• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'll grab the expansion next week but I'm kinda annoyed how expensive the other DLC are. All together it's more expensive than the expansion itself. I'm just wondering how much it affects gameplay mainly from missing the wonders that could be really good for certain civs.

Does anybody here ever play the fixed scenarios? I never really have in any Civ and I don't think my friends have either.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
I'll grab the expansion next week but I'm kinda annoyed how expensive the other DLC are. All together it's more expensive than the expansion itself. I'm just wondering how much it affects gameplay mainly from missing the wonders that could be really good for certain civs.

Does anybody here ever play the fixed scenarios? I never really have in any Civ and I don't think my friends have either.

I got two of the DLC packs recently for the Civs and wonders and I gotta say the wonders barely matter. Granted, I also have R&F now too but even then, it's mostly just wonders I don't ever want to build getting added.

The Civs themselves though are cool. Not even just for playing them, but they add a lot of spice to new games since they operate differently from the original Civs. I'll probably invest in some more before I start my next game. Yeah, it's expensive. But they're probably worth it at full price. Macedon and Persia are my likely choices. I bought Poland, Khmer and Indonesia already.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I got two of the DLC packs recently for the Civs and wonders and I gotta say the wonders barely matter. Granted, I also have R&F now too but even then, it's mostly just wonders I don't ever want to build getting added.

The Civs themselves though are cool. Not even just for playing them, but they add a lot of spice to new games since they operate differently from the original Civs. I'll probably invest in some more before I start my next game. Yeah, it's expensive. But they're probably worth it at full price. Macedon and Persia are my likely choices. I bought Poland, Khmer and Indonesia already.
I'll have to see if I'll just shell out for it all and consider it one 60€ expansion.

Do we know if they have plans to release more individual DLC?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

Persia is really powerful. I just conquered the whole continent and I'm just entering mideval. I'm thinking of quitting and upping the AI difficulty a notch. The immortals are just so powerful at this stage plus the movement bonus makes you sweep through City after City very fast.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
I'll have to see if I'll just shell out for it all and consider it one 60€ expansion.

Do we know if they have plans to release more individual DLC?

Nothing's been announced but I'd be truly very surprised if they did not. The game is literally designed around DLC with leaders being separate from the Civilization itself. I'd expect some new Civlizations of course along with some leaders for previous Civs. That'll be a good way to get in legacy leaders people might like to see like Napoleon, Washington, etc. without needing to include them with an expansion.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

I got the digital deluxe edition at launch in 2016 for the free 25th anniversary OST and the promise of the 1st 4 DLC as part of the package. IIRC is was $30 extra on top of the $70 base game ; (Canadian dollars)

They ended up expanding the digital deluxe promo to include all DLCs released to this point, so I have all the DLC civs and scenarios and haven't had to buy anything. I'm not big on pre-orders or paying extra, but Firaxis has been pretty good about giving good value to their customers.
The only thing I really miss going digital is a pull out poster of the tech tree. Not that it matters, since its almost outdated as soon as its printed given how often civ games are ptched and stuff tweaked.

To answer your question, I almost always never touch scenarios in my Civ games, but since Civ 5, these scenarios are often made to feature DLC civs and add value to them as part of the DLC purchase.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Taking cities regardless of surprise wars or casus belli will accumulate significant warmongering penalties when taking over cities; should trickle down slowly unless you took his cities late game. Would've spent more time pillaging his tiles to suck his resources dry, that usually yields larger peace offerings. Then have his cities on the brink of rebellion through amenities and loyalty going down, causing the cities to be ripe for the taking with little to no warmongering penalties.

Interesting strategy, makes sense with the new changes too. I'll try that on France tonight, LOL!!!

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
I really only want this DLC to build a Dutch empire lol

Hopefully it's out for Mac soonish. Also I saw some posts regarding mac performance, the game isn't very taxing on either OS... it runs perfectly on my 2015 iMac.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Only one carnie survived..

source.gif
Their ship, their comrades, and their entire town. None lived to celebrate the crime at the Wheel.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Uhhh ok, so a few seeming AI bugs...

Roosevelt goes to war with The Netherlands, so on my next turn as a bro I declare a formal war on The Netherlands, and I immediately get a "No man is above the law, remember that!" from Roosevelt. I can't tell if this is an AI bug of if someone just put the wrong message screen up.

Also, no matter what I do in early game, Wilhelmina (sp?) always complains that I'm not trading with her. Dunno what's up with that.

Also god only knows how the AI gets to their religions of fast but I'm building colossal heads left and right and I'm still a lowly pantheon.

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish warmongering penalties earned in previous era's would reduce faster. That would be sensible while still keeping warmongering relevant in the short term. Once upon a time, the UK was a warmonger. I don't think the US today hates them for a war they fought in 1300 when they took a French city.

Very true. Although by the same token the UK isn't also still being lead by that same leader from 700 years ago who has been trying to "win the game" since 4000 BC.

I do think there should be more of a decline for light to moderate warmongering penalties as time passes. Like if you're eliminating Civilizations or capturing dozens of cities those penalties should probably stay longer, but you shouldn't get long term warmongering penalties for capturing a few cities from someone who declared war on you.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Uhhh ok, so a few seeming AI bugs...

Roosevelt goes to war with The Netherlands, so on my next turn as a bro I declare a formal war on The Netherlands, and I immediately get a "No man is above the law, remember that!" from Roosevelt. I can't tell if this is an AI bug of if someone just put the wrong message screen up.

Also, no matter what I do in early game, Wilhelmina (sp?) always complains that I'm not trading with her. Dunno what's up with that.

Also god only knows how the AI gets to their religions of fast but I'm building colossal heads left and right and I'm still a lowly pantheon.

Roosevelt has a stupid agenda where he hates people who wage wars on his continent (even if its helping him....) Netherlands agenda is to have you send them a trade route (even if it is not really feasible for you).

As for religion, faith does not generate great prophet points. The only way to get great prophet points normally is to build a holy district, build a shrine, and have citizens work there.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Tamar is so weak. Why on earth is her UU not a Swordsman replacement, and available at the worst tech in the game? Why is her UB a replacement of the least built building in the game? If you don't get a golden age her LA is pretty much useless and if you don't have a religion her UA is useless. She's too situational with no general bonus to help her out of her niche.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's complete trash lol, dunno what they were smoking
Put her walls at medieval walls, put her UU earlier/more relevant tech, boost her city state shenanigan that isn't worth shit vs AIs anyway

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Started a game as Indonesia, settled on the north west part of the continent. Discovered that around 20 tiles south there were two city-states that created a buffer zone between my civ and two other major ones ( Australia and India). So on this one continent (out of 2) we had three civs and two city states.

India settled on mid eastern part and australian on the southern part. I felt like okay they are giving me some space here in the north west to expand so i did, I managed to built up 4 cities all situated above the buffer zone and still relatively on the north western part with one city slightly north eastern. Nothing too close to a foreign city. Suddenly both australia and india declare war, I barely interacted with them in any meaningful way besides sending those welcome gifts and being friendly with my responses.

So my question is why does this happen? What triggers this sort of behaviour from the AI? I wish they made it clear why they decide to go to war when the leader announces war, its always some mysterious and generic line on the screen which i quickly exit out of in order to check the relationship screen.
Also barbarians with rocket launchers is a dumb concept, they should dissapear after reaching a certain age. Instead of spawning them in my civ when in a dark age just penalise me in another fashion. They are not even a large problem, just a small nuisance that adds nothing to the game after a certain amount of time.

Sea faring pirates would be a more interesting concept in the late game, disrupting supply and trade routes and forcing the player to secure ocean space.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
There is an invisible timer for the AI in civ 6, wherebye after a certain point the AI will declare war on you under certain conditions (usually that involves still being alive... ;-) ). It's very noticeable in many games how you'll hit a certain turn and suddenly two or three AIs will all declare war on you for no real reason, and not as part of an alliance.

Civ 6 diplomacy remains utterly fucked. Between crappy agendas, homicidal tendencies and the fact the human player still suffers insane warmonger penalties whilst the other AIs don't there's a lot to be fixed in the game.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
There is an invisible timer for the AI in civ 6, wherebye after a certain point the AI will declare war on you under certain conditions (usually that involves still being alive... ;-) ). It's very noticeable in many games how you'll hit a certain turn and suddenly two or three AIs will all declare war on you for no real reason, and not as part of an alliance.

Civ 6 diplomacy remains utterly fucked. Between crappy agendas, homicidal tendencies and the fact the human player still suffers insane warmonger penalties whilst the other AIs don't there's a lot to be fixed in the game.
I mean that completely defeats the purpose of the game.
Is it even possible to win a game without being involved in a war, or at the least finish a game without war being declared against you?

I mean being forced to spend resources and turns rebuilding tiles and building up an army to combat an AI that just assaults you for no good reason is a massive flaw.

Edit: As for the alliance thing, India and Australia demanded a peace treaty after 15 turns or so then just a few turns later declared war on each other.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol what
The AIs are trying to win, if you're pulling ahead of course they'll declare war on you

And yes I've had games with 0 war I think.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
lol what
The AIs are trying to win, if you're pulling ahead of course they'll declare war on you

And yes I've had games with 0 war I think.
I was not pulling ahead, in fact i was not doing all that well in regards to the overall score board, the AI trying to win does not mean war is the only avenue to pursue, surely. I was not encroaching on their territory, i did not hold any particularly valuable resources, they seemed completely at ease with me until suddenly they go to war and and get pushed back and sue for peace. And with no time to recover go to war with each other.

Thats pretty cool that you managed a no war game, must have been fun.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Sometimes? I always go for water or 1 away for an aqueduct. Hurts you too much early on not to.

Yes, i do that too. I meant that the game itself is suggesting these places with their city-icon. English is not my native language so maybe my wording wasnt accurate. Anyway, cant wait to rule the world today with Genghis Khan.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Because they were genocidal/murderous maniacs
Some of the leaders in the game commited atrocities as well. It is just strange to exclude the figures who can legitimately be considered to have had the most impact on world history. But yea your reasoning is quite sufficient, would still be interesting in some sort of scenario mode, maybe just as enemy leaders.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stalin was in civ 1 and 4 btw
No other leader in civ put in place a way to kill millions of people just because of their religion (among other criteria)

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the way, why are stalin and hitler not in civ?
Dude. Maybe also give them a unique districts death camps and gulag.

They are taboo subject and it's best not to mention them. If they added Hitler the backlash would be insane and the game would probably be banned in a lot of countries.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Modern civ shies away from controversial leaders, which is more of a function of time and the popular memory than anything (not many around to remember the 40~ million people Genghis Khan killed).

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Dude. Maybe also give them a unique districts death camps and gulag.

They are taboo subject and it's best not to mention them. If they added Hitler the backlash would be insane and the game would probably be banned in a lot of countries.
Firaxis would not be that indecent as to include those districts, i hope.

p.s Germany would either remove hitler or outright ban the game, so you are correct maybe its just not worth it in regards to financials and pr. Sorry for derailing the thread.

Last edited:

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
I really find it not immersive to have the Pyramids or the Statue of Liberty in my Netherlands civ for example. Why arent there "wonders" or achievements that fits for each of the civs and give the similar boosts. Sure it would miss the rushing to build the wonders but you could limit it to the ages. There are so many great buildings/parks etc. in all of these countries.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I really find it not immersive to have the Pyramids or the Statue of Liberty in my Netherlands civ for example. Why arent there "wonders" or achievements that fits for each of the civs and give the similar boosts. Sure it would miss the rushing to build the wonders but you could limit it to the ages. There are so many great buildings/parks etc. in all of these countries.
I agree, they should really make an attempt to further individualise each civ with their distinct flavour of architecture and cultural hot spots. Send somebody around the world to take photos of landmarks and iconic locations, or at least google image search it.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
While I like further individualizing civs in concept, attaching similar boosts to wonders takes much of the magic away from constructing them. It'd be trading more specificity in one aspect for less in another, and I'm not too gung ho for that.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
While I like further individualizing civs in concept, attaching similar boosts to wonders takes much of the magic away from constructing them. It'd be trading more specificity in one aspect for less in another, and I'm not too gung ho for that.

Thats what im really missing sometimes. I see the difficulty, also because most of the nations are relatively young. So its difficult to implement it balanced. Speaking of the wonders, only one civ would be able to build their specific one, like it is now with only the same wonder for everyone. Sorry, i think my english is coming to its limit by trying to explain some complex mechanics.

I think its cool what they are already doing with the specific districs, like the "Hanse" for Germany for example. I really like to see more of these effort in making the world more coherent.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Nice! Always enjoy reading these impressions.
Thanks. My second game is going much the same Science Route, but Extra Extra! Tourism is picking up!, as my first but this time I randomed into Australia and played on Pangea. 1 - Everyone seems to love Australia. 2 - Pangea is too cramped. I was immediately boxed in but have maintained Excellent relations with my neighbours. I have not taken over a single city - I have my little 4 or 5 main big cities putting in work and like 3 ancillary small ones when Oil and Uranium etc appear. It appears Australia is going to the Moon. Barbarians though can fuck off. I don't mind, much, a Barbarian camp making units but I watched as 2 Barbarian Tanks materialised as if they had teleportation right into my Capital. Also putting units on Alert doesn't seem to work?? They roll right past my Border Guard Units and they don't wake up - how close do they have to get before they wake up lol I am sure I've had it work before. I am considering turning off Barbarians in my next game - it's the dissonance I think - of a Barbarian popping out of a little campy forty thingy with a Tank or Helicopter. I mean really it's just not cricket is it. I've used the Governors better this time I feel - only hiring 3 of them and promoting and using their abilities where appropriate. Sleep has been lost and my arm has gotten sore for being in the same position holding a mouse for so long - moneys worth I think :D

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this has always been my biggest problem with Civ VI, and while the AI in the expansion does seem improved in many ways it's underlying faults still exist unfortunately. In both of my R&F games I've seen several AI's declare war on me early on, out of the blue, for no discernable reason other than "it's time to go to war this turn". In Civ VI you need to be prepared for a war at every moment because they really can come out of nowhere and from anyone, even allies it seems.

I like Civ VI better than Civ V in many regards, but the AI and diplomacy is not one of them.

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But this has been the staple of the series since the beginning. The anachronisms and "alternate history" as they even promote it. Did you see the movie firaxis put up? Vikings in space or crab god? They are hilarious.

https://youtu.be/UhxxO3qnFGs

If you want something more serious maybe you should try paradox's games. These days civ is a mainstream and an introductory 4x.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Thanks for the link Innuendo84

It would Indeed go against their tradition, so i don't think it will ever happen. But i think it could have a nice touch. I really like crusader kings II and its simulation aspect.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. My second game is going much the same Science Route, but Extra Extra! Tourism is picking up!, as my first but this time I randomed into Australia and played on Pangea. 1 - Everyone seems to love Australia. 2 - Pangea is too cramped. I was immediately boxed in but have maintained Excellent relations with my neighbours. I have not taken over a single city - I have my little 4 or 5 main big cities putting in work and like 3 ancillary small ones when Oil and Uranium etc appear. It appears Australia is going to the Moon. Barbarians though can fuck off. I don't mind, much, a Barbarian camp making units but I watched as 2 Barbarian Tanks materialised as if they had teleportation right into my Capital. Also putting units on Alert doesn't seem to work?? They roll right past my Border Guard Units and they don't wake up - how close do they have to get before they wake up lol I am sure I've had it work before. I am considering turning off Barbarians in my next game - it's the dissonance I think - of a Barbarian popping out of a little campy forty thingy with a Tank or Helicopter. I mean really it's just not cricket is it. I've used the Governors better this time I feel - only hiring 3 of them and promoting and using their abilities where appropriate. Sleep has been lost and my arm has gotten sore for being in the same position holding a mouse for so long - moneys worth I think :D

Those tanks spawned from enemy spies. There's a mission that does that. Turning off Barbarians would not help whatsoever unfortunately.

Plus, the game is balanced around Barbarians early game too, so you should keep them on!

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
One problem I see with the game is how they name or treat some elements.

For example: many complain about barbarians in modern ages. Yes, that's true... But in Civilization 1 those were called "guerrilla". It was more logic. Those units got the same function of being a threat to your cities, but more akin to advanced ages.

My other example is about the agendas. Tamar hates you because your cities don't have walls. That's illogic too! But in my mind, I see it as "If I were Tamar and I see my rivals doesn't have walls, well, it would be easier to attack them" In game mechanics, they add hate to her so it is more probable she attacks you... but she says "I hate you because you have no walls"... and that breaks the illusion of an intelligent or strategic leader.

BTW. Civilization 6 is my most played game on steam... And I couldn't play it for 6 months because pc problems.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
By the way, why are stalin and hitler not in civ?

They switch it up with every release. I think we finally stopped seeing Washington as the defacto American leader. Actually Lincoln might have been in Civ 2. It's been forever.

I still miss being able to create my own leader.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
One problem I see with the game is how they name or treat some elements.

For example: many complain about barbarians in modern ages. Yes, that's true... But in Civilization 1 those were called "guerrilla". It was more logic. Those units got the same function of being a threat to your cities, but more akin to advanced ages.

My other example is about the agendas. Tamar hates you because your cities don't have walls. That's illogic too! But in my mind, I see it as "If I were Tamar and I see my rivals doesn't have walls, well, it would be easier to attack them" In game mechanics, they add hate to her so it is more probable she attacks you... but she says "I hate you because you have no walls"... and that breaks the illusion of an intelligent or strategic leader.

BTW. Civilization 6 is my most played game on steam... And I couldn't play it for 6 months because pc problems.

I agree the writing overall seems weaker in Civ 6. Even the voice acting is a bit off.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I miss Civ2's throne room. I've never understood how it worked or anything like that, but I loved cheating to upgrade it fully; was a lot of fun to Young Me.

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why they are cutting some things from the series. Like the palace or the timeline of border expansion at the end of the game. Now the end game graphs are worthless.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the old throne room too, it was meaningless yet I loved it.

What I really miss though are the end game Replays, where you can watch how every civ expands across the map and such. If I could have one feature implemented into Civ VI, it would be the end game Replay.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Those tanks spawned from enemy spies. There's a mission that does that. Turning off Barbarians would not help whatsoever unfortunately.

Plus, the game is balanced around Barbarians early game too, so you should keep them on!
Ah thanks - I was planning on doing a France playthrough next and going hard on Spy stuff so I look forward to using that. I just assumed they materialised by magic and walked past my defenses. My immersion was broken as my Medieval Knight was garrisoned when the tanks rolled in :D I've learned my lesson about Barbarians at the start so I think I can handle them now. Did not realise it was Spy shenanigans. The More You Know. Cheers.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Tamar is so weak. Why on earth is her UU not a Swordsman replacement, and available at the worst tech in the game? Why is her UB a replacement of the least built building in the game? If you don't get a golden age her LA is pretty much useless and if you don't have a religion her UA is useless. She's too situational with no general bonus to help her out of her niche.

Interesting, having a good game with her thanks to the tourism bomb on unique walls and protectorate wars that's easy to take advantage of with the AI's tendency of attacking city-states. The faith bonus followed by religion perks of buying builders & traders with them and production bonus adjacent to holy site allows me to grow new cities at an accelerated rate.

This is all on emperor difficulty.