• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Just to add, since I know some Switch owners have asked: Hotseat will be added as part of a future update to Civilization VI for Switch. There are no plans to add online multiplayer.

Posted directly by 2K Games representative.

Firaxis Community Representative also explains why no plans for online multiplayer:

It sounds basic, until you realize that both private and public games required significant back end work.

Civ VI on desktop utilizes Steam for things like friends lists (required for private games) and server listing (required for public games). Implementing these things per unique system takes considerable effort. I'm aware the Switch has some of those systems, but it's still requires custom implementation.

The Mac App Store version and iOS version do not have online multiplayer for similar reasons.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never play Civ multiplayer so I'm fine with things as they are. It sounds like a bummer it won't get online for those that do care about that, though.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Always wanted to give this game a try on the Switch, seems like a good time to dive in. Worth nothing that is on sale until 8/11, too.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Switch version have expansion parity with the other versions? I'm undecided whether this is the version I want to jump in on and am curious if content has been regularly releasing for this one.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Switch version have expansion parity with the other versions? I'm undecided whether this is the version I want to jump in on and am curious if content has been regularly releasing for this one.

Currently, no. But they've said they intend to release both expansions by the end of the year, so in the next few months they'll be on par.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lack of sale for me until they decide it's worth the effort to implement multiplayer. I live 10 hours away from my friends and my laptop is booty.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
iOS just got xp1 for $30
They have already confirmed xp1 and xp2 is coming to Switch and the goal is to launch both this year. Probably as a $60 game with the base included

Glad to hear about hotseat being added and why online mp is missing on mobile and Switch

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate that Nintendo's poor online services is holding them back in that regard.

Oct 25, 2017
Their PC online multiplayer is bad enough with its constant desyncing. Couldn't imagine how bad it'd be on Nintendo's service.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
unless you are playing with friends, online is a hot mess on PC

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Their PC online multiplayer is bad enough with its constant desyncing. Couldn't imagine how bad it'd be on Nintendo's service.
That's because civ is mostly a SP game. There is a MP community who play but they probably just do p2p lan which is equivalent to local wireless on switch.

Also the the social aspects of Civ like the hall of fame games are SP affairs with people playing on the same map and settings and submitting their high scores to the organizers

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could still use LAN functionality.

Oct 25, 2017
That's because civ is mostly a SP game. There is a MP community who play but they probably just do p2p lan which is equivalent to local wireless on switch.

Also the the social aspects of Civ like the hall of fame games are SP affairs with people playing on the same map and settings and submitting their high scores to the organizers

I've got thousands of hours into each Civ game since 2, so I'm aware. I still enjoy playing Civ 6 multiplayer at work with a coworker, but the longer the game goes on, the more annoying it gets with the constant desync issues. Get to medieval era and it has to essentially reload every turn.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame the performance isn't up to par, would love to have Civ on the go.
The performance isn't that bad; it's far better than the iOS versions, for example
The expansions are due by the end of the year
Unfortunate that Nintendo's poor online services is holding them back in that regard.
It's not just Nintendo, they apparently don't have the capacity to implement online for any non-Steam version (they also mention iOS and Mac as having no online for this reason).

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who wasn't gonna bother with online but wanted local hotseat matches with friends, this is great news!

I wonder how the system will be able to handle the switching of players tho. I assume no fog of war (because it'd be kinda pointless anyway)

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loving the transparency from the developers regarding the various challenges bringing Civ to other platforms, wish the turn times were faster on other devices so I could play it away from my desktop.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Is "hotseat" where you pass it to other people in the same room? Or is that the thing where I do a turn and then later my friend can get on his game and do his turn?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Curious....is Civ 6 still not on any other consoles outside of the Switch? Correct me if I'm wrong I don't follow these games.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
Is "hotseat" where you pass it to other people in the same room? Or is that the thing where I do a turn and then later my friend can get on his game and do his turn?

Same room I think, the other sound like the classic play by email. That was the old times :-)

So Switch online is shit and they don't wanna deal with it.

I interpret it as they don't have their own infrastructure/backend and uses Steam. So all systems that is not using steam does not have online.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, it seems the developers don't want to implement custom implementations for the back-end, and this is why even the mobile offerings don't have online multiplayer.
Right. One would expect an actual gaming company like Nintendo to have the back end in place to allow this to function without significant custom solutions being required. I don't think anyone expects or cares about that in the mobile arena, particularly for a game like Civ.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right. One would expect an actual gaming company like Nintendo to have the back end in place to allow this to function without custom solutions. I don't think anyone expects or cares about that in the mobile arena, particularly for a game like Civ.
It seems more like their online is integrally built using SteamWorks, and anything that doesn't use that (i.e. every non-Steam version of the game) is simply getting no online mode. Not just iOS, they also explicitly cite the OS X version.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between the Switch and iPad Pro 2018 version which one would have better performance?
Trying to decide which platform to buy it on.
Uhhh, my iPad Pro is 2017, and Civ VI runs well on that, but Switch does far better (though I have had more crashes on the Switch version than the iPad).
Both versions are great, honestly. You can't go wrong with either. I do surprisingly love the controller controls on Switch, for what it's worth, I imagined I'd go touch only, but I prefer the buttons.

Ah ok. Then not sure where all these "lol thanks bad Switch online" posts are about. Once the game comes to other platforms and if they add online then yeah that'll add validity to those statements.
In general, Nintendo has not earned the benefit of the doubtwith online, but yeah, in this case, this thread is full of multiple clarifications (I myself have posted one multiple times), it seems like people are just ignoring that.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It seems more like their online is integrally built using SteamWorks, and anything that doesn't use that (i.e. every non-Steam version of the game) is simply getting no online mode. Not just iOS, they also explicitly cite the OS X version.
That's not how I read it. They say they rely on Steam and Steamworks because it provides everything they need for the back end and online services out of the box(citing some specific examples). None of the other stores/systems support everything they require up front, and would therefore require them to build their own solution, thus they don't support online for those versions.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how I read it. They say they rely on Steam and Steamworks because it provides everything they need for the back end and online services out of the box(citing some specific examples). None of the other stores/systems support everything they require up front, and would therefore require them to build their own solution, thus they don't support online for those versions.
To me, the fact that they say they know the Switch has these systems, but would require separate custom implementation suggests that their online is built integrally on SteamWorks, and any non-Steam version of the game needs too much custom work for the online to be rebuilt.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Same room I think, the other sound like the classic play by email. That was the old times :-)

I interpret it as they don't have their own infrastructure/backend and uses Steam. So all systems that is not using steam does not have online.
I think you are right. Sigh.... asynchronous would be amazing, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Currently, no. But they've said they intend to release both expansions by the end of the year, so in the next few months they'll be on par.
iOS just got xp1 for $30
They have already confirmed xp1 and xp2 is coming to Switch and the goal is to launch both this year. Probably as a $60 game with the base included

Glad to hear about hotseat being added and why online mp is missing on mobile and Switch
The expansions are due by the end of the year

Thanks everybody! You may have just sold me the Switch version, lol

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh, my iPad Pro is 2017, and Civ VI runs well on that, but Switch does far better (though I have had more crashes on the Switch version than the iPad).
Both versions are great, honestly. You can't go wrong with either. I do surprisingly love the controller controls on Switch, for what it's worth, I imagined I'd go touch only, but I prefer the buttons.

In general, Nintendo has not earned the benefit of the doubtwith online, but yeah, in this case, this thread is full of multiple clarifications (I myself have posted one multiple times), it seems like people are just ignoring that.

Yeah. I'm sure even with the Switch's bad online it doesn't do any favors but ya'know.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Hot seat was a glaring omission and I'll get some play time out of it. Shame about online mp but props to the devs for being open about it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Hot seat was a glaring omission and I'll get some play time out of it. Shame about online mp but props to the devs for being open about it.
Switch port had a lot of work out in it mostly on the controller interface which is essentialy custom made for Switch as there are no other console ports, and is awesome. But the core of the game is still the original iOS port (plus animated leaders missing on iOS) so missing hotseat isn't glaring in that sense as it's the same game on mobile devices.

That Switch sales exceeded expectations , 2K/Aspyr likely saw an opportunity to sell more units. And with lots of people asking for hotseat support, it made sense to add it in. I have a feeling the xpacs plus patches that come out for it and the base game.in the coming months will be more Switch specific rather than just porting what iOS got.

Also not advertised is the fact you can play a game on PC, save to the 2K cloud and pick it up on Switch.

This was added in April and Im not sure if iOS got it yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Interesting.... Even I wasn't aware of the save transferring feature from Switch to PC, as well as the reverse being true.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
To me, the fact that they say they know the Switch has these systems, but would require separate custom implementation suggests that their online is built integrally on SteamWorks, and any non-Steam version of the game needs too much custom work for the online to be rebuilt.
They said the Switch only has some of those systems, which is true. They theoretically should be about to get private games without much issue with Nintendo's API, unless it's written in such a way that removing it from SteamWorks is difficult (which is the implication).

However, I believe Nintendo is straight up missing some features, mainly related to public games. Their provided matchmaking is pretty basic from what I understand.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting.... Even I wasn't aware of the save transferring feature from Switch to PC, as well as the reverse being true.
You could always save to the 2K cloud since launch (see my OT) but at the time it was just a replacement for the Nintendo cloud. I did notice I could see my PC cloud saves on Switch but the game crashes when I tried loading

The April patch finally made it official and allowed.for true cross platform save support on both platforms

It's a very neat feature to be sure to be able to play saves between your PC and Switch. Right now the support is limited the base game. The addition of both expansions meas more saves would be available

Last edited:

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
I finally picked up this game last week (because of this thread. Ty OP) and have been having a blast. My frd who has put many hundreds of hours into Civ 6 is going to show me the ropes next week.