• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Michael Corbat defended the huge compensation gap between low-level employees and top management at Citigroup, saying it should inspire the rank-and-file workers who could someday fill his shoes.

"My answer is I am that person," Corbat said Thursday on CNBC's "Squawk on the Street. " "I started at our firm in 1983 at $17,000 a year."

The pay gap at Citigroup, led by Corbat since 2012, is the biggest among large U.S. banks. Corbat made $24.2 million last year, 486 times the median employee pay of $49,766. While other bank CEOs had similar paydays, higher median pay at Bank of America and J.P. Morgan Chase meant that Citigroup had the most extreme ratio.

That comparison is unfair to Citigroup because of the employees the bank has in places like Mexico and the Philippines, where compensation is low, he said. Excluding those workers, the "average employee in the U.S. makes right about $100,000 a year," he said.

Income inequality at large U.S. corporations is a hot-button issue ahead of the 2020 U.S. elections. The pay ratio is even more extreme outside of banking, in industries like retail, food and entertainment. For instance, Disney CEO Bob Iger made 1,424 times the median pay of his employees, prompting Abigail Disney to call his compensation "insane."

This guy is insane. Everyone knows that the days of companies investing in their employee's long term like this are long gone. No one is rising up from the mailroom anymore. Just as companies are not paying for MBAs, by and large. We are all mercs now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/02/citigroup-ceo-corbat-defends-pay-gap-i-started-in-1983-at-17000.html

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Do not advocate violence on the forum
Can wait until people like him are hung in cages off bridges.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Can wait until people like him are hung in cages off bridges.
I just don't understand. It's gotta be about ego after a certain amount of money. 24 million and you're set for multiple lifelines. Yet, this guy gets that every year. Insanity.

I mean, after a while, you run out of what the hell you can do, no? lol.

You buy your home free and clear. Buy a vacation home free and clear. Pay for your kid's college and buy them homes. You still have a metric ton of money left over.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
if we limit it to US employees, and the average citi employee in the US makes 100k a year, then the CEO "only" makes 242 times more than the average employee

does he think this ratio makes him look better or something?

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
if we limit it to US employees, and the average citi employee in the US makes 100k a year, then the CEO "only" makes 242 times more than the average employee

does he think this ratio makes him look better or something?

And using an average, rather than median, skews the number WAY high because of his own ridiculous salary.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pulling-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps-fucking-myth-Makes-u-think...-Pinterest-Truths.gif

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand. It's gotta be about ego after a certain amount of money. 24 million and you're set for multiple lifelines. Yet, this guy gets that every year. Insanity.

You buy your home free and clear. Buy a vacation home free and clear. Pay for your kid's college and buy them homes. You still have a metric ton of money left over.

It largely is about ego- it's their hi score.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
bougie asswipe said:
That comparison is unfair to Citigroup because of the employees the bank has in places like Mexico and the Philippines, where compensation is low, he said. Excluding those workers, the "average employee in the U.S. makes right about $100,000 a year," he said.
Read: "Please do not pay attention to the people we pay pennies on the dollar to in order to avoid having to pay someone in the US a decent salary"

Oct 30, 2017
He makes 17,000 sound paltry. And if that's what he wants to claim, then that's about 43k in today's dollars. 6k away from the median salary of the company. The current median Citigroup employee is making 14% more than than what Corbat started at in 1983.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's safe to assume that everyone who started at the same time earns the same as him now. And everyone starting now will get there in a few years.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good ol Citibank. I've never worked somewhere else that treated their employees more like statistics, who only rewarded yes men and ass kissers, and let exec after exec just burn shit down and leave.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This line of thinking from white men is always so absurd to me. As if they didn't have a leg up on all of the competition their whole lives just by being a white man.

Oct 30, 2017
Read: "Please do not pay attention to the people we pay pennies on the dollar to in order to avoid having to pay someone in the US a decent salary"
Presumably, almost every employee in the Phillippines would be making less than entry level US employees. So if they had a call center in the US or in the Philippines, that median 49k salary would not budge.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Bad metric

What was the CEOs compensation when he started? How does it compare to today?

Was also easier to hop around back then, labor had more options.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

People like him don't get to the top without the ambition to be the best. There is something else that drives them besides financial security. While his compensation is outrageous for 99.995% of the public it is on the smaller side compared to others in finance.

Last edited:

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
It's not a shitpost. They deserve worse, so I praise that poster for keeping it classy.

The only thing worse than letting someone starve to death in a metal cage would be executed immediately or tortured even more harshly. Is this what you're saying--wealthy people should be put to death/tortured?

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing worse than letting someone starve to death in a metal cage would be executed immediately or tortured even more harshly. Is this what you're saying--wealthy people should be put to death/tortured?

Oh goodness, no. No, nothing as barbaric as that.

I just think that we should eat the rich, is all. :)

Lol @ the outrage. Let's see any one of those people perform that job. See how long they last

See what I mean? Perhaps if we ate them, we'd be able to absorb some of their amazing ability and intelligence, since we're all too stupid to do his job.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This is how the ultra rich think, and why they are considered evil. THey arent, but their minds are warped into beliving they got to where they are just by talent and so everyone else deserves to languish.

Abigail's critisism of Disney prompted Disney to make the boneheaded statement that the CEO's pay was "99% performance based", as if he worked over 1000x times harder than anyone else at the company and thus deserved to be paid that much.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if what he said was reasonable or true, which it isn't, it would still only apply to one of a huge number of people who work there.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
People like him don't get to the top without the ambition to be the best. There is something else that drives them besides financial security. While his compensation is outrageous for 99.995% of the public it is on the smaller side compared to others in finance.
Never worked in finance, but I worked in another manic industry--consulting lol.

People would kill their health, their marriages, their sanity for the corner office. I just don't get that type of imbalance.

It's not fucking brain surgery.... Hell, pretty sure brain surgeons get paid a heck of a lot less.

Working with these types before. They don't necessarily get paid on traditional work output. They get paid on leadership, relationships, and networks. These are extremely hard to develop skills--they take decades to. My issue is that I still think it's outsized compensation. It's a US thing as well. Other countries aren't crazy about executive compensation.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
If we're complaining about Citi, I just want to point out that they paid their investment banking summer analysts overtime post the recession, while the other banks capped their salary regardless of hours worked. So Citi interns would just sleep at the office and make upwards of $10K more than the rest of us at other banks over the summer.

Still heated about that to this day. #eattherich #fuckciti

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol @ the outrage. Let's see any one of those people perform that job. See how long they last

Ah yes, making phone calls and answering e-mails while tracking your stocks is a daunting task. Not sure how many college degrees I'm gonna need for this one! I may even have to appear in a room of people just like me and feel good about my position while pretending to dangle a line to others.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Never worked in finance, but I worked in another manic industry--consulting lol.

People would kill their health, their marriages, their sanity for the corner office. I just don't get that type of imbalance.

My exposure to finance has been via law but these individuals are insanely driven. They share a lot in common with mob bosses/cartels and the like. Just playing a different game.

I find that the people at the top in any industry are insanely driven. At least the very successful ones.

Do you mean the quote is misattributed or Wriston was under Solomon Brothers? It's not in his obit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25323-2005Jan20.html?sub=AR

Corbat was at Salomon Brothers. That is where he started his career. Citi did not acquire them until 1998.