• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A week ago, we had a thread pointing out that CDPR's Cyberpunk Twitter account was promoting a cis cosplayer who was fetishizing the trans experience.

I thought a new thread would be appropriate for where the story has gone, to put more of a spotlight on it as the cosplayer herself has revealed herself to be unmistakably transphobic while CDPR keeps their tweet promoting her up:

Over the past week, she has also liked a number of transphobic tweets such as the following:

It's very difficult to believe that CDPR isn't seeing any of this. They still have their tweet up and they still have not commented on the issue. They simply do not care -- while profiting over the fetishization of trans people -- and that is becoming more and more clear each day.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
"All people have their own struggles" is ... not a great response when faced with the systemic oppression of a minority.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh gotta love a good what-aboutism.

Wonder when we start hearing about the trans friends they have.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
This is the blueprint of whataboutism. smh.
Why do people not understand that Transphobia/Homophobia is a general problem whereas instances of violence against CIS people are not.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I didn't expect someone who actually thought making a cosplay like that was okay to be a good person but damn what a response. She can eat fuckin' shit.

ZixlerBavala

Oct 29, 2017
This is all kinds of yikes and, adding to the whole crunch debacle, is just convincing me to wait and buy a used Complete Edition copy two years from now.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Man I really don't think I can support CP2077. Maybe a used copy at best. I just do not feel comfortable giving this company money.

Oct 25, 2017
3ad039f9eece51a4f3383f404d7c9e4a.gif

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I love that one of the arguments is that it's high quality so it doesn't matter if it's offensive. That glowing penis isn't even in the right spot.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Please excuse my ignorance.... But if a person does non-binary clothing cosplay and is "fetishizing the trans experience", wouldnt that make that person part of the trans community? Wearing not binary clothing, or dressing as a different gender would be classed as being a transvestite, wouldnt it? I have a feeling someone might correct me on this statement, so I'll say in advance I'm asking because I want to learn. If this comes across as offensive, that is not my intention. I'm all ears.

Edit: I googled to find if the phrase "transvestite" itself is considered offensive. Articles say it is, yet I know someone that I used to work with that would refer to themself as a transvestite (but we used to call them "her" when he was dressed in womnen's clothes as per their request)

Edit 2: I think a key distinction here that I also may have missed is that the cosplay was a one off "for the novelty", rather than it being a central part of the cosplayers identity.

Edit 3: "Cis men and women face acts of violence on a daily basis as well" is unpleasant. Might as well yell "Straight lives matter" at someone.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Fuck her. Like just ... yeah fuck her.

She ain't worth the time and CDPR has to stop doing this shit.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
"Everybody has some degree of inconvenience in their daily lives, so why bother about systematic violence and mistreatment of marginalized people!"
It's rather telling this is considered an accepted response in those circles.

Sep 7, 2020
Yeah this is fucked up, I was planning on getting this game on release. However, I am definitely not getting this game anymore. I cannot sit ideally by and support them when they repeatedly continue to disrespect trans and non-binary people.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please excuse my ignorance.... But if a person does cosplay and is "fetishizing the trans experience", wouldnt that make that person part of the trans community? Wearing not binary clothing, or dressing as a different gender would be classed as being a transvestite, wouldnt it? I have a feeling someone might correct me on this statement, so I'll say in advance I'm asking because I want to learn. If this comes across as offensive, that is not my intention. I'm all ears.
She decided to cosplay a fetishized ad of a trans person from Cyberpunk 2077 then decided to go even further and give herself a blowing non blue penis.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
So they just came out with an equivalent of "All Lives Matter" Cool cool cool.

How can every single piece of information about this game make it shittier. That's almost impressive if it wasn't infuriating and sad.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Please excuse my ignorance.... But if a person does non-binary clothing cosplay and is "fetishizing the trans experience", wouldnt that make that person part of the trans community? Wearing not binary clothing, or dressing as a different gender would be classed as being a transvestite, wouldnt it? I have a feeling someone might correct me on this statement, so I'll say in advance I'm asking because I want to learn. If this comes across as offensive, that is not my intention. I'm all ears.
I suggest you take a look at the thread that compiles all CDPR offenses towards the trans community. They explain very well why it's wrong. Also, I say this as someone that is cis and not part of the trans community: pleasd educate yourself. We should not be relying on the trans community to explain to us over and over why this shit is wrong.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Please excuse my ignorance.... But if a person does cosplay and is "fetishizing the trans experience", wouldnt that make that person part of the trans community? Wearing not binary clothing, or dressing as a different gender would be classed as being a transvestite, wouldnt it? I have a feeling someone might correct me on this statement, so I'll say in advance I'm asking because I want to learn. If this comes across as offensive, that is not my intention. I'm all ears.

Not at all, your clothes don't make your gender or sexuality. A cosplayer is a cosplayer, they decided to take a job from CDPR instead of passing it to a trans cosplayer, and then decided to make the fake dick glow blue. They're turning a marginalized group of people into a fetish object with this costume.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting. How they can't see that cis people aren't targeted, harassed and murdered for simply being cis is disturbing. Equating them as being the same is awful.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
"This marketing from a dystopian future is meant to show the commoditization and abuse of people's bodies and sexualities"

five minutes later..

*uses the exact same imagery to promote and celebrate their own game*

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Edit: I googled to find if the phrase "transvestite" itself is considered offensive. Articles say it is, yet I know someone that I used to work with that would refer to themself as a transvestite (but we used to call them "her" when he was dressed in womnen's clothes as per their request)

Wearing a sombrero and poncho on Halloween doesn't make you a Mexican. It makes you an asshole.

Same deal here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Not since I watched teenage girls turn their skin burnt red with bronzer in attempts to cosplay black characters out of a need for "A U T H E N T I C I T Y" have I seen such a weak argument.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Her response is pretty tone deaf but honestly I'm not surprised considering where she is from. Some countries/ parts of the world just aren't at the same level of understanding/ tolerance as others. Doesn't make it right. Just not surprised.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"This marketing from a dystopian future is meant to show the commoditization and abuse of people's bodies and sexualities"

five minutes later..

*uses the exact same imagery to promote and celebrate their own game*
CDPR has been talking out of both sides of their mouth for the entirety of this games existence.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, how do people not comprehend the fact that nobody targets cis people BECAUSE they're cis? Yes, bad stuff happens to them, but it's not for systemic reasons.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
" [chromanticore is] displayed there just as a thing, and that's the terrible part of it "

..by the way, check out this cosplay!!

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
As trashy as expected of someone promoted by CDPR. You know, that company making a game about capitalism gone mad while stanning for Elon Musk and having product placement