• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 12, 2018
I'm being offered ivory, pearls, spices, and 3 gold for 30 turns for my Holy Grail relic. Is all of that worth it? When you trade a relic, am I right in assuming that it's permanent and not just for 30 turns?

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm being offered ivory, pearls, spices, and 3 gold for 30 turns for my Holy Grail relic. Is all of that worth it? When you trade a relic, am I right in assuming that it's permanent and not just for 30 turns?
Yeah, is permanent

Is not worth it if you want a cultural victory. If you want another type of victory, is a good deal

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Take it, then declare war in a few turns to get your relic back from wherever they're keeping it.

It's only permanent if you let it be permanent.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
What settings do you guys play with so that there is minimal slowdown?

I started a game with the biggest map, 18 city states and I think 10plus civs. It ran fine at first, but I'm not even past the classical era before there has been slowdown.

I like playing on big maps with lots of players.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I'm on my first "proper" play through, normal map, 8 city states, the second easiest difficulty.
Things have worked out so I'm going for a cultural win with Britain, it's pretty exciting !! India and France just declared war on me though and I've noticed that the city states that you're suzerain for really come in handy. They automatically start warring with whoever declares against you.
My destroyers and battleships are way overpowered so I think I'll come up good.
Any tips on a cultural win? I'm gaining tourists but a long way off overtaking everyone, although am dominant over 3 Civs

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 186 turns in and don't even understand the tech tree. Help!

I've completed astronomy so now want to choose the next on the line - scientific theory. But when I chose that it shows it as third in queue and I have stirrups and then banking to do first. Why? There's a direct line from astronomy to scientific theory.

I don't get it and it's not explained. It makes me cross.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 186 turns in and don't even understand the tech tree. Help!

I've completed astronomy so now want to choose the next on the line - scientific theory. But when I chose that it shows it as third in queue and I have stirrups and then banking to do first. Why? There's a direct line from astronomy to scientific theory.

I don't get it and it's not explained. It makes me cross.

0be4d95ad10121c255c8a4d792227017.jpg

Scientific theory requires Astronomy, Banking, and Metalcasting. It's not enough to only make one connection, you need to fill all the lines leading to the technology.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm on my first "proper" play through, normal map, 8 city states, the second easiest difficulty.
Things have worked out so I'm going for a cultural win with Britain, it's pretty exciting !! India and France just declared war on me though and I've noticed that the city states that you're suzerain for really come in handy. They automatically start warring with whoever declares against you.
My destroyers and battleships are way overpowered so I think I'll come up good.
Any tips on a cultural win? I'm gaining tourists but a long way off overtaking everyone, although am dominant over 3 Civs
Do a lot of wonders, invest in musicians, artists and build districts that help store art.
Is a good start

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Got my first win, cultural victory. Hugely satisfying as my first ever wineven if on a Low level difficulty as I probably made loads of mistakes. As I got close to the win 3 civs declared war on me so I was fighting on 3 fronts while desperately trying to get the last few tourists I could.
The graphs at the end were really interesting that's a nice touch

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Got my first win, cultural victory. Hugely satisfying as my first ever wineven if on a Low level difficulty as I probably made loads of mistakes. As I got close to the win 3 civs declared war on me so I was fighting on 3 fronts while desperately trying to get the last few tourists I could.

Yeah Civs will pretty much always declare war on you if you are winnning. By the end of the game it's not uncommon to have the whole world at war with you, lol. It's a bit silly but it makes sense as they're of course also competing to win

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I already put wayyy too much time into this game. Such a great fit for the Switch. The only let-down so far is that there seem to be absolutely no news regarding the DLC plans for Switch. Wondering if the game sold well enough to merit the effort and/or if there might also be technical hurdles keeping them from bringing Gathering Storm and Rise and Fall to Switch (seeing that the base-game can already get uncomfortably slow in the late game).

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, congrats. You must be pretty good at it. I'm at about turn 200 on my first game and not doing too well I don't think.

How many hours did the game take you and what turn did it end? I'm at about turn 200 and probably at about twelve hours already, dunno what I've been doing all this time lol.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wow, congrats. You must be pretty good at it. I'm at about turn 200 on my first game and not doing too well I don't think.

How many hours did the game take you and what turn did it end? I'm at about turn 200 and probably at about twelve hours already, dunno what I've been doing all this time lol.
I was at turn 440 or thereabouts, not sure on actual hours but about a week of playing a couple of hours a day. I quickly established I was going for a culture win just based on a couple of early boosts that unlocked for one reason or another, but it wasn't until like turn 375 that the tourists really started ramping up as I unlocked the beach and sent archaeologists all over the map for antiquities

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus... bought this on sale a few weeks ago just picked it up this up today at 11 am...it is now 6:28 where the hell did my day go. I am shocked it's still this addicting on SWitch...I played CIV V on my MacBook a few years ago.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
What settings are you guys playing with? Any slowdown as you get deeper in the game?

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
What settings are you guys playing with? Any slowdown as you get deeper in the game?
I've been playing on regular speed with 8 city states and regular size map. There's certainly a difference at end game but not something that affected my enjoyment. During turns you get given information about what other CIvs are doing and they will try to trade with you etc

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Following on from this I've had my first major slowdown. I've got like 15 cities or something like that, spread all across the map. And it got REALLY slow. My "fix" was simply saving and powering off the switch. This made a huge difference and the game plays normal again. I think having it on rest mode constantly must not be too great for it, although it's the first time I've had to do that since launch.

On my way to a science win at the moment with Brazil. Although tempted to go for domination as I've had to defend myself a lot and ended up owning half the map as above

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone suggest some map settings that'll reliably result in a map where opponents aren't spawned right freaking next to me? Reducing the number of opponents doesn't seem to help, infuriatingly. Island plates works but only on small maps, but the only other option I can get to work is the real world true start locations map by specifically selecting opponents who I know'll start well away from me.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
My first game was on the continents map and I spawned next to America. I can't recall the settings for the second game, but it was within reasonable distance. In my third game, I started alone on an island in the island map.

I really want to play this again, but I am afraid to lose the last bit of sleep :p.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taking over a city is impossible! I've got two frigates, a sea dog, a catapult and an archer and I'm doing hardly any damage to the walls and I'm getting wrecked by mamluks. It's ridiculous. What have I done wrong.

Combat is so hard and complicated and I feel like I've been thrown in the deep end and will now waste the fifteen hours it's taken me to get to turn 255.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
Try using siege or bombard units. Archers barely do any damage to cities. Taking over cities is not easy, especially if the city is fortified.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try using siege or bombard units. Archers barely do any damage to cities. Taking over cities is not easy, especially if the city is fortified.
I ferried over a catapult but it died to the city attack before I could even use it. It was so annoying, I wanted to see what my catapult would do. Now I'm worried if I land another one the same thing will happen.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I ferried over a catapult but it died to the city attack before I could even use it. It was so annoying, I wanted to see what my catapult would do. Now I'm worried if I land another one the same thing will happen.

Yeah two Frigates should be enough anyway, assuming the civ you're attacking hasn't progressed too far in eras. I play on hard difficulties and usually have no problem conquering cities with less than that. Check if your opponent has some buffs/defensive structures. Cities heal every turn so it's best to go all out when attacking.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah two Frigates should be enough anyway, assuming the civ you're attacking hasn't progressed too far in eras. I play on hard difficulties and usually have no problem conquering cities with less than that. Check if your opponent has some buffs/defensive structures. Cities heal every turn so it's best to go all out when attacking.
Hey we're in the modern era I think and they have defensive walls. My Frigates take maybe ten defense off a turn off the wall so it's gonna take ages! I don't know why I'm doing so little damage, it's so slow this game.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Hey we're in the modern era I think and they have defensive walls. My Frigates take maybe ten defense off a turn off the wall so it's gonna take ages! I don't know why I'm doing so little damage, it's so slow this game.

Oh yeah in Civ 6 I think they buffed defenses but lowered health of cities. So like once you break through that defence, the city will fall very quickly. I think it's good tbh because it was a bit too easy/quick to conquer cities in Civ 5.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've got the city to zero health but I can't take it? I tired moving a Knight onto the dead city but the city still fought back and killed him. Sigh.

What am I doing wrong? I kill the city every turn just for it to get health back and I can't take it.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
So I've got the city to zero health but I can't take it? I tired moving a Knight onto the dead city but the city still fought back and killed him. Sigh.

What am I doing wrong? I kill the city every turn just for it to get health back and I can't take it.
Even if a city has zero health you need to survive one more attack to take it. That knight was probably almost dead, so it couldn't survive.

If you want a city not to regenerate health you need to surround it with units. Army units exert zone of control to the spaces on either side of them. The city needs to be completely surrounded by this zone to put it under siege and keep it from regenerating. Just remember that ZoC doesn't work over water, so if there's a river or lake the zone stops there.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Even if a city has zero health you need to survive one more attack to take it. That knight was probably almost dead, so it couldn't survive.

If you want a city not to regenerate health you need to surround it with units. Army units exert zone of control to the spaces on either side of them. The city needs to be completely surrounded by this zone to put it under siege and keep it from regenerating. Just remember that ZoC doesn't work over water, so if there's a river or lake the zone stops there.
That's a good tip, cheers.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks, you're right. That's exactly what happened.

I managed to take it in the end with a badass AT unit and the next turn Arabia offered peace and I managed to get three more cities from them. Taking the city was so satisfying when I finally managed it.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So what's the deal with nukes. I nuked Spain's capitalbut it's covered in radiation and my units seemingly can't take the city, but they have moved their own units there?

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
So what's the deal with nukes. I nuked Spain's capitalbut it's covered in radiation and my units seemingly can't take the city, but they have moved their own units there?
You should have been able to take the city. In fact I nuked China's capital last night and just rolled a tank in there to take it. You'll have to wait 10 turns for the radiation to go away before you can fix anything though.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Maybe certain units die to the contamination? I won on science anyway.

What's a medium difficulty? I don't like that they have weird names for difficulties lol

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Damn normal is pretty hard, I tried a religious win for the first time but religion seems weird, you have to totally neglect everything else and then just fall too far behind. Not sure what I did wrong. Started again and thought I'd go domination with sumetra, then went bankrupt trying to invade France ! Haha

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Am I the only one playing this? Prince difficulty seems such a step up from the one before it, make one mistake and you're done. Wondering how to make it easier without actually reducing the difficulty?

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Am I the only one playing this? Prince difficulty seems such a step up from the one before it, make one mistake and you're done. Wondering how to make it easier without actually reducing the difficulty?
I play it every night before bed.

The only other major difficulty thing I can think of is reducing the map size. Less civs would make it easier to deal with.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hmm ok so smaller map just auto means less civs?
My issue with last game was I didn't decide what route I was going down until I was already too late, it seems like you have to plan right from the start.
I also do not understand religion, it makes zero sense to me how you can focus on that and not lag way behind in everything else

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Hmm ok so smaller map just auto means less civs?
My issue with last game was I didn't decide what route I was going down until I was already too late, it seems like you have to plan right from the start.
I also do not understand religion, it makes zero sense to me how you can focus on that and not lag way behind in everything else
I don't care for religion either. If you pick a good civ for it like Spain or Arab it's not too bad. Yeah, smaller map means less civs.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
make one mistake and you're done.

Uh, what kind of mistake are you talking about exactly? This is not true at all. Prince difficulty is just as easy at it was in Civ 5, especially if you're going for an easy victory type like science.

On Prince difficulty it doesn't really matter to much, but generally yeah you do want to decide which victory type you're going to go for at the start of the game. It makes it easier with choosing techs, policies, and world wonders. It's not as important in Civ 6 as it was in Civ 5 though due to how much more difficult it is to make world wonders now and how progressing a very specific path became a bit more arbitrary due to boosting. In Civ 5 it was very important to rush your way to a specific technology and wonder, in Civ 6 it's a tad more laid back as the competition for certain wonders is less fierce (when playing versus AI anyway).

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, I'm playing it, alternating between this and smash. First game ever, at about turn 350 and its taken 25 hours to get here! Going for a science victory but don't think I'll win. Also hoping for maybe a score victory perhaps as currently second. Playing on prince I think (medium?).

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Uh, what kind of mistake are you talking about exactly? This is not true at all. Prince difficulty is just as easy at it was in Civ 5, especially if you're going for an easy victory type like science.

On Prince difficulty it doesn't really matter to much, but generally yeah you do want to decide which victory type you're going to go for at the start of the game. It makes it easier with choosing techs, policies, and world wonders. It's not as important in Civ 6 as it was in Civ 5 though due to how much more difficult it is to make world wonders now and how progressing a very specific path became a bit more arbitrary due to boosting. In Civ 5 it was very important to rush your way to a specific technology and wonder, in Civ 6 it's a tad more laid back as the competition for certain wonders is less fierce (when playing versus AI anyway).
Well this is my first civ game so it's certainly that way for me. The mistake in question was trying to rush a domination over france, and running out of cash to get the job done.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
So how difficult of a game is this? Itching for a new game and I've always wanted to try this series.

Deleted member 12933

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought this game when it came out. Haven't gotten that far yet. My only Civ experience up to this point was Civilization Revolution on the PS3. I need to really sit down and understand what I'm getting myself into with a real Civ experience. Revolution was a fantastic tease of the real thing and really wet my appetite for the this one.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I bought this game when it came out. Haven't gotten that far yet. My only Civ experience up to this point was Civilization Revolution on the PS3. I need to really sit down and understand what I'm getting myself into with a real Civ experience. Revolution was a fantastic tease of the real thing and really wet my appetite for the this one.
I was the same. Despite some finding glitches I found the tutorial helpful, then o did a full game on easy difficulty