• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Terrifying and disgusting in equal measure. Obviously institutionalised racism and police brutality aren't contained to the US but being from the UK seeing things like that are completely alien to me, that a man can suddenly have a dozen guns pointed at him for no reason other than he's black and was apparently nearby a robbery that took place. I'm so thankful our cops don't carry guns here but my impression is that they're also much better trained and regulated too.

EDIT: Forgot to add that it was incredibly brave of the woman to intervene. She was probably extremely scared too but god knows what might have happened if she hadn't.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
And we just had another topic today where a poster came to bat with the same "Not All Cops" refrain. Cops should be the first one calling out this shitty behavior disguised as policing yet here we are with black and brown people and their allies being the sole arbiters of legitimate truth and justice. Lucky breaks of victims being in earshot of decent people with charged phone batteries shouldn't be the only way we end up protecting the victims of police brutality.

Jan 2, 2018
They can fuck outta here with that bullshit. People still die from those shots. They still cause long term health complications for people that don't.

Here's an idea: don't aim a potentially lethal weapon at people!

Indeed. That response damn. "Don't worry, it's a smaller gun than you think."

Motherfucker that gun can still kill him easily and that recording woman.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They're a fucking gang, look at these pieces of shit rolling up with like ten cars for one dude.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. I read a few posts before watching the video, but even that didn't prepare me for that small army. Absolutely ridiculous and she definitely saved him by streaming live.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
they were WAITING for him to make any kind of mistake with his hands. Looks like they all agreed earlier at the station that today would be a good day to murder a black man.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, the moment when he slightly lowers his hands as he talking to the lady filming made me anxious as hell.

I kept thinking this is what they were waiting for, the excuse they need to murder him.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck, the moment when he slightly lowers his hands as he talking to the lady filming made me anxious as hell.

I kept thinking this is what they were waiting for, the excuse they need to murder him.
I wouldn't have been surprised if they took that moment as a chance to kill him. God knows in that outcome there are thousands of people ready to offer the officers free legal defense with: "He shouldn't have lowered his hands"/"Why didn't he listen to the officers?"/ "Do you know what the job is like?"/"It's tragic but they are right to have not taken that risk when his hand moved"

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
There are so many issues with policing, but one that needs to be addressed is the "just in case" mentality. There is no need to have 15 officers respond in a situation like this. There is no need to have guns drawn when someone has not produced a weapon. Everything they do, all that fear that makes them want to be prepared to pull the trigger when there is even a .000001% chance they could get hurt (or mildly inconvenienced), all the boo-hooing about "I just want to make it home at the end of the day", fuck all that. If you want people to look at you like a hero making sacrifices, if you're gonna demand that respect, fucking earn it. If you want that paycheck, if you want those benefits, if you want to function as the arm of the law, earn that through treating people with some dignity and not valuing your safety to a degree where you are threatening the safety of other people. It's ridiculous, they walk around with a baton, a taser, a gun, pepper spray, I mean Jesus Christ, you're gonna give a bunch of scared racists a bunch of tools to hurt people?

Goddamn, I know it's all been said a million times but it's just the worst, the whole system needs to go, and if it's not going to come from legislation (it won't), accountability needs to start happening on an individual level.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Hm.

On one side, this dude committed a felony (robbery) and attacked a female employee who tried to stop him by slamming her head with a trash can.

On the other side, why didn't they just place him in cuffs with just one firearm trained on him? Just two officer's could have done the job.

Well, robberies are considered a violent crime in almost every state if not all. There needs to be a change on the lawmaking level.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
On the other side, why didn't they just place him in cuffs with just one firearm trained on him? Just two officer's could have done the job.
Why would you have a gun on someone when they have no weapon? You don't just pull guns on people just in case, for civilians that's a brandishing charge, but for cops it's somehow okay.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will the police astroturf the hell out of this accident with cute stories about rescued kittens and puppies?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The gun to citizen ratio in the United States is essentially 1:1. If Police Officers are so afraid of people carrying fire arms, maybe they should lobby for their own safety and work for tighter regulation on weapons & maybe banning specific kinds or limiting quantity can own, or I don't know, any other sensible approaches to remove weapons from the United States in such terrifying quantities.

...but then of course they wouldn't be able to just shoot unarmed citizens (specifically black men) whenever they pleased.

(lol, jk, of course they would, they're cops).

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Fucking hell, how ridiculous are police budgets over there if you can dedicate a small army's worth of armed cops to a single, unarmed man?
i got 3 cop cars and a sergeant out on me for a speeding ticket because i wouldnt let the asshole that pulled me over do a "reach search" on my car. And im a white guy.
we got cops for days for a black person "suspected" of *anything* its fucking absurd.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Your police shouldn't police themselves, independent oversight followed by hardcore accountability is dearly needed. It's the only way to break this loop.

Oct 25, 2017
reality:

113436260-young-black-man-in-new-york-crossing-the-street-on-the-commute-to-work-urban-scene-with-playground-a.jpg

what cops see:

YtXrR2y.gif

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Why would you have a gun on someone when they have no weapon? You don't just pull guns on people just in case, for civilians that's a brandishing charge, but for cops it's somehow okay.
No I agree, it's fucking stupid. Legislation deems robbery a violent crime and are meant to be treated as armed, regardless of circumstances. There needs to be a huge legislative change. This whole one size firs all approach is ridiculous.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tired of being tired.

I am a citizen of another country, and it fucking makes me so sad/angry to witness this shit in America. Like for God sake's, how does this not impact every single person in the country, and yet it continues to happen with no change it sight, for decades?

No country's police force is perfect, but how the hell do other places have officers who can act responsibly, calmly and with non-lethal force(i.e. Toronto van attack, those off-duty foreign cops on the NYC train) to more serious situations, whereas these unarmed folks are facing deadly force every, single, fucking time?

What makes it worse for me, is that we are only really seeing the visuals of this stuff since social media became a common factor. Just imagine how much more happened when the world didn't have an instant way of becoming aware?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Cops: He seems confused why 30 armed men have surrounded him for simply crossing the street. Clearly its the dope. Get S.H.I.E.L.D in here to set up a containment field.

Philadelphia police would probably chime in that they've got helicopters capable of dropping bombs if anyone needed a neighbourhood or two to be flattened.

"It's the only way to make sure that the suspect and everyone that shares anything close to the same melanin count in the area are contained"

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Around the corner from where I stay at. I guess walking anywhere at all is out at this point.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of American police remind me of the guy who turns up to a building site with all the latest, flashiest, shiny, most expensive tools and work gear, but have absolutely no idea how to do the actual work.

It's like there was a team of trained actors just sitting there trying to look like actual police officers until the real ones showed up and actually did something.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Remember this the next time we get one of those "white woman calls police on black person for merely existing" stories. This is the outcome they want, and thankfully most of those stories end up backfiring on the caller instead of an unarmed black person being dead.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Logic behind it is that you don't know if they're going to spontaneously attack or pull a gun out on you while you're moving in to place cuffs, so you have your gun trained on them or have ONE person with a gun trained on them until you can confirm they have no weapons that could pose a threat, then you put your shit away and arrest them. Even the one gun thing can be excessive when they have tasers and sticks and all manner of other shit they could use before bullets.

But at the very least, you could use some sort of logic to justify two cops with one having their gun out to arrest a single person versus an entire hit squad aiming to unload 16 rounds into a person each.

A lot of American police remind me of the guy who turns up to a building site with all the latest, flashiest, shiny, most expensive tools and work gear, but have absolutely no idea how to do the actual work.

It's like there was a team of trained actors just sitting there trying to look like actual police officers until the real ones showed up and actually did something.
That's exactly what it is. Police departments large and small are outfitted with Army surplus and likely aren't all that effectively trained on it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Logic behind it is that you don't know if they're going to spontaneously attack or pull a gun out on you while you're moving in to place cuffs, so you have your gun trained on them or have ONE person with a gun trained on them until you can confirm they have no weapons that could pose a threat, then you put your shit away and arrest them. Even the one gun thing can be excessive when they have tasers and sticks and all manner of other shit they could use before bullets.

But at the very least, you could use some sort of logic to justify two cops with one having their gun out to arrest a single person versus an entire hit squad aiming to unload 16 rounds into a person each.
I get the logic but the logic hasn't been working out, because cops are using that as their go-to whenever they feel threatened even if they aren't. It's starting the interaction off on a bad, potentially fatal foot off the bat, it's escalating things to a ridiculous degree.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Those twitter responses from their police account are something else man. What fucking world is this? Get me the hell out of here.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
"less lethal" is a funny way of not saying "non-lethal" (not that non-lethal even means never lethal)

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Those cops have nothing to do and once one of them calls backup or whatever they flock at the scene for a chance to kill a poc. Its gross.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck sake, I think there are more cops there than my entire town has seen in the past few years.

Posting from a UK perspective where our police are critically underfunded - yet this single force seems to have a SWAT-esque response to a single unarmed individual.

I also think that any instance where a firearm is aimed at an individual should be treated as intent to use and require an independent investigation to see if it was warranted.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
why the FUCK are their guns drawn at all, let alone a fucking army of cops with nothing better to do showing up for the chance to get a free kill
He "matched the description of a suspect"

Take a guess which description he fitted.

Also, I'm pretty sure that one woman was gonna shoot at the lady with that rifle.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You haven't lived if part of your routine w/ starting your car is making sure that anything you'd need if you're pulled over is readily available and in plain sight for any cop that might pull you over to see.

This was the first thing my older brother told me when I got my first car and I'm Dominican. I'm light skinned but have gotten stopped enough times for me to barely take my car to work.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
This is unbelievable, what did this man do to justify basically having a firing squad behind him?

Their excuse was that they had reports of a robbery near by and he matched the description so they had the whole PD out to get him?

Utterly ridiculous behaviour from the police.

A remarkable lack of respect for human life being shown in that video, thank goodness that lady was there to film it.