• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ended buying the game and I'm playing it with a huge smile on my face. I dunno the reasoning of porting this just to Switch and not other platforms, but I'm super happy with this port. I'd totally triple dip on it tho, as I love the franchise way too much.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this will come to other platforms eventually, it's probably just a resource thing. They probably (correctly) assumed Switch version would sell most due to portability, so prioritized that. But they have a gamepad control scheme that works well, no reason not to put it everywhere.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do late stage turns take ages for the computer to process or is it not too bad?

It takes a while for sure - but nowhere near as slow as I expected

Having played on i 6700K on PC before it is slower but not that much slower. I guess they must have cut SOME corners here or it was just really unoptimized on PC..

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing with a controller and it's comfortable to play. Also, I was expecting the game to look and run kinda meh, but it exceeded my expectations on both aspects.

Yes, but it's quite possible that early on in development they weren't sure how well the button scheme would work as iirc this is the first time they've developed controller support for a Civ title. Having the touch screen to fall back on adds a security for the development team.

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
Ds7l8toVYAAhFiw.jpg:large

Finished my first game. Cultural victory. I'm in awe of this port. It is Civ, in the palm of my hand. The User Interface work is incredible. I play 98% of the time with the controller. I love the detail in all the tiles. Sure, it's not 4K 60fps, but I can see cattle grazing, lumber mill logs turning, the carousels lighting up, etc.

Already dove into my second match:
Ds7mSYsVYAA-jv0.jpg:large

Took out two rival civs in the first 50 turns because they spawned within like 10 hexes of me. I was already going to try a domination victory, but that start sealed the deal.

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The nicest thing i think is how well it handles the game overall. Late game turns are longer than a high specced PC, but they kept in the multi-core support so you could be checking diplomacy screens, civilopedia etc and not be locked out staring at the screen as the AI process its turns.
I thought that was going to have to go on Switch.

I also feel liket Rise and Fall's biggest features shouldn't be out of reach for Switch. There will be additional calculations for loyalty pressure, governors and the introduction of a 'free city' faction, but nothing is going to break the bank. So I am optimistic we'll get an announcement in early 2019 along with the iOS port.

Last edited:

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Just played a couple of hours in bed. This is a life long dream come true. I used to try this with my ms surface, but this is actually works and feels comfy.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
The music in this game kinda sucks compared to the music of Civ 5.

Two Civs just declared war with me and the music didn't even seem to change? Is there no war music in this game? Civ 5 had some really epic tunes, the music in this game is so generic.

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The music in this game kinda sucks compared to the music of Civ 5.

Two Civs just declared war with me and the music didn't even seem to change? Is there no war music in this game? Civ 5 had some really epic tunes, the music in this game is so generic.

There is no war music. The music is more thematic, so there are multiple versions of the same theme.

Japan's Lullaby of Itsuki goes from

https://youtu.be/hsKBa2OCvBY in Ancient
to
https://youtu.be/6oXkQvQmqwA in Atomic (really awesome btw)

I like America's too
Hard times come no more

https://youtu.be/ze5-Ls-cWCU in ancient
to
https://youtu.be/lJqlNsGLmGs in Atomic

There are iterations for medieval/industrial as well not posted.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tempted to get this. I adore civ but I've got Pokemon, Diablo and warframe on the go.

PEOPLE TOLD ME SWITCH HAS NO GAMEZ WUT IS DIS

CarthOhNoes

Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy it. I made the mistake of buying it when I was half way through Pokemon Lets Go. I'm still half way through Pokemon Lets Go.
I wish I was at home playing Civ right now...

This is what worries me! Portable Civ, Diablo 3, Pokemon and Warframe which I have in my bag whenever I want? This is not good for my social life Nintendo ffs.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone's favourite civilization to play? I've done France, Egypt, Rome so far; can really notice the differences in their abilities.

CarthOhNoes

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone's favourite civilization to play? I've done France, Egypt, Rome so far; can really notice the differences in their abilities.

Anyone who allows me to crush Ghandi like the insect he is when he starts with his "Do what I say or I'll nuke you" crap. I'm ready for him now. Permanently keep a submarine or two loaded with nuclear missiles submerged off his coast, ready to shower him with warheads if he so much as blinks at me, the warmongering git.

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

They all work if you play with their strengths. Some civs don't work as well on certian maps.

General purpose good civs I like is Sumeria for the science and Rome for the early easy expansion. Germany is also strong with their unique industrial district.

I don't play much religious victory so can't speak to it.
On PC, i've won with Sumer, Persia, America, Rome, Japan , Greece (Pericles) they're all very unique.

Playing as Victoria on Switch on an Island plates map to take advantage of royal navy docks and lots of island colonies.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What size you guys are playing?

Im currently on large and it feels good even in the later turns

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely gonna pick this up for Switch. I bought it on Steam ages ago but I've got a sofa/TV setup for my PC and I don't really love playing KB&M with it and I kinda hate the steam controller. Would also love to have this to play while travelling. Absolutely perfect! So glad to hear that it performs well.

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
What size you guys are playing?

Im currently on large and it feels good even in the later turns

Won both games on Huge maps (largest map size available on both PC and Switch) and it runs fine. Longer turns in the end game for sure compared to PC, but it's amazing this thing is running on Switch.

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
On a won game, I kept playing to build nuclear weapons. Decided to share the following two clips for people
1) Declaring War to show off the nice leader animations

2) Nuclear strike - I had to do it

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
Had my first victory (cultural) yesterday with China. Starting my second game on a different map type with Spain.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
I will get an 12.9" iPad next week and I'm not sure if I should get it for Switch or iPad.

Does anyone have both versions? I'm tempted to get the iPad version because of the 12.9" screen...

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Depends on the map:
-Tomyris on Pangea. Hard to beat getting two units of, arguably, the best unit class every time you produce one and an easy way to spam field cannons by mass producing horse archers before you finish the necessary tech. Hands down the best domination civ (Sumeria is up there too but as good as war carts are, they don't compare to horsemen, plus they don't get a combat bonus from a Great General)
-Gitarja on Continents/Island Plates (No idea which leaders did/not make it into the Switch version so i'm not 100% sure Indonesia is in the Switch version, i'm just basing this off my experience on PC). The best unique tile improvement in the game. +1 food/production on coastal tiles is nice but the extra housing pushes it above the competition, making it easy to settle on the coast or small isles without needing to worry about fresh water. Also getting an early pantheon is nice if you're going for a religious victory.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Impression so far, no beating it, each turn takes a bit longer than on my PC, BUT it's actually very convenience to hit the home button to exit the game and immediately resume where you left when you come back. Whew boy, very good for pick up and play. Back to 2:00 am sleep habit again.

Controlling with joycons gets the work done.

Last edited:

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I will get an 12.9" iPad next week and I'm not sure if I should get it for Switch or iPad.

Does anyone have both versions? I'm tempted to get the iPad version because of the 12.9" screen...
I have Civ VI for pc and switch. On ipad and iphone, only the spin-off civ game.

I would rather have civ VI for switch though, as I love it both docked and undocked. I'm only ising buttons on Switch, while on pc (Surface) I was using touch only. And on pc (desktop) I was using keyboard and mouse.

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
Do you have any tips? I was definitely sidetracked by some fighting but I had the intention of a cultural victory from the start but in the end had a very slow Great People generation and did awful.

I'm playing on Settler :eyes_emoji: I play Civ to chill, not get stressed.

But I wound up making a lot of deals with Civs to steal their great works. I paid a lot for them, but I mostly did it with Luxury Goods that I didn't need because Cultural production gave me a lot of Amenities to keep my Cities happy. Hope that helps.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This has been a blast to play so far. Went from CivRev DS to this, so it is taking some getting used to. The game was yelling at me about Amenities and I went to go look it up. The Envoy system is super fun, I am becoming such an envoy obsessive, lol.

I still don't enjoy the military combat that much, so I will probably try to play defense/influence and grind out the other victory types. My favorite victory in CivRev was Cultural (loved seeing the color area expand and envelope everything) but it sounds like that is the hardest one to achieve in this game. I'm playing a demo round as the Germans on Warlord difficulty, and kinda backed into going for either a Tech or Culture victory on sheer production grind alone. You can really generate a lot of extra production with those Hansa districts! With the bonus for neighboring Commerce districts, the Germans seem like a high money/production civ. Just kind of building everything I can to get Great People points everywhere.

Do people like going for Religion? I want to try that next, all the bonuses and stuff might be more my style.

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

But I wound up making a lot of deals with Civs to steal their great works. I paid a lot for them, but I mostly did it with Luxury Goods that I didn't need because Cultural production gave me a lot of Amenities to keep my Cities happy. Hope that helps.

I think you can bump it up to Warlord for fun. Settler might be a bit too peaceful :)

This has been a blast to play so far. Went from CivRev DS to this, so it is taking some getting used to.

I still don't enjoy the military combat that much, so I will probably grind out the other victory types. My favorite victory in CivRev was Cultural (loved seeing the color area expand and envelope everything) but it sounds like that is the hardest one to achieve in this game. I'm playing a demo round as the Germans on Warlord difficulty, and kinda backed into going for either a Tech or Culture victory on sheer production grind alone. You can really generate a lot of extra production with those Hansa districts! With the bonus for neighboring Commerce districts, the Germans seem like a high money/production civ. Just kind of building everything I can to get Great People points everywhere.

Do people like going for Religion? I want to try that next, all the bonuses and stuff might be more my style.

Huge upgrade from CivRev yeah, though that game was a lot of fun, it's just way too simple. This is the full PC game on Switch, which still blows my mind.

I don't like the religion system in both the base game and R&F. It's a top request from Civ4 fans that I felt they added to appease them. Also since Civ just ramps up AI bonuses the higher difficulty you go up, it bocomes a chore to rush a great prophet. Whereas the science, culture, domination game you can spend the whole game coming back from behind, Religion is one where you have to be a founding religion and it's just unfun to get that prophet. They really should rethink how religion are founded, perhaps make it so that each civ can found a religion and it's narrowed down at a later point into a short list.

Frankly, I much rather relgion go away entirely as a user system and be something that evolves in the background. But yeah it's there if you want to use it. You can always use Faith points to rush buy Great People so I use it for that.

:Motorbass

Oct 28, 2017
The game was sold out in 2 stores with some backorders even. Found several copies in another store for 49€. Will start playing soon.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a guaranteed purchase for me. I just need more time and money.
I'm so tempted to get this. I adore civ but I've got Pokemon, Diablo and warframe on the go.

PEOPLE TOLD ME SWITCH HAS NO GAMEZ WUT IS DIS
I haven't played Warframe but I can see someone burning a million billion hours playing handheld Diablo 3 and Civ.

It's obscene to be honest. Should be illegal.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Huge upgrade from CivRev yeah, though that game was a lot of fun, it's just way too simple. This is the full PC game on Switch, which still blows my mind.

I don't like the religion system in both the base game and R&F. It's a top request from Civ4 fans that I felt they added to appease them. Also since Civ just ramps up AI bonuses the higher difficulty you go up, it bocomes a chore to rush a great prophet. Whereas the science, culture, domination game you can spend the whole game coming back from behind, Religion is one where you have to be a founding religion and it's just unfun to get that prophet. They really should rethink how religion are founded, perhaps make it so that each civ can found a religion and it's narrowed down at a later point into a short list.

Frankly, I much rather relgion go away entirely as a user system and be something that evolves in the background. But yeah it's there if you want to use it. You can always use Faith points to rush buy Great People so I use it for that.

Coming from CivRev, which seemed to be a game about "big moves," this more incremental approach has been interesting. I have a love/hate relationship with how the military units don't stack in this game... I love that I don't have to pile through Tank after Tank after Tank. But there is an annoying, "GET OUT OF MY WAY" with my own units that I am working through.

Interesting what you say about religion... I ended up drawing both Arabia and Spain as opponents in my first playthrough as the Germans and all the religions got founded boom-boom-boom in a row. As you suggested, it seems like it would be better if it were possible for every civilization to found a religion, even if late. It does sound like a lot of resources you'd have to rush early on to prevent yourself from being locked-out, and I imagine the AI cheats production quite a bit on the higher difficulties. Maybe they should do a system that rewards players who start first with first priorities, better bonuses, etc, but still make it possible for people to slowplay religion and catch up.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Ahh, i always play warlord at max

Is super fun to have a more relax game, oposed to a "war war" game. Also, you feel way more powerful

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Coming from CivRev, which seemed to be a game about "big moves," this more incremental approach has been interesting. I have a love/hate relationship with how the military units don't stack in this game... I love that I don't have to pile through Tank after Tank after Tank. But there is an annoying, "GET OUT OF MY WAY" with my own units that I am working through.

Interesting what you say about religion... I ended up drawing both Arabia and Spain as opponents in my first playthrough as the Germans and all the religions got founded boom-boom-boom in a row. As you suggested, it seems like it would be better if it were possible for every civilization to found a religion, even if late. It does sound like a lot of resources you'd have to rush early on to prevent yourself from being locked-out, and I imagine the AI cheats production quite a bit on the higher difficulties. Maybe they should do a system that rewards players who start first with first priorities, better bonuses, etc, but still make it possible for people to slowplay religion and catch up.

Yeah, Islam was founded in a trading city. Christians benefited from the communication networks of the Roman Empire and the far eastern religions had radically different genesis, some of more philosophical than religious. So I felt like for example, a Civ that had a lot of early trade routes might get a prophet, and one with lots of science might get a prophet through that angle and so on. So make faith less important outside of early pantheons. So even if not every Civ gets a religion, having the game unlock prophets via different means will give people a shot at a religion without fighting against the AI's insane bonuses. Religious VC is one I mostly ignore. Its something that happens in the background and I'm happy to spend the faith points on Great people, and maybe if I luck on a good religious bonus, I may build some extra faith districts for the tier 3 building bonuses.

Last edited:

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have any tips? I was definitely sidetracked by some fighting but I had the intention of a cultural victory from the start but in the end had a very slow Great People generation and did awful.
(I've won cultural victory on immortal, but not yet Deity)
-Theatre tiles, theatre tiles and theatre tiles, you need all the great writers, artists and musicians you can
-Don't worry about having too many great people and not enough slots. Every great person you generate means one less for the AI.
-Go wide. Cram as many cities as you can into your space. More cities = more theatres.
-Walls give you tourism too. Up to 6 per city (1+2+3)
-You'll want some faith too, to purchase the Naturalist. National parks have a whole host of requirements to be placed, but give good tourism.
-Build Art Museums through the first half of the game, but leave some space for Archaeological Museum for when you unlock the Natural History tech and can build archaeologists. Remember, only one archaeologists can be built per museum.
-Build all the tourism wonders, duh.
-Space Race has a civic that doubles tourism for established musicians
-Social Media has a policy that gives you +50% tourism with civs you have a trade route with. So try to have a trade route with all civs.
-Oh and if one strong cultural civ keeping you from winning? Simply, kill them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I read you can't play against as many AI civs in this compared to the PC version. Is this true?

It supports the largest map setting available in the standard game which huge maps with the same number of Civs as PC.

Standard Civ count on Huge is 12 Civs 18 City states
Adjustable up to 20 Civs and 24 city states.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Considering you can mod the game on PC to have you play against 30+ AI and the Switch version lacks mod support...yeah.
Yeah I meant without mods.
It supports the largest map setting available in the standard game which huge maps with the same number of Civs as PC.

Standard Civ count on Huge is 12 Civs 18 City states
Adjustable up to 20 Civs and 24 city states.
Cool, thanks. Is it native res in handheld mode?

OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I meant without mods.

Cool, thanks. Is it native res in handheld mode?

I did not pixel count but it looks to be 720p portable and 1080 or 900p docked. No AA is the most noticable thing.

Going from PC to Switch, AA aside, the biggest cut back visually will be textures are not super crisp like whatyou're used to it from the PC especially @4k, but pretty much everything made the conversion visually, including the civ leaders. I suspect most people who plan Civ on laptops or older PC will see much less difference. Also the texture issue isn't noticeable portable, docked you'll notice the texture quality when you are zoomed in on the map.

Also there is obvious LOD management when zooming in and out. The trees and fences on farms fade/pop out when you zoom out, and some detail on your districts disappear, but surprisingly little is adjusted. I forget sometimes I'm playing on Switch, but comparing side by side, yes you'll notice the differences of course.

The leaders look same as PC with less effects and detail. I shared these videos yesterday. Both are taken docked.
The most noticeable thing with leaders is @4K you can literally see their pores. The leaders on Switch look much glossier as they don't have that level of detail, some reflections are removed, and the hair rendering process is more primitive on Switch, but the general poly count and look of the leaders are there. Really impressive conversion if you ask me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dekuman

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Here's some comparisons taken from my PC @ 4K vs Switch (screenshots are 720p as Switch converts them to this resolution regardless of the game's actual res)

John Curtin PC

John Curtin Switch

Mvemba A Nzinga PC

Mvemba A Nzinga Switch

Teddy Roosevelt PC

Teddy Roosevelt Switch

Last edited:

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Imo you spend so little time looking at/talking to other Civs that it's not really a big deal. What matters more is how the overworld looks as that's what you're looking at most of the time