applied. Frankly we don't know what to expect of the direction save for the odd casting of Henry Cavill, but prior to the announcement I think most assumed a TV Show would be like the games or the books in tone and style. If Ciri is a POC then there's an inherent depictive difference already.

What is white Polish culture though? My great grandfather immigrated from Poland and he was Jewish, clearly his family had very different traditions than many others in Poland yet he was still decidedly Polish. Even though they are a very small minority I'm sure there are some people of color in Poland that are still every bit as much a part of that country, traditions may not match up 1 to 1 with the majority but whatever. It's also suggesting that changing the color of a character in a fantasy series removes Slavic/Polish culture, I'm not so sure that's the case.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
This is a very bold claim to say the least, i think he just tried to illustrate what I was trying to say. The illustration was wrong. Does not mean the person is racist.

I did not say that. I said it as a general rule: undertaking major changes always leads to questions. Obviously the Ciri case has more context to that so a simple change of hue carries more changes.
If you change ethnical origin of a character (be it prime or secondary), it means the whole chararcter background most likely gets changed, not only in the lore itself, but as suggested by many, toward people in real life who took partly ownership of it or identified themselves to that character. And again, from base story Ciri is descendant from white ethnicity background, so for the script writer this also cascades on more parts of the lore/backstory

If a color was just a color, we would not have had the favorable context for such conversation to begin with.

To take on our friend's bad example, if one of the characters in Black Panther (not the main one, but a substantially important to the plot, with an already established look and background) was turned into anything else than black, people and fans would have asked for an explanation and that would also have caused an uproar.
And I now don't see that as a false equivalence. The way that equivalence is treated is a different story. As our buddy Visanideth said earlier, relative to many people this is not a 2 way street.

In the case of ciri color is just a color. There is no "white ethnic" background or polish background to speak of. She's a fantasy character in a fantasy world.

The fact that you guys see white as the default that shouldn't be changed tells me where you stand. And yes it's racist.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017

This is not true. The fact that you see it this way is the problem.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Racism has several degrees. Remember this.

There isn't any problem if you, having fair skin, want Ciri to have fair skin. There isn't any problem if you have dark skin and you want Ciri to be black.

The problem begins when you try to impose your ideas on why Ciri should have this tone or that one.

Having said this, I hope they cast a GOOD actress. I couldn't give less fucks about skin tone.

Unless it's whitewhashing, of course...

I'm also angrier at Henry Cavill being cast as Geralt, but whatever.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This is not true. The fact that you see it this way is the problem.
The problem of what? Which problem?

I think there is a difference in different skin color. It's visually different and historically representative of cultural gaps. If Witcher was clearly some high-fantasy or futuristic setting I would be more open to it; if it wasn't so pre-defined, but it isn't; but it is, and it's going to have to take a strong shift in direction to convince me that a fundamental change in its depiction is justified for telling a "Witcher" story. And I'm open to that, but insofar as "What Witcher is already known for" I'm not nearly as casual about this change.