• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
...? The article cites conflicting data, including a study which put the number closer to 50,000.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen Warren criticized over the stat terminology w medical bankruptcies previously. The actual stats are pretty messy because as a proportion of patients its a pretty low number and when you're looking at Bankruptcy cases its often hard to isolate a singular primary cause in the data without poring over it by hand, and the 500K will include people for whom medical debt is incidental.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
and that doesn't even include the pepole that just... ya no... die from not being able to afford care.

wapo are enablers of this broken systems. Fucking gross.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah this totally misses the point.

500K bankruptcies involve Medical bills as part of it. That does not mean 500 K were caused by them.

If you have a $1000 Dr bill and a 150K business loan and you're bankrupt, it will count for the 500k, but stating the Medical bill caused it would be...very much not correct.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

Shrewd politicos will note that HoarseWhisperer's tweet is not even true on face value. Clinton ultimately won the nomination thanks to superdelegates, the appointed group of Democrats who largely represent the party's elite. While Clinton indeed had won more votes and more delegates in Democratic caucuses and primaries, she did not have enough to win based on that alone. The near-unanimous support of super-delegates put her over the top.

This is enough to dismiss this Salon article.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah this totally misses the point.

500K bankruptcies involve Medical bills as part of it. That does not mean 500 K were caused by them.

If you have a $1000 Dr bill and a 150K business loan and you're bankrupt, it will count for the 500k, but stating the Medical bill caused it would be...very much not correct.

That tweet is from a parody account and isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
It does line up with what Bernie wants though. He's the only candidate who has openly supported superdelegates voting against the majority winner.
the point of the super delegates is clear to me, and there is a case to be made for them not voting for the winner (I.e. against a trump like figure taking over the party) so not sure why you think this is some Bernie thing.
keep grinding that axe I guess

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the point of the super delegates is clear to me, and there is a case to be made for them not voting for the winner (I.e. against a trump like figure taking over the party) so not sure why you think this is some Bernie thing.
keep grinding that axe I guess
They're a tiebreaker and/or an emeegency killswitch in case of a John Edwards.

Flipping an election result wholesale outside of the latter circumstance would implode the party.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
They're a tiebreaker and/or an emeegency killswitch in case of a John Edwards.

Flipping an election result wholesale outside of the latter circumstance would implode the party.

^ Correct. Outside of two very very rare cases, they should never be involved other than voting the majority.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The 500,000 bankruptcies claim is worth Pinocchios because it's the kind of thing that gets easily deflated and dismissed.

Sanders doesn't have to exaggerate to make a valid point but often does and it undermines his credibility.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Yeah man because all these cheerleaders of the status quo are doing such a great job. Obviously I was being a little facetious but yeah, speak about being the lesser evil.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
When faced with a health crisis, and stories where people have outright died, for things like rationing insulin, the answer should -never- be pedantry

And far too many times that seems to be the response from certain privileged groups. It denotes a lack of humanity and a grave misunderstanding of what's at stake— often the very lives of people.

It'd do them well to remember that just because they're one inch farther from the precipice, it doesn't mean they won't fall eventually.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
To be honest, I'm not so sure that the party wouldn't implode in an emergency kill switch situation. To even have a Dem candidate be successful enough where that would be necessary would mean that the party not be the same party that it is today. Our current electorate would never nominate someone that needed to be torpedoed by superdelegates; too many safeguards to break through before it would get to that point.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When faced with a health crisis, and stories where people have outright died, for things like rationing insulin, the answer should -never- be pedantry

And far too many times that seems to be the response from certain privileged groups. It denotes a lack of humanity and a grave misunderstanding of what's at stake— often the very lives of people.

It'd do them well to remember that just because they're one inch farther from the precipice, it doesn't mean they won't fall eventually.

The answer in this climate is more precision, not less.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017

The answer given isn't "pedantry" though, it isn't like this is the outlet's or even the writer's core thoughts about the current healthcare situation. This is the latest edition in a running article series about "facts" (I think the core concept is stupid but whatever), therefore to me it isn't people weaponising a minor mistakes to shit on life-changing legislation. The truth is that we live in a world that is profoundly broken and unfair, and there are an almost infinite amount of potential solutions. Indulging the impulse to discard legitimate critique of our underlying assumptions, gets us further away from being a society that can make decisions in the best possible way.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could we at least read the actual WaPo story?

The AJPH editorial did not undergo the same peer-reviewed editing process as a research article.

"In AJPH, many editorials are commissioned by the editor-in-chief from experts in their field(s), as a forum to present their most recent or preliminary findings on specific topics, or to coincide with significant dates or events," said Morgan Richardson, an AJPH editor. "Lack of peer review does not indicate inaccuracy, but editorials are less likely to be cited in the scientific literature as evidence because the standard of rigor is different due to context."

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
A good attempt at defending the status quo by trying to take away the reality of the situation. This is why the system is so messed up. Can't allow people to see that though, right?

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the twitter user and you should read the article? Cause those numbers are brought up. A more precise study rebutting the original numbers came out.

that study takes 'a random sample of California hospital patients between 2003 and 2007' and then the author estimates the number across the entire country which is absolutely insane (and makes the guy look like a real dumb statistician)

and it also stops in 2007, I wonder what happened to peoples finances after 2007

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that study takes 'a random sample of California hospital patients between 2003 and 2007' and then the author estimates the number across the entire country which is absolutely insane (and makes the guy look like a real dumb statistician)

If that's insane how is the other study better? They mass mailed people who filed bankruptcy and asked if they had medical bills involved. A minority responded and the study then considered anyone with medical bills declaring bankruptcy as having declared bankruptcy because of medical bills.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
What do you expect? Someone has a major surgery or health problem one year, the first thing they are going to do is start charging their every day expenses on the credit card because they have so many damn medical bills, so this notion that the numbers is inflated is a really interesting approach that you would almost have to attempt to push. Fact of the matter is, no one should have to pay what we pay in this country each year for insurance OR the care that is provided.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you expect? Someone has a major surgery or health problem one year, the first thing they are going to do is start charging their every day expenses on the credit card because they have so many damn medical bills, so this notion that the numbers is inflated is a really interesting approach that you would almost have to attempt to push. Fact of the matter is, no one should have to pay what we pay in this country each year for insurance OR the care that is provided. We pay twice as much as other countries, and that is even BEFORE we have to use the damn insurance, which isn't even insurance.

That study doesn't identify those people without also including those with bills they just happened to have at the time or those who had other massive debts that drove bankruptcy. It's not a good way to measure what they're trying to measure.

it makes it a better estimate than back of the napkin math from a California study using 10 year old data

No it doesn't.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Well Obamacare was supposed to end medical bankruptcies, so I guess I see the need in refuting the stats because right now the alternative on the left is small enhancements to it.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well Obamacare was supposed to end medical bankruptcies, so I guess I see the need in refuting the stats because right now the alternative on the left is small enhancements to it.

It was never to end medical bankruptcies but reduce them. Knowing what they were before and after the law, accurately, is extremely important.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Wow is that a disingenuous Salon article.
Fucking how? There is literally nothing disingenuous about it. Like its literally an accurate report of how things went down.

Edit: just saw the super delegates part. Not sure how I missed that paragraph. I definitely don't agree with that part.

However I will say. A large portion of super delegates were pledged well before it came to convention time, so I think anyone claiming that they were distributed purely on the basis of who had more delegates in the end is not fully accurate either.

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

The rollingstone fact-checked WaPo's' story and I have to say, WaPo created this mess for themselves.

Sanders's team told the Post that the Vermont Senator was relying on an estimate published in a medical journal that found that 66.5% of bankruptcy filers cited either medical bills or missed work due to illness as a reason they went broke. The journal itself said this was "equivalent to about 530,000 medical bankruptcies annually."

At first glance, it appears Bernie understated the problem by rounding down. The checker did an admirable thing and reached out to the author of the study, Dr. David Himmelstein, a professor of public health in the CUNY system and a lecturer at Harvard Medical School. "When we asked Himmelstein whether Sanders was quoting his study accurately," the fact checker reports, "he said yes."

Himmelstein went on to unpack for the fact checker that, even if you were to adopt a more limited measure of bankruptcies that were "very much" linked to medical debt, the number of people going broke is still north of 500,000 a year, because a single bankruptcy typically affects multiple people in a family unit. "Even if you use that restricted definition, then Sanders's statement is accurate — or an underestimate," Himmelstein said.

Subjecting political speechmaking to this kind of nitpick is folly. The entire nature of the political enterprise is looser than that. Politicians speak to broad systemic problems. If they're sharp and persuasive, they have statistics at hand. And if their staff is any good, those statistics have reputable studies to back them up. By any meaningful measure what Sanders said is accurate for the purposes of the project. If citing a study accurately enough to satisfy its author still gets a "mostly false," it's hard to know what could possibly pass muster.

In reality, translating any academic study into mass-market speech necessarily requires getting out of the weeds, making simplifications, and discarding the footnoted caveats. To dole out Pinocchios for a good faith effort to translate public health data into a stump speech is journalistically obtuse — all the moreso in a world where the President daily tells us up is down, left is right, and his Doral golf resort doesn't have bedbugs.

This pettifogging brand of fact checking is also ironic, precisely because editors and writers commit the same abstractions politicians do. Including the Washington Post. Including on this very piece.

Is that accurate? By the Post's own test, it appears to represent: "Some shading of the facts. Selective telling of the truth. Some omissions and exaggerations." We'd have to give it One Pinocchio.

There now appear to be factual problems with the fact check itself.

The Post author claimed that Himmelstein's journal article had not been peer reviewed. In a letter by Himmelstein, tweeted out by a senior Sanders adviser, the doctor says that is not true, writing: "Your false claim has besmirched my reputation as a scholar."

Glenn Kessler, the chief of the Post's Fact Check project, has responded. He maintains the sentence "The AJPH editorial did not undergo the same peer-reviewed editing process as a research article" and a supporting quote in the next paragraph describing a "lack of peer review" did not mean to imply that Himmelstein's paper was not peer reviewed.

So the main take-aways for me here are that 1) Sanders was just repeating what the study said (rounding down the number, in fact) and did not actually spin the study's findings out of context, and 2) The author made the same kind of disingenuous statements he's accusing Sanders of making. Why am I not surprised?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The rollingstone fact-checked WaPo's' story and I have to say, WaPo created this mess for themselves.

So the main take-aways for me here are that 1) Sanders was just repeating what the study said (rounding down the number, in fact) and did not actually spin the study's findings out of context, and 2) The author made the same kind of disingenuous statements he's accusing Sanders of making. Why am I not surprised?

Sanders is making a claim that a) isn't actually supported by the study he cites and b) is contradicted by other studies. The study does not show the number of people who declared bankruptcy because of medical bills. It shows how many people declared bankruptcy that say they had medical bills. No attempt is made to objectively quantify the latter's relationship to the former.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Sanders is making a claim that a) isn't actually supported by the study he cites and b) is contradicted by other studies. The study does not show the number of people who declared bankruptcy because of medical bills. It shows how many people declared bankruptcy that say they had medical bills. No attempt is made to objectively quantify the latter's relationship to the former.

The author of that study disagrees with you. The study says "equivalent of 530,000 medical bankruptcies" and that's all Sanders would need to accurately cite the study. Furthermore. Sanders is citing the author's conclusions and relying on the expertise of author, not drawing his own conclusions about the study. If you want to find fault with that he said, then it should be on the basis that he cites a study that you don't agree with, not that he's making a claim that the study doesn't support.

As you'll see from the receipts already posted, there wasn't actually a "lack of peer review".

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The author of that study disagrees with you. The study says "equivalent of 530,000 medical bankruptcies" and that's all Sanders would need to accurately cite the study. Furthermore. Sanders is citing the author's conclusions and relying on the expertise of author, not drawing his own conclusions about the study. If you want to find fault with that he said, then it should be on the basis that he cites a study that you don't agree with, not that he's making a claim that the study doesn't support.

They are rating the claim. The evidence does not support the claim. It's incredibly simple. If I say humans are not causing global warming and then point to a paper saying the same, it doesn't make my claim true. If the paper is flawed it doesn't support the claim, even if the author claims otherwise.

I really don't understand. The study identifies those declaring bankruptcy that had medical bills. That's simply not the same thing as those declaring bankruptcy because of medical bills.

As you'll see from the receipts already posted, there wasn't actually a "lack of peer review".

"Lack of peer review" is a portion of a direct quote from the editor of the journal that published the editorial. WaPo simply states it didn't go through the same peer review that research papers do.

Last edited: