• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who wants elaboration, or who thinks this is some new calculation by the 2020 campaign to get people riled up at the press, here's a 25 minute lecture from Bernie at a symposium on media bias

From 1987 lol

"... The impossibility of dealing with complex issues in 30 seconds. And then, what you've got, is evolutions that occur from that. You've got politicians that can only think in 30 second tidbits... And then that leads you to Ronald Reagan."

Lmao

Damn this is a good video.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
George Bush didn't have to directly call CNN, MNSBC, and Fox for them to toe the line on war with Iraq.

Good ole NPR. Owned by the public corporation of tax dollars.

Whether non-corporate or corporate, it seems most news companies took Bernie's comments for what they are(antagonism towards media when he doesn't get universally favorable coverage).
Or many careerist media staff like keeping employment opportunities open, regardless of where they currently work. The lion share of opportunity is corporate.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Back in the 80s, Bernie knew he would run on topics like healthcare, climate change, and media bias in 2020, so he laid the groundwork 33 years ahead of time.
Wow, you are so obviously biased towards Bernie. Here are the facts: Bernie ran for president in 2016, meaning he only laid out the groundwork 29 years in advance. That 33 year figure is so obviously manufactured, and everyone here can see through your attempts at normalising this conniving, Trumpian demagogue.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Good ole NPR. Owned by the public corporation of tax dollars.

Well, ummmmmm

ycckI0v.jpg

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

No such thing as media bias or manufactured consent in the media?

"We know that's not what he meant"

Wow, I'm pretty sure I've never heard those words uttered about Bernie in the media...ever. Biden's gotta be pretty happy to have MSNBC go to bat for him like that.

lol

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, you are so obviously biased towards Bernie. Here are the facts: Bernie ran for president in 2016, meaning he only laid out the groundwork 29 years in advance. That 33 year figure is so obviously manufactured, and everyone here can see through your attempts at normalising this conniving, Trumpian demagogue.
I give myself 3.5 pinnochios for comparing bananas to pineapples.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
For anyone who wants elaboration, or who thinks this is some new calculation by the 2020 campaign to get people riled up at the press, here's a 25 minute lecture from Bernie at a symposium on media bias

From 1987 lol

"... The impossibility of dealing with complex issues in 30 seconds. And then, what you've got, is evolutions that occur from that. You've got politicians that can only think in 30 second tidbits... And then that leads you to Ronald Reagan."

Lmao

Bernie seems like a great guy, the level of consistency is admirable. It's crazy to think that my parents were 10 when this released.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

From 1987 lol

Lmao

This is 50% funny, 50% depressing that the same issues still haunt us 32 years later.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I clicked that MSNBC thread and saw this the replies.

Oopsie! I wonder if anyone's going to take him to task on this in the debates.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they believe the same things. I think Bernie and his team are very smart and see value in retaining their dedicated base by turning them off of listening to the press when they report on Bernie negatively. I don't see them telling their base to not only read the Post but also a bunch of other news sources. I see them telling his base to be distrustful of the entire industry because the industry can never write a fair article on Bernie because the whole thing is capitalist.

The underlying reasoning is not as dumb as Trump's strategy, but it's just as manipulative to me.

And I should be clear I guess, this isn't that big a deal to me overall. I still think Bernie is a candidate worth considering to vote for if he has a good shot at winning the nomination. I just don't like this particular campaign strategy nor do I like how he and his team has drug it out all week. I would prefer it if his campaign strategy stuck solely to good policy.

Cosign all of this.

It's frustrating to see them pick this as the media narrative to hang their hat on. I just don't see media antagonism and doubling down on your base as the best move.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
He should be roasted for the glass stegal repeal, but the bailout was a good idea.

No, he should be roasted for the bailout. because it was just a give away no strings attached to the banks for wrecking our economy with their own hands. Bernie had the right idea. He wanted to actually have the institutions responsible for their illegal behavior to pay for that as recompense for saving them. Like investing a percentage of money they make into actually helping society like they should be doing in exchange for being saved and not this derivatives gambling nonsense they are still doing even 11 years after the fact.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Not bailing out wall street would have hurt regular people, not rich people, especially anyone near retirement. Pension funds would have been wrecked. . And Wall Street paid it back. It wss good progressive policy. Better policy would have had strings, but realistically we had do to it.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I am saying, you should actually look at what people are saying about this story, other stories and recognize that its an artificial controversy to deflect away from the real issue at hand.

I don't understand how this is artificial, maybe the media outrage about it is artificial. But, saying that the mainstream media is biased specifically against them because of who owns it is very much the current campaign strategy they're going with. It's something they want to talk about. That's the narrative they want to lean into right now.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how this is artificial, maybe the media outrage about it is artificial. But, saying that the mainstream media is biased specifically against them because of who owns it is very much the current campaign strategy they're going with. It's something they want to talk about. That's the narrative they want to lean into right now.

It's a bad move. Bernie clearly benefitted from the not-Hillary vote which is now split. He needs to make his message more appealing, not blame the press.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
It's a bad move. Bernie clearly benefitted from the not-Hillary vote which is now split. He needs to make his message more appealing, not blame the press.

This story is not the focus of the campaign. Just look at the totality of their social media engagement in the last 24 hours; this doesn't even put a dent into what they're focusing on, nor does it reflect what's being talked about outside of the media outrage.

Today's Cardi B interview with Bernie has more focus than this story, and that's just a fraction of what they've been talking about since this story broke.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Not bailing out wall street would have hurt regular people, not rich people, especially anyone near retirement. Pension funds would have been wrecked. . And Wall Street paid it back. It wss good progressive policy. Better policy would have had strings, but realistically we had do to it.

They paid back the trillions of dollars they got from the fed without any strings attatched? news to me. The point is not to let them go under and hurt regular people, its to destroy too big to fail, and disincentivize horrible behavior which we still have not done.

It was to stop such a thing from ever happening again, which we didnt do. We just went and saved them because of course we did.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
This story is not the focus of the campaign. Just look at the totality of their social media engagement in the last 24 hours; this doesn't even put a dent into what they're focusing on, nor does it reflect what's being talked about outside of the media outrage.

Today's Cardi B interview with Bernie has received more focus than this story, and that's just a fraction of what they've been talking about since this story broke.

Yeah, but when you look at David Sirota's twitter feed and the Newsletter they're sending out today. I think it's content shows it's very much something they want to talk about and focus on to a degree. When Bernie said what he said, it's very difficult for me to think he did it without knowing that it would be a fairly major news story for his campaign (even if it is just random media outrage).

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
:l i guess we are at am impasse, atleast you agree with most of my points. Let's leave that particular thread there

What's the impasse? We agree banks ought to have had restrictions put on them or broken up. Are you saying the bailout, which saved the assets of a huge amount of middle class people, was wrong?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Sorry, I'm not sure if there was a thread, I meant "we" in a broader sense lol.

If there wasn't a thread made about that article, I'd be very surprised.

Yeah, but when you look at David Sirota's twitter feed and the Newsletter they're sending out today. I think it's content shows it's very much something they want to talk about and focus on to a degree. When Bernie said what he said, it's very difficult for me to think he did it without knowing that it would be a fairly major news story for his campaign (even if it is just random media outrage).

Oh, they're definitely adapting to the narrative, I just disagree that it's the focus, as I actively follow the campaign's activities, press releases, and emails. Even on the subreddit, it's not a dominant discussion there at all.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What's the impasse? We agree banks ought to have had restrictions put on them or broken up. Are you saying the bailout, which saved the assets of a huge amount of middle class people, was wrong?

I dont think the bailout was wrong in itself. i think that it should NOT have been done without proper safeguards and incentives as a haggling measure in the position of weakness the banks were in at that time. We're talking about a once in a lifetime chance where lobbyists would be on the backfoot against securing pretty much anything in exchange, and we got essentially nothing besides some people losing less than they otherwise would have and the banks getting off scott free to continue their corrupt activities

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I agree on that too. I just think you can't roast Biden on his vote for it. It was a net good.

I wish you could, as Biden is only ahaed of Gabbard and Yang for me (and they don't really count). As I have said, all the stuff people exaggerated about Clinton is actually true of Biden. I really hope he tanks soon.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
If there wasn't a thread made about that article, I'd be very surprised.

Oh, they're definitely adapting to the narrative, I just disagree that it's the focus, as I actively follow the campaign's activities, press releases, and emails. Even on the subreddit, it's not a dominant discussion there at all.

Sure. I agree with that. I don't think it's the focus, but I do think it's a narrative they're leaning into, which is just me restating what you've already said.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the media is ultra sensitive to criticism because they know they have systemic biases that stem from:

Inherent bias from editors that live and work within the upper class liberal political sphere
Trying to keep powerful politicians happy to ensure access
Being careful not to anger big money corporate advertisers
Hosting opinions across the political spectrum without evolving the idea of the political spectrum since the 2000's
And having a general ethos of moderacy = neutrality

All working together to create a hostile environment for people who challenge the political and cultural establishment from which they derive and benefit from.

That or the left is just a bunch of whiny babies who get butthurt every time someone says something mean about their candidate.

Or maybe a little of both

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Well, I agree on that too. I just think you can't roast Biden on his vote for it. It was a net good.

I wish you could, as Biden is only ahaed of Gabbard and Yang for me (and they don't really count). As I have said, all the stuff people exaggerated about Clinton is actually true of Biden. I really hope he tanks soon.

I think we can, because there were people who were talking about this exact same thing at the time, and they were ignored by the people who wanted to treat the thieves who crashed our economy with kid gloves.

In Biden's case, the people who he directly allowed to commit the crime through deregulation under Clinton. And the entire neoliberal wing of the Democratic party at that time.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I think we can, because there were people who were talking about this exact same thing at the time, and they were ignored by the people who wanted to treat the thieves who crashed our economy with kid gloves.

In Biden's case, the people who he directly allowed to commit the crime through deregulation under Clinton. And the entire neoliberal wing of the Democratic party at that time.

Hit him for Glass-Stegal then. Hit him on 4he bailout and he just can say how he saved people's pensions.

When did the bailout vote happen? Was he elected VP yet?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I clicked that MSNBC thread and saw this the replies.

Oopsie! I wonder if anyone's going to take him to task on this in the debates.

That "Glass-Steagal caused the '08 Crash!" meme just won't die, huh.

There's plenty of stuff to knock Biden for on economics like the bankruptcy changes. Glass-Steagal and the bailouts aren't it.